PDA

View Full Version : Cabramatta

Scottt
14th May 2008, 03:26 PM
Today was my first game there since a JPs game ages ago (that I won 1up after being 6down after 10 :D).

It's a pretty nice course: not up and back, some good doglegs, some length, good bunkering, interesting slope work around the greens, lots of "stuff" going on on the greens, very penal off the cut stuff.

The conditioning was first-rate, but there are a few obvious design issues, for mine.

1. Why the **** is that tree on the sixth fairway 130m out. The fairway is tight as it is, but it basically leaves the area that you need to hit your second shot about 5m wide. and the hole is 500m, so it's not like it needs stupid tricks like trees in the fairway.

2. The eighth hole is poo. 300m par four that has no risk/reward. A tight as **** fairway, bunkers in front, trees everywhere, so you hit an iron to 140m out and you can't see the top of the flagstick. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

3. That fence next to the first tee is in play for god sake. At least move it over the other side of the path so you can hit it straight off the tee. But why put the tees over on the right given the fence is where it is. I know my shot wasn't that great, but it sure as hell didn't desrve to be 50m up in front of the tee.

Thoughts from those who played and any others who know the course?

Grunt
14th May 2008, 03:37 PM
Today was my first game there since a JPs game ages ago (that I won 1up after being 6down after 10 :D).

It's a pretty nice course: not up and back, some good doglegs, some length, good bunkering, interesting slope work around the greens, lots of "stuff" going on on the greens, very penal off the cut stuff.

The conditioning was first-rate, but there are a few obvious design issues, for mine.

1. Why the **** is that tree on the sixth fairway 130m out. The fairway is tight as it is, but it basically leaves the area that you need to hit your second shot about 5m wide. and the hole is 500m, so it's not like it needs stupid tricks like trees in the fairway.

Dont have a problem with that tree, just lay up short of it and hit a wedge to the green.

2. The eighth hole is poo. 300m par four that has no risk/reward. A tight as **** fairway, bunkers in front, trees everywhere, so you hit an iron to 140m out and you can't see the top of the flagstick. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Agree there, is a hole that seems way harder than it's rating because of the tight fairway.

3. That fence next to the first tee is in play for god sake. At least move it over the other side of the path so you can hit it straight off the tee. But why put the tees over on the right given the fence is where it is. I know my shot wasn't that great, but it sure as hell didn't desrve to be 50m up in front of the tee.

Fence is there to stop hackers like me hitting cars on the adjacent road. Just need to take it out of play like the others did, lucky you did not see my shot.:oops:

Thoughts from those who played and any others who know the course?

I don't mind it overall, needs to be refined a little

miro
14th May 2008, 03:42 PM
Ok my comments.

1. The greens were in great nick. The course was in good nick (i.e. the greens were the highlight)

2. The greens can be pretty brutal as they are quick and have long continous slopes so get the pace wrong and you can look more than a little silly.

3. The par 5's could do with some chainsaw work especially 11 which a waste of a potentially good hole.

4. The par 3's are all to similar in length and look.

In summary I enjoyed the course as it definitely made you think off the tee. I didn't love it as there are some "forced" aspects of the design. But for $20 in Sydney its a good track and worth a game once in a while.

virge666
14th May 2008, 07:02 PM
I am with Miro here . . . the greens were sensational if a little brutal - but I would rather that slow fluffy ones.

My only complaint is the design of MOST of the holes. There is no vision there is no aim and there is no thought. It looks like the couple of holes they got right were done by accident, there is a great 170m par 3 with a bunker on the front left that I thought was the highlight of the course. You could bail out on the right or go for the pin if you wanted. Choices . . . awesome.

But most of the holes are just that - holes. There is a LOT of local knowledge required and there are no choices, no risk and reward. It looked they were trying to protect the course from good players from beginning to end. Every hole looked like it had been Tiger proofed. So many holes that were SO narrow with no options, we have greens bigger than the fairways at my little B grade course. I am sure I played a par 5 though a forest at one stage. (or that could be the driver which now is Scott's curse.)

The best description I thought up was that it is a perfect Par 4 hole to bunt it along 150m and then bunt it again, then bunt it to the green and two putt for 5 a 2. A good high markers course that with a bit of local knowledge - you could get it around and have a few good rounds.

The two and a half hour drive didn't help, lucky there were some good blokes to play with though, cause I ain't going back anytime soon.

Scottt
14th May 2008, 07:06 PM
I agree that it was Tiger-proofed. Matt bombed it 260 up 12 and still didn't have a chance to go for the green. Too much timber.

And three was a tough golf hole, why not make it a short par 5 and let the course play as a par 71?

But yeah, not too much design nouse. 3, 7, 10, 13 and 17 were the standouts for mine.

miro
14th May 2008, 07:23 PM
And three was a tough golf hole, why not make it a short par 5 and let the course play as a par 71?

