PDA

View Full Version : ISP Advice

ddasey
30th April 2008, 10:00 AM
Firstly when it comes to all things to do with the internet and the computer I really don't have a clue :-s

Therefore I am seeking some advice from the learned members here :smt038.

My curent ISP has decided to up there fees for the 2nd time in 12 months (aaNet), so I have decided it may be time to move on.

I have searched around via Whirlpool and Broadbandguide trying to find a new provider.

I am looking at the following, and was hoping that if anyone is using these providers could provide some feedback.

TPG ADSL2+ $39.99 p/m 6gb (3gb peak + 3gb off peak)

EXETEL ADSL2+ $55 p/m including telephone line rental. (48gb off peak + 2 gb peak).

I am living on north side of Brissie (Petrie) and my cuurent aaNet plan is $39.99 for 10gb at 512/128.

Thanks heaps, as I mentioned I have no idea with this sort of thing.

poidda
30th April 2008, 10:24 AM
One thing to check these days is make sure that uploads dont count towards your quaota. Some ISPs have been sneaking this in of late. As for TPG and EXETEL, I've never heard of them. There's so many ISPs open up, then fail it's not funny. I'd highly recommend going with one that has a decent name.

I've been with iiNet for a couple of years now and they are great. Check out they're website for details. http://www.iinet.net.au/

Jarro
30th April 2008, 10:28 AM
I've been with Internode for a while now and they've been really good

PeteyD
30th April 2008, 10:44 AM
Go to whirlpool. comparisons and all the advice you need will be there.

http://www.whirlpool.net.au/

check the forums.

kev
30th April 2008, 10:46 AM
iiNET and Internode are good. Internode are not the cheapest, but their service and reliability are excellent. So far uploads don't count (http://www.internode.on.net/news/2008/04/86.php), and there is no peak/off peak.

The peak/off peak can be a pain in the proverbial if you are on a low plan and spend most of you time on the net during usual hours - basically you are then paying to use only half your quota.

If you are looking at 512/128 speed, Internode do 5Gb for $39.95 (http://www.internode.on.net/residential/internet/home_adsl/pricing/) (plus $0.99 if paying by credit card).

Yes I use Internode and have done for over 5 years.

Don't go with TPG - my brother and in-laws were with them and had nothing but trouble.

Bundling plans with telephone line rental can also cause problems down the track.

Dazza
30th April 2008, 10:48 AM
TPG rooted me around severely when I churned from Bigpond. I selected a date so that I wouldn't overlap into my next Bigpond billing month. That was FAR too hard for TPG (I gave them plenty of notice, and it still didn't happen in time)
So I sent TPG an email to their ADSL sales address telling them to cancel the churn. No reply, so I thought it was sorted.

A week later, I can't access my Bigpond Email and the Internet won't connect.
They had churned me! The email address I sent the email to was the wrong one, so it simply got ignored.

I was with Bigpond ADSL for 2 years, and in that time I did not have a speed/connection related issue whatsoever.

Since churning to TPG....Speed has been well down and I've had no end of trouble with their customer service.
Not being racist here, but the operators are so hard to understand! Even when I spell my account details out, they still get it wrong.
Thats where they make the savings, most of their call centres are off-shore.

Bigpond were expensive, but service for me was A1.

I'll probably head to Internode next.

Cheers

poidda
30th April 2008, 11:00 AM
I have searched around via Whirlpool and Broadbandguide trying to find a new provider.

Go to whirlpool. comparisons and all the advice you need will be there.

http://www.whirlpool.net.au/

check the forums.

Good idea PeteyD! ;)

PeteyD
30th April 2008, 11:18 AM
So I can't read.

Mind you it would make sense to ask the questions at a forum dedicated to Broadband rather than golf!

Maybe he hasn't gone into the forums on Whirlpool, which is where the interesting stuff is.

ddasey
30th April 2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks all for your your thoughts.

On my way to the whirlpool forum now.

Cheers

kev
30th April 2008, 12:20 PM
So I can't read.

Mind you it would make sense to ask the questions at a forum dedicated to Broadband rather than golf!

Maybe he hasn't gone into the forums on Whirlpool, which is where the interesting stuff is.

Why confuse the poor guy? :) There is so much for and against sh17 on there it's not funny.

AndyP
30th April 2008, 12:30 PM
Bundling plans with telephone line rental can also cause problems down the track.Why?

Mind you it would make sense to ask the questions at a forum dedicated to Broadband rather than golf!I'd prefer to ask people I know first, instead of strangers. A word of mouth sort of thing.

FWIW my bundle supplier just upped the line rental, although I do get 10GB for $40, so I'm looking elsewhere too.

ddasey
30th April 2008, 01:12 PM
Why?

I'd prefer to ask people I know first, instead of strangers. A word of mouth sort of thing.

I feel a little more comfortable here and will more than likely get answers I understand :)

kev
30th April 2008, 01:24 PM
Why?

I'd prefer to ask people I know first, instead of strangers. A word of mouth sort of thing.

FWIW my bundle supplier just upped the line rental, although I do get 10GB for $40, so I'm looking elsewhere too.

Generally these are shown to be worse off for the consumer as a whole, and you are stuck for, generally, 24 months. In that time prices for internet access could come down, or limits increased, but you are stuck with your old rates. If you try and get out of it you are hit with exit fees.

Phone companies never do anything to benefit the customer.

poidda
30th April 2008, 01:34 PM
Generally these are shown to be worse off for the consumer as a whole, and you are stuck for, generally, 24 months. In that time prices for internet access could come down, or limits increased, but you are stuck with your old rates. If you try and get out of it you are hit with exit fees.

Phone companies never do anything to benefit the customer.

When I signed up to iiNet there was no contract at all. You only have to sign up fro 24 months if you don't buy the hardware up front.

AndyP
30th April 2008, 03:14 PM
When I signed up to iiNet there was no contract at all. You only have to sign up fro 24 months if you don't buy the hardware up front.Do you have phone with iiNet too?

chappy1970
30th April 2008, 03:43 PM
I'm also with Internode and have had no problems for the past 3 years, only issue with them is that ADSL2 + will not be available in my area for sometime.

poidda
30th April 2008, 03:49 PM
Do you have phone with iiNet too?

Yep, got everything bundled.

PeteyD
30th April 2008, 04:05 PM
I use Aanet at the moment, $49 a month for 1500, 10 gigs, $4 a gig for extra and night time is 1/3 or something like that. When we move (latter this year or next year) I will be looking at providers again. Hopefully we will be moving into an area that has ADSL 2+ instead of only ADSL!!

Iain
30th April 2008, 04:16 PM

Me too. Although, I may look into the naked dsl, as I don't really need a home phone....

AndyP
30th April 2008, 04:23 PM
Me too. Although, I may look into the naked dsl, as I don't really need a home phone....Beware! A workmate has had a lot of trouble with just getting connected for this and not working (with iinet). I've heard the phone quality isn't that great either.

Iain
30th April 2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I saw you post that somewhere else....

Eag's
30th April 2008, 05:08 PM

Same here and have had no probs at all :)

markTHEblake
30th April 2008, 06:14 PM
Exetel are OK, i put a mate onto them and never a problem. Lots of talk on whirlpool about slow speeds during peak but i suspect that is from the P2P downloaders.
(who in their right mind downloads at 5pm anyway)

Exetel however do not provide phone technical support. If you dunno how to troubleshoot things yourself, you might be better off paying someone else a bit more.

ddasey
30th April 2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks all for the responses :smt023

I probably should stop being so lazy, and spend more time posting than just lurking.

