PDA

View Full Version : Anyone looking for club membership in Sydney?

gaetan
5th May 2008, 05:44 PM
For those of you who don't know, Kogarah GC has been involved in negotiations with the State and Local Government, private developers, and the Sydney airport regarding a massive redevelopment. This has been going on for just over 10 years but an agreement has just been reached with all parties signing.

Long story short - the state govt takes the land that Kogarah currently occupies and in return the club relocates about 600 metres to a totally new championship course to be built on currently undeveloped land. A new championship course, club house, driving range etc at no cost to the members or club. It'll still be at least three years and there's going to be quite some disruption in the meantime but remaining memberships are increasingly being taken up. The board has just announced that they're seeking 100 full members and they're going to offer a deferred payment plan on the joining fee.

I'm been member there for some years so I thought I'd give everyone a heads up in case anyone is interested.

If you've got any questions you can ask me and I'll help where I can.

Cheers

Gaetan

Grunt
5th May 2008, 05:50 PM
What are the costs, membership + Joining Gaetan?

gaetan
5th May 2008, 06:07 PM
Grant

$2750 joining, $1500 annual membership. You can pay the annual in four instalments throughout the year (no additional or interest) but I'm not sure what the proposed instalment option for the joining is. I'll give the club a call tomorrow and ask what they're offering and report back here.

We've just had to pay this year's annual and they kept it at the same amount as last year (not even a CPI rise) because we are going to face some disruption. Also no increase beyond CPI expected even once the new course is operational because a full membership is anticipated.

Gaetan

gaetan
7th May 2008, 10:25 AM
Grunt

The proposal before the club's lawyers at the moment is for new members to be able to pay off their $2750 joining fee over three years.

It has to get past the lawyers because the constitution prevents new members benefiting from something that existing members can't equally benefit from. As a club though we have no objection to this so we're confident it will be approved in the next month.

If you want more info, feel free to ask. I'm biased of course but I'll try and be objective.

Cheers

Gaetan

Planet Golf
4th December 2008, 01:14 PM
Hi Gaetan,

Just investigating joining my first golf club. Been playing on and off for years but never had a handicap and never been a member. Given that I live in the East, all the best clubs are exclusive, Royal, The Oz, The Lakes, The NSW, St Micks even is $8K joining fee, as is Bonnie Doon. Moore Park is apparently AMAZINGLY busy and Eastlakes has a Clubhouse which looks like a toilet block.

Thus interested in your recommendation of Kogarah. Why would you recommend it strongly to me?

Appreciate your time.

Regards,

Planet Golf

BrisVegas
4th December 2008, 01:20 PM
Do the members retain the use of the current golf course right up til the proposed new track opens? Or will there be some downtime?

gaetan
4th December 2008, 06:22 PM
BrisVegas, my understanding is that there should be no total unavailability. The land we relocate to adjoins our existing property. We actually retain a sliver of land that three of our current holes occupy but they get redeveloped into three new holes. I'm told that during this process, we might have a period of only having the use of 15 holes - from the old course first, and then the new course.

Gaetan

gaetan
4th December 2008, 06:56 PM
Planet Golf,

I've been a member there for only about five years and since first posting this thread in March have only been at the club twice. Interstate travel, business, family .. you know the drill ... they all conspire to interfere with the golf sometimes.

Nonetheless, I know that if I turned up tomorrow a number of people would greet me as if I'd only seen them yesterday. Unique? Perhaps not but I have found it a prevalent and significant attribute at Kogarah.

It's not the oldest club but not the youngest either. It celebrates its 80th birthday this year and naturally like most clubs the median age of its members is on the higher side. I'm just 40 but some of the best friends and enjoyable golf companions I've found have been 20 years my senior at Kogarah and in some cases more. A lot of the older members are very progressive. If not, then this development would never have seen the green light.

The club has a really good club feel and participation. Sure this is a result of the generally older membership base - no babies at home to look after, retired or well established in their professions so able to spend more time at the club etc, etc. There is a massive husband and wife participation and they have a well supported mixed comp that I haven't got involved with but it sure makes a great atmosphere in the clubhouse Sunday afternoons/evenings when its full of people...and nice people too.

The club is financial, well run, not full of tossers, and not full of people who are full of themselves. It has tradition but you never get the feeling from the members that they think they are better than anyone else. It's close for any of us who live close to the centre of Sydney and most any evening during daylight savings, you can turn up unannounced and get onto the course somewhere to have a hit.

