PDA

View Full Version : Ozgolf Championship Results

goughy
31st October 2004, 12:35 PM
OK everyone. I knew some of you would be hanging out to hear what is happening today. Jarro has just sms'ed me the results from the morning round.

DougK (0) will only play the PM round....
Jarro (12) 32
AndyP (14) 30
Choppa (20) 36

Tez (5) 29
Gaz (10) 37
Eags (15) 30
Kee (27) 19

Blakey (5) 32
Jono (10) 34
Macleod (15) 30
Andylo (27) 23

Vegas (6) 30
Nudgee (10) 27
Iain (16) 37
Damo (25) 34

Senecio (10) 28
Trung (9) 35
Drunken (19) 27
brooky17(17) 42!! Looks like we have a clubhouse leader. A lot of catchup work to be done.

davidp
31st October 2004, 12:55 PM
brooky17(17) 42!! Looks like we have a clubhouse leader. A lot of catchup work to be done.

Someone's being spending some quality time at the range!! :)

McMw
31st October 2004, 01:20 PM
apart from Trung - dissapointing scores by the single hcp players... :lol:

*that should get them going* :wink:

goughy
31st October 2004, 01:37 PM
apart from Trung - dissapointing scores by the single hcp players... :lol:

*that should get them going* :wink:

Pitty none of them will get a chance to read your words of encouragement before the second round :P

Ona
31st October 2004, 01:47 PM
ave. score: 31

=D> =D> =D>

hope it was a good walk.. coz it was definitely a long one :twisted:

good stuff brooky!

McMw
31st October 2004, 01:47 PM
u could sms them....
but looking at the time now, they're probably done with their 2nd round as well.... :lol:

goughy
31st October 2004, 02:01 PM
u could sms them....
but looking at the time now, they're probably done with their 2nd round as well.... :lol:

But that would have cost me like - 25c :lol:

Different course for the 2nd 18 so who knows what could happen.

markTHEblake
31st October 2004, 08:05 PM
There were definitely some remarkable scores and achievements in the second round.

To Summarise

Winner: Iain
Gross: GazGolf
NTP: AndyLo
Long Drive: Dion

Scores listed here in Championship order (nett)

http://img52.exs.cx/img52/407/ozgolfscores.jpg

goughy
31st October 2004, 08:14 PM
Woo Hoo Iain, gaz, andylo and bris. Well done guys.

Looks like the second 18 was a bitch eh!

How was the day guys. Enquiring minds want to know.

Jarro
31st October 2004, 08:21 PM
How was the day guys. Enquiring minds want to know.

for me, it was a loooooong day :roll: left home at 3:30am this morning, and walked in my door 20 minutes ago ....... 300Kms :!:

the courses themselves were great, particularly the river course (west course)

all in all i think everyone had a great day, should be some nice pic's posted eventually. thanks everyone that helped arrange things for the day.. it all went well 8)

bring on next year :lol:

Eag's
31st October 2004, 08:28 PM
Wow :shock: what a bloody long day.
I feel like a 100 year old man :smt104
My shot making was disgracefull, the only thing I saw that was worse was that blokes rug on the dancefloor at the bowls club.

Thanks one and all for a top weekend :wink:
AndyP for doing all the running around and organising :smt023 Jono & Trung for making the trip up, Tez for lending me his shoes Sat night and Nudgee for letting me try out some new equipment, thanks mate :D

Well done Iain, good playing today mate. =D>
Congrats Gaz for the gross winner :smt038

Anyways off to bed for me, talk to you guys again soon.

Iain
31st October 2004, 08:59 PM
Wow :shock: what a bloody long day.
You can say that again Eag's, I'm knackered..... :smt015

That's guys rug at the bowl's club was hilarious :smt043

And Macca's worms.... :smt106 (He'll be banned from Sizzler soon....)

The golf was ok, for the first 18 anyway, hit some of the best drives in that 18, The Package was all over the shop and Iron Byron (Dion) was having an off day, but they had nuttin' anyway.... :wink:

Two Putt (Damo) showed us how to hit you're first putt 4m short and then just knock in the 2nd, time after time after time..... :?

The 2nd 18 was a shambles (I let Brooky17 tell about his adventure) in the last group with Gaz (knock it up the middle and on for two all day), Choppa and Brooky17, I thought it was all over when on the 14th Par 5, had a 4 footer or so for an eagle to peg back Gaz by 3 shots, and I 3 putt it for a Par..... :oops: But I hit some good drives, not as many as the first 18, but ok.... :roll:

The River course was definatley harder/tighter than the west, as well as some B#@ch pin postitions and damn fast greens made for a few 3 putts....

