PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 5th May 2008

Shaneo
5th May 2008, 08:56 AM
g'day for another week guys and girls.
hope everyone had a good weekends golfing

my happenings on the weekend.

Pennant yesterday at Waverley Golf Club.
ah by far the hardest course we'll play all season as the fairways are only 10 mts at the widest part.
In saying that they have only got 6 faiways as the other 8 are mud.

f/ways - 7/14
greens - 11/18
putts - 32
pars - 8
bogeys - 7
doubles - 1
birdies - 2

Played obsolutely shite house and still ended up having a half.
Should have dropped 4 easy putts but not to be.
Team had a half also and other results went our way to.
All we need is to halve our next match and we're playing in the final, so excited.

jaybam
5th May 2008, 02:23 PM
Played in the monday comp today. Not too bad except some disapointing putting. 78 for 35 points.

10 of 14 fairways
11 of 18 greens
a huge 36 putts

Had fun and thats the main thing :) Good luck with your scores this weeke everyone. Play well.

Jarro
5th May 2008, 02:24 PM
Nice shooting JB 8)

How are the new irons/bag going ?

jaybam
5th May 2008, 02:25 PM
The bag looks sharp and am starting to feel like i am getting the hang of these irons. Was a huge step going to these shafts. A lot more different than i thought it would be but still fun. Love playing around with the golf equipment. Thanks again for the bag as i said it looks good :)

Jarro
5th May 2008, 02:27 PM
So the rifle shafts are giving you the higher ballflight you were aftering*?

*sorry about the Alo-ism

jaybam
5th May 2008, 02:29 PM
Yup seems better. Alo was at carbrook this morning as well but playing with some family. The people you run into when playing golf huh lol.

Webster
5th May 2008, 02:46 PM
pars - 8
bogeys - 7
doubles - 1
birdies - 2

7 over par and you still managed a half in division 1 pennant? My goodness, standards have slipped a long way.....

Scottt
5th May 2008, 02:59 PM
7 over par and you still managed a half in division 1 pennant? My goodness, standards have slipped a long way.....

But Jack, it's the "highest level of amateur golf in Australia" is it not ?!

Webster
5th May 2008, 03:09 PM
of course it is.

you can shoot 9 over in Sydney and win!

3oneday
5th May 2008, 04:04 PM
You better come up then :roll:

Webster
5th May 2008, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't lower myself to playing on those crap Sydney tracks champ...

sms316
5th May 2008, 04:09 PM
Wouldn't be any good in Canberra. The standard is extremely high here.

Webster
5th May 2008, 04:12 PM
Wouldn't be any good in Canberra. The standard is extremely high here.

And the ACR's are unrealistically low.....

(you would get flogged playing pennant week-in week-out down here big boy...)

sms316
5th May 2008, 04:32 PM
And the ACR's are unrealistically low.....

(you would get flogged playing pennant week-in week-out down here big boy...)

If the ACR is too low then I would be playing off more than I should be.

jaybam
5th May 2008, 04:34 PM
Sounds too bitchy for me to try and venture either place :) Think i will stay up here in qld ( but queitly barack for nsw )

Webster
5th May 2008, 05:23 PM
Shaneo,

The course may be tight:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/threeputtzalot/Golf263.jpg

but hows the serenity on the back nine! :

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/threeputtzalot/Golf248.jpg

you get to see some good players though...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/threeputtzalot/Golf262.jpg

Grunt
5th May 2008, 05:26 PM
Wow that is more powerlines than Mac Grange!

Webster
5th May 2008, 05:29 PM
Wow that is more powerlines than Mac Grange!

But the atmosphere was electric:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/threeputtzalot/Golf250.jpg

Grunt
5th May 2008, 05:38 PM
Jack, you would know the place buzzes of a saturday morning. I remember that from Mac Grange.

jaybam
5th May 2008, 06:15 PM
Do the members there glow in the dark after a round???

shazza_rs
5th May 2008, 06:30 PM
.....my happenings on the weekend.......

Sorry to be a bit of a bitch shaneo but if these games are being played on the weekend, the dates would be 3rd/4th May.... so they should really be posted in the previous weeks thread. I go to look at who has started playing in the week and i'm always reading your posts from the previous week.....

shazza_rs
5th May 2008, 06:37 PM
Toowoomba (Middle Ridge) - 5/5/08 - Single Stab
----------------------------------------------
I had 35 points (19 and 16). Didnt keep stats cuz i was playing in my second round matchplay. I was playing a guy off 20 (so 9 shots to be given). Match was pretty close all the way through. I ended up losing 1 down. I was going okay but then i had to give a shot on a 120m par 3 (ss index 16), my par wasn't good enough for a half. I ended up winning 17 to be all square on the 18th. I had to give a shot (my index 1 hole). Not happy Jan. So my bogie 5 matched his bogie 5 but he had a shot. Bugger!

