PDA

View Full Version : New driver models, what's the diff?

Scottt
2nd May 2008, 10:02 PM
FT-3 to FT-5, what's the diff?

Sumo 4950 to Sumo 5000, what's the diff?

R5 to R7 to updated R7, what's the diff?

So the OEMs really change that much as they upgrade, or is it just a cynical ploy to sell more sticks?

markTHEblake
2nd May 2008, 10:19 PM
what's the diff?

The marketing departments work very hard developing new logos, stop being such a cynic

Scottt
2nd May 2008, 10:24 PM
so the FT-3 I plan to buy is effectively a cheaper, slightly older FT-5?

Colin
2nd May 2008, 11:35 PM
I don't see too much difference in the last few years offerings. I'm still playing my R5, and have no plans to 'upgrade' anytime soon. I'm as much of a ho as anyone, but I think they've really hit a ceiling as far as head size and such, and are kinda moving sideways instead of forwards now. With the limits in place on head volume, MOI and COR, there's only so much they can do.

Plus, I haven't been able to find a new driver that didn't have some wierd quirk to get over - had a Sumo, but it felt rock hard to hit, tried a Cobra L4v - sounded like a shotgun going off... The only recent driver that I'd really like to own would be a Ping G2/G5/G10 (same dang club). One day, when the R5 finally goes cold...

Col

macjackass
3rd May 2008, 01:48 AM
Just my opinion but the ft-3 is crap. Sounds and feels cheap and tinny. I think the ft-5 is miles better (and not cos I have one). Looks better, goes better, feels better, sounds better. If you're interested I have an FT-5 with a diamana blueboard I can sell you. :-)

3oneday
3rd May 2008, 05:34 AM
You need to try/buy them all to see for yourself ;)

gazgolf1
3rd May 2008, 06:54 AM
I have to disagree with macjackass and say the FT-3 is an great bat and I dont think the Ft-5 is much of an improvement.
I like the sound and feel of the FT-3 (think aluminium baseball bat) and would happily play one today,that being said I play a Ping G10 and its the best driver I've ever hit.

Jarro
3rd May 2008, 09:38 AM
I agree with gaz about the G10 ... super club that 8)

It's certainly an improvement on the G5, which in my opinion, was a step backwards after the G2 :-s

SupaSubi
3rd May 2008, 11:23 AM
I agree with gaz about the G10 ... super club that 8)

It's certainly an improvement on the G5, which in my opinion, was a step backwards after the G2 :-s

makes me feel better after dropping $100 on a G2 last month :smt038

rick3003
3rd May 2008, 06:38 PM
makes me feel better after dropping $100 on a G2 last month :smt038
A G2 for $100! Now thats a good buy.

Ping gets my vote, plenty long, nice shape and feel.

TheNuclearOne
3rd May 2008, 06:54 PM
Some are different, some aren't, some are worse etc. As an example i find the Ping G10 a little better than the G5 in a variety of ways. Feels better, a little less spin, definitely a bit more forgiving etc. The FT-5 is a bit easier to hit than the FT-3 IMO. However i wasn't overly impressed with the R7 series at all in TM. The TP Burner is a different proposition however.

virge666
4th May 2008, 06:47 PM
FT-3 to FT-5, what's the diff?

Sumo 4950 to Sumo 5000, what's the diff?

R5 to R7 to updated R7, what's the diff?

So the OEMs really change that much as they upgrade, or is it just a cynical ploy to sell more sticks?

What is the Diff . . . ummm . . . the price ?

miro
5th May 2008, 08:36 AM
Personally I don't think the FT3 and FT5 are the same drivers. I see the FT5, other than being a composite head, as a completely different club than the FT3 -put them side by side and you will agree.

As for the others you mention -I don't see it as at all cynical -the golf companies are not doing this for fun they are businesses trying to make a profit -selling clubs is how they do it -nothing cynical about that at all.

And finally many of the newest drivers whilst are still 460cc they are completely different in head shape -everything seems to be that shallow flat massive head shape (which I personally hate), so yes in my opinion the newest drivers have changed from the prior generation.