PDA

View Full Version : I need two putters cut down to 33"

Scottt
4th May 2008, 04:21 PM
What sort of coin should I be expecting to hand over?

One also needs a new grip.

Jarro
4th May 2008, 04:34 PM
Get a hacksaw and do it yourself :roll:

virge666
4th May 2008, 05:51 PM
If you bring them to Cumberland - I will do it and send them back to you for the cost of shipping.

It is a piece of piss.

sms316
4th May 2008, 06:29 PM
If it costs you more than the retail cost of the grip, tell them to get stuffed. Takes all of 30 seconds to cut off the butt of a shaft.

virge666
4th May 2008, 06:45 PM
If it costs you more than the retail cost of the grip, tell them to get stuffed. Takes all of 30 seconds to cut off the butt of a shaft.

nice one . . . very true

sms316
4th May 2008, 06:57 PM
Having said that, if saving the grip I think $5 is fair enough. If it was a member who was a regular customer, I wouldn't charge a cent.

Rusty
4th May 2008, 11:09 PM
if they're in business, $10 a club + cost of grip.

3oneday
5th May 2008, 07:54 AM
Yep, agree, $5 at least for their time. If you do one thing free everyone expects it !

sms316
5th May 2008, 08:28 AM
In 15 years in pro shops, I never charged once for a one off cut down. I always considered it a service that took next to no time.

A full set however, was a different story - $5 a club. If buying a new set of grips at the same time, maybe $2 a club.

The main thing to consider I guess, is that I worked at private golf clubs which had a pretty good rate of sale to members. Missing out on a $5 sale is worth it sometimes for the goodwill.

Toolish
5th May 2008, 11:03 AM
Depends, if you are a regular customer free...if you are a guy off the street $5-10 should do it

Shaneo
5th May 2008, 11:08 AM

to right
if you want a grip aswell i wouldn't charge for the cut down, even if i don't know the person.
then you'll find people might come back for other stuff in the future.
repeat business is always good

goughy
5th May 2008, 11:15 AM
Being a tradesperson, I hate people expecting some minor thing done for free. I've given out plenty of freebe's etc, both in stock and labour. But I don't do it for the person who thinks my 5 minutes is worth nothing. I usually wait till they're pulling out their wallets before I say 'don't worry 'bout it'.

Always offer to pay. And if you have to don't begrudge it. They are a business after all. But you'll be surprised how often these little thing will get done gratis if you don't expect it.

A side note - one Saturday when paying for my golf I needed a new pencil. The container was empty so I asked, and found they were all behind the counter. Turns out a long time regular saturday golfer would come in every saturday, pay for his golf them grab a new pencil on his way out without paying, not even a comment. So on Saturdays now, the pro removes all the pencils and puts them behind the counter to stop it. I bet he gets nothing done for free. Me, I've had the odd cut down putter, cheap spike changes, and I can't remember the last time the pro charged me for a pencil.

Scottt
5th May 2008, 11:48 AM
Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to get out of paying.

I phoned a place in Sydney to ask "how much to get two putters cut down, and the lie angle changed if need be?"

The response: "$20 a club to cut down and $40 if the lie angle needed changing".

I know very little about club repair, but that seemed steep.

goughy
5th May 2008, 11:55 AM
Sorry scottt (I feel like I'm stuttering), wasn't implying you're cheap or anthing.

But to me, that does seem steep! Was it a retail store or a pro-shop?

Scottt
5th May 2008, 12:41 PM
It was that place at Concord that is a Wishon outlet, The Golf Lab or something.

He also said that to adjust the lie angle he prefers to bend the shaft rather than the hosel. Is this common practise?

3oneday
5th May 2008, 12:46 PM
He also said that to adjust the lie angle he prefers to bend the shaft rather than the hosel.:shock:

I've heard they do really good work there !

not

Scottt
5th May 2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah, that raised a red flag with me, and I don't even know about those types of things.

goughy
5th May 2008, 02:32 PM
I would have thought it would make a club illegal to have bent the shaft yourself, even a putter. Of course, you can get bent putter shafts, but I guessed doing it after yourself might be against the rules.

virge666
5th May 2008, 02:44 PM
Lie angle on putters are VERY difficult - because there are about 10 different types of hosels... short of putting in soft jaws in a vice, the machines for bending them is VERY expensive.

As for grips - as I said, I will shorten them for free - just bring them with you to Cumberland. I am a pretty good clubmaker - I've got certificates and everything... :)

Enjoy

Toolish
5th May 2008, 03:19 PM
Virge...what certificates have you got...are there even any recognised clubmaking bodies in Oz?

virge666
5th May 2008, 06:12 PM
Virge...what certificates have you got...are there even any recognised clubmaking bodies in Oz?

Mate, all you need to work on clubs in oz is to sell Mars Bars to pensioners and clean a lot of carts... I think their is a multiple choice tafe exam somewhere along the way also.

I did 2 levels with Golf smith and 2 levels with Golfworks and Maltby. To be honest - most of clubfitting is now done on a computer. I do Lie loft and length with a bit of shaft selection... but it ain't like the old days of whippings and trimming.

A lot of it is looking at the swing and matching the hands to the clubhead type, and you learn most of that stuff by reading and playing.

I am still a fan of light with more loft and more stiff with more standard kinds of lengths. Fed up with 1 inch over 42 degree Pitching wedges. It is an 8 iron with the length of a 6 iron.

goughy
6th May 2008, 07:26 AM
Mate, all you need to work on clubs in oz is to sell Mars Bars to pensioners and clean a lot of carts... I think their is a multiple choice tafe exam somewhere along the way also.

I did 2 levels with Golf smith and 2 levels with Golfworks and Maltby.

But you have to get to level 3 to sell the poweraides!!!

mike
6th May 2008, 01:16 PM
In 15 years in pro shops, I never charged once for a one off cut down. I always considered it a service that took next to no time.

A full set however, was a different story - $5 a club.

I wish I knew where you were at the time, I would've bought in my irons ... one club at a time.

Dazza
25th May 2008, 02:36 PM
Our local pro is charging $10/club including Lamkin Ladies Crossline grips.
Fiancee needs some clubs shortened because they're an inch too long.