Scott

I hit driver 6 iron to that green so maybe not a short 5.

Miro

virge666
14th May 2008, 07:28 PM
12 was a bloody mess.

You just had no choice to do anything... Such a good looking view from the tee.

And then a green that had water in front and to the left - trees on the right and nothing up the back... it is just a nothing hole...

clear some of the trees, cut it out like an island green with a bailout on the right and also to the back and you have yourself a signature hole with no bunkers required.

Would be sensational.

jimandr
14th May 2008, 07:43 PM
I haven't played Cabra for 5 years, and they were preparing to dig up the 7th green that day, so a few things may have changed since I was there.

But, it is a course I have always enjoyed playing, although there are some infuriating aspects. I agree that there are some local knowledge issues. However I suspect that those same issues probably make the course good to play as a member.

The first four holes are nearly the toughest start in Sydney, particularly for a shortish hitter like myself. 3 and 4 are just about out of reach for me. I'd be happier if the two nines were reversed, and even happier if those holes were short par 5's. I can't recall if there was room to move the tees back.

The thing I liked least was the false fronts on quite a few greens. The last time I played the greens were as quick as anything I've ever played, and any ball that pitched in the false front finished 20m down the fairway.

I like the par 3's. 5, 14 and 16 are all short but challenging.

Personally, I blame Andrew. He was so unpopular when he was a member there that if he suggested something, they would do the exact opposite. Hence all the trees down 11.

virge666
14th May 2008, 08:00 PM
Andrew . . . a member there !!

He woudl have been totally insufferable. But he would have been right !

If I was a member I would just chainsaw it myself.

Grunt
14th May 2008, 08:06 PM
As Jim has said he left when his opinion was not wanted and others were listened too.

Scottt
14th May 2008, 08:17 PM
PS Virge - good ideas on that hole, but it's 11, not 12.

Andrew
14th May 2008, 10:38 PM
Ah, Cabramatta GC. Jim is correct! I wasn’t very popular when I left there.

1st Hole
The fencing is to stop balls flying onto the road. A solution was raised by someone who is now a former member that the tee could be moved to the end of the car park, next to the fence, thereby steering tee shots away from the road & allowing the course to start with a nice short par 4 (about 280m), giving greater variety to the par 4’s on the course. By removing a few trees & building a few well placed bunkers, everything from driver to 5 iron could be effectively used off the tee.

I was told that the par 4’s at Cabramatta were well known & often spoken about throughout Sydney for their toughness, so having a short par 4 would ruin the club’s reputation. Firstly, when does toughness automatically make a hole good & secondly, I’ve played every course in Sydney & know many golfers from many clubs & none of them speak to me about how great Cabramatta’s par 4’s are.

2nd Hole
The 2nd hole is my greatest disappointment at Cabramatta. If the trees on the inside of the dogleg were removed to the point of having uninterrupted vision of the green & 3 fairway bunkers were placed on the upslope of the dogleg, this could be the best hole on the course.

If the green was redesigned to face the tee, the fairway bunkers would allow four different lengths of carry. The longest carry would require the greatest risk, but leave the golfer with an easy approach. As the tee shot shortened, the approach would become proportionally more difficult.

When addressing this issue with the club, I found out that Cabramatta’s trees are the ‘pride & joy’ of the club. There is NOT a decent course in the world that can be improved by having more trees, but there are thousands that could be improved by having less.

Andrew
14th May 2008, 10:39 PM
3rd Hole
The fairway bunkers on the inside of the dogleg were place there to protect the 7th tee. How they stop a flying ball from hitting someone on the 7th tee I don’t know.

7th Hole
A few years back a local pro (I think it was Daryl Purchase) shot 62 in the pro-am. This sent shock wave around the club. “How could this be? We must make the course harder.” (This totally ignored the fact that the guy who came 2nd shot 71 (1 over par)). The committee decided to hirer a GCA to toughen up the course.

I persistently asked if the committee had a masterplan & how did the redesign fit into the masterplan’s budget. Finally, they produced a masterplan (mostly to shut me up) that had supposedly been running for the previous 3 years & included the redesign.

Now here’s the kicker! They hired the GCA three months after the completion of the 7th green, which was completely redesigned & built ‘in-house’. I asked the question why any club would redesign a hole when the masterplan clear stated that a GCA was to be hired. By now, quite a few people agreed with me & under pressure, the committee basically admitted that the masterplan had been written retrospectively to keep people like me quiet & that it was people like me who bring down great clubs like Cabramatta. It was at this point that I felt it would be best for everyone if I didn’t renew my membership & leave them to their own devises.

