PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing May 26th

Jarro
28th May 2008, 12:40 PM
35 points around Nudgee today with the big hairy bloke.

Gaz was kind enough to loan me his R7TP irons for a hit and they were really nice 8-)

Hit the ball OK, but couldn't make a putt to save my life ... i reckon i had about 5 or 6 just skim over the edge of the hole :mad:

8 fwys
5 G.I.R's
3/10 up&downs :oops:
32 putts.

haysey
29th May 2008, 01:38 PM
Played Tully golf course on tuesday 27th for 88 nett 78, par 73.

Smashed down rain all day, but if you want to golf in the wettest town in the country I suppose you have to accept it

Flowergirl
29th May 2008, 02:02 PM
Second round of the club champs yesterday and I played like a chump:evil: Crap crap crap. The greens were deadly fast and the greenkeepers must have had a great laugh when they placed the pins out - they were in amazing places. A little tap and the ball would roll off the green. No one had a good round - oh except for the most unpopular lady in the club but luckily she played like crap last week.
A very dismal 97 - nett 81. I'm going out next week for some revenge and hopefully get runner up. First place is out of reach as is the nett.
The pressure must have got to me cos I just couldn't get my act together at all. I was so uptight and made the fatal mistake of thinking. :smt108

Julie
29th May 2008, 02:33 PM
You can do it Flowergirl, hang in there.

Grunt
29th May 2008, 03:04 PM
Played New Brighton this morning with Griffo (member here but does not post)
Was a very up & down day. Some good holes some poor ones. Still getting used to the new clubs, par 3's are really tough at the moment.

Gross 93
Nett 75
33 points
6/13 Fairways
4 GIR
36 putts :( was some very long 1st putts, 60+ feet
1/7 Up & Downs
0/4 Sand Saves

Playing tomorrow @ Dunheved with Andrew.

3oneday
29th May 2008, 03:27 PM
They are bugger of greens to putt on from distance, sounds like a good round really.

Where was the pin on 17 ? Stoopidest green I reckon I have played on when they are short.

Grunt
29th May 2008, 03:32 PM
They are bugger of greens to putt on from distance, sounds like a good round really.

Where was the pin on 17 ? Stoopidest green I reckon I have played on when they are short.

Round was ok just had some really stupid shots, played pretty well yes.
Was about halfway down on the right hand side. I was pin high just off the green right. I had to chip away from the pin to end up below it. Pin was just on the front of the green for 11, I was up the back, 3 putt bogie :(

Grunt
30th May 2008, 02:43 PM
Played Dunheved GC this morning with Andrew. Was not a good day, I must have stepped on a black cat as I carried my clubs to Andrew's car as I was a golfer with no luck. Did not really swing well but was not as bad as the score indicates.

One thing I did notice was the hybrid is going well and I think the 4W has seen better days. Now to decide if the 2 i-wood will make a comeback or I will work the bottom end of the bag. Short game really sucks at the moment and with the new irons I have a gap from AW to SW. AW is 49* and SW is 56*. I hit a few 3i hybrids over 180m today, is there any need to hit it further? I only hit Driver 210 on average.

Game Stats

Gross 100
Nett 82
26 points
34 putts (3x 3 putts, 5x 1 putt)
6 Fairways
3 GIR
3 Pars:)
5 Doubles:neutral:
7 Triples:(
3 Wipes:smt087
1/9 Up & Downs (short game really sucks:-k)
0/3 Sand Saves

Next game: Maybe next Sunday or Monday.

Jarro
30th May 2008, 03:00 PM
Oh nice, thanks for the invite :roll:

PeteyD
30th May 2008, 03:06 PM
You talking like Alo now.

Grunt
30th May 2008, 03:08 PM
Where is ALo?

kev
30th May 2008, 05:55 PM
Kingston Links today - first round of the Herald Sun Challenge. I'm entered in the social section which can be a lottery at times.

92 gross / 69 nett
40 points
33 putts (3 x 1 putts, no 3 putts :) )
10 Fairways
5 GIR
1 Birdie (the 9th)
6 Pars
5 Bogies
3 Doubles
3 "others" :oops:
2 Wipes
0/1 Sand Saves

First round with the Sonartecs, and I could not hit the 3 Wood for love or money - cost me 3 lost balls (two on the 6th and one on the 13th). The 5 Wood though was sweet.

