Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 78 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 58 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I got 60km in today in 2:15 of actual riding time . I had planned to go further but a flat tyre took the time away.

Started raining after about 20km. Stopped and grabbed a can of Coke after 40km (learnt that from the tour). Flat tyre at 50km and being cold and wet and running late I cut it short.

Does anyone have any tips for changing a rear tyre without getting crap all over your hands.

keep a glove in with your spare tubes
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

goughy

Pick a thread, any thread! Well, it was mostly riding so this one'll do!

Been very lazy this week with the move missing all my workouts so I was determined to keep todays! And what a day it was. Was gonna drive from the new house to my mates to start today but thought bugger it, I'll ride from home. My reasoning was I didn't feel like starting our 60k with a 5k climb, but what the heck. It wasn't too bad. Ended up pushing out 75k today, with shit loads of climbs and just for the fun of it went for a 5 odd k run when I got home. I was shagged off the bike and with our house surrounded by hills I struggled but loved it. Had to walk a few times up some very steep sections, but after that ride I didn't have much choice. Another mate has joined us which slows us down a bit on the uphills. Going up one big one (Mt Kynoch for any that know Toowoomba; about 2+k fairly constant and steep) he was struggling so I hung behind him to keep him company but pedalled right leg 10 rev's then left leg 10 rev's for most of it. That was interesting.

In the end started riding this morning at about 5:40am and finished running a bit after 11am (20mins at the coffee shop for good measure!). 3hrs37mins riding and 37mins running.

Most extreme workout I've ever done and toughest brick session ever too. Hurts like hell too but dang it feels good. Also burnt 2500 calories so I can eat whatever I want today

Senior Member Major Winner

This thread has lost control. Time to shut it down!
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Pick a thread, any thread! Well, it was mostly riding so this one'll do! Been very lazy this week with the move missing all my workouts so I was determined to keep todays! And what a day it was. Was gonna drive from the new house to my mates to start today but thought bugger it, I'll ride from home. … Another mate has joined us which slows us down a bit on the uphills. Going up one big one (Mt Kynoch for any that know Toowoomba; about 2+k fairly constant and steep) he was struggling so I hung behind him to keep him company but pedalled right leg 10 rev's then left leg 10 rev's for most of it…20mins at the coffee shop for good measure!). …Also burnt 2500 calories so I can eat whatever I want today
    Nice workout. I ride a bit with a mate who is slower, makes for an easy ride for me but is good socially. I have never understood the coffee shop thing to be honest. At the end of a hard ride I never feel like a coffee. I use the calorie burn thing as an excuse to eat what I want too…maybe that is why I am not losing weight!

I just signed up for the Spring Cycle - the fun ride that got me into cycling a year ago. 40 km's through Sydney (including over the Harbour Bridge), with an extra 10 km's around the Olympic precinct at Homebush to round off at 50. It's a pretty cruisy ride really, but a ton of fun nonetheless.

I've decided that I want to give myself every chance of doing the Sydney to Wollongong ride later in the year (November), which is 90-odd km's, with a few more significant hills. Perhaps even just to pick one of the different starting locations to shorten it to 60 km's.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Might do this too Dan the Liverpool start is only round the corner from My house. 50km would be a good training event for the paddle only a month later.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Blog Entries

Entered the event tonight, 50km from Prestons to Sydney Olympic Park. 60km if I do the optional 10km lap around Homebush. I gather you will be doing the North Sydney part Dan.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Entered the event tonight, 50km from Prestons to Sydney Olympic Park. 60km if I do the optional 10km lap around Homebush. I gather you will be doing the North Sydney part Dan.
    Yep - starting at St Leonards Park (North Sydney Oval), which gives us the opportunity to ride across the bridge - a once in a year opportunity. They also close the old Pyrmont bridge and we go over that too. Took about 3.5 hours last year - we started at 7am but by the end it was a stinking hot day.

I rode out of Homebush to Meadowbank which made it just short of 60 km's for the day. I'll probably ride home from Homebush this year - makes it about 65-70 km's all up, with a few tough hills towards the end of the journey.

