PDA

View Full Version : Read any good books lately?

AndyP
28th October 2004, 12:20 PM
I have just finished reading "Naked Empire" by Terry Goodkind, Book 8 of the Sword of Truth series. It was OK, but not his best work. I started reading it earlier this year, but realised a couple of chapters in that I couldn't recall everything that had happened previously, and went back and read the 7 books leading up to it. :roll:

I'm now onto "Harry Potter and The Order of Phoenix" by J.K. Rowling, the 5th in the series. Although I was tempted to go back and read from the start of the series, I couldn't be bothered and have jumped straight into this one.
Although these books are aimed at teenagers, the author is an excellent story-teller, and I find them to be a great read. :)

Still got a few books waiting for me on a shelf at home.

What are you reading at the moment?
Any recommendations?
Your favourite author?

amanda
28th October 2004, 12:51 PM
AndyP - Terry Goodkind seems to be doing a Robert Jordan these days - I just want the bloody series to end!

The last great book I read was The DaVinci Code.

Flowergirl
28th October 2004, 12:54 PM
I too am a huge Harry Potter fan. Takes me back to my childhood and reading Enid Bylton.

Like half of the world it seems - I've read Dan Brown's " The DaVinci Code" and throughly enjoyed it. Ok it is not a "literary masterpiece" ( most of which I find boring as batsh$t) but it is a darn good yarn and I enjoyed that and "Demons & Angels" as well.

Yesterday cos it was raining I read a book called "the Kite Runner" ( not sure of the author. ) It is a story of two young boys from different backgrounds who grow up as friends in Afganistan during the 1970's and what happens to their lives. Very powerful and an amazing insight into a culture that I knew very little of.

I have had to force myself to change my reading habits. I was finding that everything I was reading was about serial killings and it was getting a bit creepy that I started to believe that I could commit the perfect murder and get away with it. :wink:

AndyP
28th October 2004, 12:59 PM
AndyP - Terry Goodkind seems to be doing a Robert Jordan these days - I just want the bloody series to end!
Mandy, his next book will be the beginning of the end. Book 9, "Chainfire" will be the first in a series of three books that will detail the story that wraps it all up.
So three books to go. :)

I haven't read any Robert Jordan books yet. I'll get around to it one day, I suppose. What's he upto now? 11? 12?

That's a book about a codebreaker/safecracker in the FBI or something isn't it? Isn't there a couple of those?

AndyP
28th October 2004, 01:03 PM
I have had to force myself to change my reading habits. I was finding that everything I was reading was about serial killings and it was getting a bit creepy that I started to believe that I could commit the perfect murder and get away with it. :wink:
FG, have you read Cornwalls Scarpetta novels. They are pretty good, and she is constantly releasing a new one. I think I am 4 or 5 behind. :?

I too am a huge Harry Potter fan. Takes me back to my childhood and reading Enid Bylton.
I haven't read an Enid Blyton book for ages. I think I have some Famous Five and Secret Seven books hidden away somewhere.
I wonder how they would read now.

amanda
28th October 2004, 01:08 PM
That's a book about a codebreaker/safecracker in the FBI or something isn't it? Isn't there a couple of those?
It's a conspiracy novel about the Catholic Church and the secrets held by the church to maintain their power. The book has even spawned tours of the places in the book in Paris (apparently the French are not amused!)

Edited - thanks FG!

Flowergirl
28th October 2004, 01:17 PM
Good on you Amanda - just give away the plot next time why don't you!!! :?
:wink:

Flowergirl
28th October 2004, 01:21 PM
Andy - yes I have read those you mentioned. Also am a fan of Michael Connelly Minette Walters. I am one of those people who forgets the name of authors though.
Enid Blyton also wrote The Magic Faraway Tree series - oh I so loved them when I was a kid. :D

markTHEblake
28th October 2004, 01:48 PM
Enid Blyton also wrote The Magic Faraway Tree series - oh I so loved them when I was a kid. :D

I still read 'em!

(ok ok i am reading them to my kids. its kinda fun doing the voices)

AndyP
28th October 2004, 01:56 PM
Good on you Amanda - just give away the plot next time why don't you!!! :?
:wink:
Oh Crap! I read amanda's initial post and I haven't read the book. :x :P

mTb, I thought you would have been more of a Noddy fan.

Flowergirl
28th October 2004, 02:20 PM

I still read 'em!

(ok ok i am reading them to my kids. its kinda fun doing the voices)

Oh Mark I would just love to hear you do the voices of Jo & Bessie - but not sure what sorta voice you would use for Fanny? :wink: I just love Moonface and Silky.

davidp
28th October 2004, 02:32 PM
Apart from numerous children's books, some repeated night after night..I recently read "Coastliners" by Joanne Harris.

She also wrote "Chocolat".

Joanne Harris writes character driven storylines very well.

Flowergirl
28th October 2004, 02:43 PM
Apart from numerous children's books, some repeated night after night..I recently read "Coastliners" by Joanne Harris.

She also wrote "Chocolat".

Joanne Harris writes character driven storylines very well.

Must look out for that one.

Oh just remembered another author I really like and that is Tim Winton. Recently read Dirt Music......wish I could think of something more profound than just - a real good read- very real characters who I related to - descripitive images that "place" you in the book - and a lot of scope for the reader to make their own discoveries regarding the plot.