Eag's
5th May 2008, 07:08 PM
Bad luck shaz but well played anyways.

3oneday
5th May 2008, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't lower myself to playing on those crap Sydney tracks champ...and your head wouldn't fit across the border ?

:roll:

Shaneo
5th May 2008, 07:43 PM

it's not so much the standard thats dropped, it's the state and condition of the course.
it was terrible, we shouldn't have even played there, they should have moved us to another course.

Shaneo
5th May 2008, 07:45 PM
Sorry to be a bit of a bitch shaneo but if these games are being played on the weekend, the dates would be 3rd/4th May.... so they should really be posted in the previous weeks thread. I go to look at who has started playing in the week and i'm always reading your posts from the previous week.....

the only reason i do this is because i had a few people asking to keep them posted about pennant.
i'll stop the rot for next week.

Shaneo
5th May 2008, 07:49 PM
Shaneo,

The course may be tight:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/threeputtzalot/Golf263.jpg

but hows the serenity on the back nine! :

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/threeputtzalot/Golf248.jpg

you get to see some good players though...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/threeputtzalot/Golf262.jpg

i'm noy entirely sure if you know, but i'm kind of thinking you do but the guy in the last photo here, it's me putting, if i remember correctly it's the 6th?

Webster
5th May 2008, 07:56 PM
yep, thats you putting for par after hitting your second way right under the tree. I only saw one ball on that green in reg from about 20 attempts. Many were worse than yours though...

Shaneo
5th May 2008, 08:00 PM
i was disappointed i didn't get the chip on the green
i hit 3 wood from the f/way, the shot was perfect but i started it a bit right of where i wanted it.

AndyP
5th May 2008, 08:07 PM
the only reason i do this is because i had a few people asking to keep them posted about pennant.
i'll stop the rot for next week.
Shaz is just suggesting that you post it in the previous week's thread for our rounds, not to stop posting your scores altogether.

Shaneo
5th May 2008, 08:13 PM
yeah thats fine, no problems at all
we don't have pennant this week so i'll keep it for the week after :)

Flowergirl
6th May 2008, 09:01 AM
Jack - were you playing also or have you taken to stalking?

Scottt
6th May 2008, 10:11 AM
Jack was following Nathan 'Leatherwedge' Buzimkic around to make sure he didn't give his pill a (Buzim)kick in the rough.

Webster
6th May 2008, 11:04 AM
Jack - were you playing also or have you taken to stalking?

I like to watch. I pretty much go to the pennat most weeks for a looksy.

Nathan lost again this week Scottt, soundly beaten by one of the best amateur players in the country.

Scottt
6th May 2008, 11:14 AM
Why does Ray Beaufils' name ring a bell?

Shaneo
6th May 2008, 01:37 PM
Why does Ray Beaufils' name ring a bell?

he's in the national team
hits the ball miles

Shaneo
6th May 2008, 01:45 PM
Jack was following Nathan 'Leatherwedge' Buzimkic around to make sure he didn't give his pill a (Buzim)kick in the rough.

i've heard the same thing about nath.
i'm a mate of his and it's only been the last couple of months i've heard that about the kicking/moving the ball.

dc68
6th May 2008, 01:53 PM
he's in the national team
hits the ball miles

Was in the National team... currently out but his r/u finish in the QLD medal last week and a good showing in the Matchplay this week may see him back in.

Shaneo
6th May 2008, 01:59 PM
Was in the National team... currently out but his r/u finish in the QLD medal last week and a good showing in the Matchplay this week may see him back in.

last time i looked on the golf australia website they had him in it.
i guess they haven't updated it for a while.

dc68
6th May 2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.golfaustralia.org.au/default.aspx?s=players

Righto then.

Shaneo
6th May 2008, 02:19 PM
funny
i haven't actually looked for a while but good to see they have now
all things aside still a bloody good player.

dc68
6th May 2008, 02:32 PM
Nice young fella too.

