Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Handle with care. They can go through you depending on how sensitive your gut is to a high concentration of sugars. (Osmosis effect can draw water out of you, into your intestines and it only has one way out.)

Also saw this on an Oxfam Trailwalk, where compliemetary Gu sachets were handed out on the day. Our only walker with this problem was the 'lucky' one who grabbed one of the last free sachets.

Golfer69 had a similar problem with a bag of sorbitol lollies recently.

When riding, I tended to have the Kelloggs K-time (?) breakfact bars that were like a fruit pie, such as apple, apricot, raspberry, etc. (Not as dry and crumbly as muesli bars, and no messy melted chocolate.)
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan View Post
    Has anyone tried those glucose sachets? For Chrissy the wife gave me a cycling shirt, one glucose thingy and another "energy supplement" that was basically like eating jelly crystals.

I had the glucose thing the other day as I rode - it was pretty hard to choke down. It was like a sugary, caffeiney, orangey burst of yuckness - not one of those flavours was overwhelming but combined it just tasted weird.

According to the pack you're meant to have "1 sachet 10 minutes before starting your ride, then 3 every hour". I'd rather eat my own snot after dancing at the Big Day Out all day. I didn't feel any more energised either.
    I've wondered about them as I may need some of that stuff later in the year. I've heard that you shouldn't just jump into using those things but get yourself used to them.

From what I gather, up to an hour you should be just fine with water. If riding over an hour them something extra doesn't hurt. If you've got two bottle cages then have one bottle with water and the other with gatorade or something (I buy the powder from the supermarket). But you've gotta drink the gatorade early enough to get the benefits of it, say half and hour. But that's the same for the gels etc too.

I can do a 2hour ride followed by a half hour run just on water, but I suck the gatorade down afterwards and have something to eat, a banana or muesli bar or something. Granted it's not a killer hard ride (probably with a cupa tea in the middle ) but the run is always hard afterwards (ever tried running after being on a bike - that hurts!).

Funny to see your thoughts on Gatorade. I prefer that for something like golf - the bottle is larger and better for refilling with water! I prefer water in either case. A half decent breakfast, coffee and water leaves me with plenty in the tank for 25 km's of cycling, which so far is plenty for me.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Once this weather cools down I am going to look to increase mileage a bit. But seen as the aim is to lose some weight Gatorade and the like don't seem like the best course of action, empty calories.

Dusted the 'dale off today and went for a ride. Has anyone ridden on the new path along the freeway from artarmon to the city? Started off looking quite prmoising but then when you get to (I guess) Naremburn you have to get in the traffic and ride on the road to Nth Sydney. It was nice not having to worry about Sydney drivers, even if only for a little while.

goughy

Actually, gatorade is about replenishing the glycogen etc in your muscles, especially after sport. Our trainer is right on us to have some sort of sport drink within 10 minutes of us finishing training, and even during. It helps the muscle soreness too apparently.

Yep, that is what gatorade is great for, if you are looking for peak performance those sort of calories are required.

At the moment I am focussing on weight loss and a few different websites I have read (e.g. http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/car...rdiobasics.htm) have talked about exercising on an empty stomach while glycogen stores are low so your body focusses more on burning fat.

Also, the basic maths of weight loss is calories in vs calories out and sports drinks are a lot of calories in.

All that said, down the track once I have trimmed some weight I will definitely start using them and hope they help boost performance then.

I would guess your trainer is focussed on performance not weight loss.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    Once this weather cools down I am going to look to increase mileage a bit. But seen as the aim is to lose some weight Gatorade and the like don't seem like the best course of action, empty calories.
    You could think like that, or you could consider the value in taking in some energy and electrolytes. In the scheme of how much you are burning, it's probably not too bad.

That said, I rely mostly on water for my longer runs (maybe a yoghurt top muesli bar too), and only have the sports drinks when they are supplied during races.

