Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Explain how...
    Make no mistake, this is about nothing more than Spotify wanting to make more money/pay apple less. They don’t call it a 30% tax by mistake. It sounds much worse than a fee.

Apple created and owns the whole shebang including its own music streaming service, Spotify jumps onboard and uses the apple created and owned infrastructure to make money from a service in direct competition with one apple sells.

Coke would charge Pepsi a hefty fee to deliver their stuff to supermarkets in coke trucks too. Because it’s “virtual” it’s different?

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Make no mistake, this is about nothing more than Spotify wanting to make more money/pay apple less. They don’t call it a 30% tax by mistake. It sounds much worse than a fee.

Apple created and owns the whole shebang including its own music streaming service, Spotify jumps onboard and uses the apple created and owned infrastructure to make money from a service in direct competition with one apple sells.

Coke would charge Pepsi a hefty fee to deliver their stuff to supermarkets in coke trucks too. Because it’s “virtual” it’s different?
    Pay Apple less, completely agree. They have to to remain competitive. But Apple is using its Monopoly in an unfair way.

It's called a 30% tax because that's exactly what it is. It's well known, Spotify aren't the first to use that term.

Apple didn't create the whole shebang, it did as it's been doing the last 8 years and just paid a metric shittonne for an already established product and rebranded it as their own. Spotify was around well before Beats had any interest in doing music streaming.

And yes, because its virtual it is different. Coke would have to pay for additional fuel, truck drivers, and maintenance of their fleet to deliver Pepsi to supermarkets. They'd be perfectly within their rights to charge a fee to do so.

Spotify being on devices helps sales of iDevices. If you took Spotify off Apple devices there's no way in hell I'd buy one, and there'd be millions of others like me.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I use Apple Music, and it plays music good.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I use Apple Music, and it plays music good.
    I use Spotify, and it plays music bettererer.
    GolfMap

With the Spotify app you downloaded from the Spotify store on your Spotify phone

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Great! Neither of us have anything to complain about then.

With the Spotify app you downloaded from the Spotify store on your Spotify phone
    Worst. Argument. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Great! Neither of us have anything to complain about then.
    Unless Apple put Spotify out of business because of their dodgy as **** business practices.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Pay Apple less, completely agree. They have to to remain competitive. But Apple is using its Monopoly in an unfair way.It's called a 30% tax because that's exactly what it is. It's well known, Spotify aren't the first to use that term.Apple didn't create the whole shebang, it did as it's been doing the last 8 years and just paid a metric shittonne for an already established product and rebranded it as their own. Spotify was around well before Beats had any interest in doing music streaming.And yes, because its virtual it is different. Coke would have to pay for additional fuel, truck drivers, and maintenance of their fleet to deliver Pepsi to supermarkets. They'd be perfectly within their rights to charge a fee to do so. Spotify being on devices helps sales of iDevices. If you took Spotify off Apple devices there's no way in hell I'd buy one, and there'd be millions of others like me.
    Apple are being ruthless pricks. But that’s ok. It’s just how the free market works. Spotify is free to only offer its service on non-Apple devices if it wants. Spotify fans are free to only buy non-Apple devices to use Spotify. Enough people do that then there’s an incentive for Apple to change its practices. If not then why would Apple do it any differently.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Worst. Argument. Ever.
    This is a luddite understanding of things.

No mistakes are being made. I don't think Spotify is claiming they aren't trying to make money on the Apple platform; that is literally what the video is about. Apple are actively blocking Spotify from choosing a payment method other than Apple's own, and then charging them 30% for the privilege. You seem to be inferring that this is purely a price gouge by Spotify just to bolster their bottom line (and are viewing that an egregious act) all the while seemingly totally cool with Apple applying said 'fee' for those very same reasons.

These Nike/Adidas and Coke/Pepsi comparisons looser than this morning's post-coffee turd. Coke and Pepsi don't sell physical devices where they promote and encourage other businesses to invest in developing their products with a view to add value to their own brand's service offer, as Apple does.

Diversity in a dominant marketplace is important, and just because you own that marketplace as well as sell a competing product on that marketplace doesn't mean you are free to act as you like. As Dave mentioned, it is a wonder they have avoided many anti-trust legal action for all this time; the EU has been sniffing around for years.

Anyhoo, these types of actions generally cause waves. They will do for Apple too, in time, and I for one can't wait for the day it all comes rolling back. They haven't produced an interesting product worthy of so much as a slightly raised eyebrow since Jobs shuffled off this mortal coil; they are the New Microsoft, destined for the purses of middle-aged Aunties and Grandmas alike.

