PDA

View Full Version : Charley Hoffman's putter toss at TPC

Dazza
10th May 2008, 06:30 PM
Charley Hoffman's putter toss highlights tough day at Players

7 hours ago
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. — Charley Hoffman missed a 20-inch putt, then did something just about every golfer has at least considered after one shot or another.
He threw his club. He whipped it actually. Hoffman flung his putter into the murky water next to the 13th green Friday, a frustrating response to a double bogey that delighted the crowd and sent the 31-year-old player into a tailspin. It was a fitting highlight to Friday's second round of The Players Championship, which was played in gusting wind.
"I had thoughts of diving in front of it," caddie Miguel Rivera said. "I did actually think about going in, but the water looked a little funky."
Hoffman declined comment after he shot 11-over 83 in the second round and badly missed the cut at 15 over. He was 7 over when he reached the par-3 13th and needed a few birdies to make it to the weekend.
Instead, he missed what would have been a gimme on any municipal course and ended up shooting 8 over in the final six holes.
He used his sand wedge and a hybrid club to putt the rest of the round and actually had a few nice shots with them. Not knowing what to do with the head cover for the putter, Rivera threw it on the sand wedge for the final five holes "just to make sure we designated it as our putter."
A volunteer eventually retrieved the putter, taking off her shoes, rolling up her pants legs, then tiptoeing along the edge of the water and pulling it out with an extendable ball retriever.
There was no word whether the volunteer planned to return it to Hoffman.
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5haI1_2xaZM5fLlhnaNjrrHQGkC-g

On Youtube already.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDnyCERFPpY

Webster
10th May 2008, 06:33 PM
Was it a Tour putter?

Scottt
10th May 2008, 06:34 PM
I saw him putting with the sandie. Didn't do too bad really.

Two mates of mine were leading my club's foursomes champs by about four shots with six holes to play in the second and final round. One of them threw his putter in the air after missing a three-footer and it got stuck in a tree. He had to finish the round putting with a two-iron and they lost by a shot. LOL. The other bloke didn't talk to him for a month!

sms316
10th May 2008, 06:52 PM
There is a Wilson TPA XVIII at the bottom of the lake behind the 15th green at Yowani. Nearly made it over to the 17th too.

Longest club throw I have ever performed.

mike
10th May 2008, 07:03 PM
That is so cool

Charlie Hoffman is my new favourite player

Jarro
11th May 2008, 03:41 AM
Pretty girly toss if you ask me :roll:

Big JD at least put some effort into it.

BrisWesty
11th May 2008, 08:25 AM
Was it a Tour putter?

Probably a Tourette's putter. Likely to have been a few involuntary audible obscenities after missing that putt.

lucky
12th May 2008, 04:40 PM
Classic - I am sure we have all felt like doing that

mike
12th May 2008, 06:34 PM
Pretty girly toss if you ask me :roll:

Controlled aggression