Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 ... LastLast

Amanda, the cannondales went up just before i was going to grab one. Probably a good thing, can't afford to be a two sport ho! Plus, the f3 went great with some skinny slicks. I'm going to have to get out there and ride the m7, was out there on my way for the federal golf day and it looked great.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by amanda View Post
    thanks fish - I didn't even think of Giant - d'oh (strange I didn't see them at the bike store on Clarence St or the big one I went to in Parra)
    Clarence St are Fisher / Trek. CBD (City Bike Depot - Kent St) have some great Kona gear... but otherwise every suburban store seems to stock Giant. I ended up buying mine in Harbord, and came close to buying the Trek from Manly just 2 minutes down the road.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Believe it or not I've seen some good Kona bikes (mtb) at Anaconda!

Most of our local stores seemed to be stocking Specialized as the marque brand

Happy with mine - and there's a Trek flag store at Rouse Hill for check ups

goughy

goughy - as long as you're having fun! I wear my mtb shoes, riding nicks under regular shorts and a long sleeved cancer council shirt (too lazy for sunscreen) - Brad wears the full lycra get up - just can't bring myself to do it.
    Cycling stuff is just so bloody expensive!! Got a pair of cycling nicks and a few pairs of tri nicks now and a tri singlet. I don't wear the tri singlet on normal rides as it's pretty tight. But thank god I have it now because at tri training on Sat mornings I wasn't enjoying running around the neighbourhood just in tri nicks and nothing on top! Not a pretty sight Got my tri shoes on layby now

If I keep this up for a year or two I can see myself getting a tri bike - there goes a few k.

Anaconda when it's on special is pretty good - I picked up my nicks for $20.

I just make brad the pack mule - since he has a proper cycling jersey, he carries the museli bars, tissues, spare parts etc

goughy

Well, eventful morning at tri training this morning. After the swims we were just starting mini-tri's and had just gotten out of the pool and were onto the bikes. Without proper shoes I take for ever to get on my bike and my mate was out just before me. But fiddling to get his shoes tightened up he hit one of those little islands by the side of the road at a school crossing. I'm not sure what the story is with his right hip and shoulder as he's pretty doped up right now but has broken ribs and punctured right lung and was heading off for ct scans when I left the hospital.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Ouch, hope he recovers well.
    When training isn't slow and steady better? I remember when I competed in Tri's, most events kept all that sort of stuff well out of the way wit the use of bollards etc. So the training rides are the times that these sort of hazards are there.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

goughy

The training is just a neighbourhood ride. He was fixing a shoe and didn't see the island. He's broken 21 ribs!!

Started riding to work today. Of course I pick a day when it's going to be mid 30's, so going home should be fun!

It's just over 10k's from home to work. My legs don't know what's hit them!

Plan on doing 2 days a week for then next 3 weeks, and then 3 days a week. Let's see how I go.

If you start out depressed everything’s kind of a pleasant surprise.
    WITB: stuff.

After a lengthy festive season, I jumped back on the bike for 5 laps around Centennial Park - about 20 km's. Took me just on an hour, not pushing hard just doing laps. I put in on the fourth lap and relaxed on the final one.

It's some sort of barometer now, so I can base my performance compared to that. It's a safe and simple ride around Centennial Park, and next thing is to buy my daughter a helmet and take her around for a lap. I hope to be riding into work within the next month or so.

Blog Entries

Hey Dan were the rangers there?
    Years ago when I was doing tri's I went there with some guys on the way home from a ride. We all got booked for exceeding the 10km/h speed limit of the streets inside the park.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

There were rangers, but the speed limit is 30 km/h - although I'm not sure if that includes bicycles. Someone here at work trains there, and he was telling me he's been brought up to the tough group where they have to average 40 km/h.

I think it's just for vehicles.

Blog Entries

Was back in 89 when I was booked may have been higher but we indeed did get booked was $50 if I remember correctly. We were probably doing around 35-40km/h, pack of 8 riders.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Fishy - do you ride from your place to the Park? I'm thinking about checking out Sydney Olympic Park - meant to be some good riding areas around there.

Doing a weekly 30km ride at the moment (just from our place in Mt Druitt to our block of land and back)

Fishy - do you ride from your place to the Park? I'm thinking about checking out Sydney Olympic Park - meant to be some good riding areas around there.

Doing a weekly 30km ride at the moment (just from our place in Mt Druitt to our block of land and back)
    On Sunday we took the bike to Centennial Park on the rack. That's one cross-town ride I wouldn't like to do (Cleveland St - no way!). We took Ella and had my sister-in-law in town too, so the girls played in the park while I rode around.

There are far more bike paths and routes around Sydney Olympic Park, and the roads are quiet anyway in case you want to create your own. There is a map online that shows you various routes.

My cousin is also on the "bike for fitness" regime, so we'll probably wind up doing Centennial Park and Homebush together fairly regularly, and/or join a social biking group (like BikeNorth). The Thule Express 970 bike rack makes it incredibly easy to go anywhere you want - it just clips onto the tow-ball with no extra ties or cables, and carries 2 bikes easily.

Fish - do you have a link to those S.O.P maps?

Brad has been doing lots of single track and mtbing recently - Lucas Heights (near the nuclear reactor) and down near Appin. I think I prefer him to road ride - less cuts, scrapes and bruises to deal with!

Cycle routes at SOP in PDF format - Clicky!!

The best method is a hybrid of all 3, and there's also a perfectly good pathway to Rhodes Shopping Centre (and Meadowbank over the rail/cycle bridge).

I plan on making a route from Meadowbank, to SOP, around a couple of times and back out. Can rack up an easy, safe 30 - 40 km's.

RideNorth do a regular ride around the park, out the west-side to Silverwater Rd, east along the river to Meadowbank and back into the park past Rhodes. It's their most leisurely ride (they aim for an average of 13 km/h).

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

As of this week, I will be joining the "Ozgolf Riders" Organization.

Giant OCR3 with clip on pedals will be my tool of trade.

Now let's see if I can ride off some flab ...

goughy

Sweet Jono, that's my ride too. Good for a cheap bike.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Sweet Jono, that's my ride too. Good for a cheap bike.
    Yep, I saw your post before I went out to buy. When you compared it to Toyota, I thought it would be perfect for me. No fancy stuff but just good quality basics. At this stage, I don't need anything more.

I rode from Wollongong to Bulli via the bike track the other day. I held up OK but the main thing that bothered me was the bum pain. Just have to get used to it, I suppose.

There's supposed to be some nice tracks around Wollongong. I'm not keen on road riding just yet. I'm also going to ride a bit on the velodrome near my work. It's owned by the Illawarra Cycling Club but I spoke to the president and he was kind enough to let me ride on it when they are not using it. Did a few laps of interval training. That was a killer.

Fish, Amanda, any interest in getting together for a "Ride Ozgolf Ride" Day?

goughy

Do you have cyclists nappy pants yet??? And for them to work properly you know you need to be commando underneath!

And have you fit the bike to you yet?? You could go to a store and pay for them to do it, but you can also find plenty of info online about doing it. I use this site for standard bike fit and for tri setup. Seems a bit more indepth than others, but also explains what it's doing.
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO

Getting this right can make a difference to your comfort level.

Blog Entries

Jono, a decent pair of cycling knicks are needed. (Doesn't have to be expensive, as I found the plain black 'Netti' knicks good enough to do 100km a day on NSW country roads, for six straight days.)

The saddle is the putter of your bike. Ask around, search the forums, etc. to find something suitable. I assume they are still in the $100-200 range for something suitable.

When I got the last bike, the shop let me try a few out (install, ride a couple of kms, install the next, etc.). Back in the 90's, mates were happy with Rolls or Turbo models, but the shop suggested Selle San Marco Squadra 'HDP', which suited me best.

I should search around for a comfortable set of handlebars and get back on the bike.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Blog Entries

Could be a big OzRide happening soon.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Jono - for sure. But you have to wait for me at the top of the hills

Thread Information