A big thanks to G69 for the inital organisation, AndyP for taking over after G69 piked on us, Goughy/Clikchic/Jarro for the shirts, Blakey for the POTY prizes, and finally Flowergirl for the lovely flowers that I recieved (With the naughty note that Jarro missed!! :-$ :wink: :smt112 ).....

Iain

PS - To Trung, I have both 3am starts and 2am finishes in the next few weeks, so don't be suprised to get a few calls, one each for everyone that got one at 3am this morning...... :evil: :x

McMw
31st October 2004, 10:29 PM
I'm confused....what were you guys playing??? stroke or stableford???

Ona
31st October 2004, 10:34 PM
good stuff Iain =D> to be fair tho it's not like the competition was tuff :twisted:

Where's Brooky17? :smt064

davidp
31st October 2004, 10:54 PM
Sounds like the wind got to people on the River course.

How did people play the "chute" hole? (The 12th hole - par 4, about 340 m in length.) If the wind is blowing across the hole it plays like an absolute bi#$h.

nudgee
1st November 2004, 07:02 AM
what a b$%ch of a day. First round really set the scene for me for the day - played an absolute shocker - first four drivers found four fairwways but unfortunately for me not ours!!! Our group was just in awe of Iains striking power :shock: and we called his victory very early in the piece although from the second round scores there seemed to be a bit of choking going on.

The driver and putter (not me of course) misbehaved badly in the first round. A quick change of both for the second round and thankfully at least the driver behaved (except for the two OBs). Boy the river course was tight but I must say I enjoyed it better - maybe coz I didnt sux like in the first round!!

Anyway a big thanks for the organisers as the day went smoothly and I think we all had a great day - a long one but a good one.

On a final note I blame my poor form on the day to two things:

that friggin guys rug at the Bowls club - it gave me nightmares all night and Trung waking us up at 3:30 am could not get back to sleep - Trung revenger will happen :twisted: !!!!!!

AndyP
1st November 2004, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the day, everyone. In fact, thanks for the weekend. It was a blast. :D

Congratulations to Iain on his dual titles, and well done to Gaz on best gross, as well. =D>
Great drive, Vegas, and nice pin shot, Andylo. Make sure you give us the full details of that shot, Andy. :smt023

One award that wasn't mentioned was the illustrious wooden spoon. Hope your golf didn't spoil your day, Kee. Hide that spoon in a cupboard, and enjoy those quality :wink: Dunlop Black Max balls.

Thanks also go for the other prize donations.
Thankyou FG, Jono, Blakey, and prmeier. 8)

Thanks Trung for the early morning phone call. :smt093 :smt116 :smt098

As for my golf, wasn't too good, wasn't too bad. I could rarely string a few good shots in a row. :smt102
Wind didn't really get up too much, but it didn't stop the courses from playing tough.
And can you imagine the CCR from our comp. :roll:

Although I didn't find it physically tiring, I was well and truly drained by the end of the weekend (still haven't worked out if I am going to work today :-k ). But it was worth it. :D

Time to start preparing for the 2005 OZgolf.net Championships. :roll: 8)

Flowergirl
1st November 2004, 08:05 AM
(as posted on previous thread)......Fantastic effort Iain - looks like you played great golf. Bad luck to all you losers :wink:
Glad that you all had a great time........hope to join you all next year.

( and the note with the flowers wasn't really naughty- I said I would send the winner flowers :wink: )

Still want to know what happened to you know who's monster choke!
Where are all the photos???????????

Kee
1st November 2004, 08:08 AM
Thanks all for a great and long day. I'm still knackered this morning at work, and there is a few looming deadlines today. Should be an interesting caffeine fuelled day.

I'm going to have to find a place in the study room to mount the wooden spoon. And the Dunlops will be in play hopefully this week.

It was a beautiful day and both courses were very nice. But I enjoyed the West course more for obvious reasons. I had the privilege of playing with Gaz, Eags, Tez, Drunken, OzMcLeod, and Senecio. Thanks guys for the rounds.

Thanks Andyp, G69, and Marktheblake for organizing the day. It went smoothly and I had a great time. Well done Iain for taking the champs, and BrisVegas and Andylo for the long drive and NTP respectively. Finally, thanks DougK for the tips and encouragement.

BrisVegas
1st November 2004, 08:14 AM
On a final note I blame my poor form on the day to two things:

that friggin guys rug at the Bowls club - it gave me nightmares all night and Trung waking us up at 3:30 am could not get back to sleep - Trung revenge will happen :twisted: !!!!!!

Trung.... if I were you, I'd be a bit concerned about having nudgee plotting revenge against me.... :shock: :shock:

drunken
1st November 2004, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys for a great time :D I think I'll have to try and make the effort to get to a few OZGolf days in Brisbane.

Although my golfing wasn't the greatest my day was made when I scored a nice Birdie on the 8th of the River Course.