Blog Entries

Yeah I did the North Sydney one a few years back as a training ride for the RTA big ride. Is pretty good going over the Bridge. The ride was to Parramatta Park then though.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

All you Sydney Ozgolf Riders:
    www.probikemechanic.com.au
    This is a mate of mine, Pete Mcdonald, some might know him as Australian Road Bike Champion!
    Anyway he does bike repairs/servicing, has a little shop in Alexandria, but will come to you!

Blog Entries

Pulled my finger out this afternoon and serviced the road bike. After I finished I gave it a good clean and it is now ready for riding once again. I do need some new rubber on it though the sidewalls of the tyres are cracked as the rubber has gone off.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Blog Entries

35km Ride today. Bike needs some further tweaking and fine tuning of the gears. Need new brake pads, they have gone hard and just slide on the rim. Might be easier just to slip into a bike shop for a full going over and see what I can and cant do myself.

M7 Bike Path is great, first time ride on it today. Rode from Prestons to The Horsley Drive and return, man those hills near Horsley Drive are tough. 35 was a good shakedown ride the 50 to Homebush should be good too.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

goughy

Time to bring out the green eyes of jealousy!!!!

I ride on sundays with a couple of mates. One's been riding a while longer than me and has a bike maybe 2 or 3 times better than mine. But I'm faster now

The other has just gotten into the riding and tri thing. He's been riding with us maybe 5 weeks on a borrowed bike. Yesterday he picked up a 2008 Specialized with durace groupset, full carbon for 5k! I hate him . Even worse 'cause I have a thing for Specialized bikes. How do I face him without him knowing I hate his guts!

OK, jealous rant over. I'm still faster!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Damn! 5k for a big is insane. Can they get much more expensive?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by ParMaster View Post
    Damn! 5k for a big is insane. Can they get much more expensive?
    Yes, I just did a quick search and found this one. You can spend heaps on a bike.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Wow thats insane..

I just had the thought that there'd be bike ho's like there are golf ho's.

Banned

I should buy a bike.

Blog Entries

$19,000 for a Trek Time-Trial bike (prepared by the same boffins as Armstong's bike), is the highest Australian retail that I have seen.

Admittedly, the dollar was at its lowest, and the blue 350cc Callaway Great Big Bertha 2 was just released at $925.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

goughy

Add a set of Zipp Sub9 disk and 1080 front to any bike and there's an extra 5 or 6k. Then SRAM groupset, no better than Shimano but much bigger bling factor!

In Tri mags I've seen plenty of people spending over 10k US on bikes. One brand called Blue includes 2 hours in the big name wind tunnel in the states including airfare - there's a lazy 2k+ included in the price. Buggers me what the bike must cost!

Quote Originally Posted by ParMaster View Post
    Wow thats insane..

I just had the thought that there'd be bike ho's like there are golf ho's.
    If only you knew. And "Tour Gear" takes on a whole new meaning. In golf there are only so many things you can replace on a semi-regular basis. On a bike there's..... well... everything. BYO allen key.

Goughy - don't get too jealous of Specialized... they're designed in New Zealand! Just put another mortgage on the house and get some Campag group-sets
    Last edited by Fishman Dan; 23rd August 2009 at 11:19 PM.

And it's all about performance ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4

Personally I have a bit of a thing for Cervelo bikes, but given I can't even pony up $200 for shoes and pedals a new rig is a long way off....and I just finished payments on my current bike anyhow.

goughy

I like the Cervelo's too, but I hear lots of stories about cracked frames etc. Granted they have a lifetime warranty. One of the guys int he Tuesday group I ride with rides a P2 and called it the cheapie he could afford!!

Blog Entries

Would love to upgrade my ride too, just ain going to happen. I remember buying Zipp wheels in my tri days and they were actually worth more than the bike. I had a solid disc rear wheel and a 3 spoke front.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

A few big stats for me on my ride tonight. Went for just over an hour, average just over 30kmh (highest average speed for me), hit 189BPM on the heart rate monitor while climbing a hill at 18kmh (highest heart rate for me on the bike) and hit a top speed of 54.2kmh (maximum speed I have hit).

Was a pretty good wind here tonight so last 8-10km of the ride were down wind sitting on 40+kmh, felt really good. Would love to have the strength and fitness to do that without any assistance.

A pair of ZIPP wheel would smash the cost of my bike...not to say it won't happen one day. After all of the reports I have been reading I will upgrade wheels before frame.

Thread Information