PDA

View Full Version : The Memorial

ddasey
31st May 2008, 12:59 PM
Was just flicking through the leaderboard on PGATour.com, good to see another Aussie leading after the first 2 rounds (Matthew Goggin).

I was looking at his stats for the first 2 rounds, 22 putts total for the 1st round with only 9 on the back 9 :shock:.

Backed it up with 23 putts for round 2. :smt038

Man I wish I could putt like this .

gazgolf1
1st June 2008, 10:12 AM
Go Matty....8 under after the 3rd round.

10am start for me tomorrow so I get to watch the final round. :)

Jarro
1st June 2008, 01:54 PM
He's looking the goods so far, let's hope he doesn't continue the Aussie choking tradition :roll:

amanda
1st June 2008, 02:03 PM
jarro - I was watching live here and he went from a decent lead to 1 shot (-9) at the time. ogilvy was choking a little too!

mike
1st June 2008, 11:25 PM
He's looking the goods so far, let's hope he doesn't continue the Aussie choking tradition :roll:

I was hoping for Goggin's sake nobody would start this thread .

Goggin has been given the Ozgolf kiss of death.

3oneday
2nd June 2008, 08:21 AM
Well experts, did he choke ? :p

He only broke 70 in the first round, was he really that much of a chance to kick on ? Still a good finish dollar wise 8)

moree golfer
2nd June 2008, 08:26 AM
3OD I will say I am no expert but I wouldn't call it a choke. If he led for the whole front nine and let it go with silly shots it's a choke. Very respectable finish I thought although I am sure he would be disappointed he couldn't go all the way.

gazgolf1
2nd June 2008, 08:40 AM
Apparently on one of the par 5's he layed up into the piss so obviously he was nervous.

4 bogies early in the final round put paid to his chances,imagine if those bogies were pars.

miro
2nd June 2008, 08:46 AM
Absolutely it rates as a choke -started leading by 3 and lost by 2. Sorry a 5 shot turn around is a choke. But then Goggin does this sort of thing all the time. He has been top 10 virtually every week after the first or second round lately an then falls apart. Unfortunately he simply isn't good enough at this level.

PeteyD
2nd June 2008, 09:07 AM
Not good enough to win I guess, but he is still earning good $$.

miro
2nd June 2008, 10:07 AM
And certainly no where near as big a choke as our own K Webb this morning which as a choke was absolutely dwarfed by Sopie Gustafen who droped 8 shots in the second half of her round to lose by 2.

3oneday
2nd June 2008, 10:58 AM
I heard she got beat in a playoff, she was 6 behind at the start of play ! Maybe she was in shock for actually being there :lol:

miro
2nd June 2008, 11:57 AM
She missed a putt that was about 1 inch long on the first playoff hole to take it to another hole.

The only reason she caught up was Gustafsens enormous melt down. Gustafsen started birdie birdie to get to 20 under -the playoff was at 14 under. She then dropped a lazy 9 shots after the first two holes with 8 of those going in the last 11 holes. Now that is choke!

Boonie
2nd June 2008, 04:42 PM
On a more positive note, I stayed up and watched Scotty Strange (who was an AIS member at K.Heath) win the Wales Open with a sensational bogey-free 64.

He was leading by 3 after 3 rounds like Goggin, but he just came out and hit every fairway and every green for the first 15 holes, it was very impressive. Karlsson went a bit nuts in the middle of the round but Scott just kept hitting pure shots and ended up shooting -22 for the week and was leading through all 4 rounds.

PeteyD
3rd June 2008, 08:52 AM
Nice win!

Courty
3rd June 2008, 06:26 PM
Here's (http://thesandtrap.com/tours/pga/2008_memorial_in_photos) a photo gallery from the Memorial. Some good pics, too.