PDA

View Full Version : Raiding the $2 bin.

Bruce
27th October 2004, 01:53 PM
In my continuing quest to test everything I can get my hands on I have turned my attention to balls.

I have been using the box of Topflite XL2000 that my girls bought me for Father's Day, but I feel the need to test as many different kinds as I can till I find something I like again.

To that end I headed down the block to Drummond golf and raided their $2 bin of used balls. I walked away with 9 different balls which are all in at least "very good" condition. I ended up with:
Callaway Rule 35 Red
Callaway CTU 30 Red
Maxfli Revolution
Hogan Apex Tour
Titlest ProV1x
Titlest DT SoLo
Titlest NXT tour
Nike TA2LNG
Strata Tour Ace

Only getting one of each gives a risk of one ball getting more play than another. There's always the roblem of sticking the first shot in the drink. But the bin gets refreshed quite often by the looks and wandering down for a lunchtime hunt is an excuse to get away from the desk.

"The proof of the pudding is the pudding." - Guru Bob

Jarro
27th October 2004, 01:58 PM
nice "mixed" selection there Bruce 8)

the cally 35 and ProV1X are the pick of the litter in my opinion, but the old NXT Tour is a pretty underrated ball.

be interested to hear what you think of them all :wink:

drunken
27th October 2004, 02:03 PM
The NXT Tour & DT Solo are generally the two balls I play.

McMw
27th October 2004, 05:42 PM
might as well throw the Rule35Red and the Revolution away....coz even if you like them, sourcing them new would be next to impossible...

Bruce
27th October 2004, 06:21 PM
There were a few of each in that $2 bin today,

Jarro
27th October 2004, 08:28 PM
... any more ProV1X's :wink:

Fishman Dan
28th October 2004, 06:58 AM
Big fan of the Rule 35's. Apparently they simply got rebadged, reboxed and remarketed?

3oneday
28th October 2004, 07:47 AM
Fishy, bet you thought this was where you find $2 golf clubs, huh :wink:

:lol:

Pete

Fishman Dan
28th October 2004, 08:55 AM
Fishy, bet you thought this was where you find $2 golf clubs, huh :wink:

Hey, that's unfair. I like the expensive crap... just in someone elses bag :roll:

The one thing about the Rule 35 is they cut up pretty savagely, after trees, rocks, and the immense amount of spin I impart on a ball (:roll:), i'd usually bash up 2 of these per round.

andylo
28th October 2004, 10:06 AM
I heard all Cally ball's cover are not durable so it's very easy to scuff it no matter whatever you do.

3oneday
28th October 2004, 11:17 AM
Andy, my mate says that about the HX Tours, we both tried one the same day, his scuffed bad, looked like 3 rounds old, mine was still as new at the end. Maybe depends on your wedges, or how much spin you play with ??

Flowergirl
28th October 2004, 12:07 PM
Noodle, Noodle, Noodle..............The only ball I use. ( had a good round with one once and so my too superstitious to use everthing else.)

Bruce
28th October 2004, 04:44 PM
Well I used 3 of them today as I bashed my way around Sandhurst.

Strata Tour Ace: Started the day with this and felt pretty good about it. If I saw a sleeve of these at a good price I'd pick it up.

Hogan Apex Tour: Scuffed up like nobodies business. It ended up in the drink after 4 holes and was looking very much the worse for wear at that point. Sure it started off used but I am no spin king. Not impressed.

Pro V1x: Everything anyone has told you is true. I scoffed at the idea that for a mug like me a premium ball could make that much difference. Absolutely crushable, 5i stopped after 1m. I was amazed.

It will take a bit of will power not to tee this one up on the 1st next round and try out rest of mix.

gazgolf1
28th October 2004, 07:12 PM
I'm using the Hogan Apex Tour Red...its about the softest ball on the market .
Since I miss the odd green (well a lot of greens)I rely on my short game a lot and since I suck at running the ball up to the hole I need a ball that will check up pretty quick.The Apex Red is my pill of choice at the moment and I wont be swapping anytime soon. 8)

Jarro
28th October 2004, 07:49 PM
I'm using the Hogan Apex Tour Red...its about the softest ball on the market .
Since I miss the odd green (well a lot of greens)I rely on my short game a lot and since I suck at running the ball up to the hole I need a ball that will check up pretty quick.The Apex Red is my pill of choice at the moment and I wont be swapping anytime soon. 8)

how's it perform distance wise Gaz :?: :?

gazgolf1
28th October 2004, 08:10 PM
how's it perform distance wise Gaz :?: :?

I hit a couple of my longest drives ever on the 14th and 15th two weeks ago at Oxley so no probs there. :P

McMw
28th October 2004, 10:05 PM
and since I suck at running the ball up to the hole I need a ball that will check up pretty quick.The Apex Red is my pill of choice at the moment and I wont be swapping anytime soon. 8)

yeessh....I on the other hand, suck at getting the ball to stop quickly...no matter what ball I use... :oops:

Ducky
28th October 2004, 11:06 PM
From your avatar (if that is you), it looks as if you have quite a round swing plane. That could be a start...

:wink:

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

McMw
28th October 2004, 11:17 PM
if I had a follow thru like that for a chip shot, I'm playing the wrong game... :roll:

Ducky
29th October 2004, 01:06 PM
Chip shot? Whoops! I should have paid more attention... 8-[

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

mike
6th November 2004, 11:57 PM
Mau you're going to stuff your back up finishing like that.

Jarro
7th November 2004, 12:34 AM
Mau you're going to stuff your back up finishing like that.

i'll bet golfer69 cringes when he looks at your avatar Mau :(

McMw
7th November 2004, 12:40 AM
that's as good as it gets... :wink: