PDA

View Full Version : New Irons! Now what to get?

kobbsno10
7th May 2008, 09:06 PM
Hi Guy's
:smt006
Most of you guy's seem to know what your talking about when it comes to what clubs to buy and what not to!
I'm currently playing with a cheap dunlop set of iron's that I got on ebay, needless to say they dont fit me properly! :roll: So I went and got fitted last weekend and now I've got the decision of what clubs to get. I like the look of the Cleveland CG Gold's and I had a couple of hit's with the demo and it feel's great! Any other suggestions?

markTHEblake
7th May 2008, 09:16 PM
I am not sure if you can get 'properly fitted' and Clevelands from the same store.

People that sell Clevelands and other big brands dont make the clubs themselves, they order from the factory, and just hand em over to you.

Find yourself a proper clubfitter who will spend time with you, make your own clubs, and work with you to get em right.

Scottt
7th May 2008, 09:17 PM
Hit as many clubs as you can and see what feels good and fills you with confidence, then go back and hit them again three days later, and again another three days later. If you still love them, pony up the cash.

kobbsno10
7th May 2008, 09:21 PM
So would you say that the "Clubfitting" at drummond golf is a waste of time ya?:?

Scottt
7th May 2008, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't call it a waste of time (I'm sure others would), but it's inferior to a professional clubfitter.

3oneday
7th May 2008, 09:33 PM
You can get different lie angles on he Cleve gold and reds can't you ? or is that just the Reds ?

Fitting is overrated......

;)

kobbsno10
7th May 2008, 09:56 PM
Well whether or not I should use the clubfitting system at a retailer store I'm still in the dark as to what clubs to get! I'm a high handicap player I'm sure (I haven't got an offical handicap yet). What clubs would be suited to my game?

markTHEblake
7th May 2008, 10:07 PM
What clubs would be suited to my game?

As a general rule - most of them :-)
until you give more info, cant really be more specific., a clubmaker would ask you about 10 questions before he will answer that

however what shafts, swingweight, and flex is something very specific that a good clubfitter will help you determine.

I know that doesnt sound so romantic as the shiney lump of metal at the end but its more important.

where are you located?

kobbsno10
7th May 2008, 10:17 PM
I'm in Sydney Mark. Dont suppose you know any clubfitter located around my area!?
Now I'm not saying that I'm defintely going to go to one but it's good to have that option ya know.:wink:

markTHEblake
7th May 2008, 10:38 PM
nah, dont know any fitters in Sydney, but I do know a few know-it-alls. They'll put in their 2 cents soon. ;-)

I kinda feel sad for you if you go to a retail store to get your gear. I know some people think Harvey Norman is great place to shop too, I guess if people have money to burn, good luck to em :-)

Scottt
7th May 2008, 10:42 PM
I regularly spend money in them, after doing a shiteload of research and hitting all and sundry three or four times.

Case in point - three pro shops I've been to have the new Cally Hyper X Tour at $499. I walk straight into my local Drummond and ask them how much and they say $360.

You can save money shopping there, just as long as you don't let the sales asses do your thinking for you.

kobbsno10
8th May 2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks Scott

I'm probably going to get my clubs at drummond golf, They seem to be pretty helpful and I think there clubfitting is better than other clubfitting in similar stores, although when I think about it I haven't tried Golf Mart yet, they've got a similar service. Anyone got fitted there?

Scottt
8th May 2008, 01:46 PM
I got fitted at golf mart to see what they said. I have to say I wasn't entirely comfortable with the process. The shaft selection was a bit haphazard.

They obviously only recommend stuff they sell, and preferably have a big margin in.

Where are you located?

kobbsno10
8th May 2008, 05:56 PM
I'm in the inner west in sydney. It would make sense alright that they would be thinking like that! I was shown a variety of club's at drummond golf, I told them my price range and they showed me club's for that or less, the guy even recommended that I go with a set which was last years because they had come down in price which were cosiderably cheaper than my price range. Well at the end of the day I want a quality set but at the same time not get ripped off.

3oneday
8th May 2008, 06:43 PM
So, do your research and save $300 more on ebay.com 8)

macjackass
8th May 2008, 07:38 PM
Golf mart is a rip-off!! Drummond and powergolf much cheaper.

cobra
8th May 2008, 10:19 PM
I'm in the inner west in sydney. It would make sense alright that they would be thinking like that! I was shown a variety of club's at drummond golf, I told them my price range and they showed me club's for that or less, the guy even recommended that I go with a set which was last years because they had come down in price which were cosiderably cheaper than my price range. Well at the end of the day I want a quality set but at the same time not get ripped off.

If your in the inner west try Als at Enfield on the old hume highway .There is a big cannon at the intersection
Just cant remember the other roads name.
they sell a good range
also try their 3rd floor have a lot of trade in gear up there ,,worth a look

mikezone13
8th May 2008, 10:24 PM
Golf mart is a rip-off!! Drummond and powergolf much cheaper.

But stil a rip off... I have actually found drummond cheap on some stuff, expensive on others and vice versa. It's nto often you get a bargain at a retail store.

My best retail bargain would be the $89 Mizuno wedges from powergolf about 12 months ago.

burger
9th May 2008, 11:10 AM
I went & hit a few clubs at Drummond last w/e and the guy 'helping' me talked up their 'Clubfit'. I asked him what it involved (I was looking at Cobra FP's). He says static measurement, loft and lie angle.
His measurements are then sent to manufacturer and clubs come back in 5-10 days.
No mention of measuring swing speed, by looking at my swing he thought that the regular graphite shatf would be fine for me.
But loft? thats set for the clubs anyway . . . . .

If you dont mind a drive go and see Gary up at Newport. Pm if you are interested and I'll send you his mobile. He will sort you out and you might like to look at some clones like Oxygen.

Gary is a great guy and he will get you into what suits you!

stu

Scottt
9th May 2008, 11:16 AM
If your in the inner west try Als at Enfield on the old hume highway .There is a big cannon at the intersection
Just cant remember the other roads name.

coronation parade.

If you're in the Inner West (I'm at Newtown) I have found Drummond at Camperdown the best for price and a lack of sales pressure. Go and speak to Lauren or the skinny guy with real short brown hair.

PowerGolf at Alexandria has rude staff and is a ripoff and I find GolfMart at Granville is a touch expensive and has staff who won't leave you alone or will try and push Adams gear on you, although the owner (who I dealt with when buying my irons )is a good bloke and is willing to do a deal on prices.

burger
9th May 2008, 11:21 AM
But stil a rip off... I have actually found drummond cheap on some stuff, expensive on others and vice versa. It's nto often you get a bargain at a retail store.

This has been my experience too . . . . .

Drummond will price match if you push em too, so if its cheaper at Als or Golfmart and more convenient to get at Drummond, give that a go.

stu

kobbsno10
9th May 2008, 08:14 PM
coronation parade.

If you're in the Inner West (I'm at Newtown) I have found Drummond at Camperdown the best for price and a lack of sales pressure. Go and speak to Lauren or the skinny guy with real short brown hair.

PowerGolf at Alexandria has rude staff and is a ripoff and I find GolfMart at Granville is a touch expensive and has staff who won't leave you alone or will try and push Adams gear on you, although the owner (who I dealt with when buying my irons )is a good bloke and is willing to do a deal on prices.
That's where I went last wkend, I'm in Annandale so tis just down the road from me! I was talking to Graydon there, he seem's like a nice guy, helpful but not pushy. Anyways I'll have a look around at these other places and see how thing's go. It pay's to shop around after all.

markTHEblake
9th May 2008, 10:22 PM
He says static measurement, loft and lie angle.
His measurements are then sent to manufacturer and clubs come back in 5-10 days. No mention of measuring swing speed, by looking at my swing he thought that the regular graphite shatf would be fine for me.

That all sounds nice but there is so much much more to club fitting than that.

Dotty
9th May 2008, 10:37 PM
I don't know much about Drummond. PowerGolf at St Leonards seems to have higher prices, same for Als. GolfMart often have some specials for superceded stock of Nike, Callaway, etc.

If you are after new stuff, head across to Hudson Park Public Golf Club and Driving Range, at Arthur Street, Homebush/Strathfield. They have the big brands, competitive prices, a number of trade-in/ex-demo/superceded sets and may even tape up a few clubs to hit on the range, depending on how serious you are.

Worth a look and see what you can get for your $1K, or whatever you intend to spend.

kobbsno10
3rd June 2008, 08:17 PM
Well I've finally parted with my money and got a good deal at Drummond Golf, they've got a Wilson Staff deal on at the moment, Spine driver, 3W Fybrid, #3 Fybrid and Ci7 4-PW for $1300.
Now please tell me that thats a good price!:smt087

3oneday
3rd June 2008, 08:23 PM
Sounds good Kobbsy, now enjoy them :)