Shaneo
6th May 2008, 02:44 PM
absolutely, great team mate too

sms316
6th May 2008, 05:24 PM
i've heard the same thing about nath.
i'm a mate of his and it's only been the last couple of months i've heard that about the kicking/moving the ball.

I played in an ACT v Vic match at Rich River last year and asked my Victorian opponent about the rumours. He pissed himself that someone from Canberra had heard it, and then told me the Vic side were under instruction to say he was away due to a knee injury.

He also told me that it was complete and utter bullshit that they were covering for a cheat.

jimandr
6th May 2008, 05:31 PM
6 down in the par event at Ashlar today with Grunt, Coffs and Chopper. After I hit a really bad shank on the fifth my confidence was shot, but I hit enough good shots to survive until my putting collapsed (partly though lack of interest) and I finished with three doubles for three minuses at the end.

Fairways = 5 of 13
Greens in reg = 7 of 18
Putts = 37, 2 3putts, one birdie
Up&Down = 0 of 8

Grunt
7th May 2008, 03:33 PM
Ashlar GC - 6/5/08

Par event
97 gross
4 fairways
1 GIR
4 Pars
4/13 Up & Downs
0/3 Sand Saves
2 penalties

Not a good day at all, played good in parts but played pretty poor golf. Short game was shocking and really needs work. I can't hit anything under 100m.

Cabramatta GC 7/5/08

Stableford event
28 points
95 Gross
7 Fairways
3 GIR
3 Pars
1 birdie
8 Penalties
33 points
1/9 Up & Downs
0/2 Sand Saves
5 wipes

Was a better day, had a shocking start to go wipe/wipe. hit some good shots but yet again the lack of any ability from under 100 out cost me plenty. It got to the stage of laying up to make sure i was a full shot from the green. This has got to stop it is killing my game.

Scottt
7th May 2008, 03:42 PM
Hey Grunt, this must be a different May 7, given you bailed on the game with us at Cumbo "because I'm playing the day before at Ashlar". Poor form.

Speaking of poor form, the numbers are in from Cumbo. Avoiding individual shame, I can reveal Virge, Andrew, Matt3Jab and I totalled 108 points between us. :(

Grunt
7th May 2008, 03:50 PM
Hey Grunt, this must be a different May 7, given you bailed on the game with us at Cumbo "because I'm playing the day before at Ashlar". Poor form.

Speaking of poor form, the numbers are in from Cumbo. Avoiding individual shame, I can reveal Virge, Andrew, Matt3Jab and I totalled 108 points between us. :(

Could not commit to today until this morning (lack of Funds), I rang around the clubs in the area and teed off at 10.

Shaneo
8th May 2008, 05:34 AM
played at southern yesterday.

f/ways - 12/14
greens - 15/18
putts - 35
bogeys - 2
birdies - 2

stableford and had 37 points off 1.
greens are still shit, 35 putts and i missed 9!!!! from inside 8 feet.
can't wait till the green get back to speed, by the way i'm hitting the ball around i should be havin some good scores ( well we can only hope )

Iain
8th May 2008, 10:00 AM
Played the monthly mug at the Bay yesterday. Played really well, had a lot of decent birdie putts, but could only make one of them. But did chip in for an eagle on 3!! Ended up with 37/39=76 for a nett 65. Unfortunately a 1 marker came in with 65 off the bat to beat me in A grade with a nett 64!!

Oh well, down to 10 for at least one round.

AndyP
8th May 2008, 10:11 AM
Great round, Iain. And more importantly, congratulations on finally passing me in handicap. ;)

Rusty
8th May 2008, 10:37 AM
top round Unit. and a nice reduction just in time for the Dingo Hill to.

Scottt
8th May 2008, 10:37 AM
Great work Iain. Don't you hate it when a stupidly low CCR robs you of .4?!

Shaneo
9th May 2008, 07:15 AM
southern yesterday

f/ways - 10/14
greens - 15/18
putts - 28
birdies - 7
bogeys - 3

game of the day, Par.
ended up with +5 ( with 3 wipes )
hitting the ball really well and i hope this round is the start to many good ones.
the greens have been prepared for ladies pennant (today) so they were rolling alright.
hopefully i can have a repeat performance tomorrow.
woohoo

3oneday
9th May 2008, 07:29 AM
We should have a Grunt and Shaneo "what did you shoot" and one for everyone else :lol:

Julie
9th May 2008, 07:36 AM
I was not impressed with my short game yesterday (lots of stupid silly shots around the green), but I still managed 36 stableford points.

Yes, I still love my new clubs.:smt060

Shaneo
9th May 2008, 11:55 AM
We should have a Grunt and Shaneo "what did you shoot" and one for everyone else :lol:

i maybe a bit slow but what do you mean by this ?????:-s

dc68
9th May 2008, 12:14 PM
It means you play a hell of a lot..... as does grunter.

Shaneo
9th May 2008, 12:43 PM
It means you play a hell of a lot..... as does grunter.

i normally play 3 -5 rounds a week.
makes up for the range time i don't want.

3oneday
9th May 2008, 01:35 PM
Just a joke Shaneo, thus the :lol: at the end. Most of us would be envious.

Having said that, I thought I read once where you are hoping to be a pro ? Not many of those don't hit balls I thought ?

Shaneo
9th May 2008, 02:24 PM
Just a joke Shaneo, thus the :lol: at the end. Most of us would be envious.

Having said that, I thought I read once where you are hoping to be a pro ? Not many of those don't hit balls I thought ?

Thats what i thought but i didn't want to assume the wrong thing.
Yeah i would love to be a pro. Hitting balls day in and day out takes a toll on your body, look at tiger and norman. Both have injures through practicing everyday. Well thats what i beleive. I reckon you get more out of playing than just hittin balls.

jaybam
9th May 2008, 02:35 PM
Well, played out at Gailes in the Dingo Classic thing they have every month. Cant say i will be in a hurry to try it again. Didnt bother keeping stats which is a good thing cause it could be ugly if i did lol. All i know is i shot 87 for a nett 81 . Great day :) Only saving point was pretty much every time i put it in a bunker i got up and down for par :)

AndyP
9th May 2008, 02:58 PM
09/05/2008, Dingo Hill Classic, Gailes GC.

10/15 effective tee-shots.
2/18 effective approaches (one of those I'd barely call effective).
5/10 up and down successes.
1/9 sand save successes (no hitlers).
32 putts.
-----------
4 pars.
10 bogeys.
4 others.
Score 47-44-91 nett 80 (Par 37-36-73)

I finally play a good round, have two weeks off, and it turns to shit again. I guess I can blame some of that on the length of the course, but I just didn't manage my misses very well today. I just knew I wasn't mentally switched on from the start.

There wasn't really any blowout holes, but a too many silly doubles for my liking, especially when I had a couple while I was striking it okay.

Next round: The Nudgee small round that has become a monster on Sunday the 18th.

jaybam
9th May 2008, 03:00 PM
Hey Andy are you counting your first drive as one of the effective ones???? Is all right though mate i know that we all had at least one of those today lol. Just on the quiet though yours went further than Iains. Sshhhhhhhhh. Didnt hear it from me :)

AndyP
9th May 2008, 03:05 PM
No, the first didn't count. It was shit, and I backed it up with a second top straight after it to blow any chance of parring that hole.

I might have been relatively straight off the tee, but I think I've lost even more distance off the little I had already. It makes for long approach shots.

Shaneo
10th May 2008, 11:39 AM
southern today

f/ways - 9/14
greens - 11/18
putts - 30
birdies - 1
bogeys - 2

36 points.
hit the ball fairly well but the greens are still a bit shite, they were better on thursday but they had been roled that morning.
6 putts heading in the middle of the hole then about 6 inches from they took a leg break that warnie would have been proud of.
i guess thats golf :smt102

haysey
10th May 2008, 03:21 PM
4 ball Stableford at Cairns today

43 points and figured on the card 14 times.

Does anyone know if its possible to get handicap reductions from these kind of rounds??

Pretty happy overall, haven't been under handicap in 4 months :D

Shaneo
10th May 2008, 03:34 PM
4 ball Stableford at Cairns today

43 points and figured on the card 14 times.

Does anyone know if its possible to get handicap reductions from these kind of rounds??

Pretty happy overall, haven't been under handicap in 4 months :D

yes you can.
the holes that you weren't on the card they'll give you bogeys for.
as a team you have to have over 40 points (as you're team has done) for them to even bother looking.

Stoney
10th May 2008, 03:34 PM
Monthly Medal at Wynnum Today

68 Gross 65 Nett

7/13 fairways
13/18 greens
28 putts
5 birdies
3 bogies

Shaneo
10th May 2008, 03:42 PM
Monthly Medal at Wynnum Today

68 Gross 65 Nett

7/13 fairways
13/18 greens
28 putts
5 birdies
3 bogies

look out, i think i see a monthly medal winner here :smt038

sms316
10th May 2008, 04:43 PM
4 red around Yowani this afternoon for 40 points. Hit it really well and could have easily had 6 or 7 if I putted well.

Only real drama was that I had the 6th best score of the day and the 5 better were all in A Grade. If there was ever an argument for abolishing grades and just giving vouchers to the top 10 for the day, then this is it.

jimandr
10th May 2008, 05:00 PM
sms, it all evens itself out in the end. There will be days when the B and C graders all shoot 40 points and 37 wins A grade.

As for me, I can't see where my next 37 point score is coming from. 31 points today, and it was embarassing. I couldn't hit a green, and then couldn't get my chips within 10 feet. I should have a few weeks off to relearn the game, but the golf weather in Sydney is really good at the moment, and I haven't got anything better to do.

Fairways = 7 of 14
Greens in reg = 2 of 18
Putts = 32, zero 3putts, zero birdies
Up&down = 3 of 12
Sand Saves = 1 of 3

sms316
10th May 2008, 05:47 PM
I know what you are saying, but when everyone keeps saying that handicaps are there to even things out, why do we have grades? Is the course that much different for a single figure marker versus a C Grader?

Stoney
10th May 2008, 07:30 PM
look out, i think i see a monthly medal winner here :smt038

Not likley at Wynnum Mate

A grade Winner had 70 net 59 Runner Up 72 net 63

All I could manage was best gross on a count back :shock:

markTHEblake
10th May 2008, 08:56 PM
Played my first game at my new club Helensvale today, was a 4BBB and qualifier for a matchplay honour board event.

We had a nice easy 50 points, won the comp and knocked up 5 birdies and an eagle - 30m pitch 2nd bounce, nothing but net :) never done that before!

and whoever said the 4th putt is easy, has obviously never played the 9th hole here. My partner had already wiped before getting to the green, i ended up making a 6 footer for 1 point :shock:, (after partner had wiped).

Shaneo
11th May 2008, 08:13 PM
I know what you are saying, but when everyone keeps saying that handicaps are there to even things out, why do we have grades? Is the course that much different for a single figure marker versus a C Grader?

the course is so much different between the single and a 'c' grader.
a single figure has to play good, most if not all the time to even get close to winning the comp.
the 'c' grader only has to hit the ball 6 or 7 less shots and they've got it in the bag.
same arguement, cored greens. single figure find it hard because we rely mostly on reading making putts,especially the speed of the greens, 'c' graders only have to hit the ball 6 shots less and the greens being slow makes it a little easier to 2 putt.

chappy1970
12th May 2008, 08:48 AM
Shaneo you have some good form in pennant at the moment, do you attribute this to fatherhood :)

I've always been meaning to go and watch the pennant just haven't had time recently.

I also used to go to school with Gerard W.

CHappy

Shaneo
12th May 2008, 12:14 PM
Shaneo you have some good form in pennant at the moment, do you attribute this to fatherhood :)

I've always been meaning to go and watch the pennant just haven't had time recently.

I also used to go to school with Gerard W.

CHappy

fatherhood is great and in some ways yes but others no
the no side, don't get much sleep
the yes side, i know if i have a bad round Maddi (my little girl) will be waiting at the front door with a smile, so i never lose.
also fatherhood teaches you patience and not to get angry because chances are if it happens once it will happen again

Shaneo
12th May 2008, 03:05 PM
played southern yesterday. (this one's for you shazza :lol:)

f/ways - 9/14
greens - 12/18
putts - 32
bogeys - 8
doubles - 1
birdies - 2
Balls onto Springvale Road - 2

29 points.
probably karma from playing golf on mother's day
not much to say really apart from i lost all sense of playing after my mate hurled a club 40-50 mts while 4 members on the green next to us watched him.
now he's worried about getting reported.
there's always next week :)

davidp
12th May 2008, 09:59 PM
Played Saujana Golf and Country Club (http://www.saujana.com.my/) on the weekend.

Had 102 off the stick. 57 on the front nine (10 - 18 of The Palms) 45 on the back nine (10 - 18 Bunga Raya course).

Very rusty, as it was only my 2nd round in 18 mths.

Managed to drive the green at a 270m dog leg par 4 with my 3 wood today, thanks to a predictable hook that I have off the tee with it. That was a very rare highlight.

Looking forward to maybe 1 more round before I go.