PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to buy a Ping G2 driver,am I nuts?

gazgolf1
4th November 2004, 05:50 PM
I'm very happy with my TM R7 quad driver and most of you that have played with me will know that while I'm not that long I hit it pretty straight and can work it a little. :?
Anyway the g2 has been getting some pretty big wraps on the golf forums I visit and our own jaster thinks its the cats arse so I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 10 degree with either the NV 65 or the Grafalloy Pro launch.
What I want to know is am I nuts???????

Now I know which way the anti-hos are gunna vote,and I know which way the ho's are gunna vote but should I do it or just get some lessons on how to putt on lightning fast Cooly-Tweed river course greens.(Yes I've got some issues).
Vote away. :smt024

Iain
4th November 2004, 05:56 PM
Where's the Poll???? :P :P

Gaz, I played with you on Sunday, you hit that driver great. I think you just haven't ho'd anything for a while and want to do it for the sake of it.

So No, even though it may be a great driver, wait until you're hitting the R7 crap.

Iain

gazgolf1
4th November 2004, 05:58 PM
thanks Iain. :oops:
I tried to attach the poll.
Hopefully our wonderful admins will help me out soon.

clikchic
4th November 2004, 06:23 PM
Considering how cheap they are new really what can you lose by trying it. You are a ho after all.

And if you don't like it then you can sell it to me :D . I really really need a new driver. Seriously.

Jarro
4th November 2004, 06:32 PM
don't do it Gaz.. if you were hitting the R7 badly i'd say sure, but if you're striping the TM.. stick with it :wink:

Onewood
4th November 2004, 07:04 PM
After my vote it's 100% for the nut :D

I don't know why you would even think of changing from a TM :shock: unless your hitting too many fairways and you're getting bored :D

3oneday
4th November 2004, 07:12 PM
Get a Ping, I was very close, but just wasn't sold enough on the idea to go ahead. Can you find a demo anywhere first ??

Pete

gazgolf1
4th November 2004, 07:33 PM
Get a Ping, I was very close, but just wasn't sold enough on the idea to go ahead. Can you find a demo anywhere first ??

Pete

I've been looking but no luck so far......that would be sensible tho. :D

Anonymous
4th November 2004, 08:10 PM
I say no. I love my SI3 with a Grafalloy Blue but the G2s are stupidly big. Keep the R7.

BrisVegas
4th November 2004, 08:41 PM
It's only nuts if you don't get a setup that suits you. Whether that means an NV, Blue or Speeder, SK Fibre or whatever....

Find a pro or clubmaker that knows you and build the thing right.

My personal opinion is the G2 is too big. But then so is the R7. :wink:

davidp
4th November 2004, 08:42 PM
The ho in me says:

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES (while banging the table) :lol:

The golfer in me says:

"Are you nuts? If you're hitting your current driver okay. Why change?"

Which one of them has to swing the club every round? It's not the ho that sits on a computer scanning forums and drooling over "the latest thing." You're better off sticking with what you're comfortable with.

But, the ho in me usually wins. Damn PayPal & internet banking... :evil:

BrisVegas
4th November 2004, 08:45 PM
It's only nuts if you don't get a setup that suits you. Whether that means an NV, Blue or Speeder, SK Fibre or whatever....

3oneday
4th November 2004, 09:19 PM

are you sure ???

are you sure ???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

3oneday
4th November 2004, 09:23 PM
I've been looking but no luck so far......that would be sensible tho. :D
Seriously now, sorry Bris :oops: sooo, price comparison between these and the 540XD Tours, must be less than $150 based on some of the ones I have been watching, 400CC head, square or open, NV 75 Stiff, most left are 9.5*, all finishing in the next 1 to 5 days :wink:

Think Tour :shock: here we go, here we go, here we go, XD TOUR, XD TOUR, XD TOOOUURRR.......

8) 8) 8) :smt047

McMw
5th November 2004, 12:13 AM
Yes for me (tho I didn't vote)...

the G2 looks way better than the R7...and more importantly...sits SQUARE!!!

990B Luva
5th November 2004, 08:24 AM
go for it, McLeod have a demo with the standard PING Stiff in it, have a burl with that first

andylo
5th November 2004, 08:32 AM
Gaz,

Golfworks in Gabba has a few demo available... they will charge you like $15 for couple of days of demo.

AndyP
5th November 2004, 08:34 AM
And if you don't like it then you can sell it to me :D . I really really need a new driver. Seriously.
Wrong sign in, goughy. :roll:
Unless clikchic has finally been converted to golf. :shock:

Although I have voted that "you are nuts" (what else would you expect), being the HO that you are, can't you just buy the G2 while you have the R7 and compare? :idea:

macleod
5th November 2004, 09:58 AM
What I want to know is am I nuts???????

Vote away. :smt024

nah, for all reports an excellent driver so why deny youself the chance to give it a spin with the premium shaft at that price it's pretty darn good!