AndyP
28th October 2004, 02:52 PM
Oh just remembered another author I really like and that is Tim Winton.
Isn't Tim Winton the author of "Cloud Street", the book that TripleMs Shebang keep reading?

davidp
28th October 2004, 03:00 PM
Oh just remembered another author I really like and that is Tim Winton.
Isn't Tim Winton the author of "Cloud Street", the book that TripleMs Shebang keep reading?

Yep, I think Cloudstreet was Tim Winton's best book. I didn't enjoy "Dirt Music" as much. Reading his first piece of work, that he completed while at uni in WA was a revelation to me. I couldn't believe anyone that young could be that talented.

Can't remember the title, but was based around a fishing village..

macleod
28th October 2004, 03:16 PM
yeah cloud street is timmy :)

i got through a whole bang of books whilst being unemployed, i like to read 4-5 simultaneously to stop my interest from waning and only just finished the pile recently due to overdue fees. ;)

few different subject, mostly interrelated but some fiction in their as well.

The Darwin wars : the scientific battle for the soul of man, excellent observance of the competing streams of darwinism, ie dawkins vs gould

Life's solution : inevitable humans in a lonely universe - big read this one....pair it with some manga comics is the best bet.....maybe 'dirty pair' or something....

Umberto Eco's, Serendipities : language & lunacy, keep false starting this one, good read about languange development

greek philospohers stuff, one compilation, one on aristoltle (was a bugger for the bottle), some nice history, give me some juicy cartesian duellism and nietzche anyday...

Freud's 'Civilization and it's discontents' - found this copy at the flea market, it's excellent and short so seek it out. good translation copy actually.

Horgan's The end of science : facing the limits of knowledge in the twilight of the scientific age , excellent...i've got a few on the limitations of science and knowledge and this one covered interviews he had with all the major streams giants throughout the 90's. he writes for scientific american so it was really well researched and the interviews balanced against opposing idealisms in the streams...nice stuff

Gary Zukav's classic 'the Dancing Wu Li masters" all phyics, mostly quantum

michio kaku's hyperspace...i own it but a few pages went missing so when you jump the parts about higher dimensions and light being a vibration in the 5th dimension it's time to go have a beer....

Ethan Hawke's Ash Wednesday, he's a very good observational writer in terms of his dual portrayl first person of the 2 main characters. clipped delivery like human thoughts. Much better than i thought it would be but i like ethan's roles, the wifey got it out and i nicked it first day to read concurrently with the scienece and..

john irving's 'the cider house rules', excellent stuff. i guess a lot of people had seen the movie but it's a huge landscape of a book and an ecellent read. spans the main characters homer's life for about 60+ years.

and a crap BBC publication of the 'The Vikings" series. the series i remembered was OK but the guy once he sat down to authors this was a prat. it's so disjointedly written it's almost a farce. He's done some serious research and pulled it together in one spot but he is not a good writer. I dislike badly organised scientific works. Crap non-linear writing but it's got a huge amount of the info i wanted to see in it after my interest was peaked again upon seeing a viking hog-back gravestone in scotland in Luss's church graveyard on loch lomond.

And to salve my mind i've re-read my entire calvin and hobbes collection and my Get Fuzzy books again over the last 2 months plus my Appleseed novellas and 1500 of my comic collection :D that's the stuff i really like eh?

god, i'll crack out the eddings again shortly and see if i can get through them all....

AndyP
28th October 2004, 03:35 PM
god, i'll crack out the eddings again shortly and see if i can get through them all....
His latest stuff is crap. I think it is because his missus is officially credited with co-authoring now, and is taking over. :x
I've got a mate hooked on them now, and he is two books into the Mallorean series.

macleod
28th October 2004, 03:53 PM
i have the pile of the sparhawk ones. after getting rhgouh the second series of that i realised how formuliac his stuff was.....to the point where his characterisations began to annoy me. still didn't mind the premise though....and a good read, everyone likes it when revenge gets dished out.

all his work was coauthored? i stopped at sparhawk, none of the prequels. read the 2x5 book ones before that with polgara et al...

i read most of the dragonlance stuff after my d&d days as well, some good writers in amongst those guys like richard a knaak.

AndyP
28th October 2004, 04:01 PM
all his work was coauthored? i stopped at sparhawk, none of the prequels. read the 2x5 book ones before that with polgara et al...
Yes, all of them. All re-releases would have David and Leigh Eddings on them now.

His more recent works are Redemption of Althalus (stand-alone), and a new series. There are two so far, The Elder Gods, and The Dreamers, of which, I have read the first.
Also read a non-fantasy novel they wrote called Regina's Song, a terrible read.
The conversations and interaction between characters now is just plain annoying.

BrisVegas
28th October 2004, 04:02 PM
I just picked up the latest edition of Wheels Magazine. I'm a huge fan of cars and stuff... :lol:

what? :o Not deep enough for ya? :lol: :lol:

Jarro
28th October 2004, 05:05 PM
I just picked up the latest edition of Wheels Magazine. I'm a huge fan of cars and stuff... :lol:

what? :o Not deep enough for ya? :lol: :lol:

i hear ya Vegas :smt023

.. most of the books i "read" have lots of pictures and not a lot of writting :smt016

Fishman Dan
28th October 2004, 05:17 PM

.. most of the books i "read" have lots of pictures and not a lot of writting :smt016

Which of course you buy for the articles... :roll:

Jarro
28th October 2004, 05:28 PM

Which of course you buy for the articles... :roll:

.. of course :P

Courty
28th October 2004, 06:25 PM
Currently reading Neil Asher's 'Gridlinked'. Not bad, much better than the first one of his I read which was a bunch of crap.

