PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Replace driver or reshaft current?

leighthebee
3rd June 2008, 08:36 PM
So I went to the Vic Park DEMO night tonight. Good guys and really helpful.

Tried:

Drivers
Cobra L4V F Diamana S 57 Grams!! Both 9 and 10 degrees
Ping G10 in V2 High Launch and the TFC Stock shaft
Callaway FTi in whatever, pile of poo on a stick

3 Woods
Cobra 3 wood with the Tour AD Graphite Design
Ping G10 4 Wood with TFC stocko

Basically I'm looking for a fairway finding driver. I would like to match the 3 wood, but I loved the G10 4 wood so much it might have to be mixed bag. COuldn't hit the G10. Are Pings still 1/2 inch longer than all the others. This would account for the skying of most of the drives on that puppy. The V2 high launch shaft was nice though, shame about the busy off putting graphics.

Anyway, the Cobra was clearly the standout on the night. Great launch from the club. So I started thinking, its more shaft than head. Am I likely to get similar launch by reshafting the 905R with a Diamana Red Board.

The other question is the F tuned Diamana Red Board for the Cobra is 57 grams, yet their website has them at 63. I know they produce different shafts for different manufactuers. Will their be a huge difference between the shaft in the Cobra and one I got changed into the 905R. And is it even possible as the Titty is bore through.

Thoughts from the guru's appreciated.

I know I like soft tip shafts anyway. Too stiff at the tip and I start feeling like I need to muscle the thing rather than swing it.

LongDownunderGolf
3rd June 2008, 08:41 PM
I suppose it depends upon whether you can get a deal on a good looking head with one of the shafts you like already in it.

As for the bore through in the Titty, not a major issue, but none the less I still avoid them as a builder. Never seem to get them quite right.

markTHEblake
3rd June 2008, 09:00 PM
Virge seems to have a pretty good idea for a fairway finding driver. something like a 12-13deg driver head and stiffer heavier shaft, with some lead tape around the bottom of the grip or something unorthodox like that.

leighthebee
3rd June 2008, 09:05 PM
heh mtb. i use an 11.5degree 905R with Speeder.

leighthebee
3rd June 2008, 09:07 PM
I suppose it depends upon whether you can get a deal on a good looking head with one of the shafts you like already in it.

dollars not a huge issue, but i really like the teardop 905R. just the shaft feels too stiff

LongDownunderGolf
3rd June 2008, 09:21 PM
Ahhh, the Titleist teardrop effect.

You either love em, or you hate em, got it.

I'm certain someone can help you out with a good reshaft then as I don't know of too many other modern heads with the teardrop going on.

leighthebee
3rd June 2008, 09:24 PM
they had the D2? is it there tonight. Just didn't look as nice when gloss black rather than the metallic grey they've used for years. the 905R for me in the perfect looking head.

but i couldn't argue with the shape off the cobra l4v.

i could do without the sound though.

goonie
3rd June 2008, 10:26 PM
the titty speeder is a med/stiff tip shaft that ways 78g in a stiff, maybe you should see if you can have a hit of a 905R or 907D2 with the GD YS6+ shaft. The YS6+ is a 64g med tip shaft, which might be more to your liking. If you like the head you could always try some other clubs just to test the shafts. But you may have to be careful with reshafting the Titty because of the long tip section needed and the alloy hosel. Make sure they know what they are doing, and have done Titty's before. GCI are good.

Another driver you might like the look of is the TM R5 N, it has a square to open face, a standard hosel depth which makes it easy to resahft, and you can remove the weights to make it like a TP. and you can pick them up cheap.

Jarro
4th June 2008, 04:27 AM
So you say you couldn't hit the G10 because the shaft was too long ??

Grip down on it a bit then. Another OzGolf member just purchased a 12* G10 with the stock TFC shaft. It goes great !! Just remember to grip down on it a bit to help get better control.

I'd reconsider the G10 if it was me.

virge666
4th June 2008, 09:08 AM
It is the head - it is always the head... once you find good head - don't go anywhere else.

Ping KEEP making their drivers 46 inches long.... which reduces tthe feel off the club face. a 44.5" G10 with the V2 MOI is a pretty solid driver.

Likewise the new Mizuno has a good shape. and the same deal with the V2 there.

The old Graph blue 65gr or Graph blue tour shafts are also wonderful for some decent feedback and therefore confidence.

The simple logic is - if you want to hit fairways - shorten the bloody shaft. This lowers the swing-weight of the club, gets you closer to the ball and makes it a TON easier to load the shaft.

Unless you a SUPER fit, most people don't have the core strength to load a 46" driver - you look at them on video and instead of their body pivoting - it is couterbalancing the swing.

So instead of the weight shift moving forward - the body is ACTUALLY GOING BACKWARDS !. This is why you see people not following through properly and loosing their footing.

I could spend hours on this - but just for 3, I won't.

GO FOR A SHORTER DRIVER !

Anyone who wants can have a hit of my 44" Nike SQ Tour.

leighthebee
4th June 2008, 07:03 PM
the titty speeder is a med/stiff tip shaft that ways 78g in a stiff, maybe you should see if you can have a hit of a 905R or 907D2 with the GD YS6+ shaft. The YS6+ is a 64g med tip shaft, which might be more to your liking. If you like the head you could always try some other clubs just to test the shafts. But you may have to be careful with reshafting the Titty because of the long tip section needed and the alloy hosel. Make sure they know what they are doing, and have done Titty's before. GCI are good.

Another driver you might like the look of is the TM R5 N, it has a square to open face, a standard hosel depth which makes it easy to resahft, and you can remove the weights to make it like a TP. and you can pick them up cheap.

Yeah I hit a D2 with with the YS6. Felt too stiff.

Yeah I've had good service from GCI in the past.

The R5. Haven't had much to do with Taylor drivers. I'll see whats around, although the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking of reshafting the Titty. I love the profile and the shape.

leighthebee
4th June 2008, 07:19 PM
So you say you couldn't hit the G10 because the shaft was too long ??

Grip down on it a bit then. Another OzGolf member just purchased a 12* G10 with the stock TFC shaft. It goes great !! Just remember to grip down on it a bit to help get better control.

I'd reconsider the G10 if it was me.

Yep. Too long by about an inch. Gripping down defeats the purpose in my book. Not doubting the greatness of the G Series, but the TFC does nothing for me.

leighthebee
4th June 2008, 07:24 PM
It is the head - it is always the head... once you find good head - don't go anywhere else.

Ping KEEP making their drivers 46 inches long.... which reduces tthe feel off the club face. a 44.5" G10 with the V2 MOI is a pretty solid driver.

Likewise the new Mizuno has a good shape. and the same deal with the V2 there.

The old Graph blue 65gr or Graph blue tour shafts are also wonderful for some decent feedback and therefore confidence.

The simple logic is - if you want to hit fairways - shorten the bloody shaft. This lowers the swing-weight of the club, gets you closer to the ball and makes it a TON easier to load the shaft.

Unless you a SUPER fit, most people don't have the core strength to load a 46" driver - you look at them on video and instead of their body pivoting - it is couterbalancing the swing.

So instead of the weight shift moving forward - the body is ACTUALLY GOING BACKWARDS !. This is why you see people not following through properly and loosing their footing.

I could spend hours on this - but just for 3, I won't.

GO FOR A SHORTER DRIVER !

Anyone who wants can have a hit of my 44" Nike SQ Tour.

Hmmm, that makes a lot sense virge. Gonna reshaft the Titty with a shorter soft tipped shaft.

The V2 high launch felt great. I've never much cared for the standard V2

Courty
4th June 2008, 07:37 PM
I've got a V2 High Launch in x-flex if you're interested. ;)

markTHEblake
4th June 2008, 09:01 PM
anyone who wants can have a hit of my 44" Nike SQ Tour.

Sounds good but isnt 44¨ long?

Mines 44 and I already choke down on it.

LongDownunderGolf
4th June 2008, 09:13 PM
44" nowdays is considered extremely short in terms of off the rack length. Most companies are at 45.5" some are at 46" and I think Adams are at 46.5". Over 90% of the drivers that leave my shop are less than 45", thats the difference a bit between "sales" and "fitting"

Let me have a look there is a UST High launch on the wall in the shop that may be a pullout, I know its an R Flex, but I'm not sure of its that one, or the MOI above it is the pullout. I'll let you know.

PeteyD
4th June 2008, 09:17 PM
To shorten a graphite shaft can you use a pipe cutter like for the steel ones?

LongDownunderGolf
4th June 2008, 09:20 PM
Not really, it will just crush the shaft.

A reasonable cut off saw is the best, or just for a one off, some masking tape (on the bit to be kept) and a fine hacksaw will also work.

PeteyD
4th June 2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks!

LongDownunderGolf
4th June 2008, 09:27 PM
and BE CAREFUL there are a lot of club builders throwing things at me right now, but it does work OK. Its kind of a "practical" measure when all else fails.......especially when your 1000k's from home and need to do a quick fix! Thank god for hairdryers, hotel bathroom doors, hacksaws and hairspray......Golf Club repair travel kit!

virge666
4th June 2008, 10:08 PM
and BE CAREFUL there are a lot of club builders throwing things at me right now, but it does work OK. Its kind of a "practical" measure when all else fails.......especially when your 1000k's from home and need to do a quick fix! Thank god for hairdryers, hotel bathroom doors, hacksaws and hairspray......Golf Club repair travel kit!

Jesus - you are old school. Little story from years ago...

A pro mate and I are heading out westish for a pro am. I have a Snake Eyes putter that I am VERY fond of, and I mean VERY fond of.

I says to my mate - who is in the back seat... "Pete, check out this putter - wouldn't mind it a degree or so flatter, to get my hands a bit more neutral"

I hand the putter to Pete in the back seat, who umms and ahs over it for a few seconds, then opens the car door and slams it against the road while we are doing about 90k's.

He hands it back to me, says "There you go Virge" and waits for me to turn back to my normal colour. Had 23 putts with it for a credible 2 under... stayed in my bag for 3 years untill the car was stolen.

True story.

PeteyD
5th June 2008, 08:03 AM
I am fine with a hacksaw, or a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder. I think the hacksaw for this little operation though.