Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 54 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I have been riding a bit too lately. None of this new gear for me though...old school Apollo IV (1980ish I think). Have been tinkering with it in the shed as it is in bad need of a birthday. Also keeping an eye on ebay but living in a rural area kills it as most are pick up.

Anyhow, doing 2-3 rides a week, about 20km each which takes me about an hour. Need to work up the milage, but has been too hot recently!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Do you have cyclists nappy pants yet??? And for them to work properly you know you need to be commando underneath!

And have you fit the bike to you yet?? You could go to a store and pay for them to do it, but you can also find plenty of info online about doing it. I use this site for standard bike fit and for tri setup. Seems a bit more indepth than others, but also explains what it's doing.
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO

Getting this right can make a difference to your comfort level.
    Thanks for the website link goughy. The cycle shop did an approximate fit but I do feel like I'm not getting quite enough extension.

Hmmm ... I'd feel funny about doing this in front of another guy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan View Post
    Jono - for sure. But you have to wait for me at the top of the hills
    ahhh ... no hills please ... can we choose a flat course?

Went for a ride with a mate tonight...a bit of a breeze out which made for some toughish going but longest ride yet. Ended up doing 27km in about 1 h 20 min. Was well and truelly out of water by the end of it so not sure what the solution is to that.

Take more water.

But seriously, have you thought of getting a Camelback.

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    I have been riding a bit too lately.
    Been meaning to ask if that was you over at transitions, but I figure it had to be. I started on my 1988 steel roadie and waited until something came along. Got mine pretty cheap in the end. But the whole shipping thing was a was seeming a pain, like 100bucks etc. Found one locally in the end.

Being an old school roadie you may not have provision for a second bottle cage?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Thanks for the website link goughy. The cycle shop did an approximate fit but I do feel like I'm not getting quite enough extension.

Hmmm ... I'd feel funny about doing this in front of another guy ...

Hence why I did it with my wife

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Went for a ride with a mate tonight...a bit of a breeze out which made for some toughish going but longest ride yet. Ended up doing 27km in about 1 h 20 min. Was well and truelly out of water by the end of it so not sure what the solution is to that.
    Have a lot of water, juice, cordial, etc. before you leave, and at rest stops, esp. in the hotter weather. (I usually like to carry only one bottle/bidon.)

Some bikes have lugs for a second bidon cage on the seat tube. unfortunately, that is where most full-length pumps fit on a road bike.

Another option is the Camelback-style arrangement, with 1.5 - 3 litres of fluid on your back and a feeder-tube. Bit dorky, but handy for long distances non-stop on expressways and country highways. (These are illegal in races though.)
    Last edited by Dotty; 25th January 2009 at 07:22 AM.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

I'm a big fan of drinking a good amount of water 15-30 minutes before leaving.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Another vote for a camelbak, invaluable in my opinion. I have the Mule version enough storage for tools and a few snacks too.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Been meaning to ask if that was you over at transitions, but I figure it had to be. I started on my 1988 steel roadie and waited until something came along. Got mine pretty cheap in the end. But the whole shipping thing was a was seeming a pain, like 100bucks etc. Found one locally in the end.

Being an old school roadie you may not have provision for a second bottle cage?
    Yeah mate, it is me over there too...

How much difference did the bike upgrade make to you? No provision for a second cage on this bike.

I have a camelback here, have never used it so might have to give it a run, see how it goes.

goughy

Honestly, I bought the cheapest 'decent' bike I could find, a Giant OCR3 for $300. The biggest difference, and it is a big and worthwhile difference is in the shifting. My old roadie had shifters on the angled down tube, and every time I wanted to change it's reach down and almost fall off. Having the newer style combined break lever/shifters is great. You change gears easily and almost as an after thought and you just do it whenever you feel like it. It feels safer, smoother and just looks better.

My old bike was a bit heavier, but it also had a really bad front crank cogs - I think it was a 50/42 teeth setup and was a bugger for climbing. Most stronger riders will have a 53/39 tooth setup but you can get like 50/34 and it's great for climbing. Mine is a triple with a 50/39/30 I think and while I barely ever drop to the 30, it's there for the big hills.

I'm glad I did it when I did. I was gonna wait and save for a better 2nd hand bike but as thing turned out I wouldn't have been able to afford anything if I didn't jump when I did. I would think you should be able to get a 2nd hand bike for sub $600 with carbon fork and seat post, and at least shimano sora gearing. Maybe even shimano 105. I do it in a heartbeat.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water all week, hydrate your body up. If I had 2 cages I'd be taking one with water and another with gatorade, and some food too. If riding for like 2 hours, I'd be taking some gatorade in and maybe some food after 40mins or so. Personally, unless your riding really hard I think 2 bottles would be plenty, and if riding hard you probably wouldn't have enough time to down more than that.

