Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 78 FirstFirst ... 23 63 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 1943
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Thanks for all the tips.

Do bike brokers exist?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Possibly, buy they'll probably cost you more than the bike

My bike has external cabling, but it's a CAAD so they probably cancel each other out...
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Not much point me ever posting in the run thread again I guess.....

So had a visit with an exercise physiologist yesterday, after my last visit with my surgeon and discussing some of my issues with him. Since the surgery my right leg has lost a dramatic amount of muscle size, which I don't think it should have. I can't stand at all when cycling as it just screams in pain, and have even changed the cranks on my bike so I can stay seated on the bigger hills that my weekday group do.

I have a significant problem on my right side, which looks like my body has been 'protecting' for a number of years now. Since my stress fracture a few years ago, which AP will most certainly remember. And many others will remmber the infamous 'moon boot' champs! Looks like all my issues are stemming back to that moment - my issues with my right side lower back while cycling, some of my ongoing knee and foot problems. Though the big knee problem I have (and didn't know about) is 20+ years in the making. But I pretty much had the dude stumped at how bad things are with my right side, yet I was doing a lot of physical stuff, and taking into account my type of work, I still do.

Suffice to say, I've got a month of twice+ a day exercises to do to try and just get my right side muscles to trigger, before we can even start on the issues with my leg muscles. Fun fun fun. An IM next year is looking dodgier by the day...
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

My motto at the moment is "slow build", so take it easy and don't be in a rush to do anything, except get yourself right.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Not much point me ever posting in the run thread again I guess.....

So had a visit with an exercise physiologist yesterday, after my last visit with my surgeon and discussing some of my issues with him. Since the surgery my right leg has lost a dramatic amount of muscle size, which I don't think it should have. I can't stand at all when cycling as it just screams in pain, and have even changed the cranks on my bike so I can stay seated on the bigger hills that my weekday group do.

I have a significant problem on my right side, which looks like my body has been 'protecting' for a number of years now. Since my stress fracture a few years ago, which AP will most certainly remember. And many others will remmber the infamous 'moon boot' champs! Looks like all my issues are stemming back to that moment - my issues with my right side lower back while cycling, some of my ongoing knee and foot problems. Though the big knee problem I have (and didn't know about) is 20+ years in the making. But I pretty much had the dude stumped at how bad things are with my right side, yet I was doing a lot of physical stuff, and taking into account my type of work, I still do.

Suffice to say, I've got a month of twice+ a day exercises to do to try and just get my right side muscles to trigger, before we can even start on the issues with my leg muscles. Fun fun fun. An IM next year is looking dodgier by the day...
    get into reformer pilates. Its the only way to truely activate and isolate muscles if you have trouble with that (as I do/did)
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

After seeing the news footage of the Brisbane bus driver being bashed by a cyclist I am wondering if the time is right to start talking about registering bicycles [that guy would have then been identified]

Senior Member Major Winner

No need to register, just get them off the road

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    I like that idea even better...

Bad boys don't even wear helmets, how do you expect them to use number plates?

Quote Originally Posted by Lagerlover View Post
    Bad boys don't even wear helmets, how do you expect them to use number plates?
    Not a problem really - we can then start making citizens arrests.

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    Not a problem really - we can then start making citizens arrests.
    I blame teachers
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Happy for them to introduce cycling registration. One more argument that couldn't be used then.

Dickheads like that cyclist don't help us one little bit!
    Last edited by goughy; 30th November 2016 at 01:26 PM.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

I'm happy to pay rego for my mountain bike [ even with it spending about 99% of its time offroad]

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    I agree completely. The more bike paths we have, the better it is for all.

But our pretend pro cyclists in their tour de france jerseys won't even use our bike paths, presumably because they don't want to slow down for pedestrians.

You don't need bike rego. You just need to make it compulsory for cyclists to carry i.d. Then we might be able to arrest and send to jail all those pesky schoolkids on their bikes.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    You just need to make it compulsory for cyclists to carry i.d. Then we might be able to arrest and send to jail all those pesky schoolkids on their bikes.
    If they are over 18 they have to carry ID in NSW already.

Once the government can demonstrate that they have the ability to legislate and enforce car rego properly, happy to do it for bikes. Problem is, exactly as with cars (and guns), the main people who cause issues won't register anyway.

I would love to know how the people asking for rego want it to work though, given I have a 5 year old and a 7 year old with a bike each, should they be registered too.

All that said, the flog on the bus is exactly what cyclists don't need.

The only problem I have with cyclists, is as mentioned before, the Tour de France wannabes in Lycra, riding four abreast, and then riding straight through every red light and stop sign in their way. Particularly bad in the Chelmer/Graceville area of Brisbane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    The only problem I have with cyclists, is as mentioned before, the Tour de France wannabes in Lycra, riding four abreast, and then riding straight through every red light and stop sign in their way. Particularly bad in the Chelmer/Graceville area of Brisbane.

It's okay to do that there, BITS, because they have the yellow painted bike on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post

This is why they need to be registered and display a rego plate on the back of the bike [like a motorcycle] - so they can be identified. And any bike that's ridden on the road at all should be registered - for traffic offence reasons as much as insurance reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    This is why they need to be registered and display a rego plate on the back of the bike [like a motorcycle] - so they can be identified. And any bike that's ridden on the road at all should be registered - for traffic offence reasons as much as insurance reasons.
    So my 5 year olds bike should be registered? We have enough trouble getting kids active!

As for the idiots going through red lights or riding 4 abreast...yep, they deserve all the flack they get. As a cyclist I expect road users to give me space etc, and in return I follow all road rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    So my 5 year olds bike should be registered? We have enough trouble getting kids active!

As for the idiots going through red lights or riding 4 abreast...yep, they deserve all the flack they get. As a cyclist I expect road users to give me space etc, and in return I follow all road rules.
    Does registering a childs bike stop them from being active?

It's a good argument though - if they're on the road should they be registered? - In Qld we have helmet laws so in that respect all children's bike probably should. As for you expecting road users give you space - wouldn't you expect to ride more defensively?

Yeah, as a regular cyclist there are plenty of dicks on bikes out there. I also see countless motorists change lanes without indicating, turn without indicating, roll through stop signs, run the reds, speed. I've stopped at a roundabout to give way to a car on my right, only to have it stop after i was already stopped and try to wave me through. And I've stopped to give way ate a T intersection only to have a car pull up and wave me through! And I've only been saved being hit at roundabouts multiple times by the fact I ride like I drive..... like everyone is out to kill me so I'm very aware and cautious of my surroundings.

Since the new laws have been introduced in NSW there's been over a million in fines for cyclists, and less than 5k for motorists for not following the passing laws.
    http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...7beaeeb93d53fc

I'm not saying any of this to try and convince anyone. I know in the world of public opinion it's against us. And I've said I'm happy to be registered, and for my kids to be. It won't change one ounce of public opinion as they'll just move on to a different argument. But they will never ever introduce it so it's a moot point. Probably wouldn't make enough or of it to cover the costs of running it, let alone implementing it.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

All other arguments aside, surely the cost and effort of implementing and maintaining a bike registration system across Australia is impossible to justify?

I was going to add more, but this covers it better than I could:

http://www.executivestyle.com.au/18-...ad-idea-1m23gh
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    All other arguments aside, surely the cost and effort of implementing and maintaining a bike registration system across Australia is impossible to justify?

LOL - written by a lobbyist - very balanced. I thought 16 and 17 were the funniest.

Working my way around Bangkok massage shops

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post

One study found drivers at fault four out of five times in serious collisions with cyclists.

This maybe true, but why make this statement on one study. Where are the rest?
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

I don't own a bike but cyclists don't bother me at all (other than sweaty MAMILs taking over my local cafe on a Sat morning). I'd rather share the road with your stereotypical Lycra warrior than your stereotypical high viz wearing, Monster Energy swilling dickheads swerving across lanes.

But why stop at registering bikes though? Bike riders are no danger to anyone on the road at all but kids on scooters (including my own) on footpaths are a menace. I've been run into by plenty of them, but never a bike. If we're going to engage in low rent facism and start registering harmless unmotorised forms of transport why not get them all?
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Thread Information