Of course, they didn’t have the money to do a proper redesign, so they hired a total hack (the same guy who did the work at Bankstown) who agreed to add some bunkers (mostly greenside) & refurbish many of the existing greenside bunkers, WITHOUT CHANGING OR TOUCHING ANY OF THE GREENS. This, of course, is impossible if you want to do a decent job. A friend of mine, who was designing for Tom Lehman at the time, laughed for 5 minutes straight when he heard the news.

Golfer 69 once worked, & I believe car pooled, with the guy who did the work.

Apart from all that, one big problem the club faces is trees restricting sunlight from greens like the 5th & the 11th, & fairways like the2nd & the 8th. These areas, & others, struggle every winter, & the period of poor conditions lengthens every year as the trees continue to grow.

Anyway, I could go on, but I better not.

markTHEblake
14th May 2008, 10:50 PM
Pics?

virge666
15th May 2008, 12:11 PM
3rd Hole
Anyway, I could go on, but I better not.

It is a pity as it could be a good course, but FFS, buy a chainsaw.

I hate course that don't give CHOICES . . . !!!!

mikezone13
15th May 2008, 12:42 PM
I hate course that don't give CHOICES . . . !!!!

Would you like fries with that? :D

Muza
18th May 2008, 08:38 PM
Ah, Cabramatta..... my home!!! I grew up on it. Learned to play golf here.
I love this course, but we all would love to make changes to it or have our own ideas on how to improve it. I think the biggest problem cabra faces is the lack of room. but how many good courses in sydney have limited space. I think there could be some good changes made!!!

IMO

1 could be made better
2 you coudl always hit it over the units and hook it back.....
3-4 are good, but dont hit it right. Fairway bunkers on 3 ????
Dont like 7 too much
Love to see 8 remodeled, you get penalised if you just miss the fairway or if you miss it more you are better off. i mean its probably better to play the hole from a different fairway depending on where the pin is on the green???

9 is a good hole.
10-13 are great. Favourite hole on the course is 11. but probably my worst scoring hole.

I could go on for a while but i wont.
There are pics of the course on the cabragolf.com.au. Look out for the hot looking guy on the home page!!! (Blue shirt):wink:

Gday Andrew,

I am not a greenie, but i love the trees. And in saying that some of the trees on the second are heritage listed. So it would be extremely hard to knock them down.

So where do you play now?

Andrew
18th May 2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Muza,

If you are who I think you are, I thought you just knocked it on the 8th with your tee shot most times.

You are correct about the limited room Sydney courses have. It's one of the reason the average Sydney course is so poor compared to Melbourne courses.

Where do I play now? My home club is Newcastle GC.

Muza
21st May 2008, 08:24 AM
Rgardless of all the all the changes that we could / would like to make, its still a super golf course and a real challenge.

I think a definate must play if you havent played it.

Grunt
21st May 2008, 08:32 AM
Rgardless of all the all the changes that we could / would like to make, its still a super golf course and a real challenge.

I think a definate must play if you havent played it.

I like it Muza, but who am I? I am just a lowly B/C Grader.

virge666
21st May 2008, 08:44 AM

Hey Muza,

Quick question . . . why do you like it ?

Is it the condition of the course ? Or the challenge it presents ? How it looks ?

I am really curious - as my balance of a golf course is not so much the challenge - but the presentation of the course. I like to be offered choices and risk reward options. I do not feel that Cabra has any of that.

For mine - you have two chocies - be long and VERY straight, or short and straight... there are no "Options" or choices to be made.

Very positional golf and hence boring . . .

Muza
22nd May 2008, 09:31 AM
Cabra is always in good nick, wake up early on the weekends and have a game of golf, birds chirping, dew on the grass and the smell of Krispy Kreams. =P~=P~ Where else would you rather be!!!:mrgreen:

I cant remember the last time we had preffered lies. Greens are pretty good, but some (like me) would like them a bit quicker. Tight parkland course, heavily treed, undulating and fully irrigated Kikuya and couch fairways, Penncross Bent greens, well bunkered, water in play on many holes. Birdlife abounds, panoramic views from elevated tees on several holes, isolated location. what more could you ask for........More risk reward??

I think that is just a matter of opinion. With my ability its a risk for everyone else that i am playing. :oops::oops::oops:

for me...here are some of my thoughts when I play certain holes

2. (par 4) Driver or long iron off the tee,
3. (par 4) driver of 3 wood
6. (par 5) go for it in 2 or lay up. big reward if it pays off.
8. (par 4) go for it or lay up. reward if it pays off.
10. (par 4) driver or iron. reward if it pays off.
11. (par 5) driver off the tee to give you a chance of taking it on in two. Is the juice worth the squeeze. Sometimes not. But there is rick reward.
12. (par 3) aim at the pin or bail out to the right
13. (par 5) I have been in perfect position with my drive for the past 10 games and have hit the green once for 2. So its in my head, but You can take on the water and the green or lay up. But the green does really reward a good second shot.

To sum up, great conditioned course, natural setting, abundance wildlife, water in play on many holes, undulating fairways, panoramic veiws, plenty risk rewards shots.....hence NOT boring!!!:):)

Have I answered your question??:)

Scottt
22nd May 2008, 10:11 AM
Let me focus on the two par fives you've mentioned:

Six is a stupid hole. To clear the dogleg and give yourself a chance of being on or close in two, you have to hit your drive down the right. What is waiting in the right half of the fairway 130-odd out? A big f**king tree. Even if you lay up, the area you can aim for to take the tree out of play and still be on the cut stuff is about 10 square metres. The prime position for the lay-up is in the left rough. That is so stupid it just defies any logic.

I realise beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but 11 is completely devoid of reward for the risk. If they cut some foliage out of the dogleg you could have a crack and risk going in the drink. By my reckoning you have to bomb it about 270 slightly uphill from the back tees into an area on the left of the fairway the size of about half a tennis court to have a realistic shot at being home in two. That's craziness!

Just my opinion, of course.

Muza
22nd May 2008, 12:10 PM
I have local knowledge so I may take it for granted about the tree on the 11 fairway. I am sure it has been in a lot of conversations between members in the past and continue to be.

I think 11 is a true 3 shot par 5, but given that I would have no problem in removing some vege to allow more people to have a crack. ultimately more risk reward.

If you're long enough on 6 you can have a crack, but the average joe cant do that. maybe a new green location would be an answer.

Scottt
22nd May 2008, 12:37 PM
The green on 6 is amazing. I just think that tree is crazy.

Why move an entire green when you can just chop a tree down?

mrbluu
18th November 2014, 10:49 PM
The green on 6 is amazing. I just think that tree is crazy. Why move an entire green when you can just chop a tree down? I'm pleased to report that the tree 100m out on the 6th has been removed as well as quite a few trees around some of the greens "as the roots were getting under the greens". There are also romours that the trees on the right hand side of 11 are going as well, but some of the pine trees on the left had already been removed.

FuzzyJuzzy
19th November 2014, 08:49 AM
I'm pleased to report that the tree 100m out on the 6th has been removed as well as quite a few trees around some of the greens "as the roots were getting under the greens". There are also romours that the trees on the right hand side of 11 are going as well, but some of the pine trees on the left had already been removed.

I never minded that tree on #6 - presented an interesting challenge for the second shot, whether you were going for it in two or laying up. I know trees in fairways is frowned upon from a design point of view, but I don't mind it on the odd occasion. Everyone slags off #11 at Cabra, but I don't mind it. I don't think every par 5 has to offer a legitimate option of going for the green in two.
My fave holes at Cabra are 2,3,10,12,13,18.

mrbluu
19th November 2014, 08:57 AM
I never minded that tree on #6 - presented an interesting challenge for the second shot, whether you were going for it in two or laying up. I know trees in fairways is frowned upon from a design point of view, but I don't mind it on the odd occasion. Everyone slags off #11 at Cabra, but I don't mind it. I don't think every par 5 has to offer a legitimate option of going for the green in two.
My fave holes at Cabra are 2,3,10,12,13,18.

They have also trimmed a lot of the trees to let sunlight through to help the grass grow back in some areas.

The guys are right though, they need to take more trees out on the course to give you options off the tee. 8 is a perfect example. It's become even narrower over the last few years as the trees are getting taller and wider. My suggest is to remove all the trees up on the right hand side of the fairway to about 140m out so ppl can have an option to lay up. That will leave you a 140-160m shot up hill to a blind green.

WE can also thin out the trees between the 4 and 6 holes.

FuzzyJuzzy
19th November 2014, 09:58 AM
Yeah, not a big fan of that 8th hole as it currently is. 17th is nice to look at.

Dangals
19th November 2014, 10:06 AM
I agree Binh - some pruning would certainly help a few holes there.

Sounds like they are on the right track - looking forward to getting back there for another hit

gumby
30th November 2014, 10:48 PM
anyone know how much it is for a social 18 and for visitors comp ?

mrbluu
30th November 2014, 10:50 PM
anyone know how much it is for a social 18 and for visitors comp ?
I think socially it's around $30 or cheaper depending what time u play. They also had a deal for 2 games and cart hire for $50 after lunch time. Comp games are about $25-30.

Captain Nemo
19th March 2015, 12:04 PM
Calling Mr Blu......

mrbluu
19th March 2015, 12:13 PM
Calling Mr Blu......
Yes??

Captain Nemo
19th March 2015, 01:29 PM
Any updates to speak of?
I might look at joining a new track....

Peppas
19th March 2015, 01:37 PM
Any updates to speak of?

What are you going to move out west as well?

Dotty
19th March 2015, 01:41 PM
Recruitment drive for Uncivil War 2016?

Captain Nemo
19th March 2015, 01:46 PM
Are you ****ing kidding....?

