PDA

View Full Version : Custom Built or Off the rack???

simmsy
31st May 2008, 10:20 PM
I was just wanting to get some peoples opinions on what the best option would be for a new set of irons.

I am tossing up whether to buy a set of irons off the shelf (Ping G5/G10) and get the lie angle sorted to suit my game

or...

go to a shop that custom builds a set of sticks with his gear, not using your top name brands but all the weights and lengths are built to my needs.

What does everyone think??

Brand name is not important to me, quality in the end result is what I am after.

Cheers

Simmsy...

markTHEblake
31st May 2008, 10:32 PM
Brand name is not important to me, quality in the end result is what I am after.

Then its a no brainer then isnt it :smt023

goughy
1st June 2008, 06:38 AM
If you want the Pings, go to a ping fitter. Preferably one that uses a range or something to see you hit them. Wouldn't cost any extra to have fitted pings over straight off the shelf. That's what they do.

3oneday
1st June 2008, 06:56 AM
It could depend on what club maker you go to, but it's probably the best option.

leighthebee
1st June 2008, 07:51 AM
Pings are Ping for a reason. Get Pings.

They will look the same in 10 years time

Gianni_x85
1st June 2008, 09:03 AM
Go to a custom club fitter. I have a set of KZG forged irons made up for me nearly 3 years ago and i wouldn't use anything else. Were abouts do you live? Because i could recommend you someone on the Gold Coast if you live here.

Johnny Canuck
1st June 2008, 10:37 AM
I use Taylor 300's simply because I love the iron, but I would also recommend getting properly fitted if I were you. Just make sure you go to a decent clubfitter.

simmsy
1st June 2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for all the info there.
I live in Perth, does anyone know of a decent club fitter around the Perth area??

markTHEblake
1st June 2008, 01:02 PM
Because i could recommend you someone on the Gold Coast if you live here.

I have heard good things about Jeremy but with Gary Calder:GCI being so close - I guess its like if you had a choice between a 4 or 5 star hotel at the same price you would choose the 5.

and besides, I went to see Jeremy 2 weeks ago cos I heard he has a bending machine that works with putters and the doors were locked. No "back in 2 mins" notice either?