PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Launch Angle Monitor

Ona
2nd November 2004, 10:36 PM
I'm gonna try this out, or at least thats what I'm telling myself. Maybe someone else will want to as well. It's a cut and paste job and too lazy to convert to metric.

The formula is based how high a golf ball strikes an object from 8'.
1-Tee your golf ball and determine the height of the center of the ball from the ground.
The distance from the center of the ball to the ground can vary on a golfers tee height preference and this has a determining factor on the correct launch angle calculations.

2-Place an object exactly 8' from the ball, the object can be (A) a
cardboard box 12" wide x 36" high or (B) two 2"x2" stakes 48" high, three feet > apart, with a string across the top so that you can hang a news paper sheet or butcher > paper onto. This can secured by cloth pins or clips.

3-Draw vertical lines starting at 17" , 20", 24" and 27.5" plus the
height of > the center of the ball from the ground. Example; When you tee the ball and the distance of the center of the ball to the ground is 2" , add this to 17" and begin the vertical line at 19".

If you do not want to draw lines, after you hit, measure the distance
from the ground to where the ball penetrated. Add the center of ball height to ground.

If the penetration is 26" and the center of the ball to the ground is 2",
your launch angle is 14 degrees. Ball spin will effect the launch angle but not a great amount.

The ball will penetrate the object and the launch angle can easily be
determined. This height penetration will determine the launch angle of the ball.

17" plus the center ball height distance will be a launch angle of 10 degrees.
20" plus the center ball height distance will be a launch angle of 12
degrees.
24" plus the center ball height distance will be a launch angle of 14
degrees.
27.5" plus the center ball height distance will be a launch angle of 16
degrees.

The object has to be 8 feet. Any other distances will effect this
formula.

Eag's
2nd November 2004, 11:48 PM
Damn! after reading that I have a headache :smt009 :smt101
Sounds a bit to complicated to me :smt017

Jono
3rd November 2004, 06:11 AM
Damn! after reading that I have a headache :smt009 :smt101
Sounds a bit to complicated to me :smt017

I am with you Eags ... I fell asleep during my trigonometry class as well ... :wink:

Jarro
3rd November 2004, 06:36 AM
why wouldn't you just find a real launchy somewhere near you, and go and get tested out properly :?

there's plenty of them out there :)

Fishman Dan
3rd November 2004, 07:42 AM
Is this what Brett Ogle was trying in that infamous Aussie Open incident? My advice is don't use a tree or a wall 8' away 8)

Jarro
3rd November 2004, 08:17 AM
Is this what Brett Ogle was trying in that infamous Aussie Open incident? My advice is don't use a tree or a wall 8' away 8)

good advice Fishy 8)

Ogle was lucky the pill came back on hit him in the knee, not somewhere else :roll: :lol:

AndyP
3rd November 2004, 08:28 AM
I don't know of any parks where I could pull out the driver to try this.
And you'd look like an idiot doing it at a range.

It's all good in theory though. ;)

markTHEblake
3rd November 2004, 09:40 AM
I will just go out the back yard, spray some black stuff on the golf ball and hit it at the sheets the missus has hung out on the line.

andylo
3rd November 2004, 11:26 AM
Yeah, but how to test the spin rate? :)

AndyP
3rd November 2004, 12:53 PM
Yeah, but how to test the spin rate? :)
Put a Black line on your ball, and count how many times you see that black line rotate from the moment you hit it, until it hits the cardboard = revolutions. Also keep an eye on the time that this takes = minutes.

From these two variables you should be able to calculate your revolutions per minute, that is, spin rate. :wink: :roll: :lol:

BrisVegas
3rd November 2004, 12:57 PM
Andylo - Don't listen to AndyP. You are the...

OZGolf Championship 2004 NTP Winner

...and nobody can take that away from you until the 2005 champs!!! 8)

Choppa
3rd November 2004, 01:06 PM
Andylo - Don't listen to AndyP. You are the...

OZGolf Championship 2004 NTP Winner

...and nobody can take that away from you until the 2005 champs!!! 8)

That's right. Where's Andylo's "offical" ozgolf NTP winner sig?

macleod
3rd November 2004, 01:30 PM
you could just buy this from the wishon lineup:

Launch Angle Gauge

Knowing the real launch angle of any golfer is a critical piece of information that can help clubmakers select the best loft and shaft flex for maximum carry distance for the golfer. Designed for use with only a hitting net and hitting mat, the launch angle gauge is hung 20" from the hitting mat level and 9 feet in front of the tee. Coat the golf ball with cornstarch, hit into the gauge and note the real launch angle for any wood and most irons from the ball mark on the grid. Launch angle adjustments are included for different teeing heights to further ensure accuracy for golfers with different tee height preferences when they play. It is constructed from tough nylon reinforced tarp material and comes with hanging line.
Item #: W8190LAG

although it lacks the joy of making your own i guess :smt069

davidp
3rd November 2004, 02:06 PM
Nice one onabreak. Have to say though that a Launch Monitor session only costs $40 and saves you a whole lot of headache.

Btw, I loved trigonometry. What's really fascinating is 3-D trig... :P

Ona
3rd November 2004, 04:03 PM
yes of course a session would be best.

but launch angle, being the most important factor, is something I may like to check more regularly, and if I demo a club for a couple of days this would be very handy. You have to be near the extremes in spin for that to have a significant impact on distance (IMO), and I think you can tell whether thats you simply by looking at your ball flight. If you want that extra 10%, then a session is a must. (thats me)

anyway this is free, easy and for me at least, do-able.

macleod
3rd November 2004, 04:07 PM
check the cost of these with Ludwig at www.clubmate-golf.com.au , the wishon sheet is more permanent and diehard ;)