Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    goughy

Default How long do you like your driver shaft?

Just wondering what everyones preference is (if you have one that is). I've always assumed that around 45" was about right. Anyway, I just had my driver reshafted with a speeder and the shaft lenght seemed short before it I got it done, so I asked them to extend it about an inch.

Picked it up today and it's about 43", so I doubt they extended it at all. But I really liked the look of it at setup and the feel was nice throughout the swing. So I had a hit with it this arvo and it was ok. Because it's shorter I started to try and smash it without great results, but not really any shorter than any of my other drivers.

On the last hole I sliced my first one. I decided to hit a second and just relaxed and put an easy smooth swing on it. It finished just as far as my longest drive on that hole with not much run because of very wet conditions. So it's staying for now.

Has anyone else considered going to a shorter driver length to increase control? Did you find that because of the better contact you didn't lose anything much in distance.

It also fits in well for me as my 3 wood is only 41".

By the way, the speeder is a 757 X flex

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Glad it's working for you at 43 inches Dean. That was probably "normal" only a few years back. Most people would probably find more fairways at that length. I think mine is 43.5, not too sure. I tend to grip down an inch or two sometimes when I'm trying to hit a narrow target. My arms are long enough as it is, so doubt I could handle a 45+ inch driver. It'd probably go a long way if I ever caught it square though!!

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Legend of OZgolf Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Currently at 44.75" & tend to grip down a bit as well. All my other recent drivers have been at 45".
    RIP 1984-2006

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

went from a 250cc, 46" driver to a 455cc at 44.25". Put the shorter shaft with the illiusion that the big heads give, it was a massive change, but if I try to isolate the shorter shaft, I'd say it's been a good thing.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Has anyone else considered going to a shorter driver length to increase control?
    The point of the bigger heads is counteract the loss of control with the longer shafts. And the clubhead is designed to be used with an optimial shaft length. So the answer to your question should be No. Shortening the length of the shafts would be overkill.

Whilst i didnt seem to have any trouble hitting the ball further a while back with a steel shaft and probably a <100cc head, there doeesnt seem to be any trend now towards using shorter shafts and smaller heads.

I would say that if a golfer neds to improve control with his driver its not the length thats the problem, but the flex.

There is a guide to lengths here
    http://www.tutelman.com/golfclubs/De...nline#standard

I dont know what driver shaft lengths were 20 years ago. In those days we just bought whatever looked nice on the shelf.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake
    I would say that if a golfer neds to improve control with his driver its not the length thats the problem, but the flex.
    If we were on some another forum I'd disagree with that

goughy

[quote="markTHEblakeI would say that if a golfer neds to improve control with his driver its not the length thats the problem, but the flex.

I dont know what driver shaft lengths were 20 years ago. In those days we just bought whatever looked nice on the shelf.[/quote]

I would agree with you on the flex blakey. I actually put this shaft in the club for selling it, but thought what the heck, give it a go first. I was looking to scale back in my shaft flex and shaft weight.

I always thought that driver shafts from years ago were in the vicinity of 43" to 43.5". In fact my old tm200 3 wood is .5" longer in length than this driver.

How things have changed.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake
    Has anyone else considered going to a shorter driver length to increase control?
    The point of the bigger heads is counteract the loss of control with the longer shafts. And the clubhead is designed to be used with an optimial shaft length. So the answer to your question should be No. Shortening the length of the shafts would be overkill.
    I disagree with that Blakey, I think the longer shafts came about after big headed drivers, not the other way around. And the point of bigger heads is forgiveness for the average hacker, the materials the manufacture's used became light enough that they could make 400cc heads, and because the drivers were more forgiving they could put longer shafts in to increase said hackers distance, when they didn't hit it out of the middle. The whole reson the pro's play driver length's from 43.5-44.5" is for control, you're more likely to hit the sweetspot more often with a shorter shaft than a longer one.

