PDA

View Full Version : Job Satisfaction

Eag's
29th October 2004, 02:31 AM
Just wondering how many of you guys and gals are happy with the jobs and careers you have :?:

I myself work at a hospital as a nursing orderly, been doing this for about 3 years now. It can be a very rewarding job at times because I get to look after people when they are unwell and most of the time I get to see them head home again.
Other days can be rough as I have to deal with death and people suffering. This can really wear you down over time and I can head home somedays really down :(

I have always worked in positions where I am in contact with the general public. I have been employed in the Hospitality industry (8 years) owned my own cleaning Franchise (4 years) and now here at the hospital.

I have reached the point where I need a change of direction in my working life. I have had a keen interest in Computers for a few years now and a lot of my mates are in the I.T. industry. So I decided to pursue a career in I.T. and have been studying for the last 6 months or so to get my Certifications. Specificly trying to get Microsoft certified MCP 70-210 & 70-215

I realise the odds are stacked against me to break into this field so late in life, but I will give it my best :wink: I would just like to use my brains rather than my braun for once in my life :smt024 :smt045

Anyways enough early morning ramblings from me :oops:
I would be intrested in your thoughts :)

BrisVegas
29th October 2004, 07:05 AM
Just wondering how many of you guys and gals are happy with the jobs and careers you have :?:

I still don't kow what I wanna do for a crust... You know, my "true calling". I work in IT by default, as it was one of the easiest courses to get into at uni (in 1992) and there were plenty of jobs around at the time. I didn't know what else to do after missing out on an aircrew place in the RAAF. I probably should have put more thought into it, as I am now trapped in a career which does not interest me in the slightest. My job satisfaction is pretty low. I can't get motivated to do more than I need to in this type of work, it just doesn't excite me. Some of the geeks I work with though.... crikey! Tthey could prattle on for hours about this, that and the other. It always make me feel a little sad when I hear people I work with say how they always wanted to be a computer programmer or whatever...

I think you have to work out what really interests you and what you have some natural ability in... I realise now that I have a real interest in design, architecture and built environment. In hindsight, I probably should have done drafting or architecture etc.. I remember that I aced graphics/tech drawing at school, but was just too stupid to realise that there was a decent career in it. I have a real eye for detail and can visualise quite well. Trouble is.... Architecture is 4 years full time at uni, plus a couple of years as a cadet on crappy money. I'm at the point where I can't afford to change careers due to my level of financial commitments.

Damn.. I'm depressed now. Thanks Richard! :cry:

Thank God for GOLF!! :roll:

damoocow
29th October 2004, 07:29 AM
I love my job teaching Drama but really do not like kids - I wonder if that is a problem ?
damoocow

Kee
29th October 2004, 07:52 AM
Crikey Vegas. I think we may have something in common there. I wanted to be a draftsman, architect or accountant during high school. I too was too short sighted when selecting Uni courses and saw the 6 years needed for architecture as too long. I just wanted to get out to work and earn. I had a couple of friends who were doing IT while I was still in high school and they encourage me to go to the field and it seemed interesting at the time.

Started an IT degree in 1993, didn't mind the 1st year, 2nd year, I started to hate it and wanted to change to business. Parents encourage me to stay on for 1 more year to get the degree and then decide to move to something else. Got the degree and didn't want to study anymore. I applied for the RAAF and went through to the 3rd stage but got another job offer during that time which I excepted.

Actaully enjoyed my IT job for years and it helped that I have tried many different things in IT, and was able to travel to most parts of Eastern Australia. Started off in helpdesk, then to NT admin, then on to Lotus Notes admin and development and now SAP, Unix, and Oracle admin. But I'm now getting to the stage where I'm feeling stale and not giving 100% during work. I was thinking about going back to Uni to do Law, but can't afford to leave my job for financial reasons (freaking mortgage). Although, I'm trying to motivate myself to study for the SAP certification in hope that will get my satisfaction up.

Fishman Dan
29th October 2004, 08:02 AM
Eags - I don't mean to scare you, but after 10 years in the IT industry i still think that it isn't a fantastic career path (keep reading - it's not all doom and gloom). I'm sitting at my desk doing what i am good at doing, but it's not really what i enjoy.

I look after the infrastructure for a business in Sydney, as well as run the Helpdesk. I'm a fan of the Helpdesk work, i've got 40 remote salesmen who have NFI about PC's, and it's good to be able to help them as well as chat regularly. They are all vets and farmers, different walks of life etc.

I'm not MS certified, i don't rate the certification process. I have worked with too many MCSE's that have no idea what they are doing in 'the enterprise' (not a spaceship, Trek-nerds). As long as you can apply your new skills to a 'live' situation, you will be right - i.e. rebooting a server can fix a problem, but you cannot simply reboot a server during the middle of the day without threatening your own existance!

I know what i know from the school of 'Trial and Error' - with basic problem-solving skills you can fix/break any situation, the best way to learn anything. Doing the sexy stuff in IT (building/reconfiguring/migrating servers, networks, applications etc) can't happen during daylight hours, a lot of it is spent working around the business needs - so plenty of late nights and mis-spent weekends.

This is coming from a guy who is (as of today) completing a migration from an NT 4 network to Active Directory (including all application servers, and an upgrade from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2k). I'm stuffed, and as per my 'Front or back 9' thread - i've put in a lot of hours this week but it's always rewarding to complete a project like this. It's been stressful (even a little 'political? :roll:) in between.

andylo
29th October 2004, 08:07 AM
I have been working, studying and working again in I.T. as software developer for last 14.5 years.

I love the nature of the people in this field... lazy, deadline always got push back, very unresponsible, talk something only he can understand! :lol:

But I am working on to moving toward a direction which leads me to a management level.

If god let me choose again, I probably will do accounting (because the girls in accounting campus are prettier) but in general I don't hate my job.

I believe if I look hard enough I will find something more interesting to study and work on... but no matter what I am still working for someone so what the hell.

I like to own my own business that makes real money 1 day, that will gives me the most satisfication I can get. :D

AndyP
29th October 2004, 08:30 AM
I work to live, not live to work. Unfortunately, my company has an American culture, so they tend to work the other way sometimes. However, in the last few months the attitude has started to change.
I like to leave at 4 on Fridays, I don't want overtime, and I don't like giving work my weekends. 8)

I used to work in an accounts section in the public service, very easy work, good pay, even better if I performed higher duties. But the work just wasn't challenging enough, and I became bored sh*tless. :smt015

Decided to get a job using my Electronic Engineering degree. Took me 8 years to get that damn piece of paper (4 year degree), and I wanted to see what I could do with it. I'm not convinced that I have made the right career choice, but I am giving it a crack.

I've been at this company for 18 months now, doing bits and pieces and working in supporting roles, and the job satisfaction level has been up and down a lot.
After coming back from my Canberra trip, I have settled into a proper engineering job. And have just recently been offered a permanent position. (It knocks you around a bit being a temporary employee in the workforce for over four years. Stability would be nice.)