Best book I've read in some time would be 'Fallen Dragon' by Peter Hamilton. Awesome ending! If you like grandiose tales set on an enormous stage with multiple intertwined storylines (dare I say it, 'epic'), read his Night's Dawn trilogy. Each book is over 1000 pages, but well worth the read.

Also used to be a James Patterson (Kiss The Girls, Along Came a Spider) fan. Excellent quick-moving crime thrillers.

I've heard good things about Dan Brown, and will be reading 'Da Vinci Code', 'Deception Point' and 'Digital Fortress' as soon as I finish Neil Asher, maybe even before then if it doesn't pick up.

AndyP
28th October 2004, 07:31 PM
Currently reading Neil Asher's 'Gridlinked'. Not bad, much better than the first one of his I read which was a bunch of crap.

Courty, why are you reading a second book of his, if you didn't like the first? :?

Courty
28th October 2004, 08:56 PM
Courty, why are you reading a second book of his, if you didn't like the first? :?

A friend of mine has read all his books already and told me to ignore the first one as being an abherration. :shock:

Choppa
28th October 2004, 09:42 PM
I don't read too much anymore, but the best of all time for me was the series of 3 books, River God, The Seventh Scroll and one other that I can't remember.
Very good read. For someone who loves tv, to not be able to put a book down is really something.

Choppa
28th October 2004, 09:50 PM
The third one was Warlock - all by Wilbur Smith.

Loved Bravo Two Zero by Andy MacNab too. Then I read every rebuttal (where's the spell checker when you need it) ever written that kinda took the gloss off, but still interesting.

Got a couple of books that detail the "birth of time". Just talks about how our ancestors came up with the modern calander. A truely amazing read.

Oh and the best one by far.............NET for Dummies :wink:

markTHEblake
30th October 2004, 07:36 PM
Loved Bravo Two Zero by Andy MacNab too. Then I read every rebuttal (where's the spell checker when you need it) ever written that kinda took the gloss off, but still interesting.

I havent read them all but I guess i read the most important one, the guy who retraced the steps. It was interesting what he proved to be bull, and what was proved to be true. The astounding thing is why on some points was Ryan and Mcnab so inconsistent, and illogical.

I want to read the books written by the RSM, and another by the Kiwi guy (the dentist).

McMw
30th October 2004, 08:06 PM
not much of a book reader - rather be watching DVDs at night...
but the last book I read was Simon Cowell's (title escapes me) autobio and take on AI1 and AI2...

markTHEblake
30th October 2004, 09:00 PM
Macleod that is an amazing array of stuff you are reading there. Cant beleive you didnt mention Dirk Gently though ;-)

wavemaker
31st October 2004, 10:40 AM
i haven't picked up a book for a couple of months now, what with moving and all, but the last book i read was "SHANTARAM" by gregory david roberts. i thought it was probably one of the best books i have ever read. also like tim winton.

damoocow
31st October 2004, 10:48 PM

yes one of the most boring books ever written by one of the most boring authors ever [apart from Nick Earls - who is even more boring if that is at all possible]

damoocow

AndyP
1st November 2004, 09:18 AM
Tim Winton - Cloud Street
one of the most boring books ever written by one of the most boring authors ever [apart from Nick Earls - who is even more boring if that is at all possible]

Can you recommend some authors?
Any books that you go through with the kids at school, or is that something that is set?

damoocow
2nd November 2004, 08:51 PM
Andy - for comedy try anything by Tom Sharpe or The Darwin Awards series compiled by Wendy Northcutt - for golf try anything by John Feinstein and for revving yourself up and getting angry with the world try anything by John Pilger.
damoocow

cazandpaul
3rd November 2004, 06:03 AM
My favourite authors at present:

Patricia Cornwall - just finished 'Blowfly' and 'Trace'.
Clive Cussler
Matthew Reilly

Golf books

As suggested above anything by John Feinstein - recently read 'The Open' which is a behind the scenes look at how the US Open at Bethpage Black was staged.

Just a Range Ball in a Box of Titliests - Gary McCord - pretty funny if you like the author.

Fishman Dan
3rd November 2004, 08:48 AM
A comment was made during the weather this morning that reminded me of;

And the Ass Saw The Angel by Nick Cave. If you are into Nick Cave's music, then you might like to give this book a shot. He has a certain way with his narrative in his songs, and this is no exception.

AndyP
3rd November 2004, 09:32 AM
My favourite authors at present:

Patricia Cornwall - just finished 'Blowfly' and 'Trace'.

What do you think of Cornwall's non-Scarpetta novels?
I read "Isle of Dogs", and thought it was terrible.

Ducky
14th November 2004, 04:05 AM
Just finished Tom Clancy's 'Rainbow Six'.

It's a good book if you're interested in the black-ops, etc.

:)

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

cazandpaul
14th November 2004, 06:23 AM
Sorry Andy - missed your response - you are right as I think she hit a winning formula with Scarpetta and then maybe tried to wring a little bit too much out of it by going off on a tangent.