I just checked out the rest of the accessories to get on the road, prepared for the worst -

Saddle bag - $50+. Needs to hold a tube, tyre lever and compact tool
    Spare tube - $12?
    Pump - Start at $39, likely need to spend $59 to get one that can inflate to 85 psi+ more easily (or at all). It's not like the old-days either, you have to hold the pump against the tyre, no flexible valve/tube! There's also pumps that use CO2 and inject it straight into the tyre, but refills are $6 for 2 - seems like a lot, considering there's no guarantee that you won't waste a cylinder trying!

Plenty more accessories to buy too! Gloves and side-bars not required!

There's also pumps that use CO2 and inject it straight into the tyre, but refills are $6 for 2 - seems like a lot, considering there's no guarantee that you won't waste a cylinder trying!
    In 2008 at Hawaii ironman the leading woman (Chrissie Wellington) got a flat, changed the tyre and had a CO2 cannister to pump it up, unfortunately for her she didn't have it connected right and she didn't have another or a pump. Had to beg for another competitor to give her a cannister. In the end an Aussie girl did and Chrissie came back to win and go back to back. With that in mind I would think if you go the cannister option carry a spare or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    You could think like that, or you could consider the value in taking in some energy and electrolytes. In the scheme of how much you are burning, it's probably not too bad.

That said, I rely mostly on water for my longer runs (maybe a yoghurt top muesli bar too), and only have the sports drinks when they are supplied during races.
    I guess if I take in 200-300 cals to burn an extra 500 then life is good. Will look at that once I am going for longer rides and runs. Have a play and see if it makes a difference to me I guess.

Blog Entries

Fishy, puncture repair is annoying and frustrating at the best of times, esp. since the next option is walking, public transport or an embarrassing call to a loved-one.

Don't skimp on a pump. I don't know what is around now, but Zefal HP-X was the bee's knees in the 90's. (They came in four lengths, depending on seat-tube length. Annoyingly, my original bike had a size 2, but the new one needed a size 3.) I originally made the mistake of getting a compact pump, and it would only get up to 50-60psi.

Practice using the tyre levers, removing a tube, etc. at home, to get an idea of technique and tension needed. (It is a bugger the first time on the roadside, a long way from home, under pressure and often when it starts raining (the water makes it easier for the culprit to peirce the tyre).)

Line the tyre brand label up with the valve. It make it easy to find the cause of the puncture, based on the hole in the tube. The cause will usually be a sliver of glass, steel radial wire or flint, which will still be imbedded in the tyre. If you don't remove this, your freshly replaced tube will soon develop a leak in the same spot.

A small rag run around the inside of the tyre is also handy for finding this (and potentially other) puncture causes. Don't use your finger, as it will slice open easily on the sharp bit of wire, glass, etc.

Best technique is to avoid using tyre levers to put the tyre back on, to minimise risk of pinching the tube. Watch out for pinching anyway.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

goughy

In 2008 at Hawaii ironman the leading woman (Chrissie Wellington) got a flat, changed the tyre and had a CO2 cannister to pump it up, unfortunately for her she didn't have it connected right and she didn't have another or a pump. Had to beg for another competitor to give her a cannister. In the end an Aussie girl did and Chrissie came back to win and go back to back.
    Actually, a competitor is not allowed to assist her otherwise they are both disqualified! Technically the girl 'discarded' a co2 cannister on the road in the vicinity of Chrissie. It was then trash on the road and chrissie could use it. She would have had assistance from the official bike repair guys there but it would probably have taken a while for them to get to her. Chris McCormack the aussie who won 2007 had bike trouble and the repair guys said it would take about 40mins to fix. He gave in.

There are torrents of the 2hour program of the Hawaii ironman available!

Have been watching them on youtube, will check the torrents out.

Macca did a gear lever cable wasn't it?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

FD
    Another Vote for the Zefal pumps, they will do above 85psi easily.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Bought a new weapon today, decided to go to the local shop, figure if I am going to get serious riding I might as well build a relationship. Got a Shogun Katana (http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/Shogu...-pr-23225.html).

