PDA

View Full Version : Short game Weaponry

chappy1970
2nd June 2008, 09:54 AM
After re-evaluating my poor short game of late, I decided to take a demo wedge out from the pro shop on Saturday. I put a 52 degree black RAC wedge in to play (the original, with the swirled face), it wasn't new, but I would have said 8.5/10.

Well I can say this felt like a match made in heaven from the very start. I have never in my time playing this game picked up a club that felt so easy to hit, with a seemingly perfect weight.

It plays different to the 56 degree TM TP black (obviously with less loft), but the feel of it was night and day.

Any way at the end of the round, the pro agreed to do a straight swap for the TP. I'm not sure who got the better deal, my wedge was probably a little newer, but the original RAC played so solid. I think I won.

Now to replace the 60 TM TP Black with a 58.

I'm even thinking of ditching the Precept PW for a RAC 48 if I can find a decent one.

Chappy

Flowergirl
2nd June 2008, 02:48 PM
How was it so different? Why I ask is that I had a bit of a playing lesson with my pro and he suggested that I use my PW more than my 56 sandy. The PW I have is just the standard one that came with my irons. Always looking for an excuse to buy something new!!!!

SupaSubi
2nd June 2008, 03:23 PM
i love my 52° gappy, pretty much all my approach shots are played with it - from 60-110m.

adams - tom watson :)

chappy1970
2nd June 2008, 03:46 PM
FG, when we play next you can have a go.....difficult to describe the feel, it just seemed to promote a more crisp chip shot and as Subi said from the 60 - 100m range it's almost point and shot.

I think that I only played one full shot into a green with it 110-115mtrs and it came off the club fantastic was a little past the hole and even spun a little out of the light rough. I played 4-5 chip shots and the ball came in medium high and stopped pretty quick. Being comfortable with a wedge and knowing that it will stop gives more confidence to play the shot.

I never really felt comfortable with the TP 56, this club was made for my hands. :)

chappy1970
2nd June 2008, 03:56 PM
Always looking for an excuse to buy something new!!!!

You can buy me a bigger car if you like FG, 3 small kids in mine is gonna be a squeeze :)

virge666
2nd June 2008, 03:56 PM
Bounce angles and sole size is why the difference.

SW are not that nice on a fairway...

chappy1970
2nd June 2008, 03:59 PM
What spread of wedges do you play Virge?

Flowergirl
2nd June 2008, 05:06 PM
I want one.............I want one............:mrgreen:

chappy1970
2nd June 2008, 05:11 PM
You want what, a new wedge, a new car or a new baby?

Courty
2nd June 2008, 09:59 PM
Nice stuff. I have that same setup (48, 52TP, 58TP). Perfect blend of loft/ distance for my game.