Teed up lower with the driver today and it worked wonders! I guess I lost 20 to 40m in distance, but being on the fairway is a much better situation :lol:

Shot of the day for me was a 7 iron from 140 out on the 15th. It looked brilliant straight away, and as it started arcing down my eyes were flicking rapidly between the ball and the pin and I swear I held my breath the entire time. Landed 10cm right of the flag, pin high, checked and rolled out 2m - I then ruined it by 2 putting...

The strange thing about the day was I thought I was doing terribly. I didn't add anything up along the way. The 3 lost balls and triple/quad bogies had me convinced my score was horrendous. Talk about not focusing on the birdies and pars, but just the bad things :-k

End result was I beat my opponent by 20 strokes after the 5 worst holes were taken off, so I'm a very happy vegemite this evening.

Grunt
30th May 2008, 06:14 PM
Congrats Kev. Sounds like a fun event for us hackers.

kev
30th May 2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks Grunt. You can get some bandits in there at times who have no official handicap, but when talking to them you find out they play off 8 to 12! Luck of the draw sometimes.

Here's (https://www.clubsonline.com.au/eventsregform/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_event&eventid=501&orgid=1643) last years blurb. There's supposed to be news and updates on the Herald Sun's website, but I haven't bothered looking for it yet.

Grunt
30th May 2008, 07:42 PM
Played Dunheved GC this morning with Andrew. Was not a good day, I must have stepped on a black cat as I carried my clubs to Andrew's car as I was a golfer with no luck. Did not really swing well but was not as bad as the score indicates.

One thing I did notice was the hybrid is going well and I think the 4W has seen better days. Now to decide if the 2 i-wood will make a comeback or I will work the bottom end of the bag. Short game really sucks at the moment and with the new irons I have a gap from AW to SW. AW is 49* and SW is 56*. I hit a few 3i hybrids over 180m today, is there any need to hit it further? I only hit Driver 210 on average.

Game Stats

Gross 100
Nett 82
26 points
34 putts (3x 3 putts, 5x 1 putt)
6 Fairways
3 GIR
3 Pars:)
5 Doubles:neutral:
7 Triples:(
3 Wipes:smt087
1/9 Up & Downs (short game really sucks:-k)
0/3 Sand Saves

Next game: Maybe next Sunday or Monday.

Forgot to add my unusual shot, in a hazard my ball ended up resting against stubbie. The next shot meant hitting the stubbie first then the ball. I got it clean, glass shattered everywhere, but I got the ball onto the green only to 3 putt for a point.

PeteyD
30th May 2008, 08:34 PM
You know you can take a drop out of a hazard, without risking life and limb.

markTHEblake
30th May 2008, 09:04 PM
Pretty sure there is a rule somewhere about man made objects in hazards, you might have been gypped Grant.

Grunt
30th May 2008, 09:07 PM
Pretty sure there is a rule somewhere about man made objects in hazards, you might have been gypped Grant. I thought the same Mark but the guy was adamant. I was very determined to get up and down, pity I stuffed up the putt. I was going to take some glory if the putt dropped. it did not miss by much, Andrew can back me up, I called it to break but it broke a little too much and missed.

3oneday
30th May 2008, 09:10 PM
MTB is right yet again, I just can't remember whether you can move the object or drop away from it without penalty.

Grunt
30th May 2008, 09:14 PM
I thought you could but the guy kept saying it is ahazard and you cant touch anything. I was thinking anything man made in a hazard should not be there.

3oneday
30th May 2008, 09:27 PM
An Obstruction is anything artificial...

24-1 Movable Obstruction.
a. If the ball does not lie in or on the obstruction, the obstruction may be removed. If the ball moves, it shall be replaced, and there is no penalty provided that the movement of the ball is directly blah blah...

markTHEblake
30th May 2008, 09:29 PM
I just can't remember whether you can move the object or drop away from it without penalty.

hint: try to move it, if you cant its immovable.:razz:

3oneday
30th May 2008, 09:32 PM
Even Grunt can lift a bottle ?

:lol:

Grunt
30th May 2008, 09:35 PM
Even Grunt can lift a bottle ?

:lol:
It felt better smashing it and getting on the green. Even I was impressed with the shot.