At the minute it doesn't have good practice facilities but that is all about to change. Sure the development is still at least three/four years away but when that time comes, membership vacancies will be a thing of the past and you can be certain of having a membership at a championship course in the centre of Sydney. Where else centrally in Sydney can you find the land to build a new course? For me, and a lot of newer/younger members this is the real motivation. It's enjoyable now but in five/ten years we'll be really sitting pretty.

If you're really keen then drop in and see the staff in the office. When I joined I had to provide three personal external references as well as be nominated, seconded and attend an interview! That's all since been abolished - they just want good people who want to be part of a club and have some fun playing golf. Sure the odd wanker slips through but they soon get caught out. If you're uncomfortable in fronting up unannounced then get in touch with me and I'll meet you there, introduce you to the GM, you can look at the new course designs and development plans and decide for yourself.

Cheers

Gaetan

Rod Morri
4th December 2008, 07:08 PM
Gaetan, just out of interest who is designing the new course?

gaetan
4th December 2008, 07:42 PM
Frank,

James Wilcher, Golf By Design (previously of Greg Norman Golf Course Design) won the national competition to design the new course.

The competition was held before my membership commenced so I don't know more details without looking into it further.

Here's a link to a bio on the guy.

http://www.pacificdunes.com.au/pages/design/links/uploaded/JamesWilcherCourseArchitect.pdf

Gaetan

Rod Morri
4th December 2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks mate.

PS: Don't tell G69....

BrisVegas
4th December 2008, 07:50 PM
oh dear....

Planet Golf
5th December 2008, 11:17 AM
Gaetan,

Brilliant email which has been very informative. I will speak to the Club Secretary and report back. Moore Park is very professional, however I am concerned about the ease of getting a hit, hearing that an average round is upwards of 5 hours!

Cheers

Planet Golf

PS does anyone else have advice/recommendations of other inner Sydney courses?

Minor_Threat
5th December 2008, 05:50 PM
Are they going to retain the 666? 6 par 3s, 6 par 4s, 6 par 5s..

That is what is so memorable about Kogarah to me!

virge666
5th December 2008, 07:55 PM
PS does anyone else have advice/recommendations of other inner Sydney courses?

East Lakes.

Yes, it has a Club House with all the appointments of Egyptian Dunny. But the course is beter than good, the guys are pretty laid back and it is easy to get to. They also have a good selection of beers on tap.

And it is CHEAP !!!

Other than that - St Micks.

mikezone13
5th December 2008, 09:27 PM
East Lakes.

Yes, it has a Club House with all the appointments of Egyptian Dunny. But the course is beter than good, the guys are pretty laid back and it is easy to get to. They also have a good selection of beers on tap.

And it is CHEAP !!!

Other than that - St Micks.

I'm a member at Eastlakes and virge is right, course is in fantastic condition at the moment (the bits you're supposed to be on - fairways, greens etc) and has been for some time.

The development plan to 'redo' the course is in place with 2 holes redesigned last year and 2 new holes put in a couple years back.

Now the bridge over Wentworth has finally opened so there's no more crossing the road.

All in all very happy with my membership (been there 4 years) - yes the clubhouse is a like a crapper but the beer is cold and there's Foxtel HD on the HD plasma now as well as another couple of flat screens - has all the amenities (at a very standard) except a full bistro, although saturdays and sundays the barbie is cranked up.

Another great thing is that the member base also has a good troupe of younger guys goign through it and it's not busy at all during the week.

The onyl thing lacking is a decent practice area but we have a practice chipping hole (the old par 3 2nd) and you can practice from next to the 2nd (old 3rd) tee for the final 90 minutes of daylight during the week.

Another downside is that the joining fee for full members just went up to about $2k from $1k although annual subs are still $1200 or so and you can even do a pay by month option through the club directly.

Planet Golf
7th December 2008, 05:01 PM
I certainly appreciate and note all of your views. My concern about Eastlakes, other than the toilet block, is that it may lack any corporate culture in the clubhouse, lets face it, we are in business and the more contacts we can make, and sell to, the better. Thus I am leaning more towards a course which would have a culture more that way. Obviously RSGC, the NSW and The Aus would be perfect for this, however without family members who are members, I have buckleys of getting in.