So things are on the up, and I expect the Job Satisfaction level to start rising. [-o<

Fishman Dan
29th October 2004, 08:33 AM
I like to leave at 4 on Fridays, I don't want overtime, and I don't like giving work my weekends. 8)

Not to mention you have over 2100 posts on this golf forum :lol: :lol:

wavemaker
29th October 2004, 08:38 AM
i love my job as a stay at home dad. as long as i have all my jobs for the day done or postponed i can fish or play golf or whatever. i used to work in construction and 20 years ago that was a great thing to do. i worked outside doing really different things. worked as a rigger erecting the flagpole on the new parliament house. also i worked on the national gallery and i get a real buzz every time i walk in there thinking how i was 22 when we layed the carpark beams. i drove tower cranes for a few years and they are great fun to operate.also worked in the north sea for a while. but things changed in the late 80s. the workers became more selfish and less inclined to help others out. then the bosses got their tails up with all the workplace reforms and they could sense that a lot of the blokes would do anything for a $ so they started making longer hours the norm and squeezing out the blokes who would try to uphold the safety standards. thats when i got out, its a shit of an industry now. i also managed 10 years as a professional fisherman but i had to flick that once my environmental concience kicked in. sometimes i miss those really big paychecks but all in all i'm as happy as a pig in poop.

drunken
29th October 2004, 08:46 AM
One of the things I like about this site. You old guys always make me feel young :lol:

I finished school two years ago. Started studying a Bachelor of Sport Tourism Management at Uni. The course was so boring I deferred after the first semester. In hindsight I should have done the course I originally planned to. A double degree (4 years) in IT/Accounting.

I scored a Job at Rae's On Watego's in Byron Bay. http://raes/com.au One of the top boutigue Hotels in the world. Worked there for a year as 'Junior'. Basically ran the Hotel myself for two days of the week. I resigned about 6 weeks ago & am now jobless & not haaving much luck finding anything else. :?

BrisVegas
29th October 2004, 08:53 AM
Kee - we definitely need to get together over a few drinks for a chat. We've had a lot of common experiences. I actually started IT in 1993, as I did a year of law via articles at Goondiwindi in 1992. I liked the social side of it all, but hated the study. Gave it the arse after a year. I kinda fell into law as well. I hadn't really made plans beyond the RAAF (all my family was in the military), so didn't really have a plan B. I got the law prize at school, and got offered work at a firm of solicitors. Seemed like a good way of getting out of home and making some (pitiful) money. After I quit articles & law, I headed back to my parents place with my tail between my legs, so to speak. I had a cousin who did IT and she worked at Dept. of Defence in Canberra, so that sounded pretty cool. Had a few job offers at the end of IT at uni, but chose to go to QRail in Brisbane as it sounded pretty cruisy.

The best thing about IT was that I met my wife at work at QR. Mind you, I had to be quick, as that sly dog choppa was on the prowl too. We ended up heading overseas with our SAP skills. That kept the interest level up for a few more years, mostly due to the travel and golf! The work itself was always mundane.

IT is one of those careers that is becoming less and less glamorous. Hours are getting longer and the pay has declined. Tradespeople make better money that IT now.... Man, if only I'd known that 10 years ago!!

As AndyP said.... I work to live. I'm not too old to change careers again.... just gotta sort out the finances....

davidp
29th October 2004, 08:58 AM
What is it about this board and I.T. freaks? :P

I also work in the I.T. industry.

Started life in hospitality, working my way up to restaurant manager in a 4.5 star restaurant in Melbourne. Couldn't stand the hours, loved the people contact. Made outrageous money for a 20 year old. Left after 3 years

Left to go and work for a bank. WTF? Stable hours, just starting a serious relationship with my now wife. Met some of the biggest dropkicks who stood by the 14,000 pages of rules that exist in banking. Definitely not my thing. Left after 3 years

From there, went to work in the telco industry starting in customer service, winding up in corporate sales. I wasn't a pushy enough salesperson apparently, and left. Left after 5 years

Became a credit analyst working for a bank. It was better 2nd time round, but still not what I wanted to do. Left after 2 years.

Went to work in the I.T. industry as a software developer with no software development experience. Nearly blew my head off after 6 mths, but stuck at it. Moved into a training / writing role. Been here for 4 years. I enjoy it but need more people exposure. Hence, I sit here and meet people virtually... :lol:

The search continues...

AndyP
29th October 2004, 09:02 AM

Number of posts is inversely proportional to Current Job Satisfaction. ;)

Bruce
29th October 2004, 11:02 AM
I work in IT by default....... I didn't know what else to do after missing out on an aircrew place in the RAAF.

SNAP!!

I won the Sir Richard Williams Scholarship and then flunked the eye test. Went from hot-shot officer candidate to standing on a street corner wondering wtf to do next in about 20 mins. I handled it badly.

I sat the APS exam and got a job at DSS (now Centrelink) processing fortnightly dole forms. It only took a couple of months to display more aptitude in supporting the local IT stuff than the person who was employed to fill that role. She hated it - I liked it and so we swapped jobs.

I work in IT because I'm good at it but I'm feeling a bit out of place lately. When I started there was a bit more art to it, now it is a discipline. I've been writing a lot lately and the energisation I get from that is fantastic. Getting paid to write sketches is fantastic (even if you didn't personally like EAGLE AND EVANS - I still think we did a pretty good show. Episode 1 was a dud because it had to me be made 6 weeks before we finished writing the series. If it comes back give it another try the last 4 are much better than the first 4).

If I were a single man I might think about packing it in and giving professional comedy a RHG. But with wife and two kids I can't afford to give up my wage slave status. Dreams of freedom are linked to the occasional $10 splurge on a powerball ticket.

Eag's
29th October 2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the responses people, :) some very intresting reading.

BrisVegas
29th October 2004, 01:43 PM
I work in IT by default....... I didn't know what else to do after missing out on an aircrew place in the RAAF.

SNAP!!

I won the Sir Richard Williams Scholarship and then flunked the eye test. Went from hot-shot officer candidate to standing on a street corner wondering wtf to do next in about 20 mins. I handled it badly.

Yeah I know what you mean. I got through the board and the psych and coord test etc... They only knocked me back on a marginal referral from my dermatologist. I guess they considered me a slightly higher cancer risk, based on my fair skin and moles etc.. They offered me pretty much any other role except aircrew. I figured if it wasn't aircrew, why join?!! :roll:

Like you, I really didn't handle it very well. I moaned about the unjustness of it all blah blah blah. I later joined the Army Reserve and went through officer training. Having the benefit of hindsight, I'm glad I never gave my body and mind over to the military. Not that there's anything wrong with the military, mind you... :lol:

claydog
29th October 2004, 02:56 PM
Guys,Guys,Guys,
What's with all the IT stuff? I myself started a trade in 1984 in Retail Butchery (long 4 yrs,very little money)worked in the meat industry for 10yrs until longer hours for no more pay through industrial reforms in 1995.Left that job and found work in the coal industry,where I have been ever since.The hours are long,but the rosters good,pay is ok and the safety standards are rising to standards higher than they have ever been.I believe what Wavemaker said would bee as close to the truth as you'll ever get.Good call mate! So job satisfaction as an underground miner,well it's more of the standard to which we work and putting your faith in your workmates than satisfaction.A good day is when we all go home safe and we've had lots of good days,but it only takes one bad day to turn that all around.So yes!,Job satisfaction must be there or I wouldn't be studying to become a Mine Deputy.Cheers,Craig

Andrew
29th October 2004, 04:05 PM
Don't worry, you IT guys make the world go round. :lol:

I don't want to gloat, but I have job satisfaction.

All I ever wanted to be was a professional musician & composer, which is what I have been doing for the last 21 years, since I was 17.

It's allowed me to see alot of the world, meet alot of people & run my business the way I want. When I wanted to settle down, I was able to tour less, teach a bit & work a few days a week with the muso's & singers at the church we go to.

I still complain, but my wife always reminds me that I get paid for what most do as a hobby. That puts me in my place, so I walk back into the studio to do more work.

Eag's - if IT is what you want then do everything you can to do it.

Never be scared of change, only the inability to change.

markTHEblake
29th October 2004, 05:53 PM
I worked for a bank for 15 years, and then got into a midlife crisis. Gave that career away and pursued my dream career IT. Worked Helpdesk for nearly 5 years, but what started out to be a senior and challenging role was bit by bit being reduced to a common phone monkey. I was realistically getting paid almost twice what i was worth, and much more than the managers i was reporting too.... So midlife crisis again.

midway through an IT Diploma and MCSE certs, i gave the IT path away and returned to finance, working for myself as a Mortgage Broker from a home officee. The hours are crap, (24/7) but i can do what i want, when i want.

I swear I will never work for anybody else again, at worst Contract only. In fact i have a couple of IT contract jobs lining up, and a dozen or so casual clients anyway. Nice little casual earners here and there help the golf expenses fund.

Anyone in IT or contemplating it, go and get yourself a book called "From Serf to Surfer", to learn how in IT to work for yourself and make much more money, and then read "Rich Dad Poor Dad".

Poor people work for Rich People.

Rich smart People employ poor dumb people who can do the job better than themselves.

Get Smart!

davidp
29th October 2004, 07:04 PM
Rich Dad, Poor Dad is a great book to learn how to make money from a zero capital base. Nice call Blakey.

But, more important than reading the book is putting it into action...

That's the secret.

Eags, pursue your dreams with your eyes and mind open. After all, we all dream of shooting a sub-par round one day...

Ducky
29th October 2004, 07:11 PM
I want to become good at something I enjoy doing.

I can't stand the thought of being a web designer longer than a few years.

:shock:

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Ona
29th October 2004, 08:13 PM
yea I read Rish Dad, Poor Dad.. cant remember much of it exept that in many ways my dad is exactly like the "Poor Dad"., well that and I can recall being excited about all the ways I was gonna get richer than Scrooge McDuck #-o

Just had the graduation ceremony for my BCOM that was completed mid year. Lost interest in the field half way thru the course and am now unemployed. This thread has been a good read for me, learned (again) that it wont be the end of the world if I get a job that isnt perfect, seems theres always something else to try...so... what am I waiting for :smt102

AndyP
29th October 2004, 08:22 PM
I read "Rich Dad Poor Dad", and was inspired afterwards. Don't think I applied too much though.
I just couldn't accept the idea of not owning your own home.

Jarro
29th October 2004, 08:24 PM
i work as a part-time porn star.

pay is OK, plenty of overtime if you want it .. and all the coke you can snort 8)

i love my job.

damoocow
29th October 2004, 09:41 PM
Jarro , I thought you had given up making those gay porno's - are you still hard up for cash now that the arse has dropped out of the R7 market - just go easy and don't swallow, whatever you do.
damoocow

Ona
29th October 2004, 09:43 PM
just go easy and don't swallow, whatever you do.
damoocow I hear you learnt that the hard way.. poor bloke :twisted:

damoocow
29th October 2004, 09:59 PM
damn pubes
damoocow

Jarro
30th October 2004, 04:04 AM
Jarro , I thought you had given up making those gay porno's - are you still hard up for cash now that the bum has dropped out of the R7 market - just go easy and don't swallow, whatever you do.
damoocow

haven't been required to do any "money shots" yet .... i think it's because i refuse to take off my R7 cap :roll:

goughy
30th October 2004, 06:40 AM

Ive done about everything. Worked in a squah centre, a sports centre, I've been a cleaner, worked in bottle shops and bars, pro-shop, I've collated books for a printer, worked at myers, even waitered for 2 days. I sold computers (with little to no computer knowledge or training) for a company some of you brissie guys may remember called dataquip. They were ripping everyone off (including staff) and after 2 months when I learned of it I got out of there.

I've also been to and quit uni twice. I've completed all my major and core units for a double major in media and communications. I left it with only 4 or 5 option units left to get the degree :shock: . I just hate studying things I have no interest in.

I then did an apprenticeship in furniture upholstery (if you really feel like making no money at the age of 25, apprenticeships are the way to go :wink: ) and now own my father-in-laws business. I still probably need another 4 or 5 years to really find my feet and get ahead. With lots of personal stuff happening over the last few years it would really have been great to have a 9-5 where you can just switch off at the end of the day. Sometimes it feels like a real mistake at the mo, but looking down the track and at the bigger picture it will all pan out to greater things in time. And that is what I was looking at the day I asked to do the apprenticeship (8 years ago now).

It's a strange trade in that it really takes many years to become really good at it. I've been in it 8 years now and some things still catch me out. I figure at about 15 years I'll be crash hot. When I first went to training I couldn't believe how poor the standard of many of the app's was, even after 2 or even 4 years. Most were employed in factories and didn't even know what a seat spring looked like. They really freaked, because at the end of the day they were getting the same piece of paper as me and I wouldn't let them re-cover my dog's cushion :lol: .

Anyway, it's a huge learning curve for me. We bought the business 4 years ago (the day after I finished my apprenticeship). I had no business training etc etc. Just took over. I've made a ton of mistakes, had zero funds etc etc but am still here whinging about it so I must have done something right somewhere. And every day I am still learning something new. I just can't wait for the next 5 years to be over.

And that's my thesis :P

Andrew
30th October 2004, 08:21 AM
Books like 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' are all good and well, but I believe it is as simple as doing something you love. If you are doing something you love you will be successful. Whatever success means to you.

Don't forget, wealth is relevant. All of us, (yes all) on this forum are in the top 5% of richess people in the world.

Iain
30th October 2004, 12:07 PM
I finished school in 97, didn't really want to do a uni/tafe degree, but pressure from the olds, and I ended up getting into electrical engineering at Tafe, only really stuck with it for about 6 months, left after 9 months, I was unemployed for a few months, and get into some course for retail, and it turns out that they were going to be training trainees for QLD Rail, and managed to get into that, started at Toowong, finished the traineeship after 9months and got offered a permanent postion, then worked on the staions between Milton and Sherwood as I was needed, then applied for a promotion to Station Officer at Nerang, got that, I was there for 2 years and then applied for the guards postition, got it and been there since July last year.

I'm happy where I am, the pay is great, I like the shift work, only bad thing is some of the feral's that we have to deal with out there, and there are plenty of the little F@@#ers, spitting and throwing crap.

But get to see some good sites, especially around summer time down at the coast stations..... :wink:

Iain

Flowergirl
4th November 2004, 08:47 AM
I've wanted to be a florist since I was 18 - and it took me a while to do what I really wanted. I worked in a bank until I had my daughter - then my husband and I bought our first business together. It was a garden supplies - hard work - but fun. Then we bought a service station with a small workshop which we ran together for 10 years. During this time I also did a lot of acting work - some professional - but not enough. Also went back to my acting school as a teacher. Loved the work - but the money sucked!!

A friend owned a florist shop and was wanted to get out of it so I thought "what the heck" I'll buy it. I hadn't had any previous experience but I had good staff to back me up.

I would make more money if I worked for someone else - but I've worked for myself for too long to start taking orders now! My job is very flexible - my two part time girls are wonderful. I look after them and they look after me.

However when it is quiet and I'm here by myself - I do get lonely. Never bored but I do miss the company of fellow workmates.

That's why I love you guys. :wink:

drunken
2nd March 2006, 03:46 PM
Time to dig up another one...