AndyP
30th May 2008, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't call it an unusual shot, I'd call it bloody moronic. Who in there right mind hits a bottle with a golf club, unless they carry around protective clothing in their golf bag?

Grunt, you seem to be bullied over rules by other players. Why not back yourself and do what you believe is right? You're the one that has to sign the card at the end of the day.

3oneday
30th May 2008, 09:56 PM
You're the one that has to sign the card at the end of the day.but so does the guy who is saying no :lol:

jaybam
30th May 2008, 09:59 PM
Was watching the golf show on fox a little while ago and a similar sort of thing came up but in regards to in bunkers. A guy had left an apple core in the bunker and according to Ozzie Moore you arent allowed releif. You had to play it as it lies. Which he them demonstrated quite well. Probably a bit like your bottle shot. Why you would attempt it i dont know but well done anyway :)

Courty
30th May 2008, 10:05 PM
Grunt, next time you have a rules issue, ring Blakey on his mobile. ;)

mike
30th May 2008, 11:10 PM
Grunt, get yourself a rules book.

9 golflink entries in May for Grunt . Can anybody beat that ?

swanny
31st May 2008, 01:10 AM
guys ,

You may take relief by moving the object even pieces of concrete can be removed according to the latest golf Mag i picked up at drummond this week.

Bruce
31st May 2008, 05:32 AM
Rule 24-1b appears to cover your situation Grunt.

If the ball lies in or on the obstruction, the ball may be lifted and the obstruction removed. The ball must through the green or in a hazard be dropped, or on the putting green be placed, as near as possible to the spot directly under the place where the ball lay in or on the obstruction, but not nearer the hole.

shazza_rs
31st May 2008, 04:18 PM
3rd round club champs - Toowoomba (Middle Ridge) - 31/5/08
-----------------------------------------------------------
90/79 (48/42)
9/14 Fairways
6 GIR
20/15 = 35 putts

I was happy to keep it under 100 after the first nine (back nine played first). I don't know what it is about that nine but i seem to play the front nine much better. Greens had been aerated and not mowed. Couldn't get my head around it for the first nine so kept leaving everything short. Finally sorted it out on the second nine. Think i 3 putted every GIR. ARGHHH!!!

Way out of contention after my blowout in the 2nd round. 23 shots off gross and 14 off nett.

jaybam
31st May 2008, 04:31 PM
Bad luck Shazza but am surprised to hear they do that sort of work on the greens during club champs. And not mowing them is worse. Better luck next year :)

jimandr
31st May 2008, 04:35 PM
It is perhaps an indicator of how badly I am playing that I'm not too disappointed with my 30 points today. I hit the ball OK, but four 3putts in the first eight holes killed my score. I only missed three fairways, but had to chip out each time.

Fairways = 11 of 14
Greens in reg = 8 of 18
Up&Down = 2 of 7
Sand Saves = 0 of 2

AndyP
31st May 2008, 06:12 PM
30 points!! Way to go, Jim!!!!!. :D :p

BrisWesty
31st May 2008, 07:40 PM
36 points in very heavy conditions at Caboolture. Carts had been banned for the day.

Shaneo
31st May 2008, 08:03 PM
played southern today

f/ways - 9/14
greens - 14/18
putts - 29
birdeis - 3
bogeys - 2

stableford - 38 points
hit the ball pretty good after the 5th hole, i was trying to smack the crap out of the ball the first 5 holes.
got my rhythm back on the 6th tee and never looked back, 2 over for the first 5 and 3 under for the 13 so i am happy
yet again missed 4-5 VERY make-able putts, i can't wait for the round when they all fall.

Scottt
31st May 2008, 08:05 PM
9 golflink entries in May for Grunt . Can anybody beat that ?

Not quite. Nearly, but not quite.

EDIT, only four on there now, but today not on yet, a foursomes comp not on there, obviously, and a card from a non-golflink course to come back.

Still, having looked at his 12 month number, the man clearly has an understanding missus.

Scottt
31st May 2008, 08:09 PM
Had +8 (38pts) at Bardwell today.

+2 the front and +6 the back.

Positives:

Only one one-pointer.
11 GIR
No double bogeys or worse.

Negatives:

37 putts.
1/7 up and downs.

Courty
31st May 2008, 09:05 PM
I had 38pts with a wipe today (78 gross). Should have been netter except for the wipe on the hardest hole.

