PDA

View Full Version : Cut Down Shaft Stiffness

SupaSubi
20th May 2008, 10:37 AM
hi all,

quick Q,

does a shaft increase in apparent stiff if it is cut down?

i just got a 3wood with a stiff shaft, but it still seems a little whippy, i thought i might cut it down by a inch or 2 to try stiffen it up - and straighten me out! :twisted:

thanks.

3oneday
20th May 2008, 11:38 AM
I think it only stiffens if you tip the bottom end, not the top end, but it depends on the shaft as to whether you can tip it at all !

kwantfm
20th May 2008, 01:18 PM
If you cut the shaft from the butt you are removing the stiffer portion of the shaft. Without adding weight to the head you'll find that the stiffness probably remains the same but your ability to feel the head will decrease significantly as the swingweight falls. If you then add weight to the head (lead tape or a weight pin in the hosel) you'll then find that when you normalise the swingweight the shaft will also feel less stiff.

As 3oneday says, you will have to cut the tip end of the shaft to stiffen it up, you'll then have to add some length at the grip end using a butt extender in order to maintain playing length as well as maintain swingweight.

SupaSubi
20th May 2008, 01:21 PM
well that sucks...

Toolish
20th May 2008, 01:25 PM
can pull it out, trim it, and put it back in if you are keen.

SupaSubi
20th May 2008, 02:26 PM
can pull it out, trim it, and put it back in if you are keen.

as far i know, shafts are glued in. i was told once to heat the shaft with a blow torch until the glue melted then you could just pull it out. can this be done with graphite shafts?

and secondly - i would need to make sure that the shaft doesn't taper at all in the tip section to do this wouldn't it?

thanks in advance

Toolish
20th May 2008, 02:37 PM
You can do it with graphite just don't get it too hot or you will break down the glue that holds the graphite together, and you may leave scorch marks on the club. That said if you are tipping it a couple of inches anyhow it won't matter. Given you are planning to tip it you could also just cut it inthe head and drill it out.

As for the shaft tapering, as 3oneday said, depends what shaft.

moree golfer
20th May 2008, 02:55 PM
as far i know, shafts are glued in. i was told once to heat the shaft with a blow torch until the glue melted then you could just pull it out. can this be done with graphite shafts?

and secondly - i would need to make sure that the shaft doesn't taper at all in the tip section to do this wouldn't it?

thanks in advance
SS,
Heating the shaft is incorrect, you need to heat the hosel where the shaft is inserted and then carefully pull the head out. As far as cutting the shaft you should find out how much you are going to tip as there is generally 30mm of shaft in the hosel. If you are tipping less than that then pulling would be preferable to cutting.

goonie
20th May 2008, 04:21 PM
You should never heat a graphite shaft, and you should use a shaft puller for graphite if you intend to use it again. If you want some good howtos go to www.golfsmith.com and look under clubmaking, I think Ben had some stuff on his site too, www.golfcomponents.com.au. or you can just google it, lots of stuff with heaps of pics out there.

perci
20th May 2008, 04:36 PM
What sought of Club and shaft is it mate I may be able to do it for a couple of Beers!

SupaSubi
20th May 2008, 06:05 PM
What sought of Club and shaft is it mate I may be able to do it for a couple of Beers!

its the mactec NVG 3 wood that OZ had up for sale not long ago, shaft eludes me atm... its the stock one though.

can this one be done? :-s

kwantfm
20th May 2008, 06:16 PM
I expect there are only two sorts of head/shaft combos that might be difficult:
1. Bore through - pain in the neck to reshaft; and
2. Composite heads - have to be very careful heating the head.

perci
20th May 2008, 06:21 PM
its the mactec NVG 3 wood that OZ had up for sale not long ago, shaft eludes me atm... its the stock one though.

can this one be done? :-s

Absolutley,I'm holidays at the moment so if you like I can have a look at it.

TheNuclearOne
20th May 2008, 09:04 PM
My experiences have the driver stiffening a little when taking length off the butt. I find that adding enough headweight (lead tape say) to get the SW back the same softens the shaft back to near what it was. 1/2 = 6 grams from memory.

virge666
21st May 2008, 04:41 PM
My experiences have the driver stiffening a little when taking length off the butt. I find that adding enough headweight (lead tape say) to get the SW back the same softens the shaft back to near what it was. 1/2 = 6 grams from memory.

Not quite mate . . .

Every 2 grams will add 1 SW. Every inch cut off will reduce the club by 6 SW.

:)

TheNuclearOne
21st May 2008, 06:41 PM
Not quite mate . . .

Every 2 grams will add 1 SW. Every inch cut off will reduce the club by 6 SW.

Which makes me spot on i think? 1/2 inch cut off = 3 SW = 6 grams to get back to the same, no? 1/2 inch is what i stated.

virge666
22nd May 2008, 12:21 PM
Which makes me spot on i think? 1/2 inch cut off = 3 SW = 6 grams to get back to the same, no? 1/2 inch is what i stated.

Shit - your right - my bad.

i use to be good at maths...

TheNuclearOne
22nd May 2008, 05:36 PM
Shit - your right - my bad.

i use to be good at maths...

Hahaha, no worries mate.