Jarro
5th November 2004, 10:01 AM
saw a few of them in the Pro-shop at CTH.

they are one seriously BIGHEADED driver :shock:

do yourself a favour and trial one with the NV65 Gaz.. by all reports it's a nice combo 8)

i'm hoping they have some at the demo-day at Northlakes this weekend :wink:

macleod
5th November 2004, 10:16 AM
so how much for the r7? :D

gazgolf1
5th November 2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice.... 8)

Anyway I bought one with a NV 65 so in about 3 weeks there will be either an R7 or G2 for sale here. :wink:

AndyP
5th November 2004, 01:51 PM
Anyway I bought one with a NV 65 so in about 3 weeks there will be either an R7 or G2 for sale here. :wink:
So how much weight did the poll have on your decision, gaz? :roll:

Do you already have one, or is it on the way?

gazgolf1
5th November 2004, 02:45 PM
So how much weight did the poll have on your decision, gaz? :roll:

Do you already have one, or is it on the way?

Always interested in other golfers opinions Andy but in the end a ho is a ho.
I bought one this morning so hopefully it will be here next week.....thankyou Makybe Diva. :wink:

Jarro
5th November 2004, 02:59 PM
thought you might have opted for one of those R580XD Tours that are going fairly cheap on Ebay at the moment :wink:

gazgolf1
5th November 2004, 05:48 PM
thought you might have opted for one of those R580XD Tours that are going fairly cheap on Ebay at the moment :wink:

I could'nt see them being any longer than my R7....but I've been wrong before. :wink:

Jarro
6th November 2004, 01:01 AM
but they look like a real mans club Gaz 8)

all big and lumpy :lol:

you probably don't need the extra forgiveness though, thats more for us hacks :P

right Blakey :wink:

gazgolf1
6th November 2004, 07:24 AM
you probably don't need the extra forgiveness though, thats more for us hacks :P

yeah....thats why I just bought a 460cc driver. :wink:

goughy
7th November 2004, 07:02 AM
For a retail club it sets up well, and the head won't look any bigger than your r7 to ya. My old 400cc dynacraft head looks bigger than the g2's.

And no, I don't own a g2 and am not about to buy one either.

Jarro
7th November 2004, 07:49 AM
gotta disagree with ya there Goughy, i had a good look at one of those G2's in the pro-shop at CTH.. and it looked bloody huge :shock: heaps bigger than the R7.. but hey, some people like that size driver head :?

terryand
7th November 2004, 08:34 AM
For a retail club it sets up well, and the head won't look any bigger than your r7 to ya. My old 400cc dynacraft head looks bigger than the g2's.

And no, I don't own a g2 and am not about to buy one either.

You can't be serious Goughy :smt017

My Deep bore is 455cc, only 5cc smaller and side by side it looks like it is about 40 to 50cc smaller :smt102 :-k

Terry.

Eag's
7th November 2004, 01:11 PM
Put the G2 alongside the R7 and you would swear the R7 was only a 300cc , but put it up alongside the R5 and there is bugger all difference.

goughy
7th November 2004, 01:27 PM
It's all a matter of opinion and perspective I guess. But I've had my 400cc dynacraft head for 4 or 5 years now and the shape of the g2 doesn't look that big. The dynacraft always did look huge tho.

Jarro
7th November 2004, 02:07 PM
Goughy,

.. i put the G2 next to the retail R7 today at the demo day .... looked like Tezza standing next to Blakey :shock:

the G2 next to the R5 though .. well that was another story. That Nike Ignite 460cc was a bloody monster too :o

he G2 is big.. no hiding that ... but it's more about how it plays isn't it, not how it looks :wink:

nudgee
7th November 2004, 02:28 PM
Gaz as you very well know and a lot of other people on this site know I am not particularly fond of the G2 - having said that I will agree that there is a lot of people out there that think it is the best thing since slice bread (and not just in this forum) - I demo'ed one and wanted to like it but I was very dissapointed (maybe it was the shaft - I will never know as I dont intend to hit another one again). In your case it will not make a difference as You will hit anything well but one thing that I am sure you will hate is the fact that it is going to be almost impossible for you to purposedly work the ball with this beast.

So when are you getting the X18 -X Tours??? I have already planted the seed in my mates head as he is going to Japan in two weeks time.

gazgolf1
7th November 2004, 02:42 PM
Gaz as you very well know and a lot of other people on this site know I am not particularly fond of the G2 - having said that I will agree that there is a lot of people out there that think it is the best thing since slice bread (and not just in this forum) - I demo'ed one and wanted to like it but I was very dissapointed (maybe it was the shaft - I will never know as I dont intend to hit another one again). In your case it will not make a difference as You will hit anything well but one thing that I am sure you will hate is the fact that it is going to be almost impossible for you to purposedly work the ball with this beast.

So when are you getting the X18 -X Tours??? I have already planted the seed in my mates head as he is going to Japan in two weeks time.

Nah mate :lol: ,very happy with my irons and the driver to for that matter,just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. :wink:
What shaft did the G2 that you demoed have in it?

nudgee
7th November 2004, 03:26 PM
I tried it with the nv65s but i found the combo very light and just didnt get the feel out of the driver that I get from other ones.

