PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 12th May

Scottt
14th May 2008, 03:16 PM
A bunch of us played Cabramatta today. A great day for golf.

I had 32. A really mixed day. Had 14 over with two triples, three doubles, three bogeys, nine pars and a birdie.

4/13 fairways, 3/18 greens, 30 putts (with three 3-putts), 8/12 up and downs and 0/2 sand saves.

Love the new HX56 in the bag, pity it has been superceded. Love the new Scotty Tei3 as well, it just suits me.

Highlight was birdieing the 435m par four third hole. Driver and 3wood to 12-15ft above the hole then rolled the putt into the heart. The "patrons" at Augusta would have gone nuts :D :D

Grunt
14th May 2008, 03:27 PM
Palyed at Cabramatta with the guys, and played as crap as I could have played, topped shots were the order of the day. Can't think of any of my game that was well played.

21 Points
5 Fairways
2 GIR
34 putts, 3 x 3 putts

Highlight for me was the hooked 9 iron from 130 out on the 9th hole, I hit the club house on the full. Should have walked to the carpark rather than the 10th tee.

Iain
15th May 2008, 12:58 PM
Played at Pacific Harbour on Tuesday, in the Harbour Master which is Black Tees, tough pins in Stableford format. Played quite well on the front 9 for 17 points, a few 1 pointers mixed in with a couple of 3's as well as a 4!! On the back, I was cruising along nicely, scoring 2 and 3 point's every hole, until I washed 16 and 17... Managed to bogie 18 for 2 points, for 16 on the back, for a total of 33...

It was a round of what could've been....

Then looked on Golflink when I got home and saw that 35 had won the day, and I was in a tie for 2nd with 3 others....:smt013 :smt021

But, on the other hand, I was very pleased how I played apart from those 2 holes, so it looks like the work is starting to pay off.

Eag's
15th May 2008, 03:08 PM
Solid round at that track Iain :smt023

dc68
15th May 2008, 03:26 PM
The "patrons" at Augusta would have gone nuts :D :D

I doubt it.......

;)

Grunt
16th May 2008, 04:17 PM
Another Crap day out playing golf, I am really struggling. Swing is all over the place. I am doing that much wrong that it is hard where to start fixing it. I am sliding my hips, I am swinging too fast, I am lifting my head. You name it and I am doing it.

Played Camden Valley this morning/afternoon.
21 points
6 Wipes
3 Fairways
1 GIR
0/10 Up & Down
0/3 Sand saves
35 Putts 1x 3 Putt, 2x 1 putts

Guess I need to practice more or give up the game for a while.

AndyP
16th May 2008, 05:52 PM
If you keep thinking about it while you play, you'll keep playing shit too.

Courty
16th May 2008, 09:55 PM
I played in a 4 ball ambrose corporate day today. We had -5 off the beater, but
with 2 single figure players our combined handicap wasn't in the same ballpark as some of the teams.
I hit some great shots, including the winning Long Drive in front of the new mayor and deputy mayor. That scored me a nice bottle of Ardbeg (http://www.aussiewines.com.au/Liquor_buyOnline.php?Liq=Ardbeg%20Isle%20of%20Isla y%2010%20Years%20Single%20Malt%20Scotch%20Whisky%2 0700ml) for my troubles. Is this stuff supposed to be any good?

Scottt
16th May 2008, 10:09 PM
It's alcoholis, isn't it?

Courty
16th May 2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah, but I don't drink Scotch Whisky. I'm trying to decide what to do with it.

Scottt
16th May 2008, 10:12 PM
You can send it to me if you like?

Jarro
17th May 2008, 06:02 AM
Yeah, but I don't drink Scotch Whisky. I'm trying to decide what to do with it.

You could always donate it as a prize for this years OzGolf Champs ?

Courty
17th May 2008, 07:25 AM
You could always donate it as a prize for this years OzGolf Champs ?

Good idea. I'll do that as long as my brothers-in-law don't find it first.