Anyway Exetel ADSL2+ not available to me as the exchange is full !!:roll:

I think I may have narrowed it down to the following -

TPG - ADSL2+ Light/6GB $39.99 ADSL2+Speeds 6GB* (3GB+3GB)

OR

EXETEL - 1500 kbps Down/256 kbps Up $40.00 48gb offpeak 2gb peak

The only thing I can see with Exetel is that I wouldn't have to replace my modem/router/WLAN for something that is ADSL2+ compliant

:-s:-s

Again thanks for the input :smt038

Courty
30th April 2008, 07:29 PM
Internode = 8)

markTHEblake
30th April 2008, 09:36 PM
I think I may have narrowed it down to the following -

if your only looking at 6gb plans then the speed aint gunna be an issue :-)

Exetel dont have their own DSLAMs anyway, they resell someone elses, forgot who. Cant be too hard to find out, cos there aint many

BrisVegas
1st May 2008, 09:01 AM
interesting that aaNet has bumped up your pricing. I've been with them for 3 years and my plan has remained at $34 for 512/128 8Gig the whole time. I've been thinking about going for a much higher download plan, but haven't done anything about it. No ADSL2/2+ in my area yet. Not sure upgrading to 1500kbps would be worth the cost.

ddasey
1st May 2008, 09:19 AM
interesting that aaNet has bumped up your pricing. I've been with them for 3 years and my plan has remained at $34 for 512/128 8Gig the whole time. I've been thinking about going for a much higher download plan, but haven't done anything about it. No ADSL2/2+ in my area yet. Not sure upgrading to 1500kbps would be worth the cost.

I started off on that plan when I oringally signed with them 3 years ago in Cairns

I then tranferred to Brissie and they up the plan to $39.99 on 10gig.

Now they want to up me to a 15gig plan at $49.95 but will offer a 'loyalty' discount of $5 a month.

Don't get me wrong aaNet has been really good, I just don't like my plan being upped and with the arrival 5 weeks ago of child number 3, I feel I can save some coin by looking elsewhere (maybe get a faster connection too) :)

AndyP
18th May 2008, 10:23 PM
I now plan using video chat more often.
With my current 128k upload speed, the video at the other end is unacceptable. For those that have it, is 256k upload enough? Otherwise, it really limits the plans I can move to.

I also have ADSL2 available at my exchange. Should I definitely look at getting this, or it still doesn't matter too much?

markTHEblake
18th May 2008, 10:29 PM
DSL2 is usually cheaper, so whats a good reason not to change

if i was changing now, i would look at Internode., i understand that they have a free premium usenet service, which makes it easier, quicker, and 'private' to download those TV shows we like to watch.

Fishman Dan
19th May 2008, 10:31 AM
AP - can't recommend TPG enough for ADSL2. Check out on their webpage if they have fitted your local exchange.

$49 for 25 gb, and DSL2 speeds are beyond comparison. If you think that you'll never use 25 Gb, think again. $59 for 50 Gb, $69 for 150 gb.

AndyP
19th May 2008, 11:40 AM
They have done my exchange, but I've read some issues with TPG on this exchange on whirlpool. However, I don't think they were that recent, so things may have changed.

I like aanet's reputation, but they don't seem to do ADSL2.

How far away from the exchange does ADSL2 degrade to a speed that isn't worthwhile (less than ADSL 512/256)? . I know my distance from the exchange can't be measured accurately, but I'll go have a look at google maps now anyway.

This really is a PITA because I'm trying to change modem/router, ISP and phone service at the same time and they are all related.

poidda
19th May 2008, 11:50 AM
AP it's a no brainer. If they offer ADSL2+, than get it. And as I've said before I've not had a single issue with iiNet in the past 2 years.

AndyP
19th May 2008, 12:18 PM
AP it's a no brainer. If they offer ADSL2+, than get it. Thanks, I can see that now. I just found a graph on the Internode site that shows that it theoretically never gets below standard ADSL performance (especially for the speeds I use).

http://www.internode.on.net/media/images/internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg

I'm now considering Naked DSL too, as it would be much cheaper for us, with the limited phone calls we make.
I assume noone else here has it, because noone spoke up when Iain mentioned it?

Fishman Dan
19th May 2008, 12:51 PM
AP - do you know where your local exchange is geographically?

The lowest speed you can get is about 8 mbit, and thats at the far-end of the spectrum, i.e. about 5 km's away.

I'm very close, so I get approximately 22000 bps (or 2 mb per second) if all goes well. It goes downhill fairly quickly from there the further you are from the exchange, but for general purpose downloading, 8 mbit (8000 bps) is more than enough. At either speed, your upload will be about 1000 bps.

