PDA

View Full Version : Movies - They don't make 'em like they used to

Fishman Dan
3rd November 2004, 08:56 AM
I was awake when the midnight movie started the other night, and The China Syndrome began. Each year you might get Bad Boys or Jerry Maguire played 3 or 4 times, but this midnight fave seems to get a couple of runs per year.

Starring Jack Lemmon as the old nuke power station engineer, Jane Fonda as the TV reporter and (the very young) Michael Douglas as the upshot young cameraman - the latter two are on-site when a near disaster takes place at a nuclear power station.

Perhaps it's just me, but i find that modern movies can't create the right atmosphere, it's all a little plastic in comparison, and the acting isn't as passionate - take the scene back at the TV studio when Fonda and Douglas are meeting with the TV station directors about what they are/aren't allowed to screen.

If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favour and find a copy somewhere, well worth it.

Flowergirl
4th November 2004, 10:24 AM
You are so right there FD. I think the main problem today with movies is that the emphasis is on the special effects instead of the acting, plot, storyline etc.
I would rather see someones reaction to a situation as opposed to seeing New York being bombed, flooded, hit by earthquake, blizzard or anything from outer space that they may care to throw at us.
Give me characters that I believe in and care about anyday.

Ona
4th November 2004, 11:01 AM
I think Ive flicked past that movie on a number of occasions.

the problem with modern movies, is that most of them are made in hollywood :twisted:

Ducky
14th November 2004, 04:06 AM
I happened to catch the last half of that movie. I will never watch it again...

:?

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Fishman Dan
14th November 2004, 09:38 AM
I happened to catch the last half of that movie. I will never watch it again...

Did it give you nightmares? :? :lol:

Ducky
14th November 2004, 06:24 PM
You better believe it, lol.

:wink:

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Jim
26th August 2005, 06:49 PM
Deliverance is another great movie from about that time. Helps me understand the mindset of some of my northern friends. :smt035

terryand
26th August 2005, 06:55 PM
Deliverance is another great movie from about that time.  Helps me understand the mindset of some of my northern friends. :smt035

Jim,that lil fella there has a ge-tar,not a banjo 8)

Terry.

Courty
26th August 2005, 06:56 PM
Deliverance is another great movie from about that time.  Helps me understand the mindset of some of my northern friends. :smt035

Haha, nice one city boy. Hyuk, hyuk. :wink:

Fishman Dan
16th January 2006, 07:43 AM
Sheezus - how time flies. The China Syndrome was on again last night.

Still a stirring movie, the first 15 minutes is fantastic. Not sure about the rest of it, i keep falling asleep. I think i've seen the start about 6 times, and the entire movie once.

BrisWesty
16th January 2006, 10:00 PM
Four word film reviews for Deliverance. For some reason they focus on Ned Beatty.

Tough, ruthless, rough, toothless.
Hayseeds find Beatty bootylicious.
Beatty experiences Southern Discomfort.
Beavers and butt-had.
Smokey And Ass Bandit.
Warn Beatty!
Beatty's only love scene.

Ferrins
4th March 2012, 08:12 PM
Metallica - Some Kind of Monster

Watching this on the ABC tonight, should be good.

oncewasagolfer
4th March 2012, 08:35 PM
Metallica - Some Kind of MonsterWatching this on the ABC tonight, should be good. I think I got the DVD of this with saint anger

Bruce
4th March 2012, 09:12 PM
The Magnificent Seven is on fox classics right now.

jaybam
4th March 2012, 09:46 PM
Metallica - Some Kind of MonsterWatching this on the ABC tonight, should be good. Is a good watch.

IamViva
4th March 2012, 10:59 PM
Metallica - Some Kind of Monster

Watching this on the ABC tonight, should be good.
saw this awhile ago.
dave mustaine crying like a little b*tch was too much for me and my perception of lars ulrich was confirmed :p

PeteyD
5th March 2012, 05:00 PM
Watched the last half or so. Weird watching bob play the bass lines.

dave1
5th March 2012, 06:24 PM
Mad Max

All the stunts were real.

No cgi

Some of the best cinematic driving scenes ever made!

Mad max 3 beyond thunderdome was a flop however

Ferrins
4th May 2012, 05:15 PM
Animal house kicks the more modern offering of this genre.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u48PvBTl3u8

Webster
4th May 2012, 08:30 PM
Alien is about to start on ONE. Great flick, although they will ruin it with a million ads.

PeteyD
4th May 2012, 08:35 PM
Kills the suspense which is so much of that film.

Eag's
4th May 2012, 08:36 PM
My favourite movie of all time, I have seen Aliens at least 100 times 8)

Ashes
4th May 2012, 08:36 PM
Just watched Wake in Fright. Not what I was expecting but still good. The Birds is still a favourite of mine, scared me stupid as a young kid.