Onewood
17th May 2008, 10:01 AM
Hi all I see a couple of OLD stayers still posting away.
My golf at the new course Mackay is not going too well, Have failed to beat 83 yet
Mathew has adopted faster shooting around 75/80 mark
Mitchell is on fire winning the past 3 Friday comps. 45 off the bat yesterday for 22 points
Mitch is only .4 away from moving up into the 18 hole comps and get is AGU handicap

Jarro
17th May 2008, 10:19 AM
Hi all I see a couple of OLD stayers still posting away.
My golf at the new course Mackay is not going too well, Have failed to beat 83 yet
Mathew has adopted faster shooting around 75/80 mark
Mitchell is on fire winning the past 3 Friday comps. 45 off the bat yesterday for 22 points
Mitch is only .4 away from moving up into the 18 hole comps and get is AGU handicap

Mate, my pool pump is making a funny noise ... can you drive down and take a look at it ?

;)

Scottt
17th May 2008, 03:25 PM
Played the captains stroke event today, where the captain puts the tees and pins in horrific positions. Ours is clearly a sadist. And it blew about 30kts.

I had 71 - 10 - 61 nett, which is -1. I'm pretty happy with that. 4/8 fairways and 8/18 greens, and 34 putts.

My return to single figures will have to wait anotjher week, unless the CCR is 2 over.

sms316
17th May 2008, 04:48 PM
Birdied the last 2 at Yowani today for 1 under. It was friggin freezing.

Matt 3 Jab
17th May 2008, 04:49 PM
Played lakeside with the boys today. Hit it well!

7/14 fairways but the ones i missed i didnt miss by much.

13/18 greens

putts not sure but to shoot +3 i think i putted well with maybe 1 3 putt or none. Saved some good putts too.

jimandr
17th May 2008, 04:56 PM
Scottt, on a previous Ozgolf day at Bardwell Valley, we played the same day as their hosting of Masters Pennants. I have never played any course in all my golfing time where the pins were so difficult, on every hole. So if the pin on the last was about 8 feet from the back right corner, on what seemed like a 1 in 4 slope, I know what you are talking about.

The pins at Camden Valley were quite difficult today, but I played quite well, only to be let down by atrocious putting. 37 points was an acceptable score considering I missed 4 putts under 4 feet. I missed two on the front using a conventional grip, and two on the back using the claw grip. It was just so frustrating.

Fairways = 10 of 14, only one bad one though
Greens in reg = 8 of 18
Putts = 33, two birdies, two 3putts
Up&Down = 3 of 8

Scottt
17th May 2008, 05:36 PM
Good stuff Matt and Jim. Wish I could have rounded out the foursome.

Matt looked due on Wednesday, so I'm not surprised to see that he had 41 today.

TheNuclearOne
17th May 2008, 06:18 PM
Terribly hot and cold today, 34 points in a stable. Crap driving on the front, 2 pars and a bird for 14 points. Bogie-wipe-double on the back then 4 pars in a row, bogie then par for 20 points. Sunk 3 long putts as well as some good little testers but apart from the last 6 my overall play (excepting putts and chips) was crap. Handicap doesn't move.

Courty
17th May 2008, 09:15 PM
I either it it spectacularly good, or spectacularly bad today. 89/81 in a stroke event. :oops:

haysey
18th May 2008, 06:20 AM
Had 92/81 in the same comp as courty. Only thing good about the day was the weather

dc68
18th May 2008, 04:12 PM
Played well yeterday won the comp with 43 points and the best part was my brother having 42 in the morning field and being able to ring him and say suck shit.

Eag's
18th May 2008, 04:18 PM
Played well yeterday won the comp with 43 points and the best part was my brother having 42 in the morning field and being able to ring him and say suck shit.

Well done Dave :smt023

sms316
18th May 2008, 04:32 PM
Birdied the last 2 at Yowani today for 1 under. It was friggin freezing.

Turns out that 37 was the best score for the day, and 3 won A Grade on a countback.