AndyP
14th November 2004, 11:07 AM
Finished Harry Potter: Order of Phoenix last week. Good book, got a little bored in the middle, but finished strongly. I think the 4th: Goblet of Fire is the best one to date. 8)

On to Jimmy the Hand, followed by King of Foxes, both by Raymond Feist. I can highly recommend this author, if you are into fantasy novels.

AndyP
7th December 2004, 05:13 PM
Has anyone read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson?

After finishing the Feist novels, I was going to give Dan Brown a go after your recommendations, but I came across a copy of the first Covenant trilogy in one book for $8, so I grabbed it.

I first read it when I was in early high school, and fortunately can't remember that much of the plot at all, so it's like reading it for the first time. I find Donaldson is a bit "heavier" than Feist, Eddings et al.

I also noticed that he has just returned to this world, 27 years after he wrote the first book, and is releasing the Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (first in the series out now).

amanda
7th December 2004, 05:20 PM
AndyP - let me know if you want the rest of the Thomas Covenant books - I have the 1st & 2nd series - donated to me by a friend - I didn't like them much.

AndyP
7th December 2004, 05:27 PM
AndyP - let me know if you want the rest of the Thomas Covenant books - I have the 1st & 2nd series - donated to me by a friend - I didn't like them much.
Thanks Mandy. I'll let you know. 8)

Courty
8th December 2004, 08:16 AM

No, but I'm currently reading the Gap series by said author.

AndyP
8th December 2004, 09:14 AM

I think I read the first couple of those, as they were being released. I either lost interest or forgot about reading them. :?

What are your thoughts, Courty?

amanda
8th December 2004, 10:06 AM
I find that reading Stephen Donaldson always makes me feel depressed! I only read a few of the Gap series before they just made me feel too bleach :?

AndyP
8th December 2004, 11:20 AM
I find that reading Stephen Donaldson always makes me feel depressed! I only read a few of the Gap series before they just made me feel too bleach :?
Warning: Slight Spoiler. ;)
You get off to a good start in the Covenant series, when the main character (a leper) rapes someone within the first few chapters. :shock: :roll:
Makes it a little hard to find the "hero" likeable.

Bruce
8th December 2004, 11:27 AM
Ah, Thomas Covenant. He really stirs things up.

I recently followed this year's literary fashion and read THE DA VINCI CODE. Having seen 1/3 of all people reading on the train making their way through this.

F*****ING BILGE!!!!

I was holding my nose at the 200 page mark. I started to gag occasionally by the 400th page. When he insulted my intelligence for the 50th time about page 500 the book sailed across the room to the far wall.

It is the worst book I have completed reading.

amanda
8th December 2004, 11:33 AM
Bruce - interesting - the DaVinci code seems to stir up the same emotions as golf - people either loved it or hated it.

Courty
8th December 2004, 12:25 PM

I think I read the first couple of those, as they were being released. I either lost interest or forgot about reading them. :?

What are your thoughts, Courty?

I have only just started the 2nd book out of curiosity,as the first one was so short. :? For a science-fiction themed story, it is pretty good considering how long ago the book was written, although he does avoid using too much technical jargon. 'Forbidden Knowledge' is just managing to hold my interest at the moment, so I am switching between it and 'Line of Polity' by Neal Asher.

I am anxiously awaiting the sequel to 'Pandora's Star' by Peter Hamilton. :shock:

Golfgirl
8th December 2004, 02:16 PM
Gosh - you lot are prolific readers for people who spend so much time on the computer and the golf course.... :shock:

Nah - just kidding - I was actually just having a giggle at how much or tastes seem to coincide when it comes to books..... :wink:

I'm not reading anything exciting atm, but I have recently purchased a scrabble board where I have been thrashing hubby nearly every night.... (he's nearly ready to give up playing with me I think....) :D

AndyP
8th December 2004, 02:21 PM
Gosh - you lot are prolific readers for people who spend so much time on the computer and the golf course.... :shock:
I used to read a lot more, but now it's just on the train, or just before lights out.

Flowergirl
9th December 2004, 08:57 AM
I used to read a lot more, but now it's just on the train, or just before lights out.

Gee guys............I have better things to do at night before the lights go out and it aint readin and it aint scrabble!!!!!!!!!

Golfgirl
9th December 2004, 08:07 PM
Gee guys............I have better things to do at night before the lights go out and it aint readin and it aint scrabble!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah - now there's a hobby I should take up again sometime soon..... :roll: :wink: :lol:

damoocow
9th December 2004, 09:56 PM
Before this thread gets totally sidetracked by the loose women and their sordid tales - let me say I am currently reading
"KING - the life and comedy of Graham Kennedy"
by Graeme Blundell - it is a corker - what an amazing life.

damoocow

Golfgirl
9th December 2004, 10:06 PM
Before this thread gets totally sidetracked by the loose women and their sordid tales

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ducky
9th December 2004, 10:40 PM
Gee guys............I have better things to do at night before the lights go out and it aint readin and it aint scrabble!
You like watching Sports Tonight too?

:smt069

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Flowergirl
10th December 2004, 02:00 PM
Before this thread gets totally sidetracked by the loose women and their sordid tales - let me say I am currently reading
"KING - the life and comedy of Graham Kennedy"
by Graeme Blundell - it is a corker - what an amazing life.

damoocow

Yea...............I knew we would find some common ground one day Damoocow. I read that bio last year ( great read for a long plane flight) and found it enthralling. I must read it again cos I probably didn't take all of it in.
( and just to make you happy I won't use any emoticons)

AndyP
11th January 2005, 03:31 PM
After dropping off a Dr. Bob book (another good one) at the library, I thought I would see what else was in the golfing section.

