PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Cup tips

macleod
1st November 2004, 12:36 PM
cmon g69, pony up the goods!

each year since i was in grade 6 i've sat down and pored over the form guides, selecting 5 horses based on performance and all the other crapola and their purty names. 3 for a win, couple of trifectas and quinellas using place horses.

each year since year 6 (1986 with At Talaq!) i've gotten the winner, so i've done ok but im no g69.

this year i've been slack and not looked at anything....so chuck the tips out. Rich, i prmise we won't dilute the betting pool too much so feel free to share. we won't blame you if they fall over...not like the one incident 5 years ago i hope....

best blunder was last year, accidentally putting in the same quinella twice for a double pay out :lol:

in the office sweep i got 14 Lashed, 7 Razkalla and 11 Roman Arch, and 2 descriptions use the word 'doubt' in each. How's that for making your sweep selections look crap eh?

Fishman Dan
1st November 2004, 12:49 PM
I'm going to struggle to not put money on Makybe Diva - again. Won last year handsomely, and of what i've seen (i.e. not a lot) she's been there or thereabouts in a couple of recent runs (2 x 2nds?).

She's Archie or Vinnie Roe appear to be the popular picks - IF THEY RUN.

3oneday
1st November 2004, 02:00 PM
Worst race of the year to even bother with, 24 starters, about 6 have even run the distance. If it isn't ridden by Boss, Beadman, Oliver, Munce, King, Brown or Nikolic, it probably won't win. Get the pins out !!!!!!

Eag's
1st November 2004, 04:18 PM
I will be having a go at a few roughies myself.
Strasbourg, Winning Belle and Another Warrior :wink:

amanda
1st November 2004, 04:20 PM
I first need to figure out how to place a bet at the TAB :oops: I'm sure I'll pick one with a nice name - I have no idea about horses! I'm sure someone will be able to help me out at the golf club tomorrow (we are playing 8am shotgun 2-person ambrose followed by lunch and the race).

Fishman Dan
1st November 2004, 04:22 PM
I first need to figure out how to place a bet at the TAB :oops: I'm sure I'll pick one with a nice name - I have no idea about horses! I'm sure someone will be able to help me out at the golf club tomorrow (we are playing 8am shotgun 2-person ambrose followed by lunch and the race).

Tomorrow there will be numerous people at TAB's to help you fill in a ticket.

amanda
1st November 2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks Fishy - I tried to go into a TAB once to make a Melb Cup bet - we were at a client in Waterloo - I got scared when I saw lots of guys with tatoos, flannel shirts and handle bar moustaches.

Choppa
1st November 2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks Fishy - I tried to go into a TAB once to make a Melb Cup bet - we were at a client in Waterloo - I got scared when I saw lots of guys with tatoos, flannel shirts and handle bar moustaches.

Don't worry about them Amanda. It's the pretty lookin' ones that you have tp worry about.

Picking a winner in the Cup, or any race for that matter is just way too hard. Go the Sweep. :wink:

gazgolf1
1st November 2004, 08:41 PM
I have not seen a better Melb Cup trial than Makybe Diva's 2nd in the Caulfield Cup in my 12 or so years on the punt.

SPECIAL!!!!! \:D/

That is all.

Onewood
1st November 2004, 08:49 PM
Heres my pick out of the hat bets :D

Trifecta 3,4,6 & 7 $24.00
Each way 3 $20.00 x $20.00
Sweeps $10.00

$74.00 :shock: Thats it for me :D

Sorry no personal loans after the race :wink:

Fishman Dan
2nd November 2004, 11:21 AM
Well i'm in all sorts. Funny how the race that everyone wants to bet on is also possibly the hardest of all to pick.

As much as i am still very much for Makybe Diva, i am hearing good things about Distinction. Vinnie Roe is all set, but it's hard to go with, as well as She's Archie.

I think the special of the day is......

Mystery Trifecta

You heard it first...

macleod
2nd November 2004, 11:37 AM
I think the special of the day is......

Mystery Trifecta

You heard it first...

good call, i got some corkers on the mystery today

vinnie, mummify and pacific dancer
vinnie, elvstroem and grey song

the vinnie roe factor turning up twice means she's going to lose big time! :D and as for rich grey nag...:roll: :D

macleod
2nd November 2004, 02:46 PM
well my winning steak has been broken, i didn't want to believe in the fairy tale, must be getting cynical in my declining years :D :P :D

jeezus, i didn't even to my normal favourites quin...sigh...

BrisVegas
2nd November 2004, 02:52 PM
I have not seen a better Melb Cup trial than Makybe Diva's 2nd in the Caulfield Cup in my 12 or so years on the punt.

SPECIAL!!!!! \:D/

That is all.

Good call Gaz. 8) I went with the mare as well, but it wasn't enough to cover my other "speculations"! Next year, I should just go with one horse and be done with it.

Fishman Dan
2nd November 2004, 02:52 PM
I'm pretty happy to say that i picked the Melbourne Cup Winner - 2nd time in a row.

What i'm not so proud to say is that the rest of Australia also backed it into a $3.50 hole :evil:

Onewood
3rd November 2004, 06:22 PM
Heres my pick out of the hat bets :D

Trifecta 3,4,6 & 7 $24.00
Each way 3 $20.00 x $20.00
Sweeps $10.00

$74.00 :shock: Thats it for me :D

Sorry no personal loans after the race :wink:

Looks like we may have to run the hat around at Northlakes for this unlucky punter :D