PDA

View Full Version : Which 9?

Fishman Dan
29th October 2004, 07:40 AM
Quick quiz;

I'm trying to nick off early today, allowing a chance to get around 9 at my course. Not playing good golf lately, and searching for confidence. Do i play;

Front 9 - Easier holes, more straight up'n'downs. 2 x par 5 (wide fairways). Flat, not overly long. Good chance to discover tee-to-green golf.

Back 9 - Some trickier holes, harder tee-to-green. Risk/reward hole (11th), tougher more undulating greens, Few holes play considerably uphill, 1 downhill. If you're not on your game can ruin a round.

Would you attack the easier holes and build confidence, or take on the tough 9 - gotta get back on the horse some time!

amanda
29th October 2004, 07:47 AM
take the back 9 Fishy - if you can conquer it during a practice round (more likely than in a stressful comp), it will give you a mental advantage the next time you play that 9.

AndyP
29th October 2004, 08:06 AM
I can't believe you are running a poll for this? :roll:

I vote for the front 9. Confidence is a wonderful thing. Just don't screw it up.

Fishman Dan
29th October 2004, 08:10 AM
I can't believe you are running a poll for this? :roll:

Just thought i'd start your day with something to whinge about ;) :lol: Now shut up and vote 8)

damoocow
29th October 2004, 08:15 AM
Fishface - play the harder 9 - hit 2 balls off every tee and play only the worse one.
damooccw

3oneday
29th October 2004, 09:23 AM
I'm with G69, long game practice sucks.

Do what I do, chip 100 balls at 3 or 4 different targets, then forget about it. Get some feel man 8)

Fishman Dan
29th October 2004, 09:39 AM
I'm with G69, long game practice sucks.

Do what I do, chip 100 balls at 3 or 4 different targets, then forget about it. Get some feel man 8)

If i can get within 70-100 then i'm generally ok, it's the first 300+ metres that sucks 8)

I like Damo's suggestion, problem is which worse shot to choose from :roll:

McMw
29th October 2004, 09:57 AM
I play the F9 often becoz it's the best chance I have to finish on the weekday...
Will only ever have to play the B9 if the F9 is chockers, or we're early...

statistically, the F9 is the easier 9 for me...

Andrew
29th October 2004, 03:46 PM
This is probably too late, but if you are playing Fox Hills play the back 9, because it will not only test your game a little more, but test your putting as well.

Fishman Dan
29th October 2004, 05:19 PM
This is probably too late, but if you are playing Fox Hills play the back 9, because it will not only test your game a little more, but test your putting as well.

Well, i didn't get out early today, in fact i'm still sitting here (see the 'Job Satisfaction' thread :roll:).

This particular hit wasn't in aid of improving my game any more than 'making sure i can make the ball go forwards' - i've played some really bad golf lately, the most recent round was astonishing(ly bad). It was just a chance to hone my skills, fix-ups and confidence, so i was leaning towards play the front 9.

Onewood
29th October 2004, 05:27 PM
Well, i didn't get out early today, in fact i'm still sitting here :roll:).

I know how you feel fish :wink: same bloke pulled out on us once :lol: :lol:

markTHEblake
29th October 2004, 05:30 PM
Not quite what your asking as i cant remember the last time i only played 9 holes. Could be at least a decade or more.

My course has an easy front 9, and difficult back 9 - relatively. I would much rather play the back 9 first, then make a comeback around the front.

Play the Back 9, use 2 balls and have a competition. If ball 1 wins, you buy flowers for your wife. If ball 2 wins, you buy a 6 pack. Either way you win!

Fishman Dan
29th October 2004, 05:34 PM
Blakey - plan was to get out of work 3'ish, +/- 30 mins. Dark is about 6:45pm, so 18 would have been tight, 9 would have been the go.

Daylight savings next week, so regular trips after work (leaving at 5pm) should do nicely.

Can't do that in QLD, can you? :smt026 :smt038 :smt112

markTHEblake
29th October 2004, 06:24 PM
No, but with the sun up at 4.15am can squeeze in 18 or so before work.
Mind you i have never been awake that early in recent, except after a xmas party.

AndyP
29th October 2004, 07:30 PM
i was leaning towards play the front 9.
Considering the poll was 4-1 against this, it's good to see my opinion holds so much weight with you. :lol:

Fishman Dan
29th October 2004, 10:40 PM
Considering the poll was 4-1 against this, it's good to see my opinion holds so much weight with you. :lol:

Yeah, for the 20 or so responses there have been 6 votes :roll: But OzGolfers are known to be ruthless bastards, so sending me down the back 9 wasn't hard to see coming :lol:

No, but with the sun up at 4.15am can squeeze in 18 or so before work

I've never understood this. Last time i was up this early i hadn't been to sleep the night before.. That's just a silly idea Blakey, not even you believe that's a sensible argument.

McMw
29th October 2004, 10:42 PM
!@#k the back nine... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

played it this afternoon...shot a 42, inc an OOB 7 on the 11th... :x :x :x :x :x

sms316
12th September 2013, 12:37 PM
Go the back nine.

mrbluu
12th September 2013, 12:56 PM
Go the back nine.

A Grade Thread mining sms....

ZENNON
12th September 2013, 01:03 PM
What is it with people reviving really old threads lol

LeftyHoges
12th September 2013, 02:21 PM
Call me a traditionalist, but I see nothing wrong at all with playing the front 9.

Looney
12th September 2013, 02:55 PM
I am about to go and play the front 9 at my course so that gets my vote

backintheswing
12th September 2013, 03:03 PM
I played the back 9 yesterday. Some of the lies were tighter than normal.

LeftyHoges
12th September 2013, 03:51 PM
I played the back 9 yesterday. Some of the lies were tighter than normal.

Well played. My congratulations to the super of the course on maintaining tough but very enjoyable conditions when played correctly.

Dcanto
12th September 2013, 04:00 PM
Is the super Greek?

Hatchman
12th September 2013, 05:29 PM
Call me a traditionalist, but I see nothing wrong at all with playing the front 9.

It's better to play both 9's. Get warmed up and get your stroke going on the front 9. Then hit the back 9 with every thing you've got for a happy ending.

3Puttpete
12th September 2013, 06:06 PM
Generally the back 9 is reserved for long term members whereas most courses will let new members and even social players on the front.

Hatchman
14th September 2013, 01:51 PM
It is often possible for new members to play the back nine when the course is a bit rough.