Speaking of Trung just be glad you didn't have to sleep in the same room as the guy who didn't sleep ALL night....

Trung
1st November 2004, 09:01 AM
Trungie's Report.

Jono & I arrived at Coolangatta Airport on time at 6.30pm. Richard (Eag's) was there with the limo waiting. Thank you Richard. :smt023
We drove back to the motel and I shared a room with Drunken.

We all left for the bowling club for dinner. After dinner & a few drinks, we headed back to the motel.

My bed was so soft, it felt more like a waterbed. :smt102 After a while, Drunken & I decided to call it a night around midnight. Drunken got a few hours of bed time. I couldn't sleep and was up all night. :smt102
Iain (the champ) handed me some cash and a list of phone numbers. He said, "you know what to do"... :smt077 :twisted:

Damo, Drunken & I left with Richard for breakie in the morning. Due to the amount of U-turns Richard had to do (without power steering), we wrote him off for the title even before we got to the course. :-#

1st 18s
Played with Brooky, Senecio & Drunken.
Brooky - 42 points (with a wipe on the 18). Sensational striker of the ball for a 17HCPer. Hehe. Good all round short game. Par 3s destroyer. =D>
Senecio started well but lost his way from the tee on the back 9.
Drunken couldn't control his right to left tee shots.
I started slow, was 4 down after 5 holes and got back to even after 14 and then dropped a shot from a 3-putt. :smt011

Lunch.
I think everyone had a go at Brooky for his 42 points. :smt038

2nd 18s
Played with Jarro, Jono & Damo.
I went for the green in 2 and found the water on the right. Damn. First 4 holes score were (7,6,8,7). So it was good bye to Trung. :smt090 :smt102
Had 8 on the short par 3 3rd hole (120m).... :smt102

Jono.. was a bit sick after 1 beer from the night before. :smt017 Drove the ball well, could have been anything if he kept it together for 18 holes.
Jarro.. Whats doing with the 2-iron? :smt019 :smt110
Damo.. Very conservative with tee shots. Take whats needed to get to the corner of doglegs. Nothing more, nothing less. Should be able to improve on his HCP soon. :smt109

Congrats to IAIN, :smt109 :smt031 :smt023 :smt029 =D>
Thanks to Jarro for the trip back to the airport. :mrgreen:
Thank you for everyone for turning up. =D> I had a great time. See you all again soon. :mrgreen:

drunken
1st November 2004, 09:13 AM
Trungie's Report.

Damo, Jono & I left with Richard for breakie in the morning. Due to the amount of U-turns Richard had to do (without power steering), we wrote him off for the title even before we got to the course. :-#

Mate I know I do a good impersonation but I think I deserve a medal for that one....either that or your lack of sleep the night before got the better of you :?

Choppa
1st November 2004, 09:26 AM
Oh it was a great day.

The river course had to be my favourite. Beautiful weather, great company, good test of golf, the beautiful sounds of nature and the melodic sounds of 3 mobile (Gaz, Iain and Brooky) phones ringing, no singing, as we made our way around the course.

Just beautiful :lol:

I think the ho's choice this weekend was the MOBILE PHONE! :wink:

Trung
1st November 2004, 09:35 AM
Duncan, sorry mate :oops:

Jarro
1st November 2004, 09:41 AM
next champs i think we need to enforce the "no mobile phone" rule :roll:

just be thankfull you guys didn't get the phone call as early as i did ... 2bloodythirty :evil:

great day, sorry i missed the granny convention at the bowls club :roll: maybe next time.

thanks to Ozmacleod for not eating the lovely flowers FG donated to the winner..

Kee, don't hang that spoon on your wall mate, i'm sure someone will take it off your hands REAL soon :wink:

.. and thanks to all my playing partners for being so understanding and patient :oops:

AndyP
1st November 2004, 09:59 AM
Kee, don't hang that spoon on your wall mate, i'm sure someone will take it off your hands REAL soon :wink:
Actually, he gets to keep that one. Especially made for the 2004 Champs wooden spooner. :lol:

... and thanks to all my playing partners for being so understanding and patient :oops:
I never recovered after playing with you in the first round. :x :P

Thanks to my playing partners Jarro, Choppa, Blakey, Vegas and Eag's for the day.

Jarro
1st November 2004, 10:08 AM
and finally Flowergirl for the lovely flowers that I recieved (With the naughty note that Jarro missed!! :-$ :wink: :smt112 ).....

don't worry, i saw it (thanks AndyP :wink: )

Choppa
1st November 2004, 10:18 AM
great day, sorry i missed the granny convention at the bowls club :roll: maybe next time.