I came across the following book by Deepak Chopra: "Golf for Enlightenment - The Seven Lessons for the Game of Life". It grabbed my attention, and won't be anything like I have read before, so I have borrowed it.

Here is the excerpt quoted on the back:
"Golf is played in a manmade Eden, a garden. The setting is made beautiful to refresh the senses, and when you step onto the course you have a second chance at paradise. Approaching the game from spirit, golf is no longer about winning but about growing. As much as some people make this game their religion, they haven't yet found it's spiritual core. Golf is meant to be a journey to mastery, and when you achieve that mastery, your life in general will be enormously expanded, far beyond anything you now imagine."

Could be a very interesting read. :-s

Just finished the second book in the first Covenant series too. Not too bad, but I have been losing interest in places.

cazandpaul
11th January 2005, 04:03 PM
Just finished Digital Fortress by Dan Brown - while his writing style is a bit ordinary the concept behind the story and his research of the subject are really interesting. Haven't read The Davinci Code yet but am going to give it a try.

Have got the Ben Hogan autobiography next to the bed - should be really interesting.

Anonymous
11th January 2005, 08:14 PM
I can highly recommend Michael Crichton's latest, State of Fear (which eerily involves a tsunami) and John Birmingham's Weapons of Choice. Both are great holidays reads if you like a thriller.

Eag's
11th January 2005, 09:50 PM
Anything written by Robert G. Barrett :smt023
The man is a genius!! anyone who loves Aussie humour will get something out of his books.
Plenty of Sex, fights, drugs and bloody funny material :wink:

Grunt
11th January 2005, 09:55 PM
Well I am reading at the moment Remembering Hooksey a compilation of stories about the cricketer David Hookes.

Quite informative for the cricket lover and also for the sports minded person.

Anonymous
12th January 2005, 06:50 AM
Great stuff.
Two of my favourites were when Glenn McGrath said to some Zimbabwean batsman "Why are you such a fat bastard?"
He apparently replied. "Because everytime I f&*k your wife she gives me a biscuit!" They reckon the entire Australian slips cordon cracked up.
Another one I liked was Geoff Boycotts reply to a quip about his large backside. "Ay lad, you need a big hammer to drive a big nail"
My favourite golf one would be when Peter Senior's caddy was getting tired of taking the blame for Pete having a shocker of a round. "You gave me the wrong yardage" said Senior at one stage. "No I didn't, it went into the water pin high", was the reply.

Anonymous
12th January 2005, 06:55 AM
Oops, don't mind me! I'm still learning. I put the above in the wrong thread. :oops:

mike
12th January 2005, 02:06 PM
I recently followed this year's literary fashion and read THE DA VINCI CODE. Having seen 1/3 of all people reading on the train making their way through this.

F*****ING BILGE!!!!

I was holding my nose at the 200 page mark. I started to gag occasionally by the 400th page. When he insulted my intelligence for the 50th time about page 500 the book sailed across the room to the far wall.

It is the worst book I have completed reading.

I thought it was one of the most thought provoking books I've ever read, Bruce. As a practicing catholic I found it fascinating. I kept wondering how much of this stuff could be true. Pure brilliance.
Which part insulted your intelligence ?

Just finished Digital Fortress by Dan Brown - while his writing style is a bit ordinary the concept behind the story and his research of the subject are really interesting. Haven't read The Davinci Code yet but am going to give it a try.

I just finished Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.

It's a ripper.

Bruce
12th January 2005, 03:31 PM
Where do I begin...

For a start, his "facts" and interpretations of those "facts" were breathtaking leaps of faith. For example, I can see why he doesn't include the artwork he interprets anywhere in the book. It isn't for copyright reasons as they are all public domain now. Get yourself a good reproduction of The Last Supper and then re-read the paragraph where he tries to turn John into Mary. "You have got to be kidding" was my reaction. Try the other artworks too like hte Madonna of the Rock. My imagination doesn't stretch far enough to see what he needed me to see to match is leaps.

The Priory of Scion is a fantasy created to link a disaffected Frenchman with great European men of history. It is a con and even the guy who committed the con admitted it in court. To claim this as a "fact" in the prologue really sets the scene for the bullshit that is about to flow.

And as for the "sacred feminine" crap he hits you over the head with every second page.
"Millions of women burned by the church" - shyeah right.
Church doorways are designed to look like vaginas - :shock:
The "truth" of the apocrapha - Oh come on!

To top it off, it was just outright badly written. To have things revealed to the characters but hidden from the reader is the most tedious and ham fisted method of building tension. The puzzle solving is miraculous with every required meaning from a clue extracted and He is even guilty of having himself as the protaganist. Why do writers insist that the nerdy, wordy guy always ends up saving the world and getting the hot chick.

Hmmm... I didn't realise I was that pissed off with this book.

amanda
12th January 2005, 03:53 PM
I'm more surprised that Tom Hanks will be playing the lead role in the movie :shock:

I imagined more like a George Clooney 8)

Courty
12th January 2005, 05:47 PM
I can see why he doesn't include the artwork he interprets anywhere in the book. It isn't for copyright reasons as they are all public domain now.