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    This is a luddite understanding of things.

No mistakes are being made. I don't think Spotify is claiming they aren't trying to make money on the Apple platform; that is literally what the video is about. Apple are actively blocking Spotify from choosing a payment method other than Apple's own, and then charging them 30% for the privilege. You seem to be inferring that this is purely a price gouge by Spotify just to bolster their bottom line (and are viewing that an egregious act) all the while seemingly totally cool with Apple applying said 'fee' for those very same reasons.

These Nike/Adidas and Coke/Pepsi comparisons looser than this morning's post-coffee turd. Coke and Pepsi don't sell physical devices where they promote and encourage other businesses to invest in developing their products with a view to add value to their own brand's service offer, as Apple does.

Diversity in a dominant marketplace is important, and just because you own that marketplace as well as sell a competing product on that marketplace doesn't mean you are free to act as you like. As Dave mentioned, it is a wonder they have avoided many anti-trust legal action for all this time; the EU has been sniffing around for years.

Anyhoo, these types of actions generally cause waves. They will do for Apple too, in time, and I for one can't wait for the day it all comes rolling back. They haven't produced an interesting product worthy of so much as a slightly raised eyebrow since Jobs shuffled off this mortal coil; they are the New Microsoft, destined for the purses of middle-aged Aunties and Grandmas alike.
    I like being on the same side as Henno. He knows how to say stuff proper an' junk.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

You seem to be inferring that this is purely a price gouge by Spotify just to bolster their bottom line (and are viewing that an egregious act) all the while seemingly totally cool with Apple applying said 'fee' for those very same reasons.
    You infer. If I do anything, it’s imply.

And I’m absolutely saying Spotify is doing whatever they can to bolster their bottom line. So is apple. I have no problem with either of them doing it. If Spotify don’t like it they can leave. Being forced to increase prices is a load of crap. They can keep prices the same and reduce profit.

The comparisons are entirely valid. How many other companies provide the facilities for a competitor to sell a product in direct competition to its own with no restrictions over how it’s done?

YHow many other companies provide the facilities for a competitor to sell a product in direct competition to its own with no restrictions over how it’s done?
    Plenty. The obvious example is Google (Google Play, Google Music).

Although no one is suggesting 'no restrictions'; only you with that nifty little strawman there. The bugbear here is that Apple is actively disadvantaging apps that compete with its own on their market. A better example might be ICE, who owns the NYSE. They also own a bunch of other clearing houses. Imagine if they started actively disadvantaging other competing financial institutions listed on the NYSE in order to advance their own brands?

But they own the whole shebang! Why don't those other companies start their own stock exchange and list their own financial institution on that stock exchange? Would Nike let Adidas list on their stock exchange? Something something Coke tastes better than Pepsi.

The bugbear here is that Apple is actively disadvantaging apps that compete with its own on their market.
    That’s it? I get it now. What an unimaginable atrocity!

That’s it? I get it now. What an unimaginable atrocity!
    So you'd be completely fine if ICE started imposing financial and procedural restrictions for competing financial institutions also active on the NYSE? Or are we just going to gloss over that analogy because it is far better than Coke delivering Pepsi?

So you'd be completely fine if ICE started imposing financial and procedural restrictions for competing financial institutions also active on the NYSE? Or are we just going to gloss over that analogy because it is far better than Coke delivering Pepsi?
    As a general rule I don’t have a problem with anyone setting the terms and conditions of the sale of a product they provide especially if the customer is using those goods or services to make money.

Best analogy. Well done.

As a general rule I don’t have a problem with anyone setting the terms and conditions of the sale of a product they provide especially if the customer is using those goods or services to make money.
    Might as well throw every regulatory body in the bin then, eh. How could we have gotten it so wrong.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    How Apple has avoided Antitrust Prosecution in the US has me totally beat. The Right to Repair movement is right up their ribs at present. Apple are down right dishonest in many of their business practices. And the numpty Appleoids just keep drinking the juice.
    Actually Apple are being sued by App Developers including Spotify about this very issue;

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/20/1...ding-explainer

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I'll just sit here quietly eating my popcorn and listening to my WAV files on my Zune.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    I'll just sit here quietly eating my popcorn and listening to my WAV files on my Zune.
    WAV > MP3

FLAC owns all.

Thread Information