PDA

View Full Version : Wot's your cordless phone???

goughy
4th May 2008, 07:51 AM
Looking for new ones at work and home. Current ones are both going silly at the same time.

Looking at this one atm, http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=3014
as it gets a good recommendation from choice, and we like panasonic phones. And I can buy another base station for work and take one of the spare handsets there. Will work out cheaper for the lot then.

Anything else work looking at?

Grunt
4th May 2008, 08:53 AM
We bought this one recently
http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=3198

Very happy so far.

goughy
4th May 2008, 09:32 AM
This is something I find funny between the one I listed and the one you listed! Your's has a standby time of 14 days, the one I listed has 9 days. But the one I listed has a talk time of 22 hours, whereis yours has 13 hours! How does that work??

Grunt
4th May 2008, 10:43 AM
not sure maybe the power it uses when it is running at 5.8 GHz compared to the 1.8 Ghz.

Fishman Dan
5th May 2008, 09:36 AM
I bought a Panasonic the best part of 15 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat, except for needing a battery replaced.

We just bought a 5.8 Ghz for the mother in law on the farm and it's great - good range.

leighthebee
9th May 2008, 01:06 AM
Hey. I supply most Panasonics if you want a price.

I also supply the Siemens Gigasets which are a damn fine piece of kit.

The new E450 and the SL375 cover most of what businesses require these days.

PM if your interested.

goughy
9th May 2008, 07:53 AM
I'll keep it in mind. Might be a few weeks before we can do something. As far as the business goes, I'm just a little tradie working in a shed. The phone on my fax would do the trick, but I have the cordless so I can have it on my table.

leighthebee
9th May 2008, 08:25 AM
same, my office at home has no wall connection so I just run a cordless from the other room. i also use a bluetooth headset between my mobile and desktop phone so I'm always losing one of the three.

no hassles, if I can be of service let me know.

Jarro
12th May 2008, 02:56 PM
We might need to get a new one now, our old Telstra cordless has just packed it in :(

A mate at work told me Uniden make good phones ???

Grunt
12th May 2008, 03:07 PM
Go the Panasonic Jarro.

TS
12th May 2008, 04:05 PM
I got both Panasonic and Binatone one at home. They both work very well.

Dazza
12th May 2008, 04:17 PM
I've had both Panasonic and Uniden. Both great phones, with no issues at all.

Jarro
12th May 2008, 04:20 PM
So i guess it all boils down to the $$$$$$ factor then ?

Grunt
12th May 2008, 04:26 PM
Bang for buck, not sure if you can split the Uniden and the Panasonic. Really will depend on the retailer for that.

Jarro
15th June 2008, 03:51 PM
So what'd you end up getting Goughy ?

We're looking to replace our older Telstra phone very soon.

Grunt
15th June 2008, 03:58 PM
So what'd you end up getting Goughy ?

We're looking to replace our older Telstra phone very soon.

Didn't it die a month or so ago?

Jarro
15th June 2008, 03:59 PM
.. no, we performed some CPR and got it back ;)

Grunt
15th June 2008, 03:59 PM
Ohh, but it has suffered again.

goughy
15th June 2008, 04:00 PM
Haven't done anything about them yet. Work phone is a pita but I live with it.

Will get panny phones. Know which ones we want. Just being lazy. The ones we want operate on the 1.8ghz (I think that's right) so they are spose to have less interference from wireless devices and microwaves etc.

Fishman Dan
7th April 2009, 12:37 PM
As discussed to 2 threads about cordless phones (both started by Goughy!!)... my cordless has finally died. Truth of the matter is that someone in the house needs to learn to hang it up properly, but I'm not passing up an opportunity to buy a new one - the old Panasonic battery barely lasts 45 minutes talk time away from the cradle.

So.... models and/or price range. Considering I spent $200 15 years ago on a basic phone with hands-free (no answering machine), what can I expect to pay these days?

45 minutes until I rendevous with JB HiFi and counting........

AndyP
7th April 2009, 12:38 PM
We always seem to buy ours using our flybuy points, as it's something I couldn't ever be bothered looking into.

Fishman Dan
7th April 2009, 12:46 PM
We always seem to buy ours using our flybuy points, as it's something I couldn't ever be bothered looking into.

That's something we looked at some time ago, but instead of paying $200 worth of credit with these reward schemes, I'd rather get a $200 voucher at Harvey Norman and get the same phone for $170.

Rewards schemes make it easy, but you effectively pay RRP. We tend to get vouchers, or more recently petrol cards for Shell/Caltex.

AndyP
7th April 2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I've moved to that line of thinking too (like with our recent holiday), but sometimes the missus beats me to the purchase.

giddyupgaz
7th April 2009, 01:55 PM
We got a Uniden for the home office, with an extra handest for the house. Its an absolute pearler, 5.8 Ghz is the go, doesn't interfere with the wireless computer network and excellent clarity. Two thumbs up from me.

Fishman Dan
7th April 2009, 03:16 PM
I just checked out the range. What range?! Seems like Panasonic only make a couple these days, Uniden make heaps that all have answering machines, and Telstra's products look crap.

Very hard to spend under $150 - all I want is a single handset?! Didn't check Dick Smith, just JB HiFi and a small Harvey Norman.

Courty
7th April 2009, 04:02 PM
We've got a Telstra set atm which is only 2 years old. It's on its last legs already. :roll:

I was looking at some Uniden stuff at Myer last weekend and it certainly looks to have everything we need. The feature I liked most was that you can copy the phonebooks between the handsets (I hate having to program the numbers 3 times into the existing Telstra handsets).

Fishman Dan
7th April 2009, 06:43 PM
We've got a Telstra set atm which is only 2 years old. It's on its last legs already. :roll:

I was looking at some Uniden stuff at Myer last weekend and it certainly looks to have everything we need. The feature I liked most was that you can copy the phonebooks between the handsets (I hate having to program the numbers 3 times into the existing Telstra handsets).

Your timing is awesome. We were having the "chat" (um, domestic) on the way home tonight about Telstra handsets. I flatly refuse to buy Telstra junk, it's usually rebranded dog turd ;)

I'll wind up at Dick Smith tomorrow and buy something, either Uniden or Panasonic. The Panasonic is my preference, but that crappy fake-chrome plastic look is shite.

goughy
7th April 2009, 07:08 PM
Got this one for work, and another of it with the extra handset for home.
http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=4011

Does the job and seems to be working fine. Charge seems to last a long time as it stays off the base station a lot at work. Seems well within your budget. Also got a good review on Choice a while ago. Just checked and it was the Choice best buy.

Xray
7th April 2009, 07:21 PM
I recently bought a Uniden phone 5.8ghz, 2 handsets, answering machine on base station. Was going to buy a Panasonic, but Uniden are giving an extended 3 year warranty up until May I think, so that tipped me in favour of the uniden.

henno
7th April 2009, 08:29 PM
I recently bought a Uniden phone 5.8ghz, 2 handsets, answering machine on base station. Was going to buy a Panasonic, but Uniden are giving an extended 3 year warranty up until May I think, so that tipped me in favour of the uniden.

I have the same phone. Had it for a couple of years. Great buy. No regrets.

Fishman Dan
7th April 2009, 09:29 PM
Got this one for work, and another of it with the extra handset for home.
http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=4011

Does the job and seems to be working fine. Charge seems to last a long time as it stays off the base station a lot at work. Seems well within your budget. Also got a good review on Choice a while ago. Just checked and it was the Choice best buy.

http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-panasonic-kx-tg1855als-price-151269.html

:-k

LarryLong
7th April 2009, 10:45 PM
I bought an old-skool SCR 900MHz one after reading some kook's paper on the effects of radiation from DECT phones (and baby monitors too) on infants.

I'm also wearing a tinfoil hat as I type this.

goughy
8th April 2009, 07:02 AM
I'm also wearing a tinfoil hat as I type this.

Do you have antenna on that hat!! :)

Fishman Dan
8th April 2009, 10:53 AM
Guys.... DECT vs non-DECT.

What's the difference? Found a decent Panasonic 5.8 Ghz phone and notice it's significantly cheaper than any DECT phone.

Note that my house isn't large, but we do have wireless internet (@ 2.4 Ghz) with a router and 3 wireless devices (2 x PC's and an iPhone) spread over the house, and a microwave tucked into one corner.