Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Nudgee Golf Club Redevelopment.

Well subs are due for another year at Nudgee and aside from a newsletter that came out in April I'm pretty much in the dark about how the Gateway Motorway redevelopment will effect my club.
    Purely from a selfish once a week golfer point of view I'm not sure if I want to pony up full fees if in a couple of months half of the the South course is gone and we are putting on temporary greens.
    G69 has passed on some tidbits to us that he has heard on the grapevine ranging from the club losing the driving range to an aquatic driving range out the front of the proshop.
    Maybe I'm overreacting here and maybe the club is still waiting on decisions themselves from Main Roads but some news would be helpful.
    Here is the April newsletter.

NEWSLETTER - APRIL 2008
    GATEWAY ARTERIAL UPGRADE

At the annual general meeting held in December 2007 the Board advised that the General Manager and I had been in ongoing discussions with Officers from the Department of Main Roads and their Consultants regarding the upgrading of the Gateway Arterial and I indicated that it would be the end of March before further information would be available. Further information has been tabled and we are now entering the next phase of the process.

But first I wish to convey my thanks to all Members for their support of the Board for the past two years and for your vote of confidence in returning the same Board for the current two years. My thanks extend to the “Ordinary” Members, Five Day Members, Lady Members and the Staff who make every effort to make our time at the Club enjoyable.

Back to the future of our Club and golf facilities.

In January Main Roads commissioned four Golf Course Architectural Firms to report on the impacts that could occur if the Department resumes approximately 7 hectares of land from the South Course for the Gateway upgrade. These reports have been tabled and are being reviewed by the Departments Consultants, our General Manager and myself. The Department have not approved the release of the reports to the Club at this point in time.

The confidentiality maintained during the commissioning of the Architects has resulted in four very independent reports addressing the major issues which are:-

The containment of existing facilities in a reduced area of land.
    The rearrangement or reduction of facilities.
    The acquisition of additional land.
    The possible redesign of the golf course.

The reports all conclude that comparable facilities to the existing facilities cannot be contained in a reduced area and that additional land is required if we are to maintain a comparable 36 hole facility.

We have advised the Departments Consultants that the Club has no interest in accepting a reduction to the existing facilities but we would be agreeable to redesign if additional land was available.

I would like to make the comment that discussion about possible course design is not relevant until the Department advises whether additional land is available and the Manager and I have offered the Department a continuing degree of confidentiality while they explore all the options.

We will keep you informed as further information becomes available.

Vern Smerdon
    President.

Haven't nudgee been gifted a large sum of money for the resumption of the land?

If that is the case, I would expect that to me spent on the remaining facilities to make up for the loss of 9 holes and a bunch of land.

Regardless, the next year or two are certainly going to have a negative impact on the club no matter which way you look at it.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Gaz,

Perci, Graham and Eags had a few schooners after our round last week. whilst in the bar, max walked past and started talking to us about the redevelopment. He told us that at this stage they are unsure of what will happen as the council/government are still yet to do enviromental impact studies and the like ... so in his educated guess, it could still be a non-event in a couple of years time

Dick69 might be able to shed some more light on the issue, but as far as the staff at Nudgee go ... they don't really know what's gonna happen ???
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post
    Gaz,

so in his educated guess, it could still be a non-event in a couple of years time
    The problem is that road will be finished in a years time.

I hope we have been gifted some dough,was'nt someone floating the idea that club was aquiring North Lakes or the management of.?

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post

I hope we have been gifted some dough,was'nt someone floating the idea that club was aquiring North Lakes or the management of.?
    Still unsure on this ??? Max indicated that the talks he's had with government/council was that they still weren't exactly sure how wide the road was going to be ? Bike lanes and the like have to come into it too

He did say that they would lose quite a fair chunk of the South Course, with the maintenance shed having to go as well.

Max was quite confident they would do well through the compensation deal as did RQ.

Dick, would your 'plans' enable a layout with 4 x 9 holes starting and finishing from the clubhouse ?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Will the new holes be above or below Sea Level? Global warming must be considered and I would think Nudgee would the first to go?!

I'm actually more concerned about the new parallel runway at the Airport ..... that's gonna get pretty close to the holes down the back corner there

They're also waiting to find out how far north Nudgee road will be moved as that may throw up some extra land.

I'd start by never trusting someone named "Vern Smerdon"

It sounds like a Simpsons character!

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Do people ever get pissed and start hitting shots down the runway?
    Forum needs more banter.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69 View Post
    Hitting it down a concrete runway is the only hope you got of knocking it past 200m son.
    Thanks for the tip Mr Bylsma

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    I'd start by never trusting someone named "Vern Smerdon"

It sounds like a Simpsons character!
    Our general manager is actually a dead-ringer for Clancy Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    Do people ever get pissed and start hitting shots down the runway?
    No, that would be very silly

Whats the worry - the Airport course in Bangkok is located in-between the runways.

Gaz, dont worry about the temp greens a clever course designer would always ensure that there are very few of them, if any. When we went through a complete makeover at Emerald Lakes there was normally only 2 temporary greens, (rarely 3) as they would build some new holes, put them in play, before taking old ones out. Obviously Nudgee would have even more flexibility to do that especially if getting new land, as they can build all of those first before carving up the existing course.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

goughy

So, is nudgee expensive if only an 18 hole layout for a while??

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    Sorry, ain't gonna happen that quickly. These things take a lot of time, especially the design phase.

My home club is having some land resumed which will affect the course layout also. The club & members have been well aware of it for quite a few years now and there is still no sign of anything starting any time soon. I heard a whisper that state gov't funding may have been approved in this current financial year. If that is true, then they will only just be starting the design stage and wouldn't actually turn a sod for a minimum of 12 months.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Gaz,

It will be interesting because I will be pissed (and have already told Rick) that we joined in Dec and were told the course would stay as 36 holes. I don't think the course would work as 27. The mens comp is full every sat and ladies have 3 hours of tee times on the south course for comp as well. That was one of the reasons we joined (A strong comp field but you are able to book into).

Rick noted a few options depending on funding.

*land on the otherside of the bike path.
    *Moving the club to a new site
    *A chance of doing another 9 or 18 on the other side of nudgee road? (using a over pass like hope Island?)

He assured me that nudgee would stay 36 holes.... but its not worth much.

I hope they don't screw the course trying to fit 36 holes in without new land, or design on the fly.

I would agree more information would be good.

On a side note I think we will get it before NOMS are due as a bird has told me that they want to start taking land with in the month.

Nudgee Plate /McLeod Cup

The battle field

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Isn't the other side of Nudgee road some sort of protected bog of eternal stench?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Sorry, ain't gonna happen that quickly. These things take a lot of time, especially the design phase.
    You not seen the construction creeping from both sides? Nudgee will end up an M1 Spit Roast if it doesn't happen quickly. A little golf course isn't going to stop the bridge from being on time that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by poidda View Post
    You not seen the construction creeping from both sides?
    Ummm, no. I don't live in Brisbane.

Ummm, no. I don't live in Brisbane.
    Ummm, if you did, you'd know how quickly things are happening.

Quote Originally Posted by poidda View Post
    Ummm, if you did, you'd know how quickly things are happening.
    I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'll back my 15 years in civil construction that it isn;t.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'll back my 15 years in civil construction that it isn;t.
    According to this, it will be fully open by late 2010. I have a mate who's working on the bridge and he says they are well ahead of schedule.

http://www.gatewayupgradeproject.com...id=5211&id=371

Yeah but the Gateway bridge is being done by Qld Motorways and that project doesnt extend to the road beside the Nudgee golf course.

The Road adjacent to Nudgee golf club will be upgraded by the Main Roads department, and that project is only in the 'planning study' stage with nothing on the table yet.

I'll back Courty on this one. From what I have seen down this way, you would be looking at a couple of years before they break out the crayons and draw some pictures.

one would think that anybody really concerned about the impact on their club, would use google
    http://www.gatewayupgradeproject.com.au/asp/index.asp

http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/web/...0?OpenDocument
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 4th September 2008 at 06:07 PM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post

I'll back Courty on this one. From what I have seen down this way, you would be looking at a couple of years before they break out the crayons and draw some pictures.
    Cool,I'll probably be sick of golf in a couple of years and won't care that much.

Thread Information