Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default iPhone Golf Apps

Has anyone invested in any of these?

I was cruising through the App Store and found TeeShot, which appears to be much more than just a basic score counter. There are dozens of golf apps in the store, but this is the only one that seems to do any sort of statistical analysis?

At $23.99 it's one of the more expensive apps in the store, but if it's worthwhile that's still about a third of the cost of IntelliGolf, which doesn't seem to have evolved much over the years. There seems to be a growing list of courses too, with around 100 from Australia, including anything from North Ryde, to Half Moon Bay, to New South Wales.

Having used IntelliGolf years ago, it's sort of the benchmark. It was very easy to use. There are tons of others but they never really cut it.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Due to using a HTC Cruise so I can only limited myself to use Intelligolf (ig).

To be honest I am not that impressed with ig and always hoping there're something out there more sophisticated.

A-Lo - IntelliGolf never evolved from the early days. They released about 4 different versions, but nothing really ground breaking. All of the iPhone apps boast GPS use, either now or in future versions (not something I'm after for that matter).

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I've never paid any attention to the apps which record your score/ stats. I can do that when I get home while the round is still fresh in my memory. The only apps I'm interested in are the ones that give you distances (GPS). The best one of these that I've seen is called Greenfinder. At $43, it's not the cheapest app around, but it beats paying $300+ for a purpose-built golf GPS.

Edit: I see that they are now offerring a free trial on the Greenfinder site.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

It depends on the exact functionality of the device but something that gives you distances during a round ie GPS would be a breach of the rules...
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by Minor_Threat View Post
    It depends on the exact functionality of the device but something that gives you distances during a round ie GPS would be a breach of the rules...
    Not quite right. If the committee allows it, GPS' are fine, but anything that measures slope, wind etc. is not.

Edit: My club actually hires them out for use during comp rounds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Not quite right. If the committee allows it, GPS' are fine, but anything that measures slope, wind etc. is not.

Edit: My club actually hires them out for use during comp rounds.
    Like I said it depends on the functionality..

You are correct in saying a local rule can be made, however I am sure that the committee would stipulate that EVERY player must have access to such a device and not just a select few.

*Edit* Just noticed you mentioning them being hired out. I'm not sure if this went to the members for a vote but there is no way in the world I would vote for something like that! Ridiculous..
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

NSWGA has passed a blanket ruling for them in all comps. Will try and look it up in a second.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    NSWGA has passed a blanket ruling for them in all comps. Will try and look it up in a second.
    I'm only just coming back into amateur golf so I'm not familiar with all local or state body rules.. I find it ridiculous they would approve such a thing! What about the poor bastard who cant afford to hire one of these things?

Blog Entries
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

I'm only just coming back into amateur golf so I'm not familiar with all local or state body rules.. I find it ridiculous they would approve such a thing! What about the poor bastard who cant afford to hire one of these things?
    They can continue using the fixed markers on the course like everyone else. I never thought I'd gain much by using one until I played with a mate who had one. Another mate & I went halves in one and I find it virtually indispensable (mainly because I'm usually playing my approaches from the wrong fairway ). But if I hadn't used one first (like the vast majority of golfers) then I wouldn't know what I was missing.

Blog Entries

Still needs a local rule at the other clubs to use such a device in normal club events though.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Blog Entries

They can continue using the fixed markers on the course like everyone else. I never thought I'd gain much by using one until I played with a mate who had one. Another mate & I went halves in one and I find it virtually indispensable (mainly because I'm usually playing my approaches from the wrong fairway ). But if I hadn't used one first (like the vast majority of golfers) then I wouldn't know what I was missing.
    Obviously there is nothing that can be done about it now. You have said yourself it does give an advantage.. **** me what were they thinking when they allowed this? Putting $$$ ahead of fairness is a disgrace!

Blog Entries

Have said that improves the pace of play too. I know it has helped me a lot.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Blog Entries

To speed up play! **** me..

Take the skill out of the game why don't they!!

*Edit* I will take great pleasure in beating some bastard in pennants walking around with his fancy GPS. There is no way in the world I will use one!

I don't see the big deal. The average amateur doesn't get the luxury of a practice round the day before a comp to work out a course strategy and personalise a course guide, or a caddy to pace out the nearest sprinkler head.
    A GPS doesn't give any info that can't be worked out manually, and that's why they have been allowed for use in club comps.

Blog Entries

Its is a lot more accurate than any manual calculation. Like I said earlier it isn't issued to every golfer so some have an advantage over others in terms of obtaining a very accurate distance measurement! The rest of us rely on sight and the clubs distance markers (which more often then not are inaccurate also).

They are legal in NSWGA events what can I say. I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to things like that and tend to think about the first time I played Royal Melbourne with not a distance marker or measurement in sight (besides the tees and scorecard)

Like I said earlier it isn't issued to every golfer so some have an advantage over others in terms of obtaining a very accurate distance measurement!
    The others can chose to buy one for themselves if they so wish. No one is going to provide anyone with anything for free.

They are legal in NSWGA events what can I say. I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to things like that and tend to think about the first time I played Royal Melbourne with not a distance marker or measurement in sight (besides the tees and scorecard)

I've used one once or twice and in total honesty they only help you to work out a distance when you are miles away from the fairway. Really no big deal.
    Forum needs more banter.

Blog Entries

The others can chose to buy one for themselves if they so wish. No one is going to provide anyone with anything for free.
    Don't mind me I'm just cynic at times and think there may have been something going on behind play for something like this to happen. It is in accordance with the rules so I need to get used to people using them..

Yeah whatever. There are other threads to argue about GPS.....

Carrying an iPhone around a golf course is plainly arrogant and stupid - it's too hard to read the screen in direct sunlight anyway. I don't find the iPhone GPS accurate enough to want to rely on it on a golf course, and 4.5 hours of GPS on an iPhone will kill the battery.

As Courty said, I put the info in at the end of the round.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan View Post
    Yeah whatever. There are other threads to argue about GPS.....

Carrying an iPhone around a golf course is plainly arrogant and stupid - it's too hard to read the screen in direct sunlight anyway. I don't find the iPhone GPS accurate enough to want to rely on it on a golf course, and 4.5 hours of GPS on an iPhone will kill the battery.

As Courty said, I put the info in at the end of the round.
    Yeah fair enough, my apologies for hijacking your thread dude..

Grant, either you or Virge or both of you were telling me that the NSWGA has passed this as a blanket local rule in all golf club competitions statewide.

That media release you just showed us doesnt say that at all, it only covers State run events. That chook run we played in on Friday is not run by the state.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Blog Entries

Yeah Virge told me that and I believed him as others had said that too. I have seen the Local rule at many clubs recently though. I only use it where I see the rule on the board though. On my PDA I mainly rely on intelligolf to do stat tracking/ scoring.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

How about this one?

Thread Information