You also missed Trung picking up the waitress AND her daughter.... No wonder he couldn't sleep :wink: :lol:

Trung
1st November 2004, 10:19 AM
just be thankfull you guys didn't get the phone call as early as i did ... 2bloodythirty :evil:
I sent ya a txt at 2.30 mate. I spoke to you around 4am :wink:

Jarro
1st November 2004, 10:30 AM
I sent ya a txt at 2.30 mate. I spoke to you around 4am :wink:

still woke me up :lol:

bet you slept well last night :smt015

andylo
1st November 2004, 10:31 AM
Andy Lo's Report

The day is so enjoyable and I have experienced another (difficult) course I never played. I Love It.

I thought I have bought my A game to the course but I was wrong, screwed up my 1st tee shot in the 1st 18 (lucky noone is watching) and my driver is generally not working for me. Time to time I will have a good shot when everything is connected but it's quire rare.

1st 18
Playing with Ozmacloed, Jono and MTB. As I said I screwed my tee shot badly after seeing MTB, Jono hit their gigantic drive (I was so supprised how well an aging body :lol: and outdated, fairway wood size Callaway driver works) I belt one up and top the ball 50 meters to the left!! :oops: But Scotty gave me (endless) encourgment so I start picking up the game bit by bit.

The 1st course is quite hard and I only hitted 2 drives that it playable... :( during the 18 I ask Macca is it the hard course or easy course and he told me I was playing the easy one... OMG!!!

Highlight of first 18
The only one I did well is at 11 after a short break, hit a drive good enough but landed right hand side rough, then excuted my favourite Maxfli shot and (with luck) faded onto the green. (Then withnese Jono hit his skip water shot!! WOW :shock: ) and I pared the hole. Yeah.

2nd 18
Playing with Nudgee, DougK and Tez. I think we are the shotgun group. On the 1st par 5 I just realised it's a crazy dog left to right and I was shocked :shock: Tez, and Doug hit their tee shot good, Nudgee hit a OK shot and then it's my turn... ohoh.... intentionally teeing the ball a bit higher in case I duff it in front of all OZG fellas then I pull the darn ball to the left!! LOL :lol: then a 8 iron to back to the fairway, a pure 3 iron hit that hit the freaking branch, and a pure 6 iron shot to the green beautifully... played boggy. I thought my game is coming back but HAHA.... not really.

After another few hit I lost my good feel and I start screwing everything up again. But thankfully to DougK he gave me endless tips and quick lessons to save the rest of the day. I hit more pure shot then I should.

Highlight of 2nd 18
Bad one 1st... scored 12 and 10 on a par 3 in the middle and the finally hole... thanks to the kindness of Nudgee thu (or else it will be 24 and 20). I trapped in bunker and I hit ENDLESS bunker shot without having the ball escape from the trap. Especially the last hole even I was hitting it out it rolls to another bunker and I just realised that no matter when I hit I am surrounded by bunkers!!!!!!!!!! :evil: At the end I ask Tez and DougK very loudly (but not rude) who the f*** designed the course :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now the Good one!! Nearest To Pin award :D
With all the frustration I had I really finding a way to connect everything together. But seeing DougK hit a well hit onto the green, Tez hit a very good shot just short of the green, Nudgee UNLEASHED a pure hit and landed so close to the pin (and we all cheering)... I was so nervous.

So I told myself, "yeah, what the hell :)"... had I few practise swing, find the feeling and smack the ball with 7 iron... it goes high, landed pretty soft on the green but I can't hit where I hit exactly.

So then Tez and Nudgee drive off to go for a drink and me a DougK go to the green and he kindly offered me a swing lesson. And after everybody is back we just realise the ball is the closest to the PIN :shock: and Tez said this is the hole we play the NTP :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: WOW!

Nudgee kindly helped me to pin the card to the ground and I keep trying to implement what DougK taught me in the rest of the round.

When I finished 17 we meet MTB's team and MTB told me jarro just token the award from me! :lol: I thought "good on him, I don't deserve it anyway for how bad I play" :lol:

When the game is finish I go to jarro and congrat him for that and he told me he hitted it close but not as close as I did so I should still be in the award.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The moment when AndyP announced my name I was REALLY REALLY very HAPPY!! The 1st real award in my golf career :D

Conclusion:
I enjoyed the day so much and thanks to
Scotty's endless encourgment
DougK's tips, lesson, especially the time (like 30 mins at least) he spent on me taught me how to hit bunker shot.
AndyP and MTB to organising the event.
EVERYBODY else that I played and not played with.

Trung
1st November 2004, 10:37 AM
You also missed Trung picking up the waitress AND her daughter.... No wonder he couldn't sleep :wink: :lol:

:oops: maybe :oops:

amanda
1st November 2004, 10:56 AM
Andylo - great report! I can't wait to meet you on Saturday at Nambour :D

Choppa
1st November 2004, 11:17 AM
Hey guys, I haven't heard the results of Jono's (it was jono wasn't it) new putting style.