He does, I'm currently reading the illustrated version, complete with nice piccies of all of the artworks. I'm not far enough into it to see what you are talking about though.

Hmmm... I didn't realise I was that pissed off with this book.

Something's obviously got your goat about this book. Maybe I'll have more an idea when I've read more (only read the first 4 chapters so far).

What I will say is this, no matter how much the book claims to be 'fact', it is a work of fiction and should be treated as such. I'll reserve further judgement until I've read it all.

I'm more surprised that Tom Hanks will be playing the lead role in the movie
I imagined more like a George Clooney

From the description I got in the first pages, I imagined someone more like Harrison Ford or (shudder) Richard Gere. Isn't is funny how different people interpret these characters... well, differently. :roll:

mike
13th January 2005, 07:59 AM
I don't care who plays Langdon in the movie, as long as it's not Steven Segal .

mike
13th January 2005, 08:04 AM
Bruce , I know it's only DaVinci's interpretation of what happened, but have a good look at 'The Last Supper'. Looks a hell of a lot more like a 'Mary' than a 'John ' to me.

Well said Courty, it is fiction.

:roll:

AndyP
13th January 2005, 09:00 AM
So does this mean I can wait for the movie to come out, instead of reading the book now? :-k

Bruce
13th January 2005, 09:59 AM
Bruce , I know it's only DaVinci's interpretation of what happened, but have a good look at 'The Last Supper'. Looks a hell of a lot more like a 'Mary' than a 'John ' to me.

Well said Courty, it is fiction.

:roll:

It is indeed fiction, but packaged up with all his "facts". Mike wonders "How much of it is true?" The answer is - almost none of it.

To force an analogy. If I wrote a book that described my Ernie Els-like swing, then those who had seen that swing would think I was writing crap. Those who had never been exposed to it before would wonder why I wasn't on the tour.

The screenplay will be tough. They can get away with the bits where people just rattle off names, dates and places that no one has ever heard of, but once they start showing the pictures - then they got troubles.

AndyP
27th January 2005, 03:31 PM
It is indeed fiction, but packaged up with all his "facts". Mike wonders "How much of it is true?" The answer is - almost none of it.
Came across this book while looking through the library catalogue.

The Da Vinci hoax : exposing the errors in The Da Vinci code (http://www.ignatius.com/books/davincihoax/)

markTHEblake
27th January 2005, 04:08 PM
Ok thats two more books/movies to cross off the must see list, the Da Vinci code and anything by that clown Michael Moore.

Does this crank also tell us that Jesus wasnt crucified (or survived) and ran off with Mary to live in England, and his ancestors formed the knights templar. Yep that ones a beauty too.

Fishman Dan
27th January 2005, 04:25 PM
Ok thats two more books/movies to cross off the must see list, the Da Vinci code and anything by that clown Michael Moore.

Does this crank also tell us that Jesus wasnt crucified (or survived) and ran off with Mary to live in England, and his ancestors formed the knights templar. Yep that ones a beauty too.

Touched a raw nerve here?

I think everythings open to interpretation, chuck in some artistic license for the Box Office. Have you seen The Passions of the Christ? Is this a true depiction of history, or one person's way of telling a story?

No i haven't seen it, nor read the Davinci Code, and no i'm not getting into a religious debate.

AndyP
27th January 2005, 04:30 PM
and no i'm not getting into a religious debate.
Why not? It's the only thing that this forum hasn't had a debate on.

Well, that and golf course arkitekcha. :wink:

Fishman Dan
27th January 2005, 04:34 PM

Aren't they the same thing?

Sunday is a day of rest. Thou shalt not rake bunkers after 11am Sunday (only public on course after then).

Anonymous
27th January 2005, 04:43 PM
I don't mind Mike Moore. As long as you take what he is saying as his interpretation and not gospel he can be quite entertaining and a pretty good stirrer too. You can't just let governments/big business get away with saying what they want us to here without challenge.

Does this crank also tell us that Jesus wasnt crucified (or survived) and ran off with Mary to live in England, and his ancestors formed the knights templar.
Technically he did survive as he was seen walking around after Easter Sunday. :wink:

markTHEblake
27th January 2005, 06:51 PM
Touched a raw nerve here?

not at all. just laughing at it.

Have you seen The Passions of the Christ? Is this a true depiction of history, or one person's way of telling a story?

havent seen it yet, AFAIK its based word for word on historical fact.

i hate it when people say that.....

Golfgirl
27th January 2005, 08:50 PM

Cor Blimey.... let's have it then.... I'm always up for a good bit of biffo about Golf Course Arkitekcha..... :roll: :wink:

markTHEblake
27th January 2005, 10:24 PM
Ok how is this for starters, proof that golf was invented at least 2000 years ago and was played in the middle east.

The Apostle Paul was actually a golf course architect as he helped set up and design the early golf courses.

As he said in his letter to the Roman country club, detailing the infrastructure for the new course, he wrote, "I don't understand what I do. I cannot do what I want to do. Instead, I do what I dont want to do"

He was obviously talking about his curing his slice with the driver... what else could it be?

AndyP
29th April 2005, 02:53 PM
OK. Finished reading the first trilogy of Thomas Covenant. Reading the second trilogy is well and truly on hold. As amanda said, the books are a bit depressing.

Read the third most recent Patricia Cornwell book on Scarpetta. Annoyed me how she tried to tie several books together with conspiracy theories. No rush to read the next two at this stage.

Finished no 2 of the new Eddings series, The Treasured One. Garbage, although better than the first. Which is a shame, because I love the Belgariad and Mallorean series.

Also reading through a bunch of fantasy short stories in Legends II. Pretty good. It's good to get a feel for the authors and decide whether you want to check out their books or not.

After the talk in here about Dan Brown, I thought I would check out his books. Big hold queues in the library, but that's fine, had plenty of other books to read.
Have read Digital Fortress and am at the end of Deception Point. I'm really enjoying these books. It's been a long time since I have found it so hard to put a book down.
I've got DaVinci Code sitting at home, but plan to read Angels and Demons before that.

Courty
29th April 2005, 03:07 PM
After the talk in here about Dan Brown, I thought I would check out his books.  Big hold queues in the library, but that's fine, had plenty of other books to read.
Have read Digital Fortress and am at the end of Deception Point.  I'm really enjoying these books.  It's been a long time since I have found it so hard to put a book down.

Same here, just finishing Deception Point. I don't have a problem with library queues, my wife IS the librarian  :twisted: . After this one I plan to read Weapons of Choice by someone Birmingham, and then Digital Fortress. I am also eagerly awaiting the release later this year of Judas Unleashed, the sequel to Pandora's Star by Peter Hamilton.

I have also reserved a controversial book by Graham Hancock called 'The Fingerprints of the Gods'. It apparently points out a lot of holes in the supposed known history of ancient civilisations, suggesting there may have been a previous technologically superior civilisation which influenced the civilisations we do know about. Anyone else read this one? Shed some more light on it? It does sound fascinating...

Jarro
29th April 2005, 04:42 PM
read a good book by a Dr. Suess the other night (to my daughter .. alright)

Green eggs and ham ..... highly recommended 8)

Fishman Dan
29th April 2005, 08:38 PM

Green eggs and ham ..... highly recommended  8)

You just looked at the pictures and made the words up, didn't you Jarro. :?

Jarro
29th April 2005, 09:04 PM

Green eggs and ham ..... highly recommended  8)

You just looked at the pictures and made the words up, didn't you Jarro. :?

actually, my 8 year old read it to me while i looked at the pictures :roll:

Fishman Dan
20th May 2005, 10:47 AM
Kerry O'Keefe's biography - Life and Times of Skull (or something like that).

It's a good read, behind the cricketing brain, the maniacal laugh and the sick sense of humour, there's just an ordinary bloke. He knows he probably wasn't a top notch cricketer, hailed in his youth and a quick rise to 1st Class, to being stranded on 99* - his highest ever test score (and no, i don't think he'll ever get over it).

A bloke who had a career full of self-doubt, he played for Australia during the golden years of aussie cricket. He was literally a fly on the wall during a period which included players like Lawry, Stackpole, Walters, Chappell's, Thomson, Lillee... not to mention the Kings of the Carribean, England's finest, Gavaskar, Bedi...... the finest names in cricket.

The chapter about the inaugural Sydney to London drinking event is pure gold. This is prior to Marsh, then Boon's record. The days when Doug Walters couldn't be seen without a ciggy and a beer in his hand.

270 easy to read pages. Knocked it off on the flight to Shangers, i couldn't put it down.

AndyP
25th July 2005, 04:31 PM
Finished off the Dan Brown books, with Angels and Demons, and The DaVinci Code. Once again, I found it very hard to put these books down, but maybe reading four of his books consecutively was a bit too much, as the books are all written with the same formula. I think Angels and Demons may have been the best of the four.

Mandy, his next book will be the beginning of the end. Book 9, "Chainfire" will be the first in a series of three books that will detail the story that wraps it all up.
So three books to go. :)
Only two to go now.
Chainfire started off a bit slow, but was definitely an improvement on the last book. Sometimes I feel like the author is preaching to me though. :smt102

I've also read three more Raymond Feist novels :shock:, Jimmy the Hand; and King of Foxes and Exiles Return from the Conclave of Shadows series. I'm really enjoying this new series.

I've also read a couple more Dr. Bob books including The Golfers Mind: Play to Play Great, which I thought was fantastic. No new concepts here, but each chapter addresses a different part of the game, as opposed to the storytelling style before. This will make it much better to look back at, when looking for advice.
Currently out on loan to amanda. ;)

Currently reading Dying of the Light by George R R Martin, an author recommended to me on OZgolf. So far, so good.
Think I have a Terry Brooks novel on hold at the library too.

What's everyone else reading?

Jarro
25th July 2005, 04:34 PM
Karma Sutra :wink:

Flowergirl
25th July 2005, 05:27 PM
I'm reading Shadow of the Wind - don't remember the author. My golf pro kept on hounding me to read it ( nothing to do with golf) and it is a great read. I'll have a look and get the authors name for you. Half way through it and I don't know where it's taking me but I'm enjoying the journey.

Courty
27th July 2005, 02:32 AM
Just finished the new one by Iain M. Banks: 'The Algebraist'. If you like Space Operas, give it a go.

goughy
27th July 2005, 06:07 AM
Karma Sutra  :wink:

Does it have pictures :?: :?: :?:

Bruce
27th July 2005, 11:48 AM
Just finished the new one by Iain M. Banks: 'The Algebraist'. If you like Space Operas, give it a go.

Is that one set in "The Culture" too?

Courty
29th July 2005, 12:41 AM

Dont know. Its the first one of his I have read. Excuse the lack of punctuation marks. These foreign keyboards are a bit weird.

Bruce
29th July 2005, 10:10 AM

Dont know. Its the first one of his I have read. Excuse the lack of punctuation marks. These foreign keyboards are a bit weird.

In that case I would recommend:
Player of Games
Use of Weapons
Look to Windward
Consider Phlebas and
Excession

All by the same author.

By the same author

AndyP
29th July 2005, 10:14 AM
Currently reading Dying of the Light by George R R Martin, an author recommended to me on OZgolf.  So far, so good.
Bruce, have you read this one?  It's sci-fi, not fantasy, but I thought it was a good read once you get into it.  Would have been handy to know there was a glossary at the back of the book before I got to the end though. :roll:
It was one of Martin's first books.

I'm now reading another early one by him, Fevre Dream, it's about vampires on a steamboat in the 1850's.  :-s

Bruce
29th July 2005, 11:22 AM
I haven't got to that one - but I am on the lookout for anything by this author.

AndyP
9th September 2005, 03:34 PM
Bloody Hell, Bruce. Thanks for getting me hooked on George R R Martin, and neglecting to tell me that his series is incomplete. ](*,) :wink:

Although I've only just finished the first book (very good BTW), I've just found out that the fourth in the series will be released next month, with a fifth to follow at some stage.
I hate waiting for books to be written and released.

wavemaker
9th September 2005, 04:33 PM
I have just re-read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. Absolute classics.

raidrboy
9th September 2005, 09:46 PM
Just finished a bit of light reading. "Somewhere in Ireland a village is missing an idiot" by David Feherty.

markTHEblake
10th September 2005, 10:14 AM
I didnt know Jarro was Irish? :shock:

AndyP
11th January 2006, 02:12 PM
Bloody Hell, Bruce.  Thanks for getting me hooked on George R R Martin, and neglecting to tell me that his series is incomplete.   ](*,)  :wink:

Although I've only just finished the first book (very good BTW), I've just found out that the fourth in the series will be released next month, with a fifth to follow at some stage.
I hate waiting for books to be written and released.
So here I am, waiting for the next book to be written and released....

I'm up to date with all the books in the Song of Fire & Ice series.  These are fantastic books, and the author is almost my favourite now (probably behind Feist).  Expect the unexpected from Martin.  He doesn't follow the formula of the good guy winning, as he has killed off several "good guys" along the way, which was quite a shock.
Unfortunately his last one (Feast of Crows) was a drop down from the others, as the series stretches out over some time,  and this one appears to be a bit of filler, without really going anywhere.

Other books read:
The Wishsong of Shannara by Terry Brooks:  Reading his Shannara series books here and there.  They're pretty good fantasy novels, without being outstanding.
How to Quit Golf: A 12-step Program by Craig Brass:  This was rather amusing, although a bit American at times.  If anyone wants to borrow it, I have it at home.

Currently reading:
Golf from the Inside by Mike Clayton:  It's Mike's views on players and courses.

On the shelf waiting:
Flight of the Nighthawk by Raymond Feist
The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama
The Voyage of Jerle Shanarra series in one book by Terry Brooks

Bloody Hell, I haven't even read the sixth Harry Potter yet...

However, I'm still open to recommendations from any books you may have read recently.

BrisVegas
11th January 2006, 02:50 PM
Am reading Fairway Dreams - A Decade in Professional golf, by Lauren St John.

Not too bad. Easy to pick up and put down again as it's a lot of anecdotes and short stories.

Courty
11th January 2006, 02:53 PM
I'm currently 242 pages into the new Peter Hamilton book "Judas Unchained". It's the sequel (or continuation) of "Pandora's Star". If I had time I would have re-read Pandora's Star first, as Judas Unchained jumps straight into the storyline. So far, so good, though. Hamilton is an excellent author. My favourite book would still have to be his "Fallen Dragon"

I got part of the way through "Century Rain" by Alistair Reynolds before Judas Unchained arrived. The jury is still out as it has a very slow start. :?

BrisWesty
12th January 2006, 12:04 AM
Read Thomas Covenant probably 15 years ago. Too much Leper, outcast, unclean, self loathing, and then can't remember which book contained the arguleh (or whatever they were) that kept ambushing their party. Got a bit boring really. Won't go there again.

Have no desire to read the DaVinci Code. The really funny stuff about the whole DaVinci Code cult thing is that there are people who blow the Bible off as inaccurate yet go on tours to check out the reality of the DaVinci Code. (Folks, it's a novel.)
FWIW, the Bible has been used as an accurate marker for archaeology in the Middle East. (Not a religious debate.)

Got given a Matthew Reilly book, Scarecrow, for Christmas (today, a late Christmas present).

Enjoyed "According to Skull - Kerry O'Keeffe" too. Really interesting book, but probably the part that hit home the most to me was when he praised up his wife and kids.

Enjoy Wilbur Smith too, can normally knock one of them over in an afternoon (without interruptions).

Reading Roald Dahl with the girls and watching them falling in love with the books of our childhood.

I need to curl up with a good book more often.