PDA

View Full Version : Weight Shift Video

virge666
6th May 2008, 08:56 PM
Well guys,

Here it is - Weight shift and why it is a total waste of space in any book about the golf swing.

The simple gist of is that - when you turn correctly you get "a shift of weight" to your right side. In some swing types it is more than others. So just work on your pivot . . . and weight shift will take care of itself.

And please, all abuse, questions, comments . . . I am open to all comers.

Enjoy

The vids are here. Weight shift is an 8MB file and goes for 2 minutes. It is encoded using DivX (www.divx.com (http://www.divx.com)) you may need the codec from this website

http://www.thegolferschoice.com/ozgolf/

Grunt
6th May 2008, 09:10 PM
Just watched it, it that you Virg commenting on the vid? I wish I could keep my hips that still. I reckon it would solve all my bad shots. By the way weight is spelt w e i g h t not w e i g t h

markTHEblake
6th May 2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks ,very interesting but I have no comment. My swing (and head) is borked so i got no intention to analyse anything :-)

Toolish
6th May 2008, 09:33 PM
Mate...any chance you could throw a high-res version of Brad's swing up.

mikezone13
6th May 2008, 09:41 PM
Yes, still hips, what I would give for that, would solve many issues (of which I ahve many).

Rusty
6th May 2008, 10:16 PM
excellent - one less thing to think about during practice.

virge666
6th May 2008, 10:16 PM
Mate...any chance you could throw a high-res version of Brad's swing up.

You should see David and Brad's swings up there now. Both front and back. They should also be their 2008 models.

virge666
6th May 2008, 10:17 PM
excellent - one less thing to think about during practice.

YES . . . YES . . . YES !!

F*CKEN EXACTLY !!

Toolish
7th May 2008, 07:30 AM
You should see David and Brad's swings up there now. Both front and back. They should also be their 2008 models.

Don't want to side-track the discussion too much, but this sort of ties in with weight shift.

It looks like Brad never really gets his left foot up after impact and the hips never fully turn through when compared to Toms and others with more conventional swings. Makes it look like he isn't fully releasing. Is that an Edwin thing or just something Brad does?

Love the impact position though, actually love everything through to both arms straight, but after that something has always looked a bit funky to me but never been able to identify it.

Jarro
7th May 2008, 07:40 AM
Very informative Virge 8)

As a player who has long been interested in The Right-sided swing, all your example has done for me is make me realise it's more the way i should be going.

3oneday
7th May 2008, 08:02 AM
As a player who has long been interested in The Right-sided swing, all your example has done for me is make me realise it's more the way i should be going.
KTK

Jarro
7th May 2008, 08:07 AM
KTK

ggf :roll:

I've already emailed Don Fardon again if you must know :p

3oneday
7th May 2008, 08:09 AM
I've already emailed Don Fardon again
and again
and again
and again

:p

Rusty
7th May 2008, 09:33 AM
Brad Lamb looks like he's going to fall forward, with his legs so straight and leaning out towards the ball.

Jarro
7th May 2008, 12:45 PM
So Virge, in your opinion, where does all the power come from with this technique ?

By not moving the body very much would surely mean there is less power there wouldn't it ?

virge666
7th May 2008, 12:52 PM
Rusty,

Let me finish the pivot video and you will see a little more. The way the body and posture setup gives it that look . . . but it ain't. It is more about allowing arm speed and space. Brad is actually REALLY balanced, you can't go after it like he does and finish like he does if you are not balanced. His knees move a LOT, look at his right hip... it is ripping through impact. (more on this later)

The main thing about this video is to ignore the whole BS instruction about weight shift. You DO NOT actively shift your weight over your right side... it happens because of the correct setup position and a correct coil / pivot. If you sway on the back swing - you will have to sway on the downswing... and who needs more moving parts ?

I have the video and ideas for pivot - but I am not sure how to present it in laymans terms... I might break it down in to three parts or something.

As long as you are enjoying the vids and hopefully getting something out of it... I am happy to do them.

Thanks to toolish for the space.

virge666
7th May 2008, 12:54 PM
So Virge, in your opinion, where does all the power come from with this technique ?
By not moving the body very much would surely mean there is less power there wouldn't it ?

Is this is regards to weight shift or just on the Edwin swing ?

Jarro
7th May 2008, 12:58 PM
Is this is regards to weight shift or just on the Edwin swing ?

The Edwin swing.

ddasey
7th May 2008, 01:02 PM
As long as you are enjoying the vids and hopefully getting something out of it... I am happy to do them.

Keep em coming :smt038

Toolish
7th May 2008, 01:04 PM
Also...if anyone else has any golf related vids they want to put up then send me a PM and I will give you FTP details. The space is there, might as well use it.

virge666
7th May 2008, 01:35 PM
The Edwin swing.

Let's start a new thread on Power...

Toolish
7th May 2008, 01:38 PM
Why can't I hear the word Power without thinking of Jeremy Clarkson :)

Scottt
8th May 2008, 10:55 AM
Great stuff Virge. I can really see what you were telling me about the arms and the takeaway.

I went and hit a bucket on the way home last night to reinforce what you showed me. Other than three or four Hilary Swanks it was fantastic - 8i, 6i and 20deg hybrid.

More vids!!