Any comments? How many putts did he have?

Fishman Dan
1st November 2004, 11:22 AM
How close was this NTP though?

Iain
1st November 2004, 11:29 AM

It was about 1-2 foot wasn't it??? I was too busy figuring how to get my putt to stop within 5 foot.....

Choppa
1st November 2004, 11:51 AM

It was about 1-2 foot wasn't it??? I was too busy figuring how to get my putt to stop within 5 foot.....

I was a great NTP. Couldn't have been more than 18 inches.

Sorry A-Lo but we were surprised to see it was your name over some of the low markers :wink:

Iain
1st November 2004, 11:54 AM

I was a great NTP. Couldn't have been more than 18 inches.

Sorry A-Lo but we were surprised to see it was your name over some of the low markers :wink:

No doubt about it, a great shot!!! :wink: 8)

Jarro
1st November 2004, 12:09 PM
i think it was actually more like 3-4 feet. a great shot indeed.

i know because he ONLY JUST beat my tee-shot :wink:

Fishman Dan
1st November 2004, 12:41 PM

Not that you're bitter or anything :roll: :P

Choppa
1st November 2004, 12:50 PM

Nah, it couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 inches at most. :shock:

While we're at it did you see Vegas' monster drive on the 18th. At least 340 meters, probably closer to 360 meters....HUGE

Trung
1st November 2004, 12:57 PM
While we're at it did you see Vegas' monster drive on the 18th. At least 340 meters, probably closer to 360 meters....HUGE

It was around 260m into the wind, I had the yardage book with me. :wink:

BrisVegas
1st November 2004, 01:09 PM

Geez, way to rain on my parade Trungy. :roll:

Should have seen the next shot from 230m when I attempted to get home in 2 for the fans..... :lol: :lol: Cold-topped 3 wood about 100 metres. Ended up having a 3rd shot of 140 metres... It just wasn't happening yesterday. Noticed in Macca's pics that on my opening tee shot I had my weight on the back foot. Probably explains the dozen or so pull-hooks I hit :x :roll: :cry:

Trung
1st November 2004, 01:18 PM
18th on the River Course is a 486m Par 5.

260m drive left you with around 230m is correct :wink: .

BrisVegas
1st November 2004, 01:23 PM
18th on the River Course is a 486m Par 5.

260m drive left you with around 230m is correct :wink: .

Not sure, couldn't be buggered looking for a sprinkler head.... If you say so! It looked a long way away, but remotely possible. Also, I noticed there was a few people sitting next to the green, so figured I'd give them a bit of a thrill... If only.... :wink:

Jarro
1st November 2004, 01:45 PM
Also, I noticed there was a few people sitting next to the green, so figured I'd give them a bit of a thrill... If only.... :wink:

we were in desperate need of a thrill by that stage :roll:

gotta say how impressed i was with the river course ... what a little gem 8) also have to say the bent greens on our first 18 were a lot slower than the last time we played there :?

Jarro
1st November 2004, 02:07 PM
some of the bunkers were very penal, almost impossible to hit the ball towards the flag at all... particularly on the 17th.. poor old Damo came unstuck in one of those nasty bunkers.

I thought the greens on the river course were fantastic :D finding a G.I.R did in no way mean you were assured of getting your par. some of the pin placements on the day were savage too.. pins cut on the side of slopes and the like.. made for a bad putters nightmare :lol:

not for me, i sunk 'em all :wink:

davidp
1st November 2004, 02:52 PM
From the few times I played there, the River course struck me as a ballstriker's course. ie. it rewards precise tee shots and well placed 2nd shots. Because of the slope of the greens, and yes, some of them are 2 and even 3 steppes, if you are in the wrong part of the green, you are praying to ONLY 3 putt it.

jarro's right, it is a little gem of a course that comes up and bites you bigtime, if you're not hitting the pill well.

This coming from a 22 handicapper, that refused to pick up his sticks for 2 months after playing there... :oops:

BrisVegas
1st November 2004, 03:16 PM
Some interesting stats...

Only 4 players improved their morning scores:
Nudgee 92-86
Drunken 100-96
MacLeod 93-92
Vegas 84-83

The other 15 players shot on average 10.8 worse in the afternoon.

Biggest improver was Nudgee, picking up 6 shots 92-86.
Biggest slide was brooky17, shooting 35 shots worse 83-118.

The only player to break 80 all day was gazgolf1 with a fine 78 in the morning.

The average gross score for the morning round was 89.7. Afternoon round average was 97.6.

