PDA

View Full Version : Broomstick putter, where to get?

andylo
4th November 2004, 09:38 AM
Last nite I visit one of my uni-mate and her gf is a PHD in psychology and she always think I have mental problem... yesterday she reminds me again I DO HAVE mental problem...

So I decided to give a try on the Broomstick putter :lol:

Jono, where the hack you get yours?

I went to Golfworks and HOG in Mt Gravatte and it will cost around $300.... OUCH! :cry:

Look it up on the ebay and I can't find anything, both US and Aus site.

Anyone can give a good suggestion?

Fishman Dan
4th November 2004, 09:48 AM
Yep - stick to convetional putting. We've all got a mental problem, which is why we keep playing this game.

How can you get good at anything if you change so often? Stick with it - it will come!

McMw
4th November 2004, 09:50 AM
last time I saw...prosimmon has a broomie out for only 135 dollars (sticker price)....

I believe this is available anywhere...I've seen it at a big retail outlet, smallish retail outlet, and even at a public course proshop...

andylo
4th November 2004, 09:54 AM
Yep - stick to convetional putting. We've all got a mental problem, which is why we keep playing this game.

How can you get good at anything if you change so often? Stick with it - it will come!

Fishy... its a HO thing, you know... HO thing :lol:

davidp
4th November 2004, 10:03 AM

Actually, this time, it's a LO thing. :lol:

andylo
4th November 2004, 10:06 AM

Actually, this time, it's a LO thing. :lol:

True :lol:

Jarro
4th November 2004, 10:32 AM
stick with the conventional putting style A-Lo (Ho)

long putters will just mess your mind up even more :roll:

3oneday
4th November 2004, 10:38 AM
Look it up on the ebay and I can't find anything, both US and Aus site.
and what do you think that tells you ??? either no one wants to sell theirs or no one sells them because no one wants them :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Trung
4th November 2004, 10:51 AM
A-LO (or maybe J-LO :P )

Take a look at VJ, gone to the conventional putter and had won everything since. What does that tell ya :wink:

Jarro
4th November 2004, 10:59 AM
A-LO (or maybe J-LO :P )

Take a look at VJ, gone to the conventional putter and had won everything since. What does that tell ya :wink:

he has said he actually putted better with the belly-putter :smt017 did alright with it too :smt023

.. but he prefers the conventional style :roll:

macleod
4th November 2004, 11:39 AM
nah, straddle the line like i demonstrated hockey style :)

sure it's illegal but....it's so accurate!

I believe you are looking for this website to order it Andy:
http://www.pendulumgolf.com.au/

and for Jono's awesome style:
http://www.pendulumgolf.com.au/videos/30FTRENDER1.wmv

Trung
4th November 2004, 11:50 AM
and for Jono's awesome style:
http://www.pendulumgolf.com.au/videos/30FTRENDER1.wmv

doh, I thought Jono drank to much beers the night before #-o

BrisVegas
4th November 2004, 01:08 PM
So I decided to give a try on the Broomstick putter :lol:
Anyone can give a good suggestion?

Bunnings. Or better yet, try Woolworths, might save a few bucks. :wink:

Jarro
4th November 2004, 02:02 PM
:smt017 :smt104
I've got nuthin constructive to add........

My mum said if you dont have anything nice to say....shut the hell up.

smart girl your mum .... :wink:

Iain
4th November 2004, 02:07 PM
Neither does Jarro, but he still posts.... :P :twisted:

Jarro
4th November 2004, 02:08 PM

shudup Unit :P

Iain
4th November 2004, 02:11 PM

shudup Unit :P
:mrgreen: :smt080 :smt116

Flowergirl
4th November 2004, 04:42 PM
Andy. Andy. Andy....don't get sucked into thinking you can buy a game of golf.............stick with the conventional putting - please!!!!! ( Brooms are just so so uncool and are for dickheads! - that's based on scientific fact! - not really - I made that bit up ) :lol:

andylo
4th November 2004, 04:54 PM
Andy. Andy. Andy....don't get sucked into thinking you can buy a game of golf.............stick with the conventional putting - please!!!!! ( Brooms are just so so uncool and are for dickheads! - that's based on scientific fact! - not really - I made that bit up ) :lol:

Wow! That's a bit steep would it? :roll:

No, I am not trying to buy the game... I am not even thinking the broomstick can help to decrease my stroke.

But it just look fun to putt with one :)

I think there are a few more using broomstick here... don't think they have mental problem or stupid. People just choose what works for them (except me... just play around with EVERYTHING I can touch)

Jono
4th November 2004, 07:08 PM
Andylo,

Macca pointed you to the link. ( www.aussiependulum.com or www.pendulumgolf.com.au ) If you want to try sidesaddle, that's the place to go. Bruce is happy to talk to you over the phone about his technique. He has been challenged by numerous PRO golfers in the past, and he has outputted all of them. I don't think many amateurs can boast that kind of accomplishment. His technique is worth looking into. He lives around the Gold Coast area, so you may want to meet up with him if you want a lesson. However, I've heard that his lessons are quite expensive.