There are some Whirlpool threads about Exchange locations - keep searching. Our entire IT team is now with TPG, can't beat the advice of 5 full-on nerds 8)

AndyP
19th May 2008, 01:38 PM
I know exactly where the exchange is, and by road I can't see how it could be more than 4k away, if it's not too indirect. Best case about 2.6k.
Either way, the speeds you are talking are more than enough for me. There are many providers that supply ADSL2 through that exchange too.

If I'm changing ISPs it might be best to layoff the NakedDSL for 6 months until they gain my trust.

Thanks for the advice so far.

PeteyD
19th May 2008, 03:07 PM
You'd be surprised where the cables run. There was a site you could plug the phone number or address into and get the length of the cable from (back when Ifirst looked at ADSL 3 years ago)

AndyP
19th May 2008, 04:09 PM
You'd be surprised where the cables run. There was a site you could plug the phone number or address into and get the length of the cable from (back when Ifirst looked at ADSL 3 years ago)I couldn't find anything like that, Petey.

I did find this though. http://www.tpg.com.au/maps/
Based on that, I should get at least 6000k down, and 1000k up, if not more.

talbo
19th May 2008, 04:16 PM
I've been with TPG for around 4 years and have only once been rooted around, and I got that sorted pretty quickly. I get reliable and fast ADSL2+, no problems with TPG

BrisVegas
31st May 2008, 11:47 AM
I started off on that plan when I oringally signed with them 3 years ago in Cairns

I then tranferred to Brissie and they up the plan to $39.99 on 10gig.

Now they want to up me to a 15gig plan at $49.95 but will offer a 'loyalty' discount of $5 a month.

Don't get me wrong aaNet has been really good, I just don't like my plan being upped and with the arrival 5 weeks ago of child number 3, I feel I can save some coin by looking elsewhere (maybe get a faster connection too) :)

aaNet, the dirty dogs, upped our plan to the same as yours, ie. 512/128 with 15Gig @ $45 with loyalty discount. $10 extra per month for a few more Gig download. No thank you!

I just churned to TPG 1.5Mbit plan with 8+10Gig for $49.95. If and when our exchange is ADSL2 enabled, I was planning to switch to TPG anyway, so aaNet has just given me the excuse I needed to jump ship.

markTHEblake
31st May 2008, 12:18 PM
BV, I woulndt think you have an exchange in Brookwater, surely you are on a RIM?
(which means no ADSL2 ever based on current technology)

Telstra hasnt built any new exchanges for years, and probably never will again.

Grunt
31st May 2008, 12:30 PM
Same boat for me with that MTB, nearest range is over 5km away. Took ages to get ADSL.

AndyP
31st May 2008, 12:57 PM
I was planning to switch to TPG anyway, so aaNet has just given me the excuse I needed to jump ship.
I thought you were happy with aanet?

aanet have just announced ADSL2 plans too, although not to my exchange.

I had to give my current mob 30 days notice of cancellation, so I'm still weighing up my options.

I'm leaning towards either an iinet bundled package or TPG (although an 18mth contract makes me hesitate) with a separate phone provider. I've just got to work out the best phone option for us, or whether it's worth getting some VOIP hardware.

ddasey
31st May 2008, 01:06 PM
aanet have just announced ADSL2 plans too, although not to my exchange.

This is the only reason why I chose to remain with them and not churn elsewhere.

What they don't make clear when they up you plan is that you can change back to a lesser plan. I have done this hoping they may offer existing customers a decent rate on the ADSL2 when released.

BrisVegas
31st May 2008, 07:03 PM
BV, I woulndt think you have an exchange in Brookwater, surely you are on a RIM?
(which means no ADSL2 ever based on current technology)

Telstra hasnt built any new exchanges for years, and probably never will again.

I'm on the Redbank exchange, which has ADSL2 available through Bigpond, but $99 per month for 25Gig is a bit steep for my liking. We have Fibre in some parts of the estate, which Telstra did as a trial to iron out bugs in the equipment, but not in my street. I'd love ADSL2, but will take whatever I can get. Not far from here in Springfield they can't even get ADSL1. I don't think it will be long before Wireless broadband is a viable alternative.... hopefully!