Recruitment drive for Uncivil War 2016?
I wont be captain, and besides we will win regardless on new guys!
;)

Peppas
19th March 2015, 01:57 PM
Are you ****ing kidding....?

I wont be captain, and besides we will win regardless on new guys!
;)

Nope, wouldn't Cabra be like a 40min drive from your place?

wazandnic
19th March 2015, 01:59 PM
What's happened to Kogarah??

You nknow you can pretty much walk to Eastlakes! ;)

Captain Nemo
19th March 2015, 02:16 PM
What's happened to Kogarah??

You nknow you can pretty much walk to Eastlakes! ;)

email sent.
:(

Captain Nemo
19th March 2015, 02:17 PM
Nope, wouldn't Cabra be like a 40min drive from your place?

Yeh, prob 30mins early in the morning.

mrbluu
19th March 2015, 02:36 PM
Yeh, prob 30mins early in the morning.

40min including stopping to get a pork roll!!!

Captain Nemo
19th March 2015, 02:37 PM
40min including stopping to get a pork roll!!!

Wouldnt you just get me one?

Icestorm959
20th March 2015, 06:32 PM
Didn't you just pay for another year of subs at Kogarah?

Captain Nemo
20th March 2015, 06:48 PM
Yep....

Sydney Hacker
21st March 2015, 04:06 PM
Is something major happening at Kogarah? A mate of mine is looking at joining there shortly...

Captain Nemo
21st March 2015, 06:06 PM
Is something major happening at Kogarah? A mate of mine is looking at joining there shortly...

Yep.
Pm me an email addy

KristianJ
21st March 2015, 06:41 PM
http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/home/?u=794839af91a69192557c00914&id=83ae2013ae

Found these via their Facebook page...I'd assume it's the Marsh St widening?

Captain Nemo
21st March 2015, 06:45 PM
Yep, it's a shitfight.....absolute debacle.
Shame really as the course is in tip top condition.... :(

rick3003
23rd March 2015, 02:56 PM
Any updates to speak of?
Straight along the m5 to mac links mate... some great deals to be had and no joining fee

Captain Nemo
23rd March 2015, 02:57 PM
Yeh, but bit of a hassle if i want to play 9 holes after work!!
KGC is just so convenient for me.

wazandnic
23rd March 2015, 03:02 PM
Imagine how convenient Eastlake would be!?! ;)

Captain Nemo
23rd March 2015, 03:05 PM
You dont play there enough for me to join!! :)

wazandnic
23rd March 2015, 03:13 PM
haha... maybe I'd play more*! ;)

* as much as I'd love to, probably unlikely. :( But I have played there about 5 times this year already!! 8)

KristianJ
18th August 2015, 06:56 PM
I just flicked over to the Golf Show and Radar Riley's waxing lyrical about Cabra!! U.S. Open style greens, apparently...

That said, the Masters day last year ripped me a couple of new ones, so maybe he has a point...

wazandnic
18th August 2015, 06:59 PM
Yeah caught that to. US Open greens puzzled me also... but good to hear him give it a wrap.

FuzzyJuzzy
19th August 2015, 08:09 AM
Cabramatta is a pretty awesome track. So much variation in the holes there, and all the undulations in the property make it very interesting. In saying that, there are some frustrating design elements here and there. 11 is a three-shot par 5 all day long (that doesn't bother me so much), but I hear they plan on taking out some of the trees on the corner. 8 is wicked tight and uphill all the way. If it was a little shorter - maybe at 240-250m (and still uphill all the way) it'd be a better hole, as taking driver and trying to drive the green would then be a more valid option. I played it from the plates the other day and went 4-iron off the tee, then 8-iron into the green. But 8 has a cracking green complex and awesome greenside bunkering. 15 is also a little tricky - if you take less than driver (from the plates) you can hit a good shot and be in the fairway and still be blocked out by that big tree. Or you take driver and you can hit it past the big tree, but then we're talking a very narrow landing area. Anyways, I like Cabra because it's a thinkers course that you have to plot your way around, and it's in great nick. My favourite holes are 2, 3 (probably the best long par 4 I've played), 10, 12, 14, 16, 17.
I'll be moving over there in April. Such an intriguing course with some fantastic holes and impeccable greens. Best greens in western Sydney in my opinion. Well, equal best with Stonecutters Ridge. And only a 12-minute drive from my joint.
Not sure what Riley meant by "US Open greens". Think he called Cabra's greens "small", as well. Some are small - like on 2,9 and 18 - but what about the massive greens on holes like 3,6,8,10? Maybe he just meant that they're tricky greens - quick, with quite a lot of wicked slopes.

Icestorm959
19th August 2015, 08:56 PM
Great review Fuzzy.

I prefer Cabra Greens to Stonecutters - I find Stonecutter Greens to be unlike any other green I've played on in Sydney - cannot buy a putt on it!