Jack will be thrilled to know that Australia's worst scratch marker is now on plus 0.4.

shazza_rs
18th May 2008, 04:52 PM
Played with the gents at Nudgee today. Was a good fun round. Pity the golf was on holidays. Going through a bad patch at the moment. Hopefully i get out of it quick. I have club champs for the next two weekends. We shall see :)

jaybam
18th May 2008, 05:01 PM
Played nudgee today with good company. Played pretty well, just average finish with three bogeys in a row to finish with a 76 and 37 points. Will take that in the wind we had there today though. Look forward to playing calmer conditions the rest of the week :)

markTHEblake
18th May 2008, 05:06 PM
I like my new golf club. in 2 rounds have picked up 2 NTPs for $40 each, another voucher for $30 and 4 balls for an eagle, and am in the semi of 4bbb championship.

Bruce
18th May 2008, 05:18 PM
Swanny hosted Shaneo and myself at a member/guest day at Sanctuary Lakes. STRONG winds were smashing us all over the place; 30-50km/h for the duration of the round.

Luckily it was an Ambrose to protect us a bit from the conditions and, teamed up with another mate of Swanny's, the 4 of us combined pretty well in some testing conditions. I struggled badly off the tee with a lot of missed fairways and nearly a missed course on the 5th(?), but still got my 3 drives away without the team having to compromise too much.

5 birdies and an eagle to finish with 65 off the bat had us runner up on the day.

Well played guys and good to meet you Shane.

leighthebee
18th May 2008, 05:18 PM
Windy @ Pacific today. 82 for 33 points and only hitting 4 greens.

Grunt
18th May 2008, 05:41 PM
Sounds like a good weekend for lots of OzGolfers. Well done to all.

miro
18th May 2008, 05:52 PM
Grunt I can add to that with even Par off the stick for 40 points at a very windy RP today. A bit of luck with the course rating and that will see me back on 3.

BrisWesty
18th May 2008, 06:07 PM
well done miro.

7 holes today just before dusk (2 under hcap - so happy with that). Caught up with a couple of guys teeing off at the 8th at Caboolture, just in time for one of them to have a hole in one while the other guy is chatting on his phone (and no it wasn't in a comp)!

High 5s all round!

Scottt
18th May 2008, 06:08 PM
Good shooting Miro.

AndyP
18th May 2008, 06:27 PM
18/05/2008, Nudgee GC, Single Stableford.

8/14 effective tee-shots.
7/18 effective approaches.
3/7 up and down successes.
1/9 sand save successes (no hitlers).
32 putts.
-----------
11 pars.
5 bogeys.
2 others.
Score 40-40-80 stab 19-19-38pts (Par 35-36-71 CCR 70)

Hoozah! I broke my handicap for the first time in 7 months. It didn't really feel like I did anything special either. Just solid play for most of the round without disasters, I guess. I'll take it in that wind though.

Burglars and visitors that didn't hand their card in conspired to make it a CCR of 70, so my handicap only dropped from 10.7 to 10.5. Still off 11. :(

Next round: Sunday June 8 at Club Pelican, unless I play on the Friday at Nambour or something before it.

kev
18th May 2008, 06:35 PM
Eagle Ridge (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=eagle+ridge+golf+course&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=50.74322,82.792969&ie=UTF8&ll=-38.403345,144.8704&spn=0.011031,0.020213&t=h&z=16) today with the Mulgrave Country Club gang. They have spent $1.5 million basically replacing all the grass there, and done some work prettying(?) up a few holes. Preferred lies on all the fairways at the moment. The fairways on the front 9 have taken better than the back 9.

Started on the back 9.

Could not hit a good tee shot all day. Even went for a 7 iron on the 9th tee (more as a joke than anything) and hit that off the toe! :evil: 4 lost balls from tee shots.

The Callaway irons were about one to one and a half clubs longer than my previous irons, and that kept throwing me off too. Sweet to hit though.

