PDA

View Full Version : Power from the weight shift

virge666
21st May 2008, 08:39 PM
This question to everyone - how does the weight shift, to the right or left contribute power to the golf swing ?

Jono, have you got Jorgenson's explaination at hand ?

SupaSubi
22nd May 2008, 06:52 AM
does it?

i would say it only contributes to putting you in a better position to make a crisp downward contact.

3oneday
22nd May 2008, 06:56 AM
This question to everyone - how does the weight shift, to the right or left contribute power to the golf swing ?

Jono, have you got Jorgenson's explaination at hand ?nicely worded, how did you keep it so short ? :p

When standing over the ball, I pull the trigger.

Next thing I think about is where it is going, after I've hit it.

KISS.

markTHEblake
22nd May 2008, 09:58 AM

I have no idea.

but people like to use the throwing the ball analogy, where you lean back and follow through with your body. Same goes with any action of energy transfer, cricket shots, javelin throws etc.

SupaSubi
22nd May 2008, 10:02 AM
I have no idea.

but people like to use the throwing the ball analogy, where you lean back and follow through with your body. Same goes with any action of energy transfer, cricket shots, javelin throws etc.

i'm not sure if that is entirely correct, since in all thos examples you are transfering energy into translational motion, where as in a golf swing you are ideally transfering energy into a rotational motion (to produce the fastest swing speed).

only at the clubhead/ball interface does the rotational energy become linear.

but hey - i dont have a handicap :twisted:

virge666
22nd May 2008, 10:44 AM
All thos examples you are transfering energy into translational motion, where as in a golf swing you are idealling transfering energy into a rotational motion (to produce the fastest swing speed).

Take a bow. You are da man.

SupaSubi
22nd May 2008, 11:19 AM

where are the smilies?

i can't tell if you are being serious or not :razz:

Jono
22nd May 2008, 05:50 PM

Exactly what was it that he said that you thought so insightful?

i'm not sure if that is entirely correct, since in all thos examples you are transfering energy into translational motion, where as in a golf swing you are ideally transfering energy into a rotational motion (to produce the fastest swing speed).

Can you explain to me what a "translational motion" is? Do you mean linear motion?

I don't think that's a very good way of looking at it.

There's nothing special about the golf swing that separates it from other throwing/hitting sports. Blakey is right. It IS like throwing. There IS transference of energy.

Have a look at the topic of "kinetic linking". If you google that term, you can find information on it.

Golf swing is simply performed with a big stick (ie. a big lever) hence the rotational motion is seen very easily. However, ANY throwing/hitting motion is done in a rotational motion.

3oneday
22nd May 2008, 06:18 PM
:roll:

I'm starting a poll to get you two banned :p

perci
22nd May 2008, 06:21 PM
Calling Alo!

Grunt
22nd May 2008, 07:11 PM
Yeah where is Alo, thought he would be all over this. He is very quiet lately.

virge666
22nd May 2008, 10:11 PM
where are the smilies?

i can't tell if you are being serious or not :razz:

Sorry - - -

:smt038:smt038:smt038:smt038:smt038

The fact that it is a rotational movement of the clubhead means that moving the center of that roatation backwards and forwards doesn't always help . . . it can, but not always.

It is a lot like throwing, discus was always my favourite analogy and also javilin. But the fact we are bent over at the waste on an "Inclined plane" gets us in trouble.

The left side of the body gets in the way unlike most other sports.

Jono - what does Jorgenson have on the subject ?

Jono
22nd May 2008, 10:31 PM
Jono - what does Jorgenson have on the subject ?

Jorgenson used strobe photography to plot the swing of a pro player. He then basically simplified the golf swing to a two lever model. He used energy system equations to calculate the torques involved to match the model to the pro's swing.

He found that when he added some lateral shift to the model, the corresponding points almost perfectly matched the pro's swing.

Of course, using ONE pro's swing only has its limitations ...

He then went onto show how a lateral shift can help with the rotational motion IF it is done correctly. I'd have to draw some diagrams to show this. (next time)

He then calculated how much more clubhead speed he got with the weight shift model compared to the no weight shift model.

The fact that it is a rotational movement of the clubhead means that moving the center of that roatation backwards and forwards doesn't always help . . . it can, but not always.

So when can it help? I'd be interested to hear your ideas on this.

virge666
23rd May 2008, 08:13 AM
He found that when he added some lateral shift to the model, the corresponding points almost perfectly matched the pro's swing.

Where and When was the lateral shift in his study ? I am guessing it is the startdown of the downswing.

Come back to this - I think these are related. TGM called it a flywheel effect - may not be TGM - could be Medicus, Chuck Evans or Yoda. But TGM related. Hula Hula was another analogy referrign to Nicklaus' left leg rotating back to the target.

virge666
13th June 2008, 09:22 PM

For mine it is the initial move down. The small weight shift to start the downswing creates a little bit of torque and loads the arms and shaft that bit more.

After that initial point - trying to keep the centre solid and stable so that the arms can move as quickly as possible without moving the bottom of the swing arc.

Hence the reason I think that a shift of weight backwards is a crap description. I would people learn to load up the right leg them shift or bump or squat some weight on the downswing to create some torque in the upper body.

This way works for most swing models - whether you hit or swing.

Enjoy

v205
14th June 2008, 08:21 AM
I use to think the lower body weight shift was for power.. but these days.. I think it's more of a neccessity for good lower body balance from the upper body power generation. So the weight shift is more of a final result of a good shot rather than a precursor to the resulting of a good shot.

A lot of golf instruction has that problem from frame-by-frame checkpoint as it does not explain why something gets into that position other than try to get into that position (which can often be done in the wrong way to achieve the point-in-time result).

A slightly flexed knee seems to work well through out the swing without going into too much detail.

Just my thoughts.

A recent revelation: Keeping working on getting comfortable with how you choose to line up to the ball from looking at the shot from behind to ball to ready to hit the shot and still feel comfortable with the alignment. I never felt comfortable until I decided on which eye I wanted to use for the whole process.

Jono
17th June 2008, 10:29 PM
For mine it is the initial move down. The small weight shift to start the downswing creates a little bit of torque and loads the arms and shaft that bit more.

What do you mean by "torque" in this case?