Had to take it for a test ride tonight...I can not believe how much easier riding is. Ended up doing 31km in 1:12 and loved every minute of it. Might have to look at buying some nicks soon though I think.
    Last edited by Toolish; 20th February 2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added link to bike

Went for my longest ride yet this morning. 56km, took me 2:12.

Had a pretty sore bum after about 30km and legs had nothing left in them at all for the last 15km. Don't think I will be riding any further than this for a while but will attempt this same ride every couple of weeks for a while all going to plan.

goughy

My mate and I only ride about 30 to 40k on sunday mornings, but could add an extra 10k if we didn't stop for coffee in the middle of it

Went for my longest ride yet this morning. 56km, took me 2:12.

Had a pretty sore bum after about 30km and legs had nothing left in them at all for the last 15km. Don't think I will be riding any further than this for a while but will attempt this same ride every couple of weeks for a while all going to plan.
    Good stuff Toolish.

I haven't touched the bike this weekend due to the rain, but sitting here now at the office, I should have ridden in. It would have been my test run and a perfect day for it - looks ominous but I don't think there will be any rain.

I bought the seat bag, spare tube and puncture repair kit yesterday, so I'm pretty much ready to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    My mate and I only ride about 30 to 40k on sunday mornings, but could add an extra 10k if we didn't stop for coffee in the middle of it
    I was planning to stop after about 30km for a drink and some food at a service station, but got there and felt ok so kept going. In hindsight some more fuel might have been a good thing.

Good stuff Toolish.

I haven't touched the bike this weekend due to the rain, but sitting here now at the office, I should have ridden in. It would have been my test run and a perfect day for it - looks ominous but I don't think there will be any rain.

I bought the seat bag, spare tube and puncture repair kit yesterday, so I'm pretty much ready to go!!
    A seat bag, spare tube and tools etc to fix it all are next on my list of things to buy. At the moment going on a wing a prayer and a mobile phone.

I also need a pump, but not sure whether to get a floor pump for home, or a mobile pump to hook onto the bike. I am all for the latter, with plenty of options out there!!

The guy at the bike shop yesterday (and I wasn't too impressed with him) said that if you keep the tyres inflated, then the chances of puncture are lower. I don't necessarily subscribe to this - especially when cycling besides some of Sydney's busiest roads - there's glass and crap everywhere.

I also need a pump, but not sure whether to get a floor pump for home, or a mobile pump to hook onto the bike. I am all for the latter, with plenty of options out there!!
    Get both.

The one for out on the road is just for a quick repair and head home. The floor pump for home you can use to correctly inflate your tyres to your chosen level.

If you don;t already have a floorpump, what are you using??
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

goughy

Yeah, with moe here. Floor pump first then one for the bike. I just go the mobile phone atm, if I got a puncture I'd just ring rob. Don't carry any spares on the bike with me.

I have a floor pump and a hand pump, but the hand pump battles to get the pressure high enough but would be enough to get me out of trouble.

Well, have had my first puncture.

The guy at the bike shop told me to let my tyres down between rides so I have been doing that. On Saturday I went to pump them up before going for a quick spin and I noticed the front was really flat. Thought it was a bit weird but assumed I had just let too much out last time I rode. Pumped them up and off I went.

25 minutes in I noticed my tire was definitely going flat, but seemed pretty slow so kept going. 40 minutes in I was on the roadside waiting for a lift. My hand pump doesn’t fit the valves on my new bike so I have not been taking it with me. My mate that I was riding with has a pump, but hadn’t brought it for that ride.

So today I went and bought a saddle bag, some tube patches and glue and a spare tube. Didn’t buy a pump as the budget didn’t extend that far, but will look at one in the next couple of weeks. So tonight I will be patching the tube, I have already taken it out and found the leak then I realised the patches I have are for mountain bike tyres and are way too big!

Anyhow, I guess it had to happen sooner or later, at least it wasn’t on a long ride where I was miles from home, only had about 5 km left but didn’t want to risk a rim!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Hey Toolish, is this your new bike that had the flat?

Thread Information