Fortunately the wedges kept me in the game. Landed in 6 bunkers (one up and down) and got out of all of them in one shot :) . Thought I had nearest to the pin on the 6th (2m) and 8th (1m and birdied it!), but got beaten on both by the same guy in the group behind.

3 one putts with the rest 2 putts for a total of 33.

Ended up with 30 points. The winner on the day had 33 points, so I didn't fare too badly I guess.

leighthebee
18th May 2008, 06:39 PM
18/05/2008, Nudgee GC, Single Stableford.

8/14 effective tee-shots.
7/18 effective approaches.

What the hell is an "effective" tee shot or approach :-s

Also, I know that a Hitler is not getting out of a pot, but don't understand the analogy. :-s

Scottt
18th May 2008, 06:41 PM
How does an "effective" tee shot or approach differ from a Fairway hit or a GIR?

Scottt
18th May 2008, 06:43 PM
Also, I know that a Hitler is not getting out of a pot, but don't understand the analogy. :-s

Hitler was allegedly found, despite committing suicide, with two bullet holes in his head. And he died in his bunker - hence a "Hitler" is when you take two shots in a bunker :D

kev
18th May 2008, 06:43 PM
<snip>

2 shots in a bunker

sms316
18th May 2008, 06:45 PM
Hitler refers to going bunker to bunker. Plenty of them in WWII.

Effective is a pretty simple term. A pop sky hits the fairway, but isn't effective. Same goes for hitting a massive green, but being miles from the hole.

leighthebee
18th May 2008, 06:49 PM
ahh ok. now i'm with you (the hitler thing).

thats not bad.

still don't get effective though. your either off or on in my books, each to their own though.

AndyP
18th May 2008, 07:02 PM
sms316's description is wrong.

If you were on the fringe of a green, but close to the flag and have no doubt that you will be using a putter, isn't it effective?

leighthebee
18th May 2008, 07:14 PM
sms316's description is wrong.

If you were on the fringe of a green, but close to the flag and have no doubt that you will be using a putter, isn't it effective?

ok i thought that was what you meant. i do it differently to that

markTHEblake
18th May 2008, 07:23 PM

I have always described a Hitler as "failed to make it out of the bunker"

markTHEblake
18th May 2008, 07:25 PM

doesnt matter what it is, because the only benefit of measuring the statistics is to yourself, so as long as you are consistent with the application, the averages/trends will be meaningful to you.

AndyP
18th May 2008, 07:41 PM
I know, but I was asked to explain. I'm pretty consistent in the way I track it, although sometimes it can get into a gray area.

chappy1970
19th May 2008, 08:36 AM
Ok, so I played on Saturday in Melbourne and for those in Mel we all know that it was $h!tful weather (wet and windy). I don't get to play as often as I'd like so out I went. I played with one of my regular playing partners (the other two didn't bother) and we were joined by one the pennant players.

We got through 11 holes before pulling the pin and I was 5 down at that stage, with my reg playing partner not fairing any better. What was great was watching a golfer who is good at his craft got about it. This guy plays off 1 and under the very ordinary conditions turned 1 down, which was a fantastic result (in my book).

What was also enjoyable about Saturday was that he was a nice bloke too, happy to have a chat. A few quick tips on how to play those tricky shots along the way. I was disappointed not to have been able to complete the round, not so much for my score but to have been able to observe how he went about it.

In my experience some pennant players have a deluded perception of their importance to the club and the members, not this guy. I would jump at teh chance to have a hit with him again.

Ah but out .1, yet again.

Chappy

leighthebee
19th May 2008, 10:28 AM
In my experience some pennant players have a deluded perception of their importance to the club and the members, not this guy.

Chappy

Seems to go either way. More likely proportionate to their age. :roll:

3oneday
19th May 2008, 10:32 AM
In my experience some pennant players have a deluded perception of their importance to the club and the memberssounds like Jack ? except the pennant player bit.