Eag's
4th May 2012, 08:43 PM
Bugger, I didn't read Jack's post clearly, it's Alien not Aliens :(

Webster
4th May 2012, 08:45 PM
Jeez it was made in 1979 - 33 years ago!

oncewasagolfer
4th May 2012, 08:52 PM
Aliens is the best of the trilogy awesome flick. Think I saw somewhere there is a new one in the works.

Webster
4th May 2012, 08:55 PM
They made four of them oncewas. The fourth one was rubbish.

I rate the original and sequel on par. Both superb. The third one was good, but not in their class.

hardboiled
4th May 2012, 08:56 PM
Aliens is the best of the trilogy awesome flick. Think I saw somewhere there is a new one in the works.

Prometheus?

Eag's
4th May 2012, 09:26 PM

I rate the original and sequel on par. Both superb. The third one was good, but not in their class.

Spot on Jack.

Muscles
4th May 2012, 09:56 PM
Is a good watch.

Yep alot of fun. Pearl Jams twenty is also worth a look.

Terminator. Classic!!

oncewasagolfer
4th May 2012, 11:12 PM
They made four of them oncewas. The fourth one was rubbish. I rate the original and sequel on par. Both superb. The third one was good, but not in their class.Yes I have seen all the movies and the last one was pretty ordinary. I remember hiring Terminator 2 when it first came to VHS, watched it then rewound the tape and watched it again)

oncewasagolfer
4th May 2012, 11:15 PM
Prometheus? Yes that's it.

dave1
4th May 2012, 11:53 PM
Loved older films - stunts were real

Gallipoli
Mad max 1 & 2
First blood (rambo)
Misery
Forrest gump
Some of my favorites

markTHEblake
5th May 2012, 05:08 AM
Sid James, carry on camping, bloody brilliant. Possibly their best.

Dotty
5th May 2012, 06:59 AM
Loved older films - stunts were real

Gallipoli
Mad max 1 & 2
First blood (rambo)
Misery
Forrest gump
Some of my favorites
WTF. The movie prided itself on using CGI to put Tom Hanks in historical news footage.

sms316
5th May 2012, 07:09 AM
WTF. The movie prided itself on using CGI to put Tom Hanks in historical news footage. Could have been a typo. Maybe he was thinking of Forrest Hump.

PeteyD
5th May 2012, 07:18 AM
Didn't that one use CGI enhancements?

sms316
5th May 2012, 07:40 AM
Didn't that one use CGI enhancements? No. I believe all special effects were produced by hand.

Eldrick
5th May 2012, 03:04 PM
Back to the future marathon on foxtel at the moment

Yossarian
5th May 2012, 03:09 PM
Real stunts = Jackie Chan.

goughy
6th May 2012, 06:44 AM

The first two were brilliant. The third and fourth were unnecessary cash in's. It didn't need to go any further after 2.

The brilliance of how the first two worked together, is in reality they are totally different films. Yes, they both contain suspense and horror to their own degrees, the first really is just a pure terror/suspense film, where the baddy is only really seen in the last few seconds of the film. The second is an action flick. Yet they work together so well. The second is just a great elevation of tension from the first between the antagonists, with a simple, yet one of the great movie lines of all time.

Daves
6th May 2012, 06:00 PM
Have you seen either of the Alien vs Predator spin offs.

Webster
6th May 2012, 06:04 PM
Seen them both - quite average. The first Predator was pretty good though.

If you want to see a good alien suspense thriller/horror get hold of The Thing from the 80's, it's outstanding.

sms316
6th May 2012, 06:11 PM
Seen them both - quite average. The first Predator was pretty good though. It did have Jesse "The Body" Ventura in it so it couldn't fail. Same goes for The Running Man.

Muscles
6th May 2012, 06:37 PM
Total Recall was a bit of fun too.

mike
8th May 2012, 11:16 AM
The Exorcist. By far the scariest movie I've ever seen.

Goldy
8th May 2012, 11:50 AM
Mike - have you seen the modified version - complete with spiderwalk down the stairs....fantastic.

mike
8th May 2012, 12:58 PM
I've only seen the original movie once. Freaked me out.

Goldy
8th May 2012, 02:00 PM
Get a copy of the updated one - all the original freaky stuff, and a bit more.

Great book also, btw.

TheNuclearOne
8th May 2012, 06:09 PM
State of Play tonight on 7two looks ok.

Ashes
10th May 2012, 09:51 PM
Just finished watching The Hustler and The Color of Money. Great movies - just wish I had a pool table (not to mention somewhere to put it).

Webster
16th September 2012, 09:14 PM
Tyson doco starts on SBS tonite at 9.30. It is really good.

TR66
16th September 2012, 09:29 PM
You can't handle the tooth!