I'm starting a new job on Monday as a Finance Officer with the Local Council. Part of which means going back to Uni to see if I can last longer than a semester this time. So I will be doing a Bachelor of Business (Major Accounting & Finance) part time for the next 4-5 years. Looking forward to regular hours and weekends which I haven't had since Year 11 at school.

connico
2nd March 2006, 03:48 PM
Coolies, uni isnt that hard, just relax and drink alot...thats uni

amanda
2nd March 2006, 03:56 PM
I love seeing those students at the Exclusion Panel (where they are going to be expelled from the uni :))

Drunken - just remember that it's a marathon - not a sprint! Regular efforts will pay off a lot better than the last-minute panic-cram.

AndyP
2nd March 2006, 03:58 PM
I always crammed, and I got my piece of paper. Let's not mention how long it took me.

connico
2nd March 2006, 04:07 PM
i crammed, it took me the allotted time and i did 194 credit points and only needed to do 164 :)

amanda
2nd March 2006, 04:09 PM
Depends on the uni & degree I suppose - the average-intelligence student who hasn't regularly attended lectures, tutorials or completed homework has probably a 15% chance of passing the last 2 subjects in the accounting major at UTS.

I love being a ***** :twisted:

Moe Norman
2nd March 2006, 04:12 PM
I hated University, but loved the years I spent enrolled in uni!

I went to UQ on and off from 1999-2004. I changed degrees several times and finished with Bachelor of Business with a Marketing and IR major. Bachelor of Arts with Media & Political Science Major and a Bachelor of Economics majoring in Econometrics. So you could easily cal me over qualified! Having said that, I honestly believe I learnt nothing at University and can unequivocally state that I didn't enter a lecture hall at all except for an exam beyond 1999.

Whilst at Uni I worked as a bar Manager and also worked in the Pro Shop at Indooroopilly. Throughout that period I was also pursuing a professional Rugby career and travelled extensively for both enjoyment,work and also for Rugby contracts in NZ, Ireland and Japan.

After I graduated from Business but was still completing my other two degrees I started working for Heineken in their sponsorship division, I lasted there a few months before moving to Suncorp whereI worked in the sponsorship and marekting division prior to, during and for a few months after the 2003 World Cup. Once the excitement of the big event finished, the work became boring and I quit without another job to go to, but with my last delusional shot at Rugby which lasted a 4 month pre-season before a knee injury 5 minutes into the first trial match.

I sat on my **** for a few months working in a bottleshop recovering from the op and then picked up and went on my last oerseas adventure throughout Asia before returning to Brisbane to settle down.

Since my return, I've got married and settled into a job as the Victorian Advertising & Marketing Manager for a large property developer. The job is ok, but is fast becoming stale and I'll be moving within thenext 6 months to something more exciting or perhaps starting my own company with some of the ideas I have. The mian reason I'm currently unhappy with my role, is because I've been promoted quite rapidly, almost against my will and the workload is becoming rediculous and as peope hve stated, I'd prefer to work to live, not live to work. at the moment I'm bordering on the latter and it's getting worse.

not to mention the baby is due in September so I'd prefer not to be interstate 2 weeks a month and get home before 8pm.

drunken
2nd March 2006, 04:14 PM
I've always been a crammer....Trying to rectify my ways, and do more regular study. I've never failed anything, when I was at uni if I'd studied I have turned a Distinction into a HD and a few credits into Distinctions..But, you get out what you put in. The way it seems though I'll get at least an hour a day at work to study which is handy.

amanda
2nd March 2006, 04:15 PM
drunken - a lot of business courses use the same books - when you get your text list, email me a list of the accounting books and I'll see if I can get some of them for you.

drunken
2nd March 2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks amanda. I'll let you know, I should have it all tomorrow... I think the council is going to pay for all my fees & associated costs. But I'll let you know if they don't :)

Moe Norman
2nd March 2006, 04:24 PM
nowhere on my degree's does it say what my GPA was and I've never been asked by a potential employer. So the theory 4's open doors and 3's get degrees rings true for me!

AndyP
2nd March 2006, 04:26 PM
nowhere on my degree's does it say what my GPA was and I've never been asked by a potential employer.
Thank f*** for that! I'd be screwed otherwise. I had to dodge two exlcusion letters.

I blame women. Well.....one in particular.

connico
2nd March 2006, 04:37 PM
mum?

AndyP
2nd March 2006, 04:44 PM
mum?
No, I'm talking about my wife.

miro
2nd March 2006, 04:59 PM
Mmm pretty happy with work. Work in a great place, great people, relaxed and fun. Chartered accountant by qualifications if you go way back but have been in the property industry for 13 or 14 years. Why? it just happened that way. It has been a good decade in property.

Now I spend lots of time managing a smallish team (15 people), advising on tricky deals, lending some experience when needed and not having to worry to much about the details. All things considered things are pretty good. I didn't plan to be where I am but I am not complaining.

brad
2nd March 2006, 05:08 PM
I'm sort of the same, chartered accountant by qualification but manage IT and business projects for a living for a multinational company. I actually really enjoy my job, but I also work to live. I would much rather be playing golf each day and still getting the pay check, or even half of it

I never really crammed at Uni and didn't really study heaps either. I guess I was one of the lucky ones that could read something and remember it for long enough to then forget and go to the next thing.

brad
2nd March 2006, 05:11 PM
nowhere on my degree's does it say what my GPA was and I've never been asked by a potential employer. So the theory 4's open doors and 3's get degrees rings true for me!

My first job they cared about my scores since it was a cadetship after 1 year of uni, but since then I've been head hunted and not needed to prove much at all.:-D

Moe Norman
2nd March 2006, 05:30 PM
My gpa turned out ot be 5.3 anyway, but that was boosted by straight 7's in all my electives.

chappy1970
2nd March 2006, 05:58 PM
Another IT worker here, can't say I agree entirely with this. I was a sparky for 8 years before jumping ship to IT. No way I could get the money I'm making now as sparky unless I wanted to work 18 hours a day.

Haven't regretted the move for 1 second

Chappy

IT is one of those careers that is becoming less and less glamorous. Hours are getting longer and the pay has declined. Tradespeople make better money that IT now.... Man, if only I'd known that 10 years ago!!

Grunt
2nd March 2006, 06:01 PM
Well as most of you know I am a licenced aircraft maintenance engineer for QANTAS.
I have been there ever since school, now going on 17 years. I still enjoy the challenges that the QANTAS International fleet (747/767/Airbus A330) will throw at you with the pressure of aircraft departure meaning I (with others) have to get it serviceable 2 hours before scheduled departure. The job can vary from changing a worn out tyre (30 min max) to changing an engine (8-10 hours).
Also with my licence I am getting paid a little more to justify for the fact that I am accountable for the servicablity of any item on that aircraft that I have certified as serviceable. The licence was part of a 3 month detailed training course on the 747-400 series aircraft (the jumbos with the winglets) plus having to give CASA (govt. dept.) a schedule of experience of over 300 hours on that particular aircraft type.
In short if a 747-400 happens to have a crash or accident that was deemed to be an engineering error I can go to Gaol.

macleod
2nd March 2006, 07:03 PM
hmmmm.... you guys should grab a copy of the art of happiness at work by the dalai lama. seriously..as a buddhist he's always worth more than your time on this planet.

i picked a degree i wanted to do only becuase i missed out on law by one OP point. ended up at a uni i didn't want to go to with all my mates at QUT/UQ and after living in a rat-infested part-mechanics workshop and working as a trolley boy/furit and veg guy at ashgrove found my ability to study becoming lax. 2 hours each way to get to uni didn't help...too much time with myself i think....

anywho, ended up not going at all in my second semester (due partly to buying a shiny 14.4k modem and entering the world of pirate BBS') and flunked out in spectacular fashio after getting all 6/7's in my first semester. twas my first brush with mental illness and what a doozy (drugs didn't help).

went home, straighten my **** out, worked fulltime in my parents business whilst also doing 40 hours a week at woolies and went to USQ at hervey bay to try and get back into Uni in brissie.

worked out fine after a lot of pleading but i still should have thought harder. cruised in first year on Res drinking and partying with the 'young uns', met wife, etc. (ahhh those were a sweeet 2 years). shaped up under her tutelage and moved up the studies a notch.

got my bachleor in internal business, maj marketing, diploma market research and export management.