Onewood
1st November 2004, 09:29 PM
Congrats Iain 8) :P Can't hold us Logan boys down :D

Side note: how did you go with the bunkers :wink:

Congrats to you to Gaz :P 78's a great score down there 8)

Iain
1st November 2004, 11:11 PM
Congrats Iain 8) :P Can't hold us Logan boys down :D

Side note: how did you go with the bunkers :wink:

Congrats to you to Gaz :P 78's a great score down there 8)

Thanks Kev :wink: , didn't have any drama's with the bunkers, only got into a couple of them, but hit some nice shots out to a resonable postition to try and get the save.

Iain

Jono
2nd November 2004, 12:00 AM
Jono's review

Not sure which thread to put this, but here goes.

I just got back to Sydney this evening (Monday). Thanks to all the QLD boys for welcoming Trung and myself to your neighbourhood, and thanks Eags for the lift in the "mobile" ... they don't build cars like that anymore, do they? :wink:

The golf, I think everyone would agree, was less than spectacular. However, we had a great time. In hindsight, I should have tried to get some more rest before setting off for the event ... Worked till midnight on Friday, slept about 5 hours, and slept total of about 4 hours on Saturday (thanks to "the call" from Trung :evil: ). Being enzyme deficient, drinking alcoholic beverage is always a challenge for me, and downing 4 beers Saturday night (not one, Trung ... :roll: ) was recipe for impending disaster ... :lol:

OK, all excuses aside, I kept myself in the hunt with 34 points in the morning round. Drove the ball pretty well all day, but iron play and putting left a lot to be desired. Got a few weird looks with my new putting style, and the ever-curious Andylo had a go with my sidesaddler. When he proclaimed that he was going to get one too, Blakey was quick to retort, "Only crazy people do that sort of thing" ... :? :lol:

Morning round was played in overcast conditions, with rain threatening but never eventuating. The new Ozgolf shirt breathes really well ... almost too well. :lol: Great for sunny days, but the cool conditions found me putting my sweater on and off all day. Andylo and Macca were great company and Blakey had his usual poker face (aka "Elliot face") on. I think it was later, when he realised that he had no hope of winning the nett nor the gross, that he finally flashed a smile ... :lol:

I was impressed with Andylo and Macca's swing speeds ... on their practice swings. :lol: Guys, you can really make a loud swish! :wink: If you can translate that into the real swing, you guys will be hitting long bombs all day. Blakey's gentle draws are great to watch. Very consistent. Even when he tries to fade, it draws ... :lol:

Afternoon round. Played with Damo, Jarro, and Trungo ... I developed a splitting headache during the lunchtime break, and found myself asking anyone and everyone for some panadol. Hmmm ... a doctor who can't even get himself panadol ... :? Luckly, the proshop sold some asprin, so I gave myself a generous 600mg dose. By about 5th hole, I was feeling much better.

I could tell Trung was feeling tired ... he wouldn't be human if he wasn't after staying up all night! :shock: However, he hit some great drives. When he tees it high and lets it fly, the ball really goes. Damo has the swing to make it to single figures pretty soon. Great balance and a simple looking swing. Perhaps if he can develop a little more lag, he will be able to hit it further. Anyway, watch out for damo in future Ozgolf events. Jarro sunk a few great putts with his trusty Scotty Cameron. That's one club you should hang onto for as long as possible, Jarro. His driver, on the other hand, was a bit shakey. He drove the ball much better when I played with him earlier in the year. I am sure Jarro will figure out why he didn't drive the ball as well as he usually does. Jarro's 2 iron got a workout yesterday, and when he got hold of it, he hit it far with good driving trajectory. Those Srixon irons are NICE ... :wink:

With the presentation ceremony over, I came back to the motel and CRASHED. Slept 12 hours straight and woke up refreshed this morning. I felt like calling everyone to come out for another 18 holes ... :lol: Anyway, I went back to the River Course to play in the Monday morning comp. This time, I only used the driver on straight holes, opting to tee off with 3 wood or 2 iron on dogleg holes. It payed off and I scored an "easy" 36 points. Said to myself, "why didn't I do this yesterday?" :roll:

Hmm ... this post is heading towards War and Peace, so let me finish by saying IT WAS A GREAT DAY. And Congrats Iain for being a worthy champion. For those who missed it, make sure you come next year. It will be bigger and better. 8)

BTW, I took my new digital camera hoping to get everyone's swing on video, but only succeeded in getting AndyP's impersonation of Nudgee. :lol: I emailed it to clickchic so I hope she can post it on the forum.

markTHEblake
2nd November 2004, 09:25 AM
Jono's review Got a few weird looks with my new putting style, and the ever-curious Andylo had a go with my sidesaddler. When he proclaimed that he was going to get one too, Blakey was quick to retort, "Only crazy people do that sort of thing" ... :? .

I beleive the exact quote was "only mental patients......"

That sidesaddling stance was so bad, that i walked and talked all over one of Jono's putts cos I thought he was still only lining up his putt.

