PDA

View Full Version : Eastlakes' new 8th and 9th

Scottt
22nd May 2008, 12:42 PM
I read in the other thread that G69's mob built these two holes.

I was wondering, G69, what other work is planned for the course. Having played it three times in recent months I can't get past the fact that those two holes do not "fit" the rest of the course at all.

Is there a plan to rebuild the entire layout in that style, hole by hole? Will it be lengthened?

What was Ross' intention with 8 and 9. They are pretty good holes unto themselves, but they just seem so different from the other 20 holes on the site (including the spare par three on each side).

Mikezone: as a member, what do you think?

Scottt
26th May 2008, 09:05 AM
Bump.

mikezone13
26th May 2008, 11:57 AM
As a member at Eastlake yes there is a plan to rebuild each of the current holes over time (well it's part of the master plan anyway).

The 6th (first hole over the road) and the old 8th have just both been redone... the 6th is now in play while the 8thwill be back in play soon.

The main aim I understand with Eastlake is to try and remove most of the pine trees, because a) they are very thirsty trees and b) they don't look the best. The pines will be replaced by natives is my understanding.

With the work on the bridge over Wentworth Ave in full swing and scheduled for August completion Eastlake is becoming a very good track, although the clubhouse is still an eyesore really.

Scottt
26th May 2008, 12:23 PM
Good to hear 6 is in play again Mike. If you have to climb that ****ing hill you may as well play the hole! And 8 looks good too (I was last there in March).

Agreed that the bridge will be great.

So which hole has dropped out now the 6th is back in? The par three second?

macjackass
26th May 2008, 12:23 PM
Shame about the 6th. It is much easier now.

Grunt
26th May 2008, 06:48 PM
What has changed in the 6th? Or is it just a new green or the like?
Have not played it in a while but am going back with the QANTAS Engineering golf club in a few weeks.

mikezone13
26th May 2008, 07:05 PM
The green has been redone and mvoed back by about 10 yards? Left of the fairway ahs been levelled out, a 'fairway trap' for the big hitters or for dud second shots (it's 40m short right).

The par 3 10th is out now while 6 is back in, 8 should be back ins oon and the green work looks really good and it's definitely a 3 shot hole now *it was nearly always before but a good running 3 wood could get close for 2).

The creek work g69 spoke about is all about bringing the natural creek back, anyone that's played itheir in the wet knows that 12 is often udnerwater so they're trying to route the creek naturally.

Grunt
26th May 2008, 07:07 PM
Will be all the better for it too Mike, as a kid growing up around Eastlake we used to see it flooded over the back there quite a bit.

Grunt
9th June 2008, 09:34 PM
Playing at Eastlake tomorrow, will have a look how the new work has handled the recent rains.

Grunt
10th June 2008, 02:52 PM
Played it today, loved the new 6th, really good hole. Had par so I may be biased. Green was not as hard as it looked and balls stopped well. Tough pin positions look likely, very nice green complex.

8th is a great hole, I never minded the old one. one thing I did notice was the difference in speed of the new and the old greens. New greens seemed way faster.

Water was pooled on the 12th fairway today, reckon the creek would be great routed up the LHS of the fairway and then cutting across at about 150 from the tee towards the ladies tee box on the right. It would not really be in play but would be in the players vision.

Greeny
14th August 2008, 01:42 PM
I agree with you on the 8th. The old one was just fine really and my fav on the course. Possibly still is but they've made it a little easier in my opinion. I think they may have changed it due to the large amount of water pooling in the greenside bunkers.

The new greens are very, very quick at the moment. Mainly due to the fact they haven't had a summer to grow much. They are effectively dormant at the moment and will slow back to a more reasonable speed with time.

They're making some good adjustments to the course in general and the bridge looks great! It's massive!

I still don't understand why they spent heaps of money a year or so ago on replacing the grass in front of the 6th (previously the 7th). The tee is placed really high and if you circus tent a drive 10 metres straight, you don't deserve a good lie.