Got a job right off the bat at a software developer in Milton, so entered 3.5 years of heel, bullying and 50 hour weeks which spat me out very unhappy and maladjusted after that time...but with a redundancy! woohoo! invested heavily.

got a job with Gartner the next day i got 'let go with 2 hours to get the F out of the building".

spent a Loooooooong time trying to move up the ladder there, but had a grat team. unf i treated the job as a hard effort 'bludge' ie. work really hard and overachieve but didn't get back to study or try for other jobs...so my skills really declibved ie. too long out of Uni related type of work.

moved up a few rungs, but was never really satsifed due to more 'episodes' and house moves. wife was doing very well and then Sept 11 came and the beginning of the end for my team arrived. worked towards a redundancy, trained new guys in India, went oseas. mre unemployment and episodes (including working for ISG again).

Got screwed over in some new contracts after being "guaranteed" a permanent job again at Gartner in 2005. mega screw over..back injury, reaalllly bad stuff happened to me, dropped out of sight as few may remember.

Got this govvie thing and loving working hard, but getting my life and time back.

No more working from home wireless net cat and golf fun (which was tres sweet at Gartenr for 3 years) but work is on my terms now, no more 60 hour weeks as with workgin from home.

have a few special long term plans hatching....mmmmmmm bellissimo xie xie!

AndyP
2nd March 2006, 07:26 PM
hmmmm.... you guys should grab a copy of the art of happiness at work by the dalai lama. seriously..as a buddhist he's always worth more than your time on this planet.
I got halfway through it.

terryand
2nd March 2006, 07:29 PM
I got halfway through it.

i might wait for the movie:smt002

Terry.

AndyP
2nd March 2006, 07:31 PM
Did you hear that Tom Hanks has got the part of the Dalai Lama?

Webster
2nd March 2006, 07:41 PM
I'm a part time adult movie star.

connico
2nd March 2006, 08:26 PM
well i guess everyone is telling thier story...so i guess ill tell mine..

Started work at 14 for mac'ers Didnt last very long as i dont really like working for others...Started my own business installing maintaining computers got help from my sister when i was 16 and expanded with a few guys from uni, they had the technical knowledge and i had the ability to convence ppl that needed computers. Got into selling restate and pos and started installing for small - medium size business...

During then i was still at school and working hard to get into uni. When i finished year 12 i was 17 and i either had to decide to go to uni to keep at my business... i did the dumb thing and sold my business to Harris technology, they needed an install and maintainence section and instead of building one from scratch they brought mine out for peanuts...i made something of it but well i think i could have taken that small company along way...like jack said...you can only fail..

Entered uni...very dissatisifed...so started an online business, i had three at one time running concurrently with each other... i ended up selling one to a photographer as it website that sold fotos and he offered me way more than it was worth, again i made the wrong decision...

Regardless iv been working contract since i left uni as a system admin and a junior project manager, they call it a junior project analysis..but i wont get into it... IT isnt as glorified as it used to be, but there is still plenty of dollars to earn... but i know that running your own business is alot of satisfying, currently im very unhappy with work, but im trapped as i cant find a new idea for a business... one day...i still program and consult for others but only as a hobbie and to keep on my contacts but work like that has dried up... big IT firms and small-medium consultants have flooded the market, the service industry is where the money is...but there are two many people out there...

macleod
2nd March 2006, 08:29 PM
Did you hear that Tom Hanks has got the part of the Dalai Lama?

well it was pat morita until..........

macleod
2nd March 2006, 08:30 PM
i might wait for the movie:smt002

Terry.

the end is the beginning mate ;)

3oneday
2nd March 2006, 09:10 PM
I got halfway through it.I got halfway through his first paragraph.....

:lol:

macleod
2nd March 2006, 09:13 PM
I got halfway through his first paragraph.....

:lol:

hey, all you need to know is this, and it's my philosophy.

Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they will....

has worked for a long time with all the pathetic whiteanting *****iness you get in pseudo-nepotistic companies ;) the guy knew his ****

Andrew
2nd March 2006, 09:14 PM
I absolutely love what I do for a living & would still be doing it even if I didn’t get paid. I have been a professional musician for 22 years now, since I was 17. I have a B.mus (Music degree), B.Th (Theological degree), A.mus.A (Associate of music), Dip.Min (Diploma in Ministry). I work for myself with my major source of income being as a music composer signed with Warner/Chappell. This involves composing (& sometimes recording) movie & documentary scores. I also teach guitar, as well as being hired by a church to work with their musicians & singers.

I have never had a normal job, as I started playing professionally while I was in year 11. I spent most of my 20’s touring throughout Europe & the States in various heavy metal/rock bands including Mortal Sin, Europe, TNT, Onslaught, Whitesnake & Outcry. Finally getting sick of the life, I decided to settle down & concentrate on my composing, as well as having input into others lives through teaching & pastoral work.

I have just finished composing & recording a score for the Pinewood/Shepperton Studios in England for a movie called Stormbreaker. It’s due out in August this year.

Moe Norman
2nd March 2006, 09:37 PM
Andrew, this is an old thread and I have a funny feeling you've already posted in it!

Andrew
2nd March 2006, 09:48 PM
Andrew, this is an old thread and I have a funny feeling you've already posted in it!
Yeah, & thankfully I seem to be the same person.

Moe Norman
2nd March 2006, 09:49 PM
yep!

connico
2nd March 2006, 10:12 PM
andrew what other works have you done, i love movie original scores, i wish my life was a soundtrack :). just like peter in family buy but a little less annoying....

hehehe; as a composer do you sometimes think your life is a soundtrack?? or one long score?

Andrew
3rd March 2006, 10:41 AM
hehehe; as a composer do you sometimes think your life is a soundtrack?? or one long score?

I have a 2 year old & a 5 year old, so my life is definitely not one big score. In fact, I'm lucky if I ever ......... well, y'know.:)

Jarro
3rd March 2006, 10:48 AM
Andrew, got any work for an unemployed drummer ;)

Iain
3rd March 2006, 11:04 AM

Do you know a good one?? :-P:-P

terryand
3rd March 2006, 11:11 AM
I thought Goughy was doing a bit of work.

Terry.

Andrew
3rd March 2006, 11:28 AM
I prefer to work with musicians :)

Jarro
3rd March 2006, 11:30 AM
I prefer to work with musicians :)

gee, i've never heard that one before :roll:

Andrew
3rd March 2006, 11:46 AM
My apologise, Jarro. You’d be surprised how many drummers I’ve worked with over the years that have little understanding of formatting. Once I know a drummer can play & do so powerfully, all I want to know is can they quickly understand the format of the piece. When I’m hiring a studio like 301, every mistake costs me $200.