That river course is not that bad. The greens were tough but its a very short golf course. 9 of the holes are well below the 'mid-range' of their respective pars. At 5900m its very short for modern standards so they have made up some strokes by making the greens a lot harder.

The main problem for us was a lack of local knowledge combined with a stroke event that made it very easy to rack up very large numbers. After a couple of rounds under your belt there, it would be just like playing at home.

damoocow
2nd November 2004, 12:43 PM
Moocow Report

Firstly apologies to those I didn't really get a chance to catch up with - will do so in future ozgolf days I'm sure !

Playing Partners

Iain - well what can I say that hasn't already be said ? - what an enigma [look it up Iain] - you could say the writing was on the wall literally the night before when we all saw the T Unit Graffiti - when it is your day you take it - well done .

Nudgee - this might sound strange but you never know what to expect from Nudgee - it's like buying $5 worth of mixed up lollies in a brown paper bag - you never know if he'll pull off a crappy gummy bear drive or a yahoo choo choo bar screamer - always an adventure - thanks Nudgee !

Vegas - first time I have played with Vegas so unsure of what to expect but thoroughly enjoyed it - a great dry sense of humour which I think helped keep my [rare] anger in check and his Harvey Penick like throwaway tips were inspirational and helped me get 34 pts when I was playing quite ordinary.

Jono - the quiet assassin !! - my god what a tee shot this guy hits ! - was the headache real or designed to lull us into a false sense of security? - and did he really take aspirin or something far more sinister ? -a great guy to play golf with - enjoyed playing with you [golf that is ! ] Jono

Jarro - the 2 iron was , for once, not the weapon it usually is which was a big surprise - he has an awesome short game and is always great to play with - very calm is Jarro - maybe he takes it out on someone when he gets home - has so many naughty movies he can't even give them away!

Trung - ah the human dynamo - what a livewire is Trung - and can he hit a long ball - love your smash the cover off the ball philosophy mate - kept on smiling even though he was doing it tough

THE COURSES
West course is a distant 2nd to the River course - I was playing badly the 2nd 18 but still loved that course - too many bloody bunkers for my liking but I love the strategic aspect of the design and although the greens were diabolical [look it up Iain] I still loved them , pity it is so far away!

Other Highlights

Maccafoolishly deciding to enter the bathroom to brush his teeth after the cow had just dropped a load - I can still hear his gagging scream !!
Eags
taxi driver extrordanaire - thanks Eags !
Tez- how many people you know would eat a 500g steak and vegies for an entree - you are an enigma [ask Iain]

many more highlights but should stop there - congrats to all who came along and to the organisers [even 69!] - looking forward to the next one

damoocow

Jarro
2nd November 2004, 06:12 PM
so i guess all that needs to be said now is ...... what's the plan for next year :roll: :lol:

Choppa
2nd November 2004, 08:08 PM

Come to think of it I am positive it was over 400 meters. Your yardage book must have been out. :)

Second shot was only a lob wedge wasn't it Vegas :shock:

AndyP
2nd November 2004, 08:23 PM

Come to think of it I am positive it was over 400 meters. Your yardage book must have been out. :)

Is that what he was telling you on the drive home? :roll:
Mine was only 5m behind his, max. :wink:

Jarro
2nd November 2004, 09:14 PM
sounds like you guys must have been on the wacky weed for the final 18 holes :roll:

markTHEblake
2nd November 2004, 11:06 PM

The way he hit it, i thought it was a lob wedge

BrisVegas
3rd November 2004, 08:08 AM

enough already :roll: sheeesh. It was a cold-topped 3-wood. Not a sky, not a pop-up, and certainly wasn't a Lob Wedge. Move on, nothing to see here. :wink: :roll:

terryand
3rd November 2004, 08:32 AM

enough already :roll: sheeesh. It was a cold-topped 3-wood. Not a sky, not a pop-up, and certainly wasn't a Lob Wedge. Move on, nothing to see here. :wink: :roll:

Please explain :smt017

So you creamed your drive then nutted the next that popped up in the air giving the empression that you hit lobby .....Right :-k

OR....did you just hit you lobby to give you the the correct yardage for you favorite approach distance :smt023

Terry.

Jarro
3rd November 2004, 09:52 AM
I'm pretty sure vegas said earlier he creamed the drive, cold topped the 3wood approach.. then made G.I.R with the lobby. 8)

Trung
3rd November 2004, 10:05 AM
Should have seen the next shot from 230m when I attempted to get home in 2 for the fans..... :lol: :lol: Cold-topped 3 wood about 100 metres. Ended up having a 3rd shot of 140 metres...
Lobby for 140m :shock: :twisted:

Jarro
3rd November 2004, 10:13 AM
Should have seen the next shot from 230m when I attempted to get home in 2 for the fans..... :lol: :lol: Cold-topped 3 wood about 100 metres. Ended up having a 3rd shot of 140 metres...

he is a big boy :roll:

Choppa
3rd November 2004, 10:59 AM

Pretty ordinary I agree, but Vegas said he only put a half swing on it. :wink:

BrisVegas
3rd November 2004, 11:21 AM
Geezuz choppa! :roll: Stop it already. I never said I hit lobby into the 18th.

