PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Golf Club brands

markTHEblake
7th May 2008, 10:35 PM
Just interested to see what relatively unknown golf brands are out there (that are not blatant el cheapo clones)

Say those ones that you would never find in Golf World, House of Golf or a Ho's bag :razz: and 99 out of 100 golfers never heard of them. (1 out of 100 is an Ozgolfer)

Here is a short list few that I can think of.

Snake Eyes/Golfsmith
Toski
Wishon
KZG
Reid Lockhart
Alpha

Anymore?

Toolish
7th May 2008, 10:38 PM
SMT
Bang
Maltby
Lind
CER
Distance Master

jimandr
7th May 2008, 11:04 PM
Just about all the brands named so far are component brands. Some of the 'ho's (hi Jono) have probably used all of them.

However, apart from us Ozgolfers, I don't think I've ever seen anybody using a component brand on the course.

I was thinking more in terms of the Japanese and Korean brands that we also never see. I can recall Konnan, Daiwa, Honma all making some sort of effort to break into Australia a while ago, but without success.

Scottt
7th May 2008, 11:05 PM
What's KZG like. I think I've had a few mates who've playd their blades.

Scottt
7th May 2008, 11:06 PM
Just about all the brands named so far are I can recall Konnan, Daiwa, Honma all making some sort of effort to break into Australia a while ago, but without success.

Daiwa Advisor blades were the shiz c. 1996.

Courty
7th May 2008, 11:16 PM
I don't reckon anyone at my club would have heard of Nickent. None of their stuff is stocked in any of the local retailers.

leighthebee
8th May 2008, 12:12 AM
I don't reckon anyone at my club would have heard of Nickent. None of their stuff is stocked in any of the local retailers.

The 3dx was arguably one of the worlds best hybrids

davidp
8th May 2008, 12:45 AM
On the component side there are a few more:

Geek (Their best known product is the DotCom This driver. Started by an ex-Bang guy)
Hireko (known in Australia as Acer)
Tech Power (Mike Harwood used to play them a few years ago)
SVG (Copy Cat brand)
Yardstick (Used to be sold by Serpell Golf)
Infiniti (I've got one of their drivers. :) )
Purefit (also sold as complete clubs in Oz)
Blade Golf
Ashton (They feature in some Long Drive comps)
Dynacraft (I've still got an RCG putter hanging around somewhere)
Zero Tolerance (Based out of California. Good product, especially drivers)

On the complete build side of things:

Maruman (Greg Norman used to play a Maruman 3 wood. It was his go-to club)
Makser (Spanish manufacturer. Good gear. Jose Maria Olazabal might still use them)
PRGR (Big in Japan)
Founders Clubs (Only seen them on the U.S golf swap shops though)
Tour Edge (As you would probably know, fantastic fairway & hybrid clubs)
Walter Hagen

Lots of smaller manufacturers that I've seen around the place:

Yonex (Yep, Monty plays them)
Nicklaus (they make a decent driver)
Arnold Palmer
Palm Springs (Don't know if they're still around. They were my first set of irons)
Cougar
Hippo (Seem to be bigger in the U.K)

A lot of clubs seem to come out of the same foundries in China. I would love to go visit them one day, just to see the no-name brand roll off the same production line as the Taylor Made or Callaway product.

Courty
8th May 2008, 06:06 AM
Anyone mentioned Epon yet?

Shaneo
8th May 2008, 06:44 AM
what about sonartec? it's something like that
they apparently make great 3 woods

Colin
8th May 2008, 07:41 AM
Nakashima?

Moe Norman
8th May 2008, 07:59 AM
Blakey,

Snake Eyes & Alpha are available for sale at most pro shops or driving ranges - not really unknown brands at all.

When I worked in the shop at Indro I sold more Alpha than anything.

3oneday
8th May 2008, 08:21 AM
Raven

jaybam
8th May 2008, 08:44 AM
Used the Bang woods for a little while. Didnt mind them that much were pretty forgiving

virge666
8th May 2008, 08:46 AM
PRGR or ProGear

Have a look on eBay for these clubs, I reckon they are one of the sexiest sets I have ever seen.

I was a bit of a Honma fan back in the day . . . that was until I saw PRGR. Words cannot describe awesomeness and woodyness that I get from these irons.

They are quite simply DaShit !

Jarro
8th May 2008, 08:47 AM
Harvey Pennick

markTHEblake
8th May 2008, 09:09 AM
I was a bit of a Honma fan back in the day . . . that was until I saw PRGR. Words cannot describe awesomeness and woodyness that I get from these

Virge, ya can even buy PRGR and Honma at Ozgolf !

freddy a
8th May 2008, 09:13 AM
On Off (Daiwa)
Yamaha
Scratch
Fourteen
Golds Factory
Gauge
Honma
Royal Collection (Sonartec)

virge666
8th May 2008, 09:49 AM
Virge, ya can even buy PRGR and Honma at Ozgolf !

Who has PRGR . . . I want a set of speed irons.

3oneday
8th May 2008, 10:37 AM
On Off (Daiwa)
Yamaha
Scratch
Fourteen
Golds Factory
Gauge
Honma
Royal Collection (Sonartec)tourspecgolfer :lol:

mike
8th May 2008, 12:37 PM

Courty, I'm pretty sure I sure some Nickent stuff in Drummonds last time I was there.

You're there most days, have a look .:wink:

freddy a
8th May 2008, 02:13 PM
tourspecgolfer :lol:

Yep best place to get exotic gear

goughy
8th May 2008, 08:36 PM
Toowoomba Golf Club had a ton of nickent stuff. And City GC used to sell snake eyes stuff. The pro's son has had a few sets of snake eyes irons!

Grunt
8th May 2008, 08:46 PM
How about Retco, think they were a UK company. Were not bad irons for the cash I paid. Mate was trying to get them going out here in about 96. Never got going.

markTHEblake
8th May 2008, 08:48 PM
Just interested to see what relatively unknown golf brands are out there (that are not blatant el cheapo clones)

I thought that would have implied 'currently available for sale as a new product' :-)

some pretty ancient stuff being thrown about here, especially by Jarro.

markTHEblake
8th May 2008, 08:51 PM
A lot of clubs seem to come out of the same foundries in China. I would love to go visit them one day

You wouldnt happen to know the address of any of these foundries would you?
Got a few contacts in China and it would be fun to see if its possible to get some back door specials.

Colin
9th May 2008, 06:05 PM
How about Retco, think they were a UK company. Were not bad irons for the cash I paid. Mate was trying to get them going out here in about 96. Never got going.

Still sell those at the pro shop of one of the local courses. Utter shite clubs, though a mate has an older set and they're fantastic. I bought one of their R7-a-like drivers a while back, just because it had a decent shaft (Aldila), and it was a hunk of crap. When hit right, the head made a noise like breaking cheap china plates.

Col