PDA

View Full Version : Rules, Rules, Rules...

Rusty
2nd May 2008, 01:46 PM
so, with a bit of spare time, and flippin' thru a shiney new Decisions book here's some stuff that was of interest to me. you probably already know.

1. putting while holding the umbrella - it's allowed Decision 14-2/2. any stroke can be made while holding an umbrella, just not allowed for someone else to hold it for you. that's it i'm never getting wet again on the green. hell, i reckon i can even chip while holding a brolley between my face and shoulder. if only there was a Decision that allowed me to swing from under my brolley held up by my golf buggy :neutral:

2. holding the flagstick in one hand while putting (tapping in) with the other - it's allowed Decision 17-1/5. only a problem if the ball hits the flagstick when doing it.

3. flagstick picked up off ground while ball in motion towards it - ok, as long as person is standing close enough to it to be regarded as attending it Decision 17-1/7.

4. flagstick can be attended from anywhere on the course Rule 17-1. in other words it can be attended while chipping and doesn't have to stay "in or out". it can also be held up so you can see where the hole is, if say, going over a ridge. danger here, is that if it is attended and the ball hits the flag (or flagstick) while it is attended then 2 stroke penalty.

PeteyD
2nd May 2008, 01:48 PM
4. flagstick can be attended from anywhere on the course Rule 17-1. in other words it can be attended while chipping and doesn't have to stay "in or out". it can also be held up so you can see where the hole is, if say, going over a ridge. danger here, is that if it is attended and the ball hits the flag (or flagstick) while it is attended then 2 stroke penalty.

This one is a great one to win bets with. The number of people that reckon you can't have it tended is amazing.

3oneday
2nd May 2008, 02:57 PM
I don't understand 4. Does it mean you can have it tended, but if the dickhead tending it doesn't pull the flag out and it goes in, it's ok ?

mikezone13
2nd May 2008, 03:33 PM
This one is a great one to win bets with. The number of people that reckon you can't have it tended is amazing.

Wow, new one for me, I always assumed you could only have it tended while on the green, and in OR out if off the green.

If this is the case why don't more pros (with their awesome short games) have the flag tended when just off the green?

PeteyD
2nd May 2008, 03:44 PM
because more shots go in with the stick there??

goughy
2nd May 2008, 03:45 PM
If this is the case why don't more pros (with their awesome short games) have the flag tended when just off the green?

I believe statistically the ball is more likely to fall into the hole with the flagstick in than out. Based on this, you'd be better putting with the stick in. I never have the flag attended for any shot off the greens surface. I'm guessing this is why they leave them in.

Rusty
2nd May 2008, 03:51 PM

yeah, (maybe) i got feeling the rule was changed at some time. as kid i've got a vague recollection that it was either in or out.

I don't understand 4. Does it mean you can have it tended, but if the dickhead tending it doesn't pull the flag out and it goes in, it's ok ?

no, 2 shot penalty to you (+ clip 'round the ear & drinks from the attendant). however if the attendant did it deliberately so that you'd be penalised, he's DQ for a serious breach of Rule 1-2 (Decision 17-3/2). tough one to prove deliberate though.

that's why it's always best when attending to a) firstly test that the flag can easily come out, prior to the person putting, and b) take the flag out as soon as they've hit their ball. nothing worse than having a semi-jammed flag with a ball nearing the hole.

3oneday
2nd May 2008, 04:05 PM
because more shots go in with the stick there??ala recent Geoff Ogilvy, with no flag in the ball wouldn't have fallen in, it would have scooted way past.

Probably why no one has ever heard of the rule, because no one will ever use it.

Toolish
2nd May 2008, 05:02 PM
Pelz proved that the ball is goes in more often with the flag there.

that said, next time I get on a bar 5 going at it for 2 I might ask one of my mates to tend the flag just for kicks :)

sms316
2nd May 2008, 07:05 PM
I'm still stunned at how many people think they automatically get a free drop from a plugged ball in the rough.

Would hate to think how many are given in club competitions.

Moe Norman
2nd May 2008, 07:10 PM
so, with a bit of spare time, and flippin' thru a shiney new Decisions book here's some stuff that was of interest to me. you probably already know.

1. putting while holding the umbrella - it's allowed Decision 14-2/2. any stroke can be made while holding an umbrella, just not allowed for someone else to hold it for you. that's it i'm never getting wet again on the green. hell, i reckon i can even chip while holding a brolley between my face and shoulder. if only there was a Decision that allowed me to swing from under my brolley held up by my golf buggy :neutral:

2. holding the flagstick in one hand while putting (tapping in) with the other - it's allowed Decision 17-1/5. only a problem if the ball hits the flagstick when doing it.

3. flagstick picked up off ground while ball in motion towards it - ok, as long as person is standing close enough to it to be regarded as attending it Decision 17-1/7.

really??

PeteyD
2nd May 2008, 07:39 PM
Yea that one was changed a while ago.

No plugged balls up here for a long time!

markTHEblake
2nd May 2008, 08:11 PM
I'm still stunned at how many people think they automatically get a free drop from a plugged ball in the rough.Would hate to think how many are given in club competitions.

Me too.

I had a bloke in pennants try to pull that one on me last year. Eventually I handed him the rule book to the right page, and asked him to show me where he got a drop. When i said its only applicable if its a local rule, and its not on the score card, then he claims local rules dont have to be on the scorecard, only in the rule book. and this guy is in the state junior squad :roll:

He even yelled out to his Captain who is a bloke that has been the No1 golfer on the gold coast for over 10 years, and even he said he was entitled to a drop.

The funniest part was the mud he got all over himself trying to get it out , was in a bank just outside the hazard :-)

clowns everywhere :razz:

sms316
2nd May 2008, 08:18 PM
Easily the best advice ever there Mark - carry the rule book, especially in match play. If for no other reason, once in a while you will get the opportunity to make somebody look really stupid.

I would guess that maybe 5% of golfers actually carry one. Smart golfers won't make a decision without it.

Moe Norman
2nd May 2008, 08:22 PM
i carry one, but its never been out of the bag

Rusty
2nd May 2008, 11:25 PM
Easily the best advice ever there Mark - carry the rule book, especially in match play. If for no other reason, once in a while you will get the opportunity to make somebody look really stupid.

I would guess that maybe 5% of golfers actually carry one. Smart golfers won't make a decision without it.

better still, carry a mobile phone and ring someone (assumed no local rule disallowing use) who's got a Decisions book or can easily navigate the R&A site. Decisions book is much more explicit & therefore helpful.

markTHEblake
3rd May 2008, 12:40 AM
does this thing happen to everyone when they get to single figures?

Rusty
3rd May 2008, 03:02 PM
i think so :oops:

mikezone13
3rd May 2008, 05:28 PM
Yeah the plugged ball is an interesting one. I always recommend playing two balls (one with a drop and one without) if no consensus can be reached and then check with the pro later.

Obviously this isn't the best way in match play as it can impact on strategy.

markTHEblake
3rd May 2008, 05:34 PM
Cant do that in matchplay Mike, any dispute must be dealt with on the spot. (for that exact reason)