Ball-striking was the best in ages, and putting was very crisp too.

Edit: I see Haysey had 40pts too. Well done, big guy. 8)

haysey
1st June 2008, 03:42 AM
Thanks Courty, I did what you said and didn't write my score down immediately after each hole. Seemed to help the brain not melt down:mrgreen:.

That 40 points was with three 1 pointers as well.

Got cut .8 to come in to 9.5. My lowest handicap ever:D

Scottt
1st June 2008, 07:35 AM
Great stuff Haysey. You're on the cusp of something pretty satisfying and rewarding.

I also did alright coming in (re: our losing it 'cause we're mentally weak thread).

11 points the last six, but no massive brain fades, which is nice!

Bruce
1st June 2008, 09:09 AM
Played with Shavey and a friend of his down at Moonah Open on another perfect Autumn day in Melbourne. Shavey talked me out of entering the comp.

Played OK on the front nine but did fade a bit after the BEST. SAND SAVE. EVER! to have 17 points and 46 off the bat. Then played some of the best golf of my life on the back 9 to have 39 off the bat and 24 points.

85 gross. 7 pars and 1 birdie. No wipes. 3 over for the back nine = Very Happy Bruce :)

Now let me digress and tell you the tale of the BEST. SAND SAVE. EVER!
On the par 3 5th I pushed my tee shot into the far right bunker. One of Thomson's super penal pots. The closer I got, the worse it looked and I was presented with about 10 ft of bunker face topped by another 5 ft of mount to get at the green. I was cramped for room in both stance and swing by the back lip of the bunker. I thought I would be very happy if I was putting with my next shot.
So I made sure I was out and did consider myself to have done well as I was, indeed, putting for par. From about 25m away. As I surveyed my options I said that "if I make this putt it will be the best sand save ever."
Taking into account a couple of breaks and the curvature of the earth I sent it on its' way with the new Marxman (thanks Peter) and it tracked, tracked, tracked along to hit the hole in the heart, give a little bobble, and drop.
Shavey dropped the flag and Shavey's mate nearly fell over as I raised my arms in triumph shouting "BEST. SAND SAVE! EVER!"

Are we allowed to write short stories in these threads?

Shavey had a rollercoaster day and I'll let him report his own successes.

haysey
1st June 2008, 09:26 AM
Great stuff Haysey. You're on the cusp of something pretty satisfying and rewarding.

I also did alright coming in (re: our losing it 'cause we're mentally weak thread).

11 points the last six, but no massive brain fades, which is nice!

Cheers Scottt,

Well done to yourself, Courty and Bruce too.

Re: The single figures nightmare.I've got half my brain going, to easy, romp it in to single figures next weekend, the other half is going, mate, your going to chop 7 kinds of shit out of it and rack up a 100.

You know you don't have it mentally when your mates all call you "jigsaw" (the crumble under pressure thing).

BrisVegas
1st June 2008, 09:50 AM
Good stuff Bruce. I bet you were pumped!

Dazza
1st June 2008, 10:28 AM
Monthly medal today, went out and shot 47 off the stick for 9 holes. 20 Putts (2 more than last week)
Driving improved out of sight. The 3DX really knows how to find the fairway.
Chipped well, need to work on my longrange putting.
Fiancee played her second game today. Newly adjusted clubs, 1” shorter.
She’s consistent! Shot 71 off the stick again, and reduced her putts to 21 (Down from 27).
Played some nice wedge shots, and sunk some medium range putts as well.

Needs to focus on keeping her ball on the fairway, as the rough doesn’t do her any favours.
Still I'm so proud, considering everything she has to contend with.

kev
1st June 2008, 02:53 PM
Nicely done Bruce! The handicap must be screaming down.

shavey
1st June 2008, 06:20 PM
Now let me digress and tell you the tale of the BEST. SAND SAVE. EVER!

Boys, this will be doing the rounds for ages as it was well and truly awesome.

To escape from the bunker was one thing but then to keep it on the green was another... but to roll the rock from (what will become after a few drinks) the Legends course, was truly amazing... Very happy for Brucey on the day, he played some very good golf.