My old roadie had shifters on the angled down tube, and every time I wanted to change it's reach down and almost fall off.
    "Suicide levers", as described by a colleague and enthusiast at work when discussing modern bikes. Also, the geometry of bikes these days is hugely different.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

My Bikes

My Road/Tri bike is proably due for upgrade as it is now almost 20 years old. I bought it with my first tax return cheque.

It is a Peter Bundy Cycle's custom Tri bike.
    Fitted with pretty old gear.
    Shimano Exage derailleurs
    Shimano SLR Brakes
    Shimano Bio Pace Front gear (it is one of those elliptical one's)52/40
    It had the original profile bars on it when I got it, I changed these back to normal bars with profile extension bars for the RTA big ride a few years back. Frame is still in great nick and was thinking of upgrading all the gear to get it up to spec. I keep saying I will get out on it but nowadays it just sits on the wall in the garage.

My MTB

Giant 860 ATX Hardtail
    Great all terrain runabout and my bike of choice for running around on and short road rides.

Meaning to get out more but the kayaking has taken the spot of riding for my aerobic fitness regime.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Was thinking that getting away from the suicide levers would be the advantage...also the tyres I currently have on are not really designed for any sort of speed on the road. keeping an eye on ebay and bikeexchange to see if anything comes up.

I don't understand all the 105/Tiagra, etc stuff yet, but working on it!

Edit : also, good work Goughy on the first tri!
    Last edited by Toolish; 25th January 2009 at 07:41 PM.

Toolish - the running gear is a new language...

Road bikes start low, then they have groups - Shimano for instance manufacture the Sora, Tigara, 105, all the way up the scale to Ultegra groupsets. The key here is that the more you spend, the lighter and more durable the gear becomes - allegedly!

The groupsets for Mountain Bikes differ again..

Then there's SRAM, Campagnolo..... it's like another language, because it is!

goughy

Was thinking that getting away from the suicide levers would be the advantage...also the tyres I currently have on are not really designed for any sort of speed on the road. keeping an eye on ebay and bikeexchange to see if anything comes up.

I don't understand all the 105/Tiagra, etc stuff yet, but working on it!

Edit : also, good work Goughy on the first tri!
    Thanks T

Basically the gearing equip changes as you go up levels bike. There are a few brands of groupsets for road bikes; copagnolo (something like this anyway), sram and shimano being 3 of them. Usually most cheaper (say sub 2.5k) bikes have shimano. The order (from cheapest to dearest) is 2200, sora, tiagra, 105, ultegra, ultegra sl and dura ace. The cheaper groupsets are heavier, and the changes smooth out as you go higher in range. Not that the cheaper stuff is rough by any means. Also, the 2200 and sora range have a different gear change. They use the brake lever to shift to larger cogs, but use a thumb clicker to move down cogs. The others use the brake lever to shift up cogs, but have a little shifter behind the brake lever to shift down cogs.

Most will consider the 105 series the start of the good stuff, although many won't look below ultegra. But they all work fine. Some of the groupsets from sram etc can cost several thousand on their own.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Toolish, if you really need to know how much water you should carry, it may be worth while weighing yourself before and after the ride to see how much weight you lose (taking into account the amount you drink during a ride). Taking one litre per kilo lost is apparently the go.

You mean all this effort to get fit, and all I really need to do is go to the dunny to lose weight?!

Today's Route

About 21.3 km's, 8 km's more than yesterday. Once I'm doing that distance, the return over the Gladesville Bridge is a bugger!!

Today's route was a little all over the shop, I made it up as I went. A mix of good roads, and other high traffic, traffic lights, stop-start, and of course the Bay Run is treacherous with dozens of pregnant soon-to-be mums spread out over the bitumen clearly marked with a BICYCLE!!!

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Did I happen to see Brad and Amanda on the M7 bikepath heading north between Cowpasture rd and Hoxton Park Rd at about 11:50am?
    Thunderbirds are Go!

my record of shame

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

nope - sorry not us! back at work today

I carry only 1 bottle for our 30km ride - but I don't sweat much - plus my bike frame is only big enough for 1 bottle - I can't even carry a pump! (that's why brad is there, brad = mule )

Brad rides his mtb when we ride together - apparently I'm too slow and lack muscle power to keep up with him on a road bike!

went for a ride last night with the camelback, worked pretty well given that it was 40+ degrees. No excuses for not riding further now!!

Has anyone tried those glucose sachets? For Chrissy the wife gave me a cycling shirt, one glucose thingy and another "energy supplement" that was basically like eating jelly crystals.

I had the glucose thing the other day as I rode - it was pretty hard to choke down. It was like a sugary, caffeiney, orangey burst of yuckness - not one of those flavours was overwhelming but combined it just tasted weird.

According to the pack you're meant to have "1 sachet 10 minutes before starting your ride, then 3 every hour". I'd rather eat my own snot after dancing at the Big Day Out all day. I didn't feel any more energised either.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I've avoided them so far. Senecio posted about how badly they went down for him too, in the Run thread.

Thread Information