Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 650 AUD (65%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    I've always bought the standard RAM and upgraded myself. Sooner or later there will be a tutorial online about how to do it with the new iMacs.
    Apple seem to be locking this down moreso than previous models. Proprietary screws to access the internals, and I read somewhere that with the new MBP range they glue in the HDD and solder on the RAM. They really don't want anyone who's not an Apple tech to fiddle with the guts. That's something I'd miss if I ever bought a Mac for personal use (I use Macs at work and have Windows machines at home).

Here's something:

iFixit just finished a teardown of Apple’s new 13-inch retina MacBook Pro, and the findings are a mixed bag of good and bad news for folks who like to fix their own gear. Compared to the 15-inch retina MacBook Pro, the smaller model should be marginally easier to tinker with. But it’s still pretty much impossible to repair.Remember how the battery in the last 15-inch retina MacBook Pro was glued into place? Well, this time around, Apple’s placed some of the cells into a metal tray held into place with screws — iFixit managed to remove all six battery cells without destroying the anything. There’s hope there, at least, for a replacement.
    But that’s where the good news ends. The iFixit teardown reveals that the new Pro is locked up by the same proprietary petalobe screws that’ll keep you from opening it up, the RAM is soldered to the logic board so you can’t upgrade the memory ever, and the display assembly is basically impossible to deconstruct, which means that you can’t fix a cracked screen yourself. So much for self-sufficiency. if you were wondering if you should get Apple Care for your shiny new MacBook, the answer’s almost definitely yes.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Mububban View Post
    They really don't want anyone who's not an Apple tech to fiddle with the guts.
    Did you consider that they are sacrificing Upgradebility to make it thinner, lighter, cooler, and more appley. Soldered on ram chips take up a lot less space than removable modules, as do the glued in batteries.

You should have, iFixit has mentioned this a few times.

Proprietary screws to access the internals
    and you can buy the pentalobe screwdrivers on ebay for a few bucks. That alone is not a big deal, anyone that does any work with a Mac would already have these, Apple have been using non-standard screws like Torx et al for at least 10 years.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Mububban View Post
    <font color="#333333">iFixit </font>http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Late+2012+Teardown/11225/2&quot;]just finished[/URL]<font color="#333333"> a teardown of Apple’s new 13-inch retina MacBook Pro, and the findings are a mixed bag of good and bad news for folks who like to fix their own gear. Compared to the 15-inch retina MacBook Pro, the smaller model should be marginally easier to tinker with. But it’s still pretty much impossible to repair.</font><font color="#333333">Remember how the battery in the last 15-inch retina MacBook Pro was <i>glued</i> into place? Well, this time around, Apple’s placed some of the cells into a metal tray held into place with screws — iFixit managed to remove all six battery cells without destroying the anything. There’s hope there, at least, for a replacement.</font><br />
    <font color="#333333">But that’s where the good news ends. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Late+2012+Teardown/11225/2&quot;]The iFixit teardown reveals that[/URL] the new Pro is locked up by the same proprietary petalobe screws that’ll keep you from opening it up, the RAM is soldered to the logic board so you can’t upgrade the memory ever, and the display assembly is basically impossible to deconstruct, which means that you can’t fix a cracked screen yourself. So much for self-sufficiency. if you were wondering if you should get Apple Care for your shiny new MacBook, the answer’s almost definitely yes.
    </font>
    Jeez! Why don't they put a nest of live scorpions in there too!? And I though HP were bastards for using torx heads on their case screws!

Any of you Mac dudes using a USB to Ethernet adaptor?

If you do, I am interested to know if it has ever lost the connection and the only solution is to unplug from the usb port and connect again, no amount of reboots will fix it.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post

If you do, I am interested to know if it has ever lost the connection and the only solution is to unplug from the usb port and connect again, no amount of reboots will fix it.
    What are you using that would need one of those?
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Connecting to network via ethernet cable of course !

yes i know its a long shot that a mac dude would even use a cable.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Connecting to network via ethernet cable of course !

yes i know its a long shot that a mac dude would even use a cable.
    Well duh! Connecting what to the network?
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Oh sorry, A macbook air - they are the only Mac that dont have an ethernet port (well until just now as the new generaton of MBP doesnt either).