BrisVegas
31st May 2008, 07:05 PM
I thought you were happy with aanet?

You quoted half of what I said...

"If and when our exchange is ADSL2 enabled, I was planning to switch to TPG anyway, so aaNet has just given me the excuse I needed to jump ship."

I was planning to change to TPG if they ever offered ADSL2 on our exchange, as they have a good rep and good plans.

AndyP
31st May 2008, 07:06 PM
So has the connection been made across to TPG yet, BV? I'm interested in hearing if there are any issues, since I am considering churning to them too.

I was planning to change to TPG if they ever offered ADSL2 on our exchange, as they have a good rep and good plans.But you aren't doing ADSL2.:?

BrisVegas
31st May 2008, 07:17 PM
did you miss the bit about aaNet jacking up my 512 plan cost from $35 to $50 per month???

I think you'll find there are a heck of lot of other people leaving aaNet right now too.

AndyP
31st May 2008, 07:25 PM
$45 for 15GB doesn't sound that bad, if they are reliable, based on what I've looked at. There's no doubt that TPG are offering some very cheap plans at the moment, and I've heard good reports about them so far.

Bundling seems to be the only way to get things cheaper with most of them.

markTHEblake
31st May 2008, 09:57 PM
I'm on the Redbank exchange, which has ADSL2 available through Bigpond, but $99 per month for 25Gig is a bit steep for my liking.

I only pay $79 for 25GB?

oh yeah i forgot, thats on the 1500 plan. But with Telstra you sign up for the highest speeed plan and then downgrade later, and they dont physically change your line speed. Its a nice perk

goughy
1st June 2008, 09:22 AM
In general though, what are aaNet like? I've just found out that our exchange has been upgraded to adsl2+ by telstra, and can plans from aaNet in our spend range. We're currently on a bundle with aapt, and I think the modem we got from them is an adsl2+ modem, so I'm guessing we don't need to change it.

We can get 44.90 a month for 20gb on adsl2+. Uploads free, but they do charge for extra gb's during peak time! And I checked the exchange where we thinking of moving and it's been upgraded too. Initial setup cost is 150. It's 5bucks more if you don't bundle a phone.

So then, who's got the best phone plans these days. I'd look at a net phone or something, but rob's dads is so bad it's not funny. Calls drop out, sometimes they can't hear you. It's crap.

Fishman Dan
1st June 2008, 10:34 AM
Goughy - steer clear of ISP's that charge if you exceed your cap. Best go for the ISP's that throttle, especially with ADSL2+, you could download 100 mb's in minutes!

BrisVegas
1st June 2008, 10:42 AM
In general though, what are aaNet like?

The service has been fine. Very few outages in the 3 years I have been with them. I have no idea what they're ADSL2 is like though. They were bought out last year by EFTel (I think) and am trying pretty aggressively to get new customers. they have good plans available in ADSL1 still, but only to new customers.

markTHEblake
1st June 2008, 12:55 PM
So then, who's got the best phone plans these days. I'd look at a net phone or something, but rob's dads is so bad it's not funny. Calls drop out, sometimes they can't hear you. It's crap.

Goughy, that will be the quality of his internet connection causing that, if they cant hear you, it is your uplink.

https://www.mynetfone.com.au/offers/whirlpool

You cannot beat the Whirlpool saver plan to try out voip, at $0 cost per month including Phone number its an absolute steal.
I now use this for my faxline and business calls.

For personal use I use Pennytel, they have 8c fixed calls to National and 70 countries, for a $5 min spend per month. I cant spend the $5 ! :-)

Webster
1st June 2008, 03:34 PM
iinet have been terrific over the last 6 years for me.

goughy
1st June 2008, 06:32 PM
We only have aaNet offering adsl2+ plans under $60 on our exchange. The others are like $90 and above. I don't like the extra gb charge over limit either.

