Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 78 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 63 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Tell us more BV!

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    Just wanted to pass on my thanks to all the fit young ladies out there who cycle. Thankyou.
    You so need to spend time around the tri scene then!! Head down to the GCHIM in October. Or Noosa later that month. The view is usually spectacular!

I remember reading someones report from an IM they did. They'd come in from the ride and felt like hell. All manner of decorum had left them, so he just stripped down in the transition tent to get changed for the run. There was a chick nude next to him doing the same thing.

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by moree golfer View Post
    Tell us more BV!
    Women and lycra! What more can be said. Tri kit is another whole other story!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    You so need to spend time around the tri scene then!! Head down to the GCHIM in October. Or Noosa later that month. The view is usually spectacular!

I remember reading someones report from an IM they did. They'd come in from the ride and felt like hell. All manner of decorum had left them, so he just stripped down in the transition tent to get changed for the run. There was a chick nude next to him doing the same thing.
    How are you supposed to get those tiny running shorts on with a mongrel....?

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Went for the usual morning ride and met a kangaroo 15km out of town. The last two in our group, including yours truly, stacked it going 30kmhr+. Result is I have busted my clavicle but surprisingly the bloke in front of me, who I rode over the top of, is uninjured other than some bruises and light grazing. Looks like I will have to watch my diet while the collar heals enough to get back into riding. The bike will need some work but I didn't have time to assess before I headed to emergency to get checked out.

struth mate, sorry to hear! I keep hearing horror stories of roos taking out cyclists... they must be dumb as dirt.

I saw a couple of roos close to the road as I rode home last night. Thankfully they were happy munching on the grass at Gailes golf course.

golflink WITB

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

That sucks. Are you out for 8 weeks or so now?

I found a new avatar for you, mg.

How long did it take you to type that post with one hand?

Cheers BV. I had scoffed at the idea of being involved in a bingle myself but you can't react quick enough when you are within a couple of feet of the rider in front's tire. All I can say is I hope a bullet takes out that roo soon!

If I maneuvre my right arm in the right place with my left I can tap away without much discomfort. I am unsure of the healing time Andy, I am hoping it's short as possible.

The bright side is I can legitimately spend the weekend glued to the idiot box watching the US Open, whilst reading books with my daughter.

goughy

That was awesome! I've never ridden in conditions where my toes get so cold they start feeling warm! Thought I was gonna be late for the group because I spent 5 mins getting the ice off the windshield. 1* when I headed out, windchill had it under -3. Pain in the ass though, got back to my van and had to get the ice off my windscreen again. Almost had to do the dogs head out the window thing to drive home as I had nothing to clean it off with. That really was insane!

i'm halfway through my coffee at work and can just feel my nose now! It was supposed to be 1deg this morning. Hard to tell once it gets down below about 5deg I reckon.

golflink WITB

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Was watching Webber attempt to fly in the GP last night, so slept in, but going for a ride after work this evening....
    “You're not a worker bee...you're a renegade killer bee.” - Bill

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I just took delivery of a set of clip on TT bars. Had a bit of a muck around with them on the trainer and feels pretty good, need to do some work on the position as far as comfort but feels lower and more aero. Just need to see how it goes on the road now!

goughy

Which ones did you get?

Profile T2+, just the alloy not the carbon. Everywhere people recommended them. Think I may have them too far forward at the moment but will have a proper ride then start fiddling. Need to do some general bike fitting work to get the best out of the bars. Have never really played with anything outside seat height.

goughy

For general home bike fitting I've used the fit calculator at www.competitivecyclist.com . The have an aero fit as well. You'll be surprised how far you can have the bars set back to be comfortable. The pads on mine are almost completely behind the top bar. When I'm standing my legs almost hit them. But I can get into a nice comfortable position on them. I bike fit guru I've seen said they are the only ones to buy - the most adjustable on the market. The only reason to go the carbon is for the bling factor, or like my mate who wanted white to match his bike.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

The purists who post on this thread probably wan't care about this post except for a nostalgic thought about the distant past. But some others might be interested that I have finally taken a plunge and bought a relatively proper bicycle after 10 years of plodding around on a mountain bike.

I wasn't ready to go all the way, but I've gone a significant step closer by buying a Giant CRX2 flat bar road bike.

To my uneducated eyes it looks exactly like a road bike except that it doesn't have drop bars.

More importantly, it rides so much better than my mountain bike, and much better than I remember road bikes in my youth.

I had taken quite a long time to work up to about 35k per weekend ride session, but that distance has been a piece of cake the last two Saturdays. I've been taking it a bit easy, and I've got a stiff neck (hopefully just from a changed riding position), but this just seems like a different cycling world. I'll never be a racer, but this is so much more fun, actually achieving a bit of speed.

For anybody riding a mountain bike or alleged hybrid on the road, get rid of it and get something like what I've now got.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Where are you Riding Jim? M7 Cycle Track?

Those flat bar road bike are pretty good indeed.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Yes. I had been riding a little bit further each time, and I'd just got as far as Hoxton Park Airport, where I would turn around and ride back to Ingleburn. Unfortunately, the M7 cycleway is closed past Cowpasture Road for the next four months. So I'll probably start going up the T-Way bike track from Hoxton Park Road toward Fairfield. That track is OK, but the M7 track is cycling heaven.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Major Winner

Sydney-siders... Spring Cycle on again next month (17th?). I'm registered (rider number 64!) for the North Sydney start. If you're keen (or have already registered) let me know... be happy to do the ride with you.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

congrats jim. skinny, high pressure tyres = speed =

golflink WITB

Senior Member Major Winner

Jim.... I have the CRX-2 as well. They are a good ride, and you notice the speed of the narrow tyre very quickly when riding with others on mountain/hybrid bikes. Get used to the gearing and the geometry of the bike - I found it quite awkward at first, perhaps not as maneuverable as you're used to.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Dan,

I wouldn't have minded doing the Spring Cycle. I reckon I could get the distance on this bike, where I was doubtful on the other one. But there is no start from the South-West this year, and trackwork on my line means no trains on that weekend. The replacement buses won't take bikes, and it starts too early anyway.

This bike certainly doesn't corner as well, but I'm not much of a thrillseeker as a rider, so I'm not too fussed about slowing down a bit. This bike actually lets me accelerate, so I can get back to cruising speed quite easily. It's still early days, but I'm looking forward to the next ride.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

I am not doing it for the same reason as Jim. I have spoken to Bike NSW about it and earlier in the year they said they would do the Liverpool to Homebush ride once more. I have a feeling the GFC has seen them lose sponsors and therefore do not have the cash to have the multiple rides that were available last year.

The trrackwork is a joke, and offering buses that will not take riders is even worse.

I forgot Jim you are not a morning person are you
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Did a 90km ride yesterday to try and get my head around riding that sort of distance. Was not as bad as I thought and the average speed was better than I thought it would be. Only problem was I went with the wind for a start!

Plan is to pretty much do that as a weekly ride for the next 5-6 weeks until I start tapering for the HIM. Might try to jack the length up over 100 though.

Then I got home and ate everything I could get my hands on....not good for weight control!!

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Getting stuck into the food is rewarding yourself.

Thread Information