For what it's worth, I hit 7 iron from 140. But who cares???!!! Surely there are more interesting things to talk about.... :shock:

Trung
3rd November 2004, 12:26 PM
Yeah Choppa, leave Vegas alone :P

PS/ my lobby is about 60m :oops:

Fishman Dan
3rd November 2004, 12:44 PM

Unless of course you knife it - i've found plenty of extra distance on my "shorter" irons that way :roll:

Stopping it on a green however...

Choppa
3rd November 2004, 01:01 PM

:smt064 :smt082

Ok I've had my fun now.

Although I was just talking with Vegas and he told me that he in fact hit 3 wood on the 18th (longest drive). :shock:

BrisVegas
3rd November 2004, 01:06 PM

Ok I've had my fun now.

Although I was just talking with Vegas and he told me that he in fact hit 3 wood on the 18th (longest drive). :shock:

:smt029 :smt029 :smt029

Trung
3rd November 2004, 02:29 PM

Ok I've had my fun now.

:smt029 :smt029 :smt029

How could Vegas hit one that far with the 3-Wood and then duffed the next one :smt021

Must be that half swing he spoke about from the midnight phone call :smt112 :smt120 :smt104 :smt095 :smt105

:smt077 :smt098

markTHEblake
9th November 2004, 09:01 PM
3 Wood - no way. I would have really been upset if he outdrove me with a 3 Wood.

Anyway it was a 21 degree rescue club, into the wind, and he got it a bit heely.

AndyP
20th March 2005, 09:44 PM
Finally, the trophies and medallions have been presented.

Here are a few happy snaps:

I had to tell Gaz to sit down and take a few deep breaths, as the excitement of recieving the medallion was a little too much for him.
http://img215.exs.cx/img215/6924/grosswinnergazgolf1lf.jpg

Just what Choppa needed. A permanent reminder of his 4 putt to lose the Champs.
http://img212.exs.cx/img212/2648/runnerupchoppa5yo.jpg

Nearly 5 months on, and you still can't get the smile off the Champs face.
(Kev, I'm sure you told Andylo to get out of the bloody way)
http://img208.exs.cx/img208/2329/thechampiain14zj.jpg
http://img217.exs.cx/img217/7899/thechampiain28tw.jpg

Onewood
21st March 2005, 05:19 PM
AndyP wrote

(Kev, I'm sure you told Andylo to get out of the bloody way)

I should've said the same to Jarro, :D gees he get's around when the cameras come out :wink: Check out the camouflage, that’s the bar he’s standing at, pretending to open his wallet to buy a beer, now that is a dead give away that Jarro is chasing the lime light :lol: :lol: [last pic]

Great pic's and great motivation for this years champs 8)

Have the honor boards been updated :?:

Jarro
21st March 2005, 05:31 PM
I should've said the same to Jarro, :D gees he get's around when the cameras come out :wink:

i was only over there to get a couple more beers :?

markTHEblake
21st March 2005, 06:36 PM
i was only over there to get a couple more beers

that would be with the $5 that you never paid up right?
(Gailes)

Trung
21st March 2005, 06:38 PM

(Gailes)

Jarro, you are in 2 out of the 4 photos. Thats pretty impressive mate. Ever consider a modelling career?

Onewood
21st March 2005, 06:58 PM

(Gailes)

Jarro, you are in 2 out of the 4 photos. Thats pretty impressive mate. Ever consider a modelling career?

Trung, 3 out of the 4 and if you look into the window in choppa's pic, we could prob pick him out there aswell :D

Jarro
21st March 2005, 08:06 PM

(Gailes)

i'm sure i have no idea what you're talking about :?

markTHEblake
21st March 2005, 08:54 PM

(Gailes)

i'm sure i have no idea what you're talking about :?

last year when we played at Gailes in the Dingo Hill day. we all put in $5 for a prize pool and you took off early promising "i'll pay up next time"

i knew i would never see that $5.

Flowergirl
22nd March 2005, 07:06 AM
All we need is for Jarro to wear a red & white striped top and black rimmed glasses and a scarf and we could start our own new picture book :shock:

Flowergirl
22nd March 2005, 08:44 AM
All we need is for Jarro to wear a red & white striped top and black rimmed glasses and a scarf and we could start our own new picture book :shock:

Thats not bad for an old girl Irene. :wink:

Gee thanks Dick :wink: