Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 52 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Well Done Dan, how many near misses did you see or avoid?
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Well Done Dan, how many near misses did you see or avoid?
    Not that many to be honest. In Rozelle you go to single-file rounding the corner into Victoria Rd. Some kid came to a halt and forgot to put his feet down, so he went over. One bloke did a jump over a roundabout in Five Dock, and had a nutbreaker of a landing and nearly went base-over-apex, but apart from that nearly everyone was well behaved.

There were some heroes in the crowd, but other than within the Homebush area they posed no threat.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

I conquered my next bridge today - the Gladesville bridge. It's not as daunting as it looks - it's a consistent incline lasting about 400m but fairly easy once you find a rhythm. That in itself isn't that easy - getting onto the GB footpaths is a chore in itself! The hardest part is approaching from the Drummoyne side - in roughly 200m of riding you climb 30m!

I rode from my place to a friends for their sons 1st birthday party - only about 20 km's round trip. The hardest part wasn't the bridge, it was going up a hill in Drummoyne, and about 50m from the crest I started getting dive-bombed by some little prick of a bird. It's amazing how fast tired legs will push you up a hill when nature strikes back. Little prick actually kept hitting the helmet too.

Today's ride in itself is a nice course for the future - from home, around the Bay Run and back. Enough back-streets and footpaths to stay out of traffic.

Dan, a pump (pref metal) works well on airborne pests.

I may feel different tomorrow (pretty sure my legs will) but I'm thinking about getting a road bike and joining a cycling club.

I've considered joining a local group that goes out on rides from 25-50 km's. They have a full calendar each weekend and you can pick and choose. There are other benefits, such as insurance etc.

You did the 'Gong ride on a MTB? Gutsy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan View Post
    I've considered joining a local group that goes out on rides from 25-50 km's. They have a full calendar each weekend and you can pick and choose. There are other benefits, such as insurance etc.

You did the 'Gong ride on a MTB? Gutsy!
    The lockout on my headshock means no bobbing at all. Plus, I had some really thin slicks (continental sports contacts) which were almost like road tyres. Saw plenty of mtbs with nobbys but admittedly not many at the Sydney start. Next year I'm going to head off really early and on a new road bike (already started looking at the 09 'dales ). Golf ho-ing on the back burner for a while.

Bike ho-ing is a whole new world!

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan View Post
    Bike ho-ing is a whole new world!
    Looks like I'll be up for some bike ho-ing myself.

My bike commuting has been put on hold for a while after a small incident last Thursday on my way to work. I dropped back through the gears to ready myself for a climb. I started to apply pressure to the crank when the chain jumped off the sprocket and lodged itself between the cluster and the wheel spokes. At this point it locked the rear wheel, bent 4 of the spokes and snapped the rear derailleur into 3 pieces. It was about this time I realised I could nothing but hold on and brace myself for the fall.

Oh well, that's what happens when you're riding a 20+ year old bike I guess.

Anyone want to buy a bike, slightly used?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by macjackass View Post
    The lockout on my headshock means no bobbing at all. Plus, I had some really thin slicks (continental sports contacts) which were almost like road tyres. Saw plenty of mtbs with nobbys but admittedly not many at the Sydney start. Next year I'm going to head off really early
    Sounds like Brad's setup - at least he could handle a little gravel when he got squeezed out onto the verge by novice riders.

What was your time? Brad did 4.5 hrs but with around 1 hr of waiting or walking the bike. Says he'll only ride next year if it rains in the morning - it keeps away half the casual riders

Amanda - rides such as the Gong ride and the Spring Cycle are set up for novices, in the hope they can raise money for MS. Casual riders would still turn up, entrance fees are usually paid well in advance.

I averaged about 16 km/h for the Spring Cycle. MJA - do you have a trip computer? Do you know what you averaged for the journey?

No idea, really. Didn't have a watch or my phone. I stopped at Maacas (at St Peters as it was quite annoying with all the stop start at the beginning plus I haven't had a bacond and egg mcmuffin is ages!) Then the long and slow walk at Heathcoate before we got into the national park. Another stop at the bottom of the hill where they had the lunches and then after the hill there was this little shop in a white building that had home made apple pie. Had to stop and have one of those!! Then just down the road was the fruit stop so two bananas and an orange later I was off again. I was pretty happy with how I went, the 3 weeks training I did prior was definately beneficial. I would say actual riding time about 4 hours. Next year with the early start and a road bike I'm hoping for 3 and a half hours, including stops.

Brad, his brother & brother in law have started a weekly cycle down the M7 cycleway (only about 25km of it)

This was what he looked like when he came home last night:

Even the Napisan is having trouble removing the stains!

Was it that scary??

I've heard the cycleways are very good along the M7.

Nah - just blokes riding along talking shit!

M7 cycleways are fantastic - lots of undulation (of varying levels of incline and length) and no cars! (i'm terrible at riding in traffic)

Blog Entries

Is the damage to the cycleway up around the M2 end fixed. It collapsed in the heavy rains earlier this year.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Grunt - I think it was the section near the Richmond Road exit - and yes - fixed a few months ago.

Anyone been doing any riding recently?

Brad and his brother & brother-in-law are doing about 30km every Tuesday night on the M7 cycleway. He is got a Lemond road bike for (early) Xmas.

I've got a Trek FX 7.7 Can't believe how light the thing is compared to my old mountain bike!

Trying it out on M7 from Rooty Hill towards Rouse Hill on the weekend - can't wait!

macjackass - did you end up looking at the new canondales? some of the new Trek road bikes look sweet. Also - tip from the distributor - Trek bikes are going to jump about 20% in price just before New Year because of exchange rates. Something similar may be happening with all the other big brands. Might be worth checking out some of the sales.

Blog Entries

I am getting back into it Amanda going to give the old custom built tri bike a rework and get on the M7 path soon. It has been on the garage wall for some time may need a good going over. It's all part of the new fitness kick, kayaking plus bike riding. After fitting the racks to the car for the kayak, I have also fitted the bike rack.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Woohoo!

One bonus of riding the m7 cycleway - that Maccas at the M5/M7 junction (the thought of chicken nuggets keeps me moving!)

Blog Entries

May have to meet up for a ride one day Amanda, The Macca's is about 1km from my house.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Give me a few months to get my fitness up to speed - I haven't had a decent ride since May (I was a wus and didn't ride during the winter)

Nice pickup Amanda. I was looking at the FX 7.5 but the Giant was just a little better suited to me. Enjoy it!!!

goughy

My mate and I ride on Sunday mornings and are now doing the coffee (or tea) thing after our rides now. It's what the 'cool' cyclists do up here, and they all call into the same shop. Even better for me because I don't have a proper cycling shirt, so I'm in a singlet. And I wear mountain biking shoes instead of proper cycling shoes! And then there's the tri bars on my cheapie 2nd hand bike - they'd all be shocked by me; and I love it!!!

goughy - as long as you're having fun! I wear my mtb shoes, riding nicks under regular shorts and a long sleeved cancer council shirt (too lazy for sunscreen) - Brad wears the full lycra get up - just can't bring myself to do it.

thanks fish - I didn't even think of Giant - d'oh (strange I didn't see them at the bike store on Clarence St or the big one I went to in Parra)

Member Teaching Pro

Hard to move in Jetty road on a sunday morning for all the "bike riders" and bikes having their coffees.
    Must be something about cycling and coffee, my uncle was an elite cyclist - olympic level and was always having coffee.
    I remember him bitching after coming home from a tour of New Zealand about how he couldnt get a cappacino. (was a long time ago)

Thread Information