Apart from that, my last few scores have been orchestral and/or synthetic.

What sort of bands have you played in?

Jarro
3rd March 2006, 11:53 AM
My apologise, Jarro. You’d be surprised how many drummers I’ve worked with over the years that have little understanding of formatting. Once I know a drummer can play & do so powerfully, all I want to know is can they quickly understand the format of the piece. When I’m hiring a studio like 301, every mistake costs me $200.

Apart from that, my last few scores have been orchestral and/or synthetic.

What sort of bands have you played in?

no need to apologise mate, i'm used to the jokes ;)

I've played in heaps of cover bands over the years, Most recently played in "Tribute Shows" ... Pink Floyd, Meatloaf, CCR and the like ... i love the rock stuff 8)

where abouts could we listen to some of your stuff?? sounds like a really interesting job you have.

When you have to create a piece, what sort of information do you have to go by ?? do they always have an idea of what they're after or do they let you have freee reign ??

brad
3rd March 2006, 12:45 PM
hey, all you need to know is this, and it's my philosophy.

Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they will....

has worked for a long time with all the pathetic whiteanting *****iness you get in pseudo-nepotistic companies ;) the guy knew his ****

Thanks, I've never heard of the book and now I don't have to go near it:mrgreen:

Eag's
3rd March 2006, 01:53 PM
Wow this is a bloody old thread.
It seems a large portion of this site posses some sort of Degree.
We have some smart cookies amongst us it seems :smt002

A few things have changed since I posted this thread back in 2004.
I am no longer trying to get into the I.T. field because I realised I didn't really want to go down that road. I was thinking with my wallet rather than my heart.

I have decided to stay where I am at the hospital because I really enjoy what I am doing. The pay is not all that great but as I get older, I realise there are more important things in life than just money.

I work shift work so I get to play a lot more golf than I would if I worked 9-5.
We have no kids (and won't be having any) so all the free time we have is ours :) Life is prity good for us at the moment so we are just going to sit back and enjoy the ride 8-)

AndyP
3rd March 2006, 02:03 PM
I have a degree in forum administration too (I bought it off some dodgy website in the states).

Webster
3rd March 2006, 02:05 PM
Degrees are over-rated. Its what you learn on the job that counts.

Moe Norman
3rd March 2006, 02:17 PM
my degrees taught me nothing, but my current job is teaching me nothing as well.

Webster
3rd March 2006, 02:29 PM
You are in the wrong job then.

Andrew
3rd March 2006, 03:04 PM
Degrees are over-rated. Its what you learn on the job that counts.
I actually agree.

Andrew
3rd March 2006, 03:23 PM
When you have to create a piece, what sort of information do you have to go by ?? do they always have an idea of what they're after or do they let you have freee reign ??
It's often different & depends on budget.

I compose & record music all the time. I make demos for my A&R guy (Frank) every few months. The demos are quite reasonable quality & many of the documentaries that I have 'original music' credits on have just used music directly from my demo.

The movies I've been involved with have had a larger budget. Generally you come into the project at about the halfway mark. A certain amount of shooting & hopefully initial editing has been done. You speak to the director & they show you what has been filmed, in some cases it is still in the form of 'rushes' or 'dailies'.

This last movie was the biggest budget I have worked on, which meant I composed & recorded the music, sent it to the director, he got back to me with any changes of mood etc., I re-recorded it & had it professionally mastered & tracked to the movie & sent it away again. From there it is timed again with the final editing. By this stage Foley & digital sound effects will have been added, totally covering all my hard work, so by the time I see the final product I will probably kick myself for getting involved with an 'action' movie.

Keza_G
5th March 2006, 01:45 PM
I left home at 16 to go Surfing.... 7 years later I met Scott and settled down. In my "years adrift" I completed yr 12 in Western Australia and spent 2 years at Edith Cowan Uni in Joondalup, WA Studying B.Sc (Human Biology).. I didn't really want to, I just took the first course I got into... that's why I left and came back to God's country, Queensland....

After taking up golf, I decided I wanted to be in this industry 100%. Occassionally I have really bad rounds (like recently) and question myself... 3 days ago I was ready to sell everything and get a job as a checkout chick.. Today... well I am still considering it...

Does anyone else question whether all the work you put in is worth it...?
I see people who I believe do nothing, go ahead of me all the time lately and I get annoyed that I am constantly having to "prove myself" to those powers that be. I feel like I am working 3 times as hard and still getting no where..

I guess what I am saying is that I really love my job and I really love working in the golf industry, but is it the place for me ?

connico
5th March 2006, 10:38 PM
Cant say i know much about the golfing industry apart from all the crap that people try to sell you these days. Regardless i think you need to sit down with your partner and then some people that you work with and friends one at a time of course and ask them this question.

I myself have often found it easier and alot appealing to change what i was doing instead of changing the way i look at things. I work hard and i have to admit i stop playing harder...i work hard all the time, with the business i have on the side and also my work with the dept of commerce...i hardly have time for anything else but golfing and family/friends after work. Many times i have sat around wondering what it would have been like if i had continued with tennis or gone career with the army, but i also answer myself that I am enjoying working my **** off and see older but less competent people become senior to them. I know that age discrimination exists so i work harder to look better and hope that maybe one day some ****er will notice...and give me the credit and position i deserve...

:) just ask around there are plenty of people that have been in your shoes keza..

amanda
6th March 2006, 09:18 AM
Does anyone else question whether all the work you put in is worth it...?

All the time! Out of the 350-450 students I teach in my subject - I would estimate that 80% don't realise the effort that goes in to preparing interesting and engaging lectures - they just whine about having to come to uni 12 hrs per week :? Then after I've put 120% effort into teaching them, they claim that it's me who causes them to fail - it has nothing to do with the fact that they only spend 2 hrs per week on homework/assignments etc when it should be 6-9 hrs. :evil:

Jarro
6th March 2006, 09:26 AM
i'm actually getting a little sick of my job. The shift work is really getting me down lately and i think it might be time to look for a 9 - 5 gig instead 8)

cazandpaul
6th March 2006, 10:00 AM
Amen to that Jarro:(

Moe Norman
6th March 2006, 10:20 AM
jarro 9-5 gig = less golf for you.

Jarro
6th March 2006, 10:22 AM
yeah Moe i know :roll:

.. just that these night-shifts and early morning shifts are taking their toll.

I could still play Satdee/Sundee comps ... that'd do me 8)

Grunt
6th March 2006, 11:14 AM
Hey Jarro does your shift get decent breaks between shift changes or is all over the place? I love my shift 2 days 2 nights 5 off

Jarro
6th March 2006, 11:15 AM
we're all over the place mate. We do 7 nights then 3 off, then back for 8 days straight of 2/3/4 am starts

Grunt
6th March 2006, 11:18 AM
Ouch I used to do a shift with single days off after afternoon shift that was tough. This one is a breeze.
Just did my first block since the op, finishing at 6 this morning. I don't go back until 6am Saturday. This shift is great, I could actually get another job in somehow if I wanted too.

Jarro
6th March 2006, 11:20 AM
yeah you engineers have a pretty good racket going :roll:

the more i think of it though, 9-5 would be bloody good.

connico
6th March 2006, 11:26 AM
i usd to work 4 days on 4 days off...those where the days lol :)

i wanna teach lol...but i cant...damn...teaching enables plenty of golf lol

Grunt
6th March 2006, 11:27 AM
yeah you engineers have a pretty good racket going :roll:

Yeah that is for the next few weeks until Dixon gets what he wants and that is to kill the Aircraft engineering industry here by outsourcing Heavy Maintenance.
Found out yesterday that he has submitted the work package to KLM to do a quote on doing the next D check on a 747. What he is doing is going to other places getting quotes from them that we cant undercut due to lifestyle/working agreements due to the places they are being done, China, Malaysia etc. They have minimal supervision (4 -5 licenced guy per aircraft, in Syd heavy maint. we have around 20 per aircraft check) and lots of Monkeys (a term us licenced guy use for unskilled labour) doing the work (around 150). Have heard the announcement will be made this week, up 2500 job losses!!!:shock:

Bruce
6th March 2006, 12:02 PM
Grant - Crikey did a piece recently about how Qantas is paying too much for some of its' staff compared to other airlines and regions. These uncompetive salaries are dragging the airline down and costs must be cut.

The most uncompetive salary in Qantas compared to comparable airlines = The CEO.
They could save millions if they outsourced that job.
http://www.crikey.com.au/articles/2006/02/22-1608-8649.html

Grunt
6th March 2006, 02:21 PM
I know Bruce that piece is everywhere around the airport, as for wages I could earn anything from US$100 000 up to US$200 000 if I wanted to go and live in a another country (India, China, Malaysia, Bahrain etc.) to supervise maintenance at these new Maintenance & Repair Organisations (MRO's). Unfortunatly there seems to be no want by Australian airlines/MRO's for the same level of wage/experience levels. There arguement now is if you don't like our conditions leave the country.

kpac
30th June 2008, 08:22 PM
seems Grunts last comments are still relevant in another thread so i'm digging this one up from the archives.

What do the ozgolfers see as the trade off between salary and satisfaction.
I'm in an industry where dynamic work is what i'm interested in. However the big developers are the ones paying the good wages. At what point do we sacrifice the good wage for the benifit of satisfying work. (hypothetically ofcoarse... ;) )

Fishman Dan
30th June 2008, 08:27 PM
I don't know if things really changed for me. I work hard, do tons of extra hours to get the job done, and consider myself in the running for more specialised work because of it. As a result, if I need time back in my life, it's easy to write-off an arvo or a morning for my own purposes without going through official channels. And if I don't get the result I'm after, I'm confident that I could get that elsewhere. I don't feel threatened and don't feel as though I need to make threats to continue advancing.

In other words, I'm copping it up the proverbial, but occasionally they are nice enough to give me a reach-around.

markTHEblake
30th June 2008, 08:36 PM
At what point do we sacrifice the good wage for the benifit of satisfying work.

There is a fine line there. Most peoples level of satisfaction with a job change with the amount they get paid.

I have walked away from 50k salaries twice, the second time because the job had become mind numbingly boring. (yeah 50k doesnt sound like much but it was back then)

Moe Norman
30th June 2008, 08:36 PM
I hate my job, and have done for a while.

However current market conditions don't allow me to pack it in due to financial constraints and a growing family.

If the mrs would reconsider her opposition to a move south, I might actually not feel sick on the drive to work each morning - but at this stage I just have to slog it out for the time being

goughy
30th June 2008, 08:47 PM
I'm in a situation where I do like the work I do and feel proud of it. Maybe I've left it too late to make more money in another field, maybe I haven't. And even though my income is screwed down by the fact I have to compete against cheap overseas imports I can live with that. What I hate is running a business where it's a struggle. I'd probably enjoy it more if times were better. But I'm still crap at actually running a business.

But I can't go work for someone else within this field as the wages are crap, and the only way to make any money (what there is) is to work for yourself.

That being said, I do like the kind of work I do, and am damn good at it, if I say so myself.

davidp
1st July 2008, 04:04 AM
I guess I'm lucky. I enjoy what I do, even though it does have it's challenges sometimes, such as pulling all-nighters to get something done.

I'm in the lucky position of working with many people who are far smarter than I am, so I am constantly learning. It's what keeps the job interesting. Besides which, I have now lived in two overseas countries, am learning another language, and have hopefully opened up my children's eyes to a world where there are less fortunate people than us.

I could probably earn more money with another company, but I'm one of those old-fashioned people where loyalty counts for something. Maybe my view will change if I get down-sized one day. ;)

BrisVegas
1st July 2008, 07:13 AM
I've done my share of all nighters and pager work in IT project consulting over the years. When I was first working I wanted to prove myself and build an impressive resume etc etc.... In hindsight, I wasn't paid anywhere near enough for the revenue I was generating or the effort I was putting in, but at the time I thought I was going places. I've also been downsized/laid off a couple of times and realise that it doesn't matter how good a job you do, if it comes to the crunch, you still lose your job.

Now that I have a young family I'm not prepared to work crazy hours just to make a bit more money or get a promotion. I've got the rest of my life to do that, but my kids are only this age once. Having been on much higher salaries before I'm also acutely aware that I tend to spend whatever I earn anyway, so money aint everything. I meet my commitments now (just), so that's that. In years to come when we go back to two incomes things will pick up.

AndyP
1st July 2008, 07:31 AM
I'm currently satisfied. Ask me again next month.

kpac
1st July 2008, 08:34 AM
I dug this one up, as it's time for a reassessment of my situation... Thus decided that i'll check out what is out there. Found a company willing to pay a good wage (ie bucket load more than I currently make). Spoke to another the otherday - awesome firm, great work, great office, great outlook, good design philosophy, young enthusiastic (all the things that interest me) but cant afford to pay the same wage as the big boys.
Let them know what i'm hoping to earn and they basically let me know they cant afford it. They like my work and want me to work there, but no way they can shell out as much as the large companies...
So i'm at witts ends as to whether i drop my expectation for a really good job. Or make good cash now and care little about job enjoyment. I know i'm going to see the greener grass which ever option i take!!

BrisVegas
1st July 2008, 08:39 AM
does the company that sounds good (except for the money) have any issue with you doing private work on the side?

I'd have thought you could earn a decent amount of supplemental income on the side in your business.

kpac
1st July 2008, 08:43 AM
Are there any chicks in that new office with impressive mams ?
Thats normally the deal clincher.

Both offices are pretty handy in regards to interior decoration.

BV
I'd like to get away from the side work (but no they don't have a problem with it.) Want to get away from any house or reno work. It is an option tho i agree.

PeteyD
1st July 2008, 08:46 AM
Underselling yourself is bad. But ultimately the decision is yours. If the small company grows and becomes big and can afford the larger amount, it will likely be more like the larger company then too.

sms316
1st July 2008, 08:49 AM
Are there any chicks in that new office with impressive mams ?
Thats normally the deal clincher.

Good policy. I love my job. My office is right next to the call centre.

:mrgreen:

Fishman Dan
1st July 2008, 09:05 AM
I dug this one up, as it's time for a reassessment of my situation... Thus decided that i'll check out what is out there. Found a company willing to pay a good wage (ie bucket load more than I currently make). Spoke to another the otherday - awesome firm, great work, great office, great outlook, good design philosophy, young enthusiastic (all the things that interest me) but cant afford to pay the same wage as the big boys.
Let them know what i'm hoping to earn and they basically let me know they cant afford it. They like my work and want me to work there, but no way they can shell out as much as the large companies...
So i'm at witts ends as to whether i drop my expectation for a really good job. Or make good cash now and care little about job enjoyment. I know i'm going to see the greener grass which ever option i take!!

Kpac - I bet they can afford it. If they like all of those things about you, then they will find the money. Push them, otherwise it's probably because they are tight and that's probably not who you want to be working for.

poidda
1st July 2008, 09:25 AM
If you got a large'ish mortgage, I'd be more inclined to take the higher paying job for the time being and bang the difference into the mortgage for a couple of years. Then in a couple of years time take that lower paid job, but instead of taking the pay cut out of your pocket, just take it out of your mortgage payments. You wont notice the pay cut, and you'll have a better job.

Or, take the higher paid job and piss it up the wall! ;)

PeteyD
1st July 2008, 09:27 AM
That is what I meant fish, but not stated so bluntly. Push em for the $$ if they want you.

kpac
1st July 2008, 09:29 AM
Kpac - I bet they can afford it. If they like all of those things about you, then they will find the money. Push them, otherwise it's probably because they are tight and that's probably not who you want to be working for.

You could well be right dan. They may well be playing the small firm, small profits card. I've told them so far that i'm not prepared to work for less. However the emotions are just getting to me, the opportunity to be involved with a company that is inline with my aspirations. The miss's is of the same opinion, "if they like your stuff they figure out how to fund it." We will see.....

Grunt
1st July 2008, 09:32 AM
Job Satisfaction

Well to me it is the bit where after 5-6 hours of troubleshooting a defect on a 747 that you finally get the fault identified, change the component, carry out the test and declare the aircraft serviceable. The bit where we get to take the aircraft up to take off power on the run bay is pretty good too.

Hopefully as a result of all this EBA stuff at Qantas, the management will see that is what we all want just to be able to do our jobs and be recognised by the company as an important part to the airline.

kpac
1st July 2008, 09:33 AM
Or, take the higher paid job and piss it up the wall! ;)

Higher paid job sounds good, but involves interstate move/change to living. However in all likelihood i'd probably enjoy that job too.... If the local firm doesn't come to the party with the $$ it makes sense to go and get the cash while i can.... :smt013

PeteyD
1st July 2008, 09:38 AM
Plus we get rid of you!! :D Interstate moves should be done while you still can, gets harder once you breed and stuff.

Eag's
1st July 2008, 09:53 AM
Good luck with your search mate, not to many of us on here can say they are in a position where the financial rewards mirror job satisfaction.
I myself have thought about moving on many times, but I way up all the options and end up staying put. I have been with the same Hospital for nearly 10 years so it made sense to stick around.

AndyP
1st July 2008, 11:00 AM
Counting down to long service leave, Eag's?

haysey
1st July 2008, 11:23 AM

Fishman Dan is right, I'll bet they can afford it too.
They may not necessarily be tight however. It took me a long time to realise that I was better off paying significantly more than the award to attract and retain good staff.
I vote for pushing to get what you want.

Eag's
1st July 2008, 11:40 AM
Counting down to long service leave, Eag's?

Yeah that's one of the reasons AP ;)
Also even if I did decide to move Hospitals I would be doing much the same thing but not necessarily at the same level of pay. As I stand now I am one rung from the top position and things look very promising for the next step up. Just have to bide my time and be patient (pardon the pun :))

poidda
1st July 2008, 11:48 AM
Fishman Dan is right, I'll bet they can afford it too.
They may not necessarily be tight however. It took me a long time to realise that I was better off paying significantly more than the award to attract and retain good staff.
I vote for pushing to get what you want.

Yeah that's a good point. Maybe it's worth going into the the good job on lower pay for a few months and then demand more cash when they realise what you are worth to the company. It's much easier for a company to keep good current staff and pay them more, than what it is to replace them with muppets.

Fishman Dan
1st July 2008, 12:02 PM
The point being that there's a lot more than the bottom lime. I currently work for a large company and there's good understanding for personal time, time in lieu etc.

I previously worked for a small company (locally - large'ish globally), they payed above standard wages but it was very tough politically (I hate that term) to get time back if you had worked late, or worked weekends - and in IT that's not hard to do. There was also very little job-sharing - if you did manage to get a day in lieu, you felt guilty as anything because work you had left remained untouched!

The problem I found leaving the previous job was that if I wanted to change horizontally - that is, not go into a managerial role, but to simply plan an escape, was that the salary for any potential jobs didn't weigh up - my leave entitlements would start again from zero, and I may have to take a pay cut. As Moe alluded to, in this day and age it's hard to justify changing for the same (or less) money.

Luckily I managed to find a step up in career, salary and work conditions.... but I'm working 5 times as much as I was this time 12 months ago.... and enjoying it.

amanda
1st July 2008, 01:39 PM
Luckily Brad earns a very good wage and I can afford to do something I love and earn a little less than if I was still an auditor/accountant in the commercial world. Mind you - I don't think I could physically go back to wearing a suit every day and getting up early to get to work. It's bad enough doing that 2 days a week now ;)

kpac
1st July 2008, 02:06 PM
Well I've got 2 things to add to this.
1 - Thankyou ozgolf!
2 - After giving it a week to consider whether i'd change my $$ expectation - last night i posted that comment/raised this old thread.
Pretty much on ozgolf advice I got back in contact with the head honcho at this gig that i've been raving about and went to lunch with him today to figure out what's what. Was a long conversation but much of it along the lines of what has been discussed here, and he was happy to see reason and come to the party. End of the day Fish had it right, they wanted to play tight and hope that they could get an employee on the cheap, however when i sat down to talk things over, we both agreed on a spade being a spade, and we struck a deal.

Nothing set in stone yet obviously - but at least it it does go to show, that your own evaluation of worth shouldn't be negotiated down. I wasn't asking massive $$'s (although now i think maybe i should have ;) ) but just a fair industry wage. I thought this was what i was worth to them - end of the day they agreed, even though they tried to avoid it.

So cheers for the advice all - was some of the better feedback i'd had this last week.

AndyP
1st July 2008, 02:11 PM
And now for your donation to OZgolf.

Well done!

poidda
1st July 2008, 02:14 PM
Noice one! Strike avoided over lunch. phew.

Jarro
1st July 2008, 02:18 PM
Nice work Kpac ... nice to know somebody has a boss that's willing to negotiate

Fishman Dan
1st July 2008, 02:18 PM
Well done Kpac, and you didn't get greedy ;)

I think the point has been made - they will probably tolerate negotiation in the future too. Great stuff and hope it all goes well.

kpac
1st July 2008, 02:38 PM
yeah thanks all. I'm pretty chuffed! the principal was a nice bloke when i met him just over a week ago - i thought about it this morning and just got on the blower and said "are you free for lunch". Best thing i ever did. I had an idea of what i was worth - he totally agreed yet as any wise businessman (i guess) he tried to get a better deal.

No strike - didn't even mention cpi ;)

Now the big one - letting down the current employment situation!!! this might get messy!

poidda
1st July 2008, 03:01 PM
Now the big one - letting down the current employment situation!!! this might get messy!

You serious? That's the best part. Seeing your boss panic because he now has to go find a replacement. They should have made it worth your while to stick around in the first place. Have fun! ;)

Fishman Dan
1st July 2008, 03:12 PM
Two words - Gardening Leave!

kpac
1st July 2008, 03:22 PM
You serious? That's the best part. Seeing your boss panic because he now has to go find a replacement. They should have made it worth your while to stick around in the first place. Have fun! ;)

like a band aid i recon - straight off!!!

Eag's
1st July 2008, 03:25 PM
Great stuff mate glad to hear you got what you were after :smt038

markTHEblake
1st July 2008, 07:13 PM
Just have to bide my time and be patient (pardon the pun :))

I hope you are more patient at work than you are around here :razz: