PDA

View Full Version : US Election

Fishman Dan
3rd November 2004, 02:38 PM
While the care factor remains minimal, i'm a bit of an election junky. Didn't take 30 minutes to see the trend in the recent election condemn Labor, however the US vote is unfolding and could go down to the wire.

The New York Times has a great site to check it out as it is unfolding.

In brief;

It's first past the post.

There are 538 "votes". Each state is comprised of 'x' number of votes. The first to pick up 270 votes will be the majority holder, and Prez.

This is why all the talk has been about Florida and Ohio, and to a lesser extend Pennsylvania - they contain a large number of votes. They say if either gets both of these states, game over. Currently GWB looks like getting Florida (95% done), and Ohio is on a knife edge. P'vania has gone to Kerry. Kerry has picked up New York and should get California - two big states.

Anyhoo - if you are at all interested, check out the NYT election site(www.nyt.com and click the map) and jump between the Geographical and Electoral views. The electoral view shows the relevance in terms of 'votes'.

GWB has polled about 2 million more times, or about 51% of the total so far, but the west has only just begun to come in. More significantly GWB holds about a 40 vote lead, 173 to 134.

Fishman Dan
3rd November 2004, 03:38 PM
Votes are 224-134. Looking across the map, i make another 28 votes for GWB, to effectively be 252. Add Ohio (20 votes) to that (GWB up by 3%, 80% counted), and we have another 4 years of humerous jokes at the expense of an idiot in charge of the US.

AndyP
3rd November 2004, 04:00 PM
Votes are 224-134. Looking across the map, i make another 28 votes for GWB, to effectively be 252. Add Ohio (20 votes) to that (GWB up by 3%, 80% counted), and we have another 4 years of humerous jokes at the expense of an idiot in charge of the US.
Aren't we going to have that anyway? :mrgreen:

Keep the updates going, Fishy. I don't care enough to look it up myself, but if you are providing them here.....
Are you ready to call it?

3oneday
3rd November 2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks fishy, 2 more days before our exchange rate falls through the floor again. USA Ebay Hos' be warned :wink: .

Pete :lol:

Fishman Dan
3rd November 2004, 04:19 PM
Are you ready to call it?

I'll call it - we've got to put up with this Bush fella for 4 more years.

It will come down to Ohio's 20 votes. We're nearly 80% through the whole gig, and we're down to smaller states other than California. GWB will pick up the redneck states, and Kerry the rest. Probably a margin of under 10 votes.

Ohio is 87% done, and... hold the weddin' - Kerry has taken .3% back from him. In real terms, we're talking Kerry being behind by about under 20 000 votes. That number has come down about 15k in the last 30 minutes.

Other borderline are New Hampshire (east coast), and HOLY CRAP BATMAN! There's 17 votes difference in Iowa... 667 445 for Bush, against 667 428 for Kerry.

Means nothing if GWB takes Ohio though.

Bruce
3rd November 2004, 04:58 PM
Aren't we going to have that anyway? :mrgreen:

John Kerry looks like America's Favourite Game Show host: Guy Smiley

Jarro
3rd November 2004, 05:43 PM
looks like GWB is back in the hotseat for another 4 years :roll:

hope you're wrong about US Ebay pete :wink:

Flowergirl
4th November 2004, 08:09 AM
Be afraid - be very afraid! :smt021

Ona
4th November 2004, 08:27 AM
we did it, hardly surprising that they would too, yet still a damn shame.

Fishman Dan
4th November 2004, 08:53 AM
Ona is right - no real surprise that our bunch of clowns were returned, after all, if it ain't broke. And when you say that, i guess when the economy is apparently strong then no one is going to risk it.

Same but different in the US - their government ran up a massive budget deficit, but other things like security hit a nerve with most American's and they i guess they believe that GWB is doing the right thing.

I was reading the Sydney Morning Herald commentary from readers online, and things like "How can they re-elect this idiot" and "I can't believe American's voted him back in" kept coming up. I think they failed to realise that American's see the world as American's, not like the rest of the world.

That's fine, just not in my backyard.

McMw
4th November 2004, 09:58 AM
I was reading the Sydney Morning Herald commentary from readers online, and things like "How can they re-elect this idiot" and "I can't believe American's voted him back in" kept coming up. I think they failed to realise that American's see the world as American's, not like the rest of the world.

maybe they should look at who their PM is first, before making comments like that online... :wink:

davidp
4th November 2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks fishy, 2 more days before our exchange rate falls through the floor again. USA Ebay Hos' be warned :wink: .

Pete :lol:

Bad news, very, very bad news... :cry: