PDA

View Full Version : What to expect? Flighted project x 6.0 to 5.0

macjackass
13th May 2008, 06:30 PM
Have purchased some j36 with flighted project x 5.0 in them and got a chance to demo one with a 6.0 in it today. Hit a long (for me) high draw with these. Very forgiving too, I found. Anyway, when I get mine with the weaker shaft will they just be higher and a bit longer with a bit more draw? What should i expect?

Jarro
13th May 2008, 06:32 PM
Dibs on the 5.0's if you don't like 'em :)

3oneday
13th May 2008, 06:39 PM
yes, I would expect so.

macjackass
13th May 2008, 06:45 PM
3oneday, I love project x flighted. Must fit my swing, I won't say my bag is set but these are going to be good.

virge666
13th May 2008, 08:02 PM
Project X are for players that have too much spin on the ball.

You will see most pro's use them as they take the spin off the longer irons.. resulting in a lower more penetrating ball flight. They are designed for people who balloon the ball. NOT HIT HIGH . . BALLOON. The difference is that you hit the ball low and it violently moves up into the air - NOT just hitting it high, that is caused by too much loft at impact or the hands are behind the ball at impact.

You usually have to be a pretty good ball striker to play these irons. Sort of like being able to hit a 4 iron 130m with no wind and spin it on a green kind of player.

Personally - they shit me to tears, if you have a bad day with Project X, you have a REAL bad day.

5.0 to 6.0 is just the softness of the tip of the shaft, like REG to Stiff, higher the number the less spin you get . . . same weight - same launch angle, same everything else.

macjackass
13th May 2008, 08:17 PM
It will interesting to see how they work out, if I hit them like I hit the demo today I will be really happy. The head is much more forgiving than the x-forged, which I guess is the main reason for the change. Mis-hits still feel ordinary but end up much better. If anyone is interested in demo-ing them they have them at eastlakes. They also have the ap1 and ap2.

virge666
13th May 2008, 08:22 PM
It will interesting to see how they work out, if I hit them like I hit the demo today I will be really happy. The head is much more forgiving than the x-forged, which I guess is the main reason for the change. Mis-hits still feel ordinary but end up much better. If anyone is interested in demo-ing them they have them at eastlakes. They also have the ap1 and ap2.

Sorry should have said - the heads are way more important than the shafts. You just tune the heads with the shafts.

macjackass
13th May 2008, 08:25 PM
Sorry should have said - the heads are way more important than the shafts. You just tune the heads with the shafts.

I think that is the stock shaft with all the irons in the j36 line up. Seems like they might be onto a winner.

glen
13th May 2008, 09:00 PM
Project X are for players that have too much spin on the ball.

You will see most pro's use them as they take the spin off the longer irons.. resulting in a lower more penetrating ball flight. They are designed for people who balloon the ball. NOT HIT HIGH . . BALLOON. The difference is that you hit the ball low and it violently moves up into the air - NOT just hitting it high, that is caused by too much loft at impact or the hands are behind the ball at impact.

You usually have to be a pretty good ball striker to play these irons. Sort of like being able to hit a 4 iron 130m with no wind and spin it on a green kind of player.

Personally - they shit me to tears, if you have a bad day with Project X, you have a REAL bad day.

5.0 to 6.0 is just the softness of the tip of the shaft, like REG to Stiff, higher the number the less spin you get . . . same weight - same launch angle, same everything else.

The 5.0 are 10 grams lighter than the 6.0

3oneday
13th May 2008, 09:56 PM
Project X are for players that have too much spin on the ball.but these are PX Flighted, I would expect the opposite result.

Nice of Macjack... not to point that out to you. ;)

Mac, when do they arrive in the pro shop :lol:

macjackass
13th May 2008, 10:07 PM
but these are PX Flighted, I would expect the opposite result.

Read the first post, I did mention that they were flighted. ;)

Have a good feeling about these, all i need is for someone to buy my cally 08 staff bag so i can get a bridgey one. ;)

virge666
13th May 2008, 10:13 PM
The 5.0 are 10 grams lighter than the 6.0

After you trim them - it is bugger all.

3oneday
13th May 2008, 10:14 PM
Read the first post, I did mention that they were flighted. ;)yep, duly noted. I doubt PX Flighted are for people who put too much spin on the pill ;)

virge666
13th May 2008, 10:23 PM
but these are PX Flighted, I would expect the opposite result.

Tour Flighted Rifles are Softer shafts in the short irons with most of the parallel tip section trimmed away. The result is a shaft with a higher bend point promoting lower ball flight. Just the opposite with the long irons. For Tour Flighted Rifles, the goal is to produce a set of clubs where the apex of each shot is the same height.

They are all still low spin - but "Matched" lower spin.

That being said . . Rifle tour flighted 3.5's are "pretty spinny" . . . but everyone seems to think that 6.0 = S300 stiffness, where as you cannot really compare the two, I won't bore you with details . . . go out and have a hit and compare for yourself. Some people suit Rifles and some people don't it all comes down to your impact alignments.

glen
13th May 2008, 10:37 PM
After you trim them - it is bugger all.

Wouldn't it still be 10 grams difference after you trim them?

virge666
14th May 2008, 12:01 AM
Wouldn't it still be 10 grams difference after you trim them?

Depends on how you trim them . . but usually it is much less.

It all depends on how much parallel tip you have left before assembly. There will be a difference - but the last set I did there was only 6 grams difference and only 4gr on the wedges by the time you got the frequency matching correct.

If you ever get the chance hunt for "Secret of the Tube" or "Understanding the tube" on google. Royal use to do courses on it back before they gave all their money to Phil.

TS
14th May 2008, 12:57 AM

I have both X-Forge and J36PC, I find them to be about equal in forgiveness. I like the slightly shorter height in the J36, but I prefer the slightly thinner top line of the X-forge. I score about the same with either club.

3oneday
14th May 2008, 07:40 AM
Anyway blah blah blah I hope you are happy together Mac 8)

macjackass
14th May 2008, 09:18 AM
I have both X-Forge and J36PC, I find them to be about equal in forgiveness. I like the slightly shorter height in the J36, but I prefer the slightly thinner top line of the X-forge. I score about the same with either club.

TS, we'll have to agree to disagree. I hit a couple right on the heel (almost shanks) and they ended up 10 yards shorter and 8 yards to the right of where I hit a good one. No way would i get the same result with the x-forged. I probably prefer the look of the x-forged but it's the result that counts.

Polymer
14th May 2008, 10:10 AM
Have purchased some j36 with flighted project x 5.0 in them and got a chance to demo one with a 6.0 in it today. Hit a long (for me) high draw with these. Very forgiving too, I found. Anyway, when I get mine with the weaker shaft will they just be higher and a bit longer with a bit more draw? What should i expect?

My question would be, if you're hitting them long with X Flighted 6.0, why would you go to 5.0?

The Project X Flighted will probably play a bit stiffer for you in the shorter irons which probably isn't a big deal and play much softer in the longer irons. IMO, the X Flighted 6.0 go from a bit stiffer than S300's in the short irons to about R300 in the long ones.

I'm sure you'll be fine with the 5.0's but if I were hitting a combination really well..not sure I'd want to mess with it..then again, we're on a golf board..that's what we do..haha..

macjackass
14th May 2008, 10:59 AM
Didn't have a chance to demo them first so i thought better to go too soft than too stiff.