I have only been putting this way for less than a month, and I have had mixed results (worst round 28 points, best round 42 points). I am going to stick with it for the rest of the year, and if there's no visible improvement over the conventional style, then I'll go back to the short stick. However, if I'm sinking more putts this way, then I'll keep on putting this way. It's all about YOUR enjoyment of this game. If you enjoy sinking more putts, then use the method that will get you there. If you want to look conventional and cool, then go with the conventional method.

I have tried MANY unconventional methods in golf ... from MOI matched sets to sidesaddle putting. I like to experiment. But that's me. Go with what you feel comfortable with, and what you have FUN with. If your playing mates give you crap for being unconventional, smile back and say "I'm an individual" ... :lol:

that's my 2 cents worth ...

BTW, you can make your own broomstick putter by sticking another shaft into the butt of your existing putter. You'll probably need to add some weight to the head, however.

markTHEblake
4th November 2004, 08:37 PM
Andy.
crosshanded, backhanded, broomstick, belly, centre shaft and Schenectady are all GIMMICKS. Nothing more nothing less.

Putting is the one thing in this game that does not require a correct technique, its just simple handeye co-ordination. Bobby Locke, one of the greatest putters of all time yipped every putt. Check out some video of Arnold Palmer and Gary Player putting, extremely wristy. and none of these guys ever needed a broomstick.

Changing a putting style does nothing but gives the golfer a glimmer of hope, he sinks a putt and all of a sudden he has found the miracle cure - his confidence lifts, and he now believes in himself -- he just doesnt know it.

If a gimmick works for you, thats absolutely fantastic. May be worth trying out some free ones first.

Choppa
4th November 2004, 09:29 PM
I think we need a poll.

Is A-lo's ho'ing good for his game, or detrimental for his game. :?

Just jealous I can't afford to be a ho mate :wink:

McMw
5th November 2004, 12:11 AM
all I can say is....

Don't Knock It, Till You Try It!!!

goughy
5th November 2004, 05:28 AM
About a year ago dave pelz had an article in one of the golf mags testing the different form of putting (convential grip, crosshanded, belly, long, claw etc). Statistically he said that the least accurate form of putting was convential grip, and the most accurate was long. In fact, in subsiquent articles he has said that everyone should try the long putter at some time because they would never go back to convential afterwards.

Now before we get into the whole 'if it's that good why don't more people (pro's) use it' debate. Don't forget that probably the majority of golfers in the world consider it an illegal way to putt. And while it is legal in the rules of golf they have morale issues with it. There is also the image thing of putting with a long putter, you don't see many in our hacker ranks.

It has revolutionised some golfers careers. Where would Bernhard Langer have been without it.

I'm with mcmw on this one. Don't shoot it down until you've tried it. And that dosen't mean 2 swings in the golfworld shop. It would take a period of adjustment.

The main problem I would see with sticking another shaft into the end of the putter to extend it would be shaft flex. I did that to a putter of mine to make a belly putter and it is pretty whippy. In a long putter there would be a lot of flex there, maybe too much. Those longer shafts are much stiffer.

AndyP
5th November 2004, 08:43 AM
My understanding (which is pretty limited) is that the longer putters are harder to control over a longer distance.
Us hackers have a hell of a lot more long putts than pros do, so this is something to keep in mind.

Flowergirl
5th November 2004, 09:07 AM
Oh Andylo........sorry if you think I was really having a go at you - I should have put more :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: in so you knew I wasn't really serious. If you want a broomstick putter - go for it with my blessing :D
( Maybe I could teach you to ride it - I can be such a witch sometimes)

Jarro
5th November 2004, 10:05 AM
Nice backpedal FG...you big girl.
Tell it like it is...he's a goose ! :roll:

we really needed you at the Champs.... they just wasn't enough shit-stirring going on :wink:

Fishman Dan
5th November 2004, 11:33 AM
All fun and games, as long as you don't wear your footy boots on the course :roll:

So Jarro - there was no friendly slide tackling going on at Cooly? Wonder if we'll get away with that at RS... :-k

Jarro
5th November 2004, 12:00 PM
So Jarro - there was no friendly slide tackling going on at Cooly? Wonder if we'll get away with that at RS... :-k

none that i heard of, but i'm sure whoever played with Blakey felt like belting the living snot outta him after 5 holes :x

.. not because he's a nuisance, but because they would have been sick of helping him find all his wayward tee-shots :!:

don't think i'll be attempting any slide tackles on Vegas at RS anyway :shock:

McMw
5th November 2004, 10:56 PM
My understanding (which is pretty limited) is that the longer putters are harder to control over a longer distance.
Us hackers have a hell of a lot more long putts than pros do, so this is something to keep in mind.

it's all abt getting used to it....

in theory, it's actually easier with the broomie when facing with a medium to long putt...
reason is that your posture is upright, rather than hunched over with the conventional putter, and therefore, when looking at the hole, you give yourself a "clearer" view of the track to the hole...