I dont know Gaz maybe I was trying hard not to like it as I couldnt get passed the size of the bugger. Maybe a G2 with a good heavy shaft may be a great combo??

goughy
7th November 2004, 03:48 PM
Aren't pings swingweights lighter than other clubs. Seems to be what I read about them. With some of the clubs you get your hands on nudgee that difference in swingweight could be a killer for you. And maybe also the nv65 stiff shaft wouldn't have been the best for you.

Jaster is crunching it tho. And he seems to be able to draw it with ease, which is one thing many people seem to say you can't do with this club.

gazgolf1
7th November 2004, 04:40 PM
Well I've got a Prolite sitting in the corner of the room I could throw in it or even swap out the Penley from my R7 if the NV does'nt work for me.
Nice to see jaster can draw his, I've heard the the G2 is a fade machine, I hate drivers that I can't turn over. :x

davidp
7th November 2004, 04:44 PM
It's all a matter of opinion and perspective I guess. But I've had my 400cc dynacraft head for 4 or 5 years now and the shape of the g2 doesn't look that big. The dynacraft always did look huge tho.

I see that the DFS is up for sale goughy?

I think that the G2 does look a little smaller than 460cc. It certainly doesn't look as big as the Adams Redline does, which is also 460cc. I've been curious about the G2 as well. Some retailers swear by them and think they're much better value than the latest TM gear.

For all of you hitting the latest TM gear, that's a retailer's opinion, not mine. Just a clarification before the :smt084 and :smt078 comes back at me. 8)

goughy
7th November 2004, 04:52 PM
retailer's [/b]opinion, not mine. Just a clarification before the :smt084 and :smt078 comes back at me. 8)

Covering your butt I see :D . Don't worry, we're not as tm geared as others.

The dfs is on ebay with some cobra irons and other stuff. Never gonna use it again so there was really no need to keep it around.

nudgee
7th November 2004, 07:41 PM
davidp,

you are absolutely correct with the Adams redline - wow talk about big it makes the G2 look like a Titleist PT fairway wood!!

The G2 is certainly kicking TM's butt in retail sales. One good thing that the G2 has is that it has forced all other OEMs to lower their prices for drivers considerably!! Which is great news for the golf consumer!!

Gaz let us know how the G2 goes - let me know when you are ready to change and I should by then have a couple of tasty toys to try (maybe a new 415cc fusion and the new Cally 454 :wink: )

drunken
7th November 2004, 07:57 PM
The G2 is certainly kicking TM's butt in retail sales. One good thing that the G2 has is that it has forced all other OEMs to lower their prices for drivers considerably!! Which is great news for the golf consumer!!

Also maybe forcing other OEM's to consider putting decent shafts in their drivers as stock options???

AndyP
7th November 2004, 10:29 PM
I had a look at this G2 that you gents have been talking about today. I thought it looked pretty big at address as well, considering I have a SMT DB455.

Seemed to have a shallower face than the DB, but was a longer head.

(Note that I did not do a side-by-side comparison, or demo the club. Also note that it is more than likely that I don't know what I am talking about.)

Jarro
8th November 2004, 12:55 AM
that's one thing i noticed about the G2 today, for such a big clubhead.. it has a pretty small face :?

.. still wouldn't mind having a bash with one though :wink:

gazgolf1
9th November 2004, 01:49 PM
Pssssst.......My G2 just arrived. 8)

Jarro
9th November 2004, 03:11 PM
so you going to brave the elements tonight Gaz :?:

gazgolf1
9th November 2004, 06:51 PM

Nope I don't have enough brave in me for these elements. :oops:

macleod
9th November 2004, 08:22 PM

Nope I don't have enough brave in me for these elements. :oops:

gaz, you up for a smack tomorrow at lunchtime (read...anytime during the day)at Vic park?

my arm has healed from the blood tests today...

Jarro
10th November 2004, 12:17 PM
come on cuteman, you must have hit it by now :roll:

lets here some reviews :!:

Psssst, i know someone else who hit one today :wink:

macleod
10th November 2004, 02:01 PM
hey, I liked it. :) nv65 s is nice.

about the same distance as other drivers i've hit, feel good, solid noise similar to the r7, darn forgiving, light swingweight that's for sure.

gazgolf1
10th November 2004, 03:32 PM
Well from one range session it appears to be line ball between the R7 and the G2.

Feel; Very similar with the R7 slightly ahead,the G2 felt slightly harsher but not a bad harsh.Maybe because my R7 is Hi-cor I'm getting a little trampoline effect and thats why they feel different.

Trajectory; G2 goes higher...well it is a 10 degree and the R7 is a 9.5.
I've heard that the G2 hits higher than its stated loft but I did'nt notice this,definately puts bugger all spin on the ball so higher shots go further.

Workability; The G2 likes to go straight with fades being easier than draws but I could turn it over to.The R7 is harder to fade for me.

Distance; Both of these shafts seem to work for me (Penley Graphite Light in the R7....Aldila NV-65 in the G2) so I was hitting both drivers about the same distance,very hard to split with the G2 being maybe 5m longer on my best drives.

All in all I could put either of these drivers in the bag but YMMV. 8)