Whilst i didnt seem to have any trouble hitting the ball further a while back with a steel shaft and probably a <100cc head, there doeesnt seem to be any trend now towards using shorter shafts and smaller heads.
    I don't know of any pro's, but there most likely are some, that play a driver longer than 44.5". But I don't think pro's are longer today than they used to be. As, the result of an old driver hit out of the sweetspot would be similar distance wise to a new driver hit on the sweetspot. Now a mishit compared to todays driver and one of 20yrs ago, the difference would be huge.... Which is why they all use big heads.

I dont know what driver shaft lengths were 20 years ago. In those days we just bought whatever looked nice on the shelf.
    I would say it's a combination of flex and length, not just flex.....

Iain

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

IMO, with the bigger head, everyone can afford to have their drivers capped at 44inch....
    afterall...it's not how hard you swing it, but how well you make contact...

it's prob more important to make sure that your 3wood length is set up correctly...too many 3woods this days are just too long (shaft wise)...
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I have no idea what my shaft lengths are, but I guess I should. That's something I will probably look into next year.

I like the idea of gripping down the driver for more control, I just don't do it enough.

44.75" for all the drivers i've had.

i might look at going down to 44" soon though, to get some more control happening
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

What is the legal length of driver shaft? 47"?

I perfer a longer shaft because its easier for me to feel where the head goes.

With shorter shaft, say 43", I tend to swing it too hard and too up right... which result either A: unusual high trajectory (NOT SKYING IT!!) or B: Fat soht

I like to have the shaft longer, feel where the head is, swing a flatter plane and smack the living sh1t out of it

Senior Member Major Winner

No idea what mine is, but did a side-to-side comparison last weekend and looked about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch shorter than my partner - so assuming it's 44.5 or 44.75.

Works for me (sometimes)?
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

48inch limit on drivers....470cc limit on heads...
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

Quote Originally Posted by McMw
    48inch limit on drivers.......
    .. unless you're one of those long-drive monsters

I tried to use a shorter driver but couldn't get used to it.

I had one built to 44.25" which performed pretty well, but in the end, I couldn't get used to it. In the process of selling it...

Have gone back to 45" drivers...

Member Club Pro

Play mine at 45 inches. Grip it normally to swing easy but choke down an inch when I want to try and smack it. Find the shorter length and lighter swingweight help me to get the driver through quicker.

I would think that most drivers these days are made to play at 45 inches so if you shorten them you change the swingweight quite a bit.
    WITB
    J33P 9.5* NV65S
    J33 15* 3 wood NV75S
    J33 18* 5 wood NV75S
    TM 300 Forged 3-PW PX 6.0
    Cleveland CG12 54/60
    Scotty Cameron Gun Blue Newport 2
    Oakley Staff Bag
    Taylor Made TP Black
    H\'cap 7

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan reporting on a visit to the urinals
    No idea what mine is, but did a side-to-side comparison last weekend and looked about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch shorter than my partner

Sorry. Tried to let it past, but I just couldn't.

goughy

Well, I got in 2 holes yesterday and while I hit both in the rough, distance was comparable with any other driver I've hit. And I still really like the length at setup.

And while they were both in the rough they weren't neally as bad a drive as my usual.

I may stick with it for a while and try and build up some confidence with a driver before I go back to the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    No idea what mine is, but did a side-to-side comparison last weekend and looked about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch shorter than my partner

You know what, as much as that appeals to my own childish sense of humour, i never saw that one coming....

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan

You know what, as much as that appeals to my own childish sense of humour, i never saw that one coming....
    not because of the fact that your partners is 1/4 to 1/2 " shorter than yours,
    what's even more worrying is the fact that your "partner" has one

.. something you're not telling us mate

Legend of OZgolf Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by jarro
    1 in 9, 1 in 9.....
    RIP 1984-2006

Quote Originally Posted by drunken
    1 in 9, 1 in 9.....
    Nice pickup, drunken.

Quote Originally Posted by drunken
    1 in 9, 1 in 9.....
    Nice pickup, drunken.
    um, yeah AndyP.. that's why i wrote it

Children, children....

Besides, it's not like most adolescent boys don't do a measure-off at some stage, is it?

Thread Information