Fishman Dan
2nd June 2008, 09:30 AM
We only have aaNet offering adsl2+ plans under $60 on our exchange. The others are like $90 and above. I don't like the extra gb charge over limit either.

Then it all comes down to discipline!! ;)

BrisVegas
2nd June 2008, 09:37 AM
I only pay $79 for 25GB?

oh yeah i forgot, thats on the 1500 plan. But with Telstra you sign up for the highest speeed plan and then downgrade later, and they dont physically change your line speed. Its a nice perk
Perk? What, are you screwing one of the Telstra linesmen on the side? Do you know of anyone else who gets away with this? Surely Telstra would figure out the difference between and ADSL2 and ADSL1 service ???? But hey, that's great for you if you can get away with it. :wink:

markTHEblake
2nd June 2008, 07:44 PM
telstra simply dont charge for increasing or decreasing plans like other ISPś do, and let you do it as often as you like. As doing so requires a physical trip to an exchange, they simply dont do it and save money.

Therefore when you reduce your plan, you retain the higher speed you were on before.

Also Bigpond do not have different plans for ADSL and ADSL2

Another advantage is you can change your plan mid month and get prorata on the new plan remainder of the month. Eg, use up your $80 25gb 1500 speed plan after 15 days, downgrade to $70 1500kb 12gb plan for next 15 days, and get 6gb more of downloads
So net result is 31gb of downloading for $75 which is less than the cost of the 25gb plan,
Not to mention they unshape you 1 day before the month expires, which is always good for up to 10gb of queued up torrents.

All but the unshaping is in their product description or Account info.

PeteyD
5th June 2008, 12:54 PM
Don't be too stressed about aaNets overuse charges, as they are $4 a Gig. It is the ones that charge lots a gig (10c a Meg etc) that you have to worry about (unless aaNet have changed). I haven;t had an issue with aaNet for a long time. They upped my fee, but only by a couple of $$. Obviously the loss leader on the 512 plan was a lot more.

BrisVegas
6th June 2008, 08:28 PM
my churn came through today! Am now getting 1603 kb/s with tpg. It's no ADSL2, but it works and it's reasonably quick.

Fishman Dan
6th June 2008, 09:43 PM
Plenty fast enough for downloading those shows you missed on TV Dion ;)

What's your monthly cap?

BrisVegas
7th June 2008, 08:11 AM
8+10gig

AndyP
16th July 2008, 02:45 PM
Soooo, I decided to get a bundle with iinet. All I have to do is ring and changeover, right? Beeeeh, wrong!

I tried to join online, but got knocked back.
I give them a call, Sales Rep 1 says I must currently be with Optus as my line isn't Telstra. Umm no, I'm with People Telecom, but I tell them I'll ring back after I confirm.
Internet research and ringing PT tells me that they resell Telstra copper lines.
I call iinet again. Sales Rep 2 tells me that I couldn't swithch. When probed, he said there are no ports available on my exchange and to call back in 6 weeks when they plan on expanding. That's crap.
I didn't think he knew what he was on about, plus wanted to see if they could hold a port for me, instead of me calling.
I call again. Sales rep 3 is very helpful. Apparently I don't have Telstra copper lines after all, but ULL or something, which must be a legacy from my days with Optus. Somehow my current provider are reselling this. The proposed solution is for me to join Telstra on my phone line for one month getting me to change to the copper lines, and then switch to iinet.

Today I call Telstra. I can't switch because my current provider is about to disconnect my line (since I gave them 30 days notice 25 days ago and expected all of this to be sorted by now), and 5 days isn't enough time to change over. Apparently they need 15-20 days. FFS!!

So now I am supposed to call my current provider and see if they will let me extend my connection for a bit longer (or they'll make me give 30 days notice again), so Telstra have time to do their thing. I'm thinking I might just call iinet again and tell them that I want to change to them, and they need to make it happen.

Bloody telcos!!

Bruce
16th July 2008, 03:23 PM
ULL = Unbundled Local Loop = the wholesale copper line connection.

Fishman Dan
16th July 2008, 03:45 PM
Should have gone with TPG. They rawwwwwk.

AndyP
16th July 2008, 03:46 PM
What would have changed with TPG? They would still require a Telstra line.

Fishman Dan
16th July 2008, 05:02 PM
That's correct, but maybe the first person could have told you that ;)

Then again, they might have their own DSLAM's at your exchange. Have you tried putting your phone number in their website and seeing whats available?

AndyP
16th July 2008, 05:55 PM
iinet also have their own DSLAMs. It's no different.

TPG was my second option, but I didn't like an 18 month contract and a reported ordinary helpdesk. Plus iinet offer Naked DSL.

markTHEblake
16th July 2008, 06:30 PM
Today I call Telstra. I can't switch because my current provider is about to

Thats just another good reason to never change your Local Phone billing from Telstra.

It is a frigging nightmare when something goes wrong, changing residences, changing providers.

If you value your phone line, stay with Telstra, always. Sure they can make a mistake but they remain accountable to fixing it. The others do not.

Fishman Dan
16th July 2008, 08:58 PM

TPG was my second option, but I didn't like an 18 month contract and a reported ordinary helpdesk. Plus iinet offer Naked DSL.

Fair call about any of the Helpdesks in general, but perhaps it's only iiNet who are unable to provide a port in the exchange? I'm not totally sure how this all works.

FWIW, I have a great story about the TPG Helpdesk. Basically I was using a non-supported modem (NetGear) and couldn't get connected. When I spoke to the guy about it, he said he's "not allowed to discuss it, but I do know a bit about Netgear equipment, so......" and walked me through the set up, I was connected in about 90 seconds.

Very impressed, hence why I'm willing to recommend them (not only for their massive download limits).

AndyP
17th July 2008, 06:36 AM
That's where Sales Rep 2 stuffed up. There are plenty of ports available on the exchange.

Ralph
18th July 2008, 01:46 PM

There helpdesk is appalling. call after 7pm and you are lucky to get through, normally a we are over loaded .. call back later.. then they are closed. its really shite...

I had a HEAP AND HEAP of issues with TPG. My connection would keep dropping out, and then not reconnect to the exchange.... but after firing up, aggressively demanding to speakwith a call centre manager and then a SENIOR tech. They dicked about with the line. Fixed, it died. another 2 hours trying to get through. The change some more settings at the exchange. Touch wood, no issues for the last 3 months. Although its ADSL2+ it sucks ass, it really isnt that quick compared to when I had cable.

Fishman Dan
18th July 2008, 04:11 PM
Ralph - sounds like it's more about your phone lines/exchange. It would probably be the case no matter what ISP you choose?

AndyP
18th July 2008, 06:20 PM
Do you get a commission from TPG, Dan?

Fishman Dan
19th July 2008, 09:44 AM
Yes. I've made a million bucks so far.

AndyP
13th August 2008, 09:55 AM
Hoozah! I have ADSL2....finally.

Fishman Dan
13th August 2008, 04:47 PM
Should I expect my commission cheque?

AndyP
13th August 2008, 04:52 PM
Nope, I went with iinet. I'll experiment with VOIP for 6 months, then look at going Naked if all is going well.

For now, I've gone with 10GB (4GB/6GB), but I'm sure that won't last long with this speed.

BrisVegas
6th March 2009, 10:35 PM
i'm stuck on a Telstra-ONLY DLSAM. Anyone know which of this mob would be the most reliable ADSL2 ISP??? We both work from home so need reasonable speed, but most importantly NO DROPOUTS! TPG has gone to shit in the last couple of weeks, so I'm churning...

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=list&type=network&medium=1&provider=32

Minor_Threat
6th March 2009, 10:38 PM
i'm stuck on a Telstra-ONLY DLSAM. Anyone know which of this mob would be the most reliable ADSL2 ISP??? We both work from home so need reasonable speed, but most importantly NO DROPOUTS! TGP has gone to shit in the last couple of weeks, so I'm churning...

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=list&type=network&medium=1&provider=32Cant go past Internode mate..

Fishman Dan
6th March 2009, 10:49 PM
I'm with TPG and can't fault it. Also heard good things about InterNode.

BrisVegas
6th March 2009, 10:53 PM
i switched to TPG a while back and they've gotten steadily worse. I'm getting dropouts every 5-10minutes at the moment. I've switched modems and done isolation tests etc.... It's the ISP. My neighbour is with aaNet (who I left to join TPG) and their service is rock solid.

On a different topic... Can you churn with "Rapid Transfer" from ADSL1 to ADSL2 ??

AndyP
6th March 2009, 11:52 PM
People Telecom is too expensive for their ADSL2 plans, plus customer service is non-existent if you have any issues.

BrisVegas
7th March 2009, 01:39 PM
Cant go past Internode mate..

hope you're right mate. submitted the churn application this morning. Will hopefully be with Internode by the end of the week. I didn't end up going for an ADSL2 speed plan, as the prices were a bit high ($70). Stuck with the same sort of deal we had with TPG, ie. $50 for 10Gig @ 1.5MBPS. Speed is not as important to us as reliability, as both my wife and I have to use VPN tunnelling onto work networks. Every time the internet drops out, you have to re-connect the VPN....

Minor_Threat
7th March 2009, 03:00 PM
hope you're right mate. submitted the churn application this morning. Will hopefully be with Internode by the end of the week. I didn't end up going for an ADSL2 speed plan, as the prices were a bit high ($70). Stuck with the same sort of deal we had with TPG, ie. $50 for 10Gig @ 1.5MBPS. Speed is not as important to us as reliability, as both my wife and I have to use VPN tunnelling onto work networks. Every time the internet drops out, you have to re-connect the VPN....I don't think you will be disappointed, Internode have a very reliable service..

markTHEblake
7th March 2009, 06:36 PM
BV, didnt you say you were on a Telstra only DSLAM?

doesnt that mean that no matter who you sign up with you are still gunna get the same service.

Fishman Dan
8th March 2009, 11:03 AM
hope you're right mate. submitted the churn application this morning. Will hopefully be with Internode by the end of the week. I didn't end up going for an ADSL2 speed plan, as the prices were a bit high ($70). Stuck with the same sort of deal we had with TPG, ie. $50 for 10Gig @ 1.5MBPS. Speed is not as important to us as reliability, as both my wife and I have to use VPN tunnelling onto work networks. Every time the internet drops out, you have to re-connect the VPN....

Vegas - I'm with TPG and have an ADSL2+ deal for $50 which gives me 50 gb, with speeds up to 24000 (my modem suggests the speed between it and the Exchange is 21461 kbps!).

BrisVegas
8th March 2009, 03:37 PM
congrats Fishy. As I said earlier, it's a Telstra-only DSLAM here, so no TPG ADSL2 and none of the bargain ADSL2 deals either.....

Grunt
8th March 2009, 03:41 PM
Cant even get ADSL2 due to the fact the exchange is too far away. Good old Telstra only installing a RIM off the old exchange when building new Suburbs. They just suggest wireless now for everything.

Fishman Dan
8th March 2009, 04:08 PM
congrats Fishy. As I said earlier, it's a Telstra-only DSLAM here, so no TPG ADSL2 and none of the bargain ADSL2 deals either.....

I didn't know it made a difference any longer - or at least I thought I had read somewhere that DSLAM's were to become telco inspecific. I take it from your cheery tone that hasn't happened yet.

Grunt - 21 meg wireless is just around the corner.

BrisVegas
8th March 2009, 04:16 PM
BV, didnt you say you were on a Telstra only DSLAM?

doesnt that mean that no matter who you sign up with you are still gunna get the same service.

I'm no expert, but I've been reading on whirlpool that some ISP's over-sell their bandwidth. Sounds like TPG has been doing that lately going by the heaps of disgruntled TPG customers posting saying they're getting heaps of dropouts in the past 3-4 weeks.

markTHEblake
8th March 2009, 04:37 PM
. Good old Telstra only installing a RIM off the old exchange when building new Suburbs.

Telstra will never build another Exchange, they cost way too much. The figures quoted to me once was something like $800,000 for an exchange or $50,000 for a RIM, its a no brainer.

I'm