I on the other hand struggled a little with the driver but the greens is where I was dominated. The greens were schmick and rolling truly but like my previous round, I shaved (pardon the pun) the hole on at least ten makeable putts. But to be putting for eagle on the second from about 40 feet uphill and walk off with a bogey, doesn't bode well for the confidence. I'm a little lost if it's a misread issue or technique but I'll probably drop them all next round so who knows.

Somehow managed to finish the round like my life depended on it with a par, eagle two!! (five pointer), par birdie finish for 35 points with a few wipes. So, so overall but the course (from the whites) was there for the taking, the weather conditions were almost QLD like :)

Bruce
1st June 2008, 06:42 PM
Shavey really did come home with a wet sail. 12 points on the last 3 holes was outstanding.

16 was a clinic where he drove over the hill on the corner to setup a 100m in and then a well played wedge that must have fed off a slope and into the hole. It's a shame we didn't see it drop as we spent a few moments wondering where the hell the ball was as we couldn't see it. Checking the hole ended our search.

(Just to rub it in - the 2nd was not his only 4 putt)

mike
1st June 2008, 10:18 PM
Re. "Best sand save ever."

It wasn't in a comp so it doesn't count.

swanny
2nd June 2008, 12:53 AM
Christ Bruce i wish we had been playing in a fourball together I think i may be in trouble with the handicapper.

Today i had 24 points on the front nine at Sanctuary Lakes in a fourball we had 26 points combined and i appeared on the card with 8 entries. (3 over off the stick ) We Faded badly on the back for a measly 16 points. Appearing on the card 3 times on the back 16 points is what i would have had for around 40 points individual.

I have a game at Woodlands on tuesday which should be a great day.

shazza_rs
2nd June 2008, 07:17 AM
4th Round Club Champs - Middle Ridge - 1/6/08
---------------------------------------------
82/71 (par 73) (42/40)
10/14 Fairways
7/18 GIR
4/11 U/D
32 Putts

Played pretty solidly all day. Couple of annoying double bogies didnt help the cause. I avenged the 16th hole (par 3) though. Saturday's round i put 2 balls in the water for a nice 7. Sunday i had an easy 3. :)

Was enough to win the daily comp but not good enough to advance me up the leader board. Ended up 6th overall. Not entirely unhappy considering i had a good blow out in the 2nd round.

oz
2nd June 2008, 09:37 AM
32 Points at Albury on Saturday, with a wipe on #1 and a wipe on #10. Played pretty solid apart from 2 pretty crap swings that both cost me dearly.

moree golfer
2nd June 2008, 12:14 PM
Played my first ever Match on Sat in the local Matchplay Knockout comp that runs thru the year. We were playing single stab in the club comp. My front nine was ordinary to say the least due to missing fairways. Then after the halfway turn and a couple of schooners under my belt I played out of my skin on the back nine. The match with my opponent was evenly poised at square and I had 15 pts so far.

On the 10th I hit a good drive and 2nd onto the green and then proceeded to 3 putt for 2 pts and a square in our match. Then things turned around in a big way! Parred 11, 12, 14 and had my opponent dormie on 16 where I won the match 4Up. Then I played the final two holes birdie-par (par3-par5), won the Pro Pin on the 17th (made the birdie putt), won C grade by 4 pts with 40pts, and won the side bet with my cart partners for $10 keno ticket. I ended up shooting 85 off the stick (lowest ever) with 29 putts and no wipes!! I think I was most excited by the 'no wipes' as I have been trying to do that for over a year without success. That round gives me a boost of confidence but I'll probably go and shoot a ton this weekend without thinking. Oh well at least I'll be in Coffs Harbour on the piss all weekend lol!

Courty
2nd June 2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks Courty, I did what you said and didn't write my score down immediately after each hole.

My invoice for the coaching is in the mail. ;)

Got cut .8 to come in to 9.5. My lowest handicap ever:D

Nice work. So you'll be in A grade for the Club Champs which start this coming weekend. :smt023

haysey
3rd June 2008, 05:26 AM
My invoice for the coaching is in the mail. ;)

Nice work. So you'll be in A grade for the Club Champs which start this coming weekend. :smt023

Drinks are on me when we finally meet8).

Unfortunately my parents have chosen this coming weekend for their annual visit

(some drivel about not having seen the grandkids for 12 months) and the wife has banned me from leaving the house:smt013

No clubbies for me:cry:

Courty
3rd June 2008, 06:03 AM
Ouch! :(