So its probably not the issue you are thinking of.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 6th December 2012 at 11:08 PM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Yes

No. We've got an 11" Air we've been using for well over a year now and the connection has never dropped. Still on Lion for the OS

If you start out depressed everything’s kind of a pleasant surprise.
    WITB: stuff.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Another mac question.

What does everyone use to convert .avi files to itunes. I have some tv shows I want to be able to stream through apple tv. Have had a quick look online with varying results.

Thanks guys
    Ronny's Golflink

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Default The "Hi... I'm a Mac" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    Another mac question.

What does everyone use to convert .avi files to itunes. I have some tv shows I want to be able to stream through apple tv. Have had a quick look online with varying results.

Thanks guys
    Video monkey is great best program I've found, does metadata too

i use handbrake http://handbrake.fr/ have no problems at all and easy to use

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Have a look at SmartConverter in the AppStore. Free. Just not sure what file formats it supports, but I'm pretty sure it does .avi
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Thanks guys! giving handbrake a go and will check out the others in the app Store.

I'm a bit late but have 4 seasons of braking bad to watch!
    Ronny's Golflink

Handbrake or iVI Pro.

If you start out depressed everything’s kind of a pleasant surprise.
    WITB: stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    If you have an Apple TV 2 (or 1) dont convert them at all. Just jailbreak and install XBMC and will play everything.
    --
    Handy-Cap

If anyone is in the market for the Retina MacBook Pro, here is a ridiculously cheap one. I'd buy it but can't swing the cash right now, thought someone else should have the chance.

http://www.megabuy.com.au/apple-macb...m_medium=email
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

Isn't that the company that has about 5 similar websites, that has a massive listing of products, slightly different pricing to make it look like different companies but usually has no stock and takes ages to get your money back?
    --
    Handy-Cap

Isn't that the company that has about 5 similar websites, that has a massive listing of products, slightly different pricing to make it look like different companies but usually has no stock and takes ages to get your money back?
    Not a clue Blakey, but I've never had any trouble with them.
    GolfMap

Seems Megabuy is legit they are not who I am thinking of

I cant remember the name of these scammers. They legitimately sell stuff, but they create 5 stores so they can flood the shopping search websites like Shopbot and Ozprice. I figured it out when i was looking for some obscure stuff and it was the same 5 AU online stores that always had it, yet not even available anywhere in USA or ebay.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 22nd April 2013 at 07:35 PM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

I have used megabuy a fair bit. Did once buy something that went out of stock. Refund was easy.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default The "Hi... I'm a Mac" thread

I would not buy from MegaBuy in a pink fit.

They are drop shippers mostly in my experience, shipping is often slow, and I have had more than one purchase where they have claimed to have stock and not had it... And then they dragged their heels on the refunds too. My experience is not isolated as there is a massive thread on Whirlpool full of unhappy MegaBuy customers complaining about similar behaviour... They appear to be serial offenders.

About the only good thing I could say about them is they're not as bad as Penta.
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    I would not buy from MegaBuy in a pink fit.

They are drop shippers mostly in my experience, shipping is often slow, and I have had more than one purchase where they have claimed to have stock and not had it... And then they dragged their heels on the refunds too. My experience is not isolated as there is a massive thread on Whirlpool full of unhappy MegaBuy customers complaining about similar behaviour... They appear to be serial offenders.

About the only good thing I could say about them is they're not as bad as Penta.
    Funny, as I said I've not had any problems with them.

The no stock issue and slow refund could be a potential issue, but I sure as hell could wait a couple of weeks for almost $1000 off.
    GolfMap

What's an easy way to get photos from the iPhone into Ozgolf?

Presently I upload to Google/Picasa then go to PC and get the full URL to paste into my post and its a pain
    --
    Handy-Cap

Tapatalk when it works

Thread Information