Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 56 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Yep, new bike. Pretty sure it was a 3 corner jack, very distinct hole in the tube and on the outside so not a spoke prick or anything.

Anyone else out there riding still. I put in 45km yesterday which took 1:40. Need to work out a proper riding program. Running I have a program set up where I know what distance I am doing etc. Riding tends to be more along the lines of "I feel like a ride today" so I head off.

Have had 3 more flats since my initial one... definitely going to have to get a hand pump, mrs is sick of driving out to pick me up!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Having grown up riding my bike around Mildura I can tell there are bloody caltrops everywhere! I used to have the thornproof inner tubes filled with that goo stuff that helps self-repair and even then I would still get a few flats.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    Anyone else out there riding still. I put in 45km yesterday which took 1:40. Need to work out a proper riding program. Running I have a program set up where I know what distance I am doing etc. Riding tends to be more along the lines of "I feel like a ride today" so I head off.

Have had 3 more flats since my initial one... definitely going to have to get a hand pump, mrs is sick of driving out to pick me up!
    Sadly not. I'm still finding myself doing "other things". I need to get back on the bike, no questions asked. Had a horror weekend 2 weeks ago with the little one and a temperature, and I was on-duty last weekend for babysitting last Saturday with the missus having other arrangements. Sunday we chilled out and played properly for the first time in yonks.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

goughy

An easy 35k with 3 intervals and a coffee (cup of tea anyway) for me on Sunday. Sunday's is my riding day. We still do some with the Sat tri training, but mid week it's the exercise bike for me!

goughy

It was a sad day for me yesterday when I came to the realisation that if I could get enough money for my golf clubs I'd sell them and own one of these instead!!
    http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=P12009

Bike ho.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    It was a sad day for me yesterday when I came to the realisation that if I could get enough money for my golf clubs I'd sell them and own one of these instead!!
    http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=P12009
    The P3 has always been on my wish list.
    Thunderbirds are Go!

my record of shame

Goughy...what sort of speed are you averaging on the roady?

I would feel really self conscious riding a better bike than my current one because I just aren't quick enough.

Also, a little bit excited, on Wednesday I went for my first ride since destroying my ankle a couple of weeks back and I pulled up well so riding will be full steam ahead again.

Member Club Pro

I too have just got on the bike . . . .

Cell MTX-2 http://www.cellbikes.com.au/p_92_CEL...NO_DEORE_GEARS

Been out a couple of times and have found that my local hills are a lot ****ing steeper than they seem on the bus!

Legs been OK, aerobic capacity godawful!

Also planning to do some nice flat Meadowbank to Homebush rides to raise the cycling experience and bring back those memories from 20+ years ago when we used to ride to Brooklyn to go fishing.

Likely to end up joining BikeNorth if only for the insurance side of it.

stu.
    I'm not young enough to know everything.
    burger-link burger-bag

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    Goughy...what sort of speed are you averaging on the roady?

I would feel really self conscious riding a better bike than my current one because I just aren't quick enough.

Also, a little bit excited, on Wednesday I went for my first ride since destroying my ankle a couple of weeks back and I pulled up well so riding will be full steam ahead again.
    No where near fast enough!! But I ride fairly hilly areas where one minute you're doing 55k and the next it's 20k. But the idea of the tri bike is more than about speed! The position you get on tri bikes assists you in the run in a couple of ways. Firstly when you rest in the proper position on your forearms etc you are supporting your upper from on your skeleton whereis on a roadie you are using your muscular frame which uses more energy and is less comfortable starting on the run.

Also the extreme forward seat position forces you to use less of your quads on the ride which helps also on the run. Cyclists tend to be hindered in their running by the size of their quad muscles. They actually restrict the running motion.

Since tri's are what I'll mostly do I figure get the right bike. But I've found so far that that model bike isn't brought into Australia. So maybe I'll look for a second hand bike. There'll be tons int he sub 3k range but I feel with tri bikes you need to know the bikes history, as sometimes they aren't treated right!

Went for my first proper ride in 3 weeks last night. Went for an hour and did about 30km. By the end I was running out of daylight so lights are now fitted to the rig, no excuse not to get out there!

Riding has been full steam ahead, although the mrs thinks I have lost it.

Last night it was raining but I really wanted to go for a ride, 5km in the rain stopped so that was nice but riding in the wet in the dark is an experience. 30km later my bike is filthy and will be getting a loving clean down on the weekend.

Keep finding things I want to buy though. I am sorted with a floor pump and a hand pump. Bought a pair of knicks a couple of weeks ago which was a good investment. Now thinking either some tights for the cold mornings (riding and running) or some bike shoes....oh, and a chain cleaner....cycling is as bad as golf for spending money!

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

A good option is the legging add ons to knicks. They are good for the early morning rides as you warm up you cam take them off and slip them into the pocket at the back of the bike top. I have sleeves and leggings, really good!
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

goughy

My arm and leggings just arrived today!! On the really cold windy days they will be going over the long compression wear which is under my riding gear. Maybe need to add a vest for the chest too!

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

get a winter weight bike shirt Goughy. I have a couple that are of heavier weight material.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    A good option is the legging add ons to knicks. They are good for the early morning rides as you warm up you cam take them off and slip them into the pocket at the back of the bike top. I have sleeves and leggings, really good!
    Was thinking about that, but I need something for morning running as well so I recon Skins or 2XU type thermal tights might be the go...shorts over the top when running of course!

Will be looking at arm warmers for sure though.

goughy

I've had the Slazenger long compression pants since last year for running in. And I use them on the bike too. But on the cold cold days I'll be wearing them (as well as the long sleeve top) under my cycling stuff with the arm and leg warmers over the top!! Would have been worth it on our ride last week!

Bump...

Goughy, just in case you are searching this thread might be requiring some posts from you in the near future...

Good luck!

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Haha, busted!!

goughy

Yeah, the riding thread has died a bit! I'm just used to posting in the run thread! And are you suggesting I need to bring something up here?? Something you read somewhere else??

Just thought you may be looking at some longer rides soon...

BTW...bought a mag trainer today, have not set it up yet, but I am excited to see how it goes! Pretty basic model but at least I don't have to take on trucks in the wet and dark anymore!

goughy

I pretty much haven't used mine, although I do go to a spin session with my trainer on Tuesday mornings. I've got my hands on some of the spinervals sessions and plan to use them soon. But don't have much room in the house to set up the trainer. I do have an exercise bike as well. I seriously need to get my rides up to the 60 to 80k mark. And also sitting on the mag trainer pumping out a consistent cadence.

Do you have a bike computer with cadence? I find the cadence invaluable on the trainer!

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    I pretty much haven't used mine, although I do go to a spin session with my trainer on Tuesday mornings. I've got my hands on some of the spinervals sessions and plan to use them soon. But don't have much room in the house to set up the trainer. I do have an exercise bike as well. I seriously need to get my rides up to the 60 to 80k mark. And also sitting on the mag trainer pumping out a consistent cadence.

Do you have a bike computer with cadence? I find the cadence invaluable on the trainer!
    No cadence here....on my to do list...along with about $5000 worth of other stuff!

goughy

Do you have a computer on your bike? Mine came with one when I bought it, and the cadence kit for it was only 20bucks more.

Thread Information