Kaniss
13th October 2015, 01:48 PM
I played Cabra 2 weeks ago for the first time. I'm in love.. :) awesome track. I found it a bit difficult to navigate on the odd occasion but worked it out quick smart. Planning on playing there this friday If I manage to get the day off (sick) if anyone wants to join, going to walk it.

mrbluu
13th October 2015, 02:06 PM
I played Cabra 2 weeks ago for the first time. I'm in love.. :) awesome track. I found it a bit difficult to navigate on the odd occasion but worked it out quick smart. Planning on playing there this friday If I manage to get the day off (sick) if anyone wants to join, going to walk it.
I will be there from about 5pm trying to get a little practice on before 2nd round of champs. The greens should be nice and fast for u.

Kaniss
13th October 2015, 02:23 PM
I will be there from about 5pm trying to get a little practice on before 2nd round of champs. The greens should be nice and fast for u.

Last time I player the greens were perfect speed wise, I was sinking everything. Hopefully I can repeat that stunning performance this week...lol
I'm going to try and book a 9am time hopefully (if they let me get on) so I can pick up my son from school at 3, if not he can go to after school care and Ill play a bit later say 11 or 12.

mrbluu
13th October 2015, 02:24 PM
Last time I player the greens were perfect speed wise, I was sinking everything. Hopefully I can repeat that stunning performance this week...lol
I'm going to try and book a 9am time hopefully (if they let me get on) so I can pick up my son from school at 3, if not he can go to after school care and Ill play a bit later say 11 or 12.
No worries, enjoy.

Kaniss
19th October 2015, 02:17 PM
2 foot from an ace on that 14th last Friday. Man that was close. Had a few people on the 15th rush up to see if it went in. Oh well next time.
Really loving this course, for some reason it makes me feel like I'm playing in Canada or USA with all the pine trees everywhere.

mrbluu
19th October 2015, 03:06 PM
2 foot from an ace on that 14th last Friday. Man that was close. Had a few people on the 15th rush up to see if it went in. Oh well next time.
Really loving this course, for some reason it makes me feel like I'm playing in Canada or USA with all the pine trees everywhere.
Pine trees everywhere......are u sure u got the right course??

3Puttpete
19th October 2015, 03:09 PM
Trees all look the same out there

mrbluu
19th October 2015, 03:32 PM
Trees all look the same out there
Bwahahaha

Peppas
19th October 2015, 03:34 PM

Are you serious buddy?

Captain Nemo
19th October 2015, 03:45 PM
#wrongcourse?

Dotty
19th October 2015, 03:49 PM
I assume he went really hard right off the 11th and 13th tees.

Grizzly Adams would feel at home there.

3oneday
19th October 2015, 04:03 PM
Have I played there? Hopefully not on an ozgolf day.

Peppas
19th October 2015, 04:13 PM
Have I played there? Hopefully not on an ozgolf day.

Never seen you at an ozgolf event

3oneday
19th October 2015, 04:53 PM
Never seen you at an ozgolf eventme too.

Kaniss
20th October 2015, 11:17 AM
Pine trees everywhere......are u sure u got the right course??

Yeah man haven't you just stopped for a moment and looked around at the trees as you play there? you would be quite surprised how many they have...Next time have a look. They look like pines to me, could be another name.

Kaniss
20th October 2015, 11:29 AM
I assume he went really hard right off the 11th and 13th tees.

Grizzly Adams would feel at home there.
Actually 11th was a cracking hole, straight drive down the middle, short of the mound before the dogleg. Then a sweet 5 iron, just over the water, nestling nicely on the edge. 13th, lets not speak of that hole. ;)

mrbluu
20th October 2015, 11:34 AM
Actually 11th was a cracking hole, straight drive down the middle, short of the mound before the dogleg. Then a sweet 5 iron, just over the water, nestling nicely on the edge. 13th, lets not speak of that hole. ;)

The 11th is the second worse hole on the course, just behind 8th. Like most of the holes on the course it can be made a lot better by removing a bunch of trees.

There are plans to cut down a bunch of trees from the corner of 11.

mrbluu
20th October 2015, 11:38 AM
Yeah man haven't you just stopped for a moment and looked around at the trees as you play there? you would be quite surprised how many they have...Next time have a look. They look like pines to me, could be another name.
From memory they are on 10, 11, 12, 13 and one on 6. I wouldn't say they are the dominant tree or feature of the course.

Kaniss
20th October 2015, 11:44 AM
The 11th is the second worse hole on the course, just behind 8th. Like most of the holes on the course it can be made a lot better by removing a bunch of trees.

Yes I agree, especially the one sitting right in the middle of the 6th I think it is, cant remember.

3oneday
20th October 2015, 12:28 PM
Actually 11th was a cracking hole, straight drive down the middle, short of the mound before the dogleg. Then a sweet 5 iron, just over the water, nestling nicely on the edge. 13th, lets not speak of that hole. ;)OK, I'll bite, you were off the Yellow tees, correct?

Kaniss
20th October 2015, 12:58 PM
OK, I'll bite, you were off the Yellow tees, correct?

Was I meant to be playing off the yellow tees? ;)

3oneday
20th October 2015, 02:55 PM
Driver 5 iron to 11 would indicate so, unless you are Bubba Watson :)

Kaniss
20th October 2015, 03:39 PM
Driver 5 iron to 11 would indicate so, unless you are Bubba Watson :)

It's doable, 479m to the hole and I never said I was on the green, I said I was "Just over the water, nestling nicely on the edge" (lob distance) It's easily another 20-30m to the hole from there.

Next time I'll make sure to document and film my game for you ;) In HD.

Peppas
20th October 2015, 04:05 PM
Flusher!

Gammon
20th October 2015, 04:11 PM

I played from the Social tees on Sunday, much more fun. I really hate the 8th hole (shorter or wider or a somewhat level section of fairway to aim for would be better) but so many cracking golf holes I love playing at Cabra.

mrbluu
20th October 2015, 04:37 PM
It's doable, 479m to the hole and I never said I was on the green, I said I was "Just over the water, nestling nicely on the edge" (lob distance) It's easily another 20-30m to the hole from there.

Next time I'll make sure to document and film my game for you ;) In HD.

I hope you do, nothing better than video of social rounds!!! :mrgreen:

I played from the Social tees on Sunday, much more fun. I really hate the 8th hole (shorter or wider or a somewhat level section of fairway to aim for would be better) but so many cracking golf holes I love playing at Cabra.

Totally agree with 8. My solution was to take the trees out on the right hand side up until about 150m from the green. This will give ppl an area to lay up to, but still leave them a mid to long iron into the green. It also won't affect ppl playing 15.

Having said that, they have done some subtle work on 8 clearing out some of the over hanging branches so its a lot more open then it was 12-18months ago.

3oneday
20th October 2015, 05:05 PM

Next time I'll make sure to document and film my game for you ;) In HD.underarm lob or overarm?

Film not required, unless it includes pics of the tee box ;)

Kaniss
20th October 2015, 07:18 PM
underarm lob or overarm?

Film not required, unless it includes pics of the tee box ;)

We should team up on the next Cabramatta ozgolf outing, that will be fun. Make sure you bring lots of bank notes with you, oh and you have to play off white tees though not the red ones ok. :mrgreen:

The Chopper
22nd October 2015, 02:13 PM
Mr Bluu, Each year the green staff cut back branches but the trees are required to protect players going up 2 and 15. I like the hole as you don't just hit driver there, unless you can hit it straight. I have tried most clubs, but now hit a little cut punch with my driver...it works sometimes

As for 11, who cares if the big bombers cant get there in 2 hits. 2 sensible shots and you are faced with a long narrow green with hazards all round...love it,,,

mrbluu
22nd October 2015, 02:47 PM
Mr Bluu, Each year the green staff cut back branches but the trees are required to protect players going up 2 and 15. I like the hole as you don't just hit driver there, unless you can hit it straight. I have tried most clubs, but now hit a little cut punch with my driver...it works sometimes

As for 11, who cares if the big bombers cant get there in 2 hits. 2 sensible shots and you are faced with a long narrow green with hazards all round...love it,,,

Choppa, good to see you posting ;-).

Sure the cut down a few branches here and there from time to time, but this time last year the 8th was completely covered with over hanging branches, which almost forced players to hit out onto the 15th. Now they have opened it up enough to make it a lot fairer. The trees I'm talking of cutting out on 8 would actually take driver and 3 woods out of most players hands by giving them the option of laying up, but then leaving them a challenging shot mid to long iron into a blind tee green. As you are taking driver out of ppl's hands, it makes 15 less dangerous cos there will be less stray shots.

As for 11, its a little bit of backwards thinking on your behalf. With there be so many hazards around the green, you want players having a go at the green in 2 so there is a risk reward element. This will also bring the hazard on the left hand side into play off the tee. With any good course set up you want players to be rewarded with good shots and taking on the hole. At the moment 11 is just a lay up hole which is not how it was designed.

Good job by the way of removing the trees off the tee and on the corner of 13. Much fairer hole.

The Chopper
16th November 2015, 02:40 PM
So the tress have been cut down on the corner of 11.. are you a fan??

mrbluu
16th November 2015, 02:44 PM
So the tress have been cut down on the corner of 11.. are you a fan??
Yes looks good. Wish I played it better on Sat....:-(

The Chopper
16th November 2015, 02:54 PM
to be expected playing in my company, I do intimidate choppers like you with my all round great golf skills and game... (just don't mention my double hit on the 2ft putt on 10, I was hoping no one noticed )

3oneday
16th November 2015, 03:25 PM
Is Chopper the yipper?

The Chopper
17th November 2015, 08:03 AM
Don't want to be called that, much prefer chopper

FuzzyJuzzy
21st December 2015, 06:29 PM
Played Cabra today - and wow, they've cut a shitload of trees out of the inside of the 11th! You can see where the missing trees used to be - they've carved that tree line back about 15 to 20m in places. From near the plates, I hit a solid drive, but was down the right side of the fairway and too close to the trees to have a crack. I hit an 8-iron over the corner of the trees for my second and was left with 50m to green. The members I was playing with said there's plans to put a bunker on the inside of the corner where the trees used to be, and to apparently shift the fairway over to the right, so that that big tree on the left that people would often lay up to would now be in the rough just off the edge of the fairway. They also said there are plans to broaden/enlarge the water hazard in front of the green. In any case, you're still looking at a risky shot if you take it on. I like the hole though.

FuzzyJuzzy
8th March 2016, 03:53 PM
I joined Cabra a fortnight ago and haven't looked back. Love the course layout, conditioning and hospitality. It's a fun course to play, but it's also a thinker's course that can be pretty penal if you don't hit your shots. Adjusting to the greens is taking some time - very quick, and leave your ball above the hole and you're most often up the duff.
I'm also pretty chuffed that I can leave my house and 15mins later be on the tee. Good - cos I need all the practice I can get:).

Peppas
8th March 2016, 04:46 PM
You crazy. It's only 5mins away for me. Fees are due end of this month too...

3oneday
8th March 2016, 04:52 PM
I'm free next Sunday morning early, ie 20th, if you guys are playing there.

Peppas
8th March 2016, 05:06 PM
I'm free next Sunday morning early, ie 20th, if you guys are playing there.

Yep, I'm in, lets get Binh to organise it :P

KristianJ
8th March 2016, 05:08 PM
Count me in too please. If FJ is saying that the greens are very quick, I'm keen to verify that (as long as they haven't got coring planned early next week).

Peppas
8th March 2016, 05:11 PM
Ahhh. Problem. I think coring is happening Monday 14th.

3oneday
8th March 2016, 09:55 PM
I played there last time they cored too, it's golf, if you are playing I'll play.

mrbluu
8th March 2016, 09:58 PM
I played there last time they cored too, it's golf, if you are playing I'll play.
And less chance of u 3 putting on the slow greens [emoji13]

FuzzyJuzzy
9th March 2016, 01:03 PM
Hey Lads,

Sundays are no go for me I'm afraid. But you blokes have at it.
Maybe an OzGolf day at Cabra on one of the Easter Public Holidays (which are only a fortnight away)?

Johnno
9th March 2016, 02:02 PM
I joined Cabra a fortnight ago and haven't looked back. Love the course layout, conditioning and hospitality. It's a fun course to play, but it's also a thinker's course that can be pretty penal if you don't hit your shots. Adjusting to the greens is taking some time - very quick, and leave your ball above the hole and you're most often up the duff.
I'm also pretty chuffed that I can leave my house and 15mins later be on the tee. Good - cos I need all the practice I can get:).

What made you leave Livo mate? It must feel a bit odd hitting off sand if you go in a bunker now

Kaniss
9th March 2016, 03:33 PM
Add me to the Ozgolf Easter weekend game if youse are going...

FuzzyJuzzy
9th March 2016, 04:25 PM
What made you leave Livo mate? It must feel a bit odd hitting off sand if you go in a bunker now

Just a change mate, plus I was seduced by Cabra's superior conditioning. I've been at Livo for four years and love the course, but Cabra is pretty much the same price for membership and offers a different set of challenges and pleasures to Liverpool. Not necessarily better, just different. But Cabra definitely wins in terms of condition. Both really solid courses, but solid in different ways. Plus, Cabra is 10mins closer to home for me.

Johnno
9th March 2016, 06:03 PM
Just a change mate, plus I was seduced by Cabra's superior conditioning. I've been at Livo for four years and love the course, but Cabra is pretty much the same price for membership and offers a different set of challenges and pleasures to Liverpool. Not necessarily better, just different. But Cabra definitely wins in terms of condition. Both really solid courses, but solid in different ways. Plus, Cabra is 10mins closer to home for me.

Fair enough, fairways (when I see them) have been good lately. The greens seem to be getting to much use by people who don't believe in fixing divots though, have dropped in quality the last couple of months.

The Chopper
10th March 2016, 12:57 PM
Coring on Monday 14th March

mrbluu
10th March 2016, 03:32 PM
Coring on Monday 14th March
Thanks Chopper!!!!

3oneday
10th March 2016, 04:16 PM
So what pepps said was all rubbish then?