:lol:

Shaneo
19th May 2008, 06:11 PM
Ok, so I played on Saturday in Melbourne and for those in Mel we all know that it was $h!tful weather (wet and windy). I don't get to play as often as I'd like so out I went. I played with one of my regular playing partners (the other two didn't bother) and we were joined by one the pennant players.

We got through 11 holes before pulling the pin and I was 5 down at that stage, with my reg playing partner not fairing any better. What was great was watching a golfer who is good at his craft got about it. This guy plays off 1 and under the very ordinary conditions turned 1 down, which was a fantastic result (in my book).

What was also enjoyable about Saturday was that he was a nice bloke too, happy to have a chat. A few quick tips on how to play those tricky shots along the way. I was disappointed not to have been able to complete the round, not so much for my score but to have been able to observe how he went about it.

In my experience some pennant players have a deluded perception of their importance to the club and the members, not this guy. I would jump at teh chance to have a hit with him again.

Ah but out .1, yet again.

Chappy

who was the pennant player chappy?

Moe Norman
19th May 2008, 06:15 PM
Saturday 16th May - Barnbougle Dunes - Forrester Tees - Single Stab

34 Points
9 Fairways
13 Greens
41 Putts

80 off the stick, so for the first time since I have started recording stats I had more putts than shots. I hit the ball beautifully most of the day except for tee shots on the opening 2 holes. Some of the putting was just hitting the ball in the wrong spot, and some was just being a retard.

Sunday 17th May - Barnbougle Dunes - Forrester Tees - Single Stroke

82 Gross
Nett 75
10 Fairways
8 Greens
37 Putts

I actually got up & down 4 times on the front 9 so I putted and chipped ok in general. I 4 jabbed the 2nd from an impossible spot, 3 jabbed the 4th after knocking my tee shot on the green and 4 jabbed the 10th from a tough spot (same spot I 4 jabbed from the previous day!)

Winds were extremely strong from about the 5th hole onwards, and as a result despite finding way more fairways than normal, my GIR stats were down significantly.

Had a fantastic weekend at a sensational course.

dc68
19th May 2008, 06:59 PM
FFs Moe get a belly or Broomy asap. Nice ballstriking anyhoo.

chappy1970
19th May 2008, 07:04 PM
Shaneo,
It was Damian Horton (the lefty)
How did you go yesterday mate?
Chappy

Shaneo
19th May 2008, 09:17 PM
Shaneo,
It was Damian Horton (the lefty)
How did you go yesterday mate?
Chappy

Great bloke is damo
We got done on the the last putt me the last hole of the last match.
We just missed out. I had 3 3 putts from about 20 feet and i lost on the last so i feel shite house.
Team had a great season though. Good on the boys.

davidp
20th May 2008, 03:15 AM
It was one of the many Malaysian public holidays here yesterday, so a few of us from the office went out for a hit at Bukit Kemuning (http://www.bkgcr.com/home1.html) golf course.

Played okay, working the rust out of my game. I seem to be hitting driver better than I have before, probably due to the shorter swing and better rotation through the ball I have now.

For the record:

10 fairways
7 greens
40 putts (ouch)
3 up and downs
8 pars
3 bogies
4 really ugly holes

Next round will be in many months time ....

leighthebee
20th May 2008, 12:07 PM
FFs Moe get a belly or Broomy asap. Nice ballstriking anyhoo.

You played Barney DC?

Those greens can be pretty brutal.

dc68
20th May 2008, 12:11 PM
No but I have played with the big fella before and I know how he can go when the confidence in the flatstick goes.

leighthebee
20th May 2008, 12:15 PM
fair enough, there's some greens that will test the flatstick confidence :-)

goonie
22nd May 2008, 08:27 PM
Had 40pts on Sat, 23 on the front 9, with 2 birdies (1 under off the stick), 17 on the back with a wash, a double bogey, a few bogeys and 2 birdies. Made a few bad decisions on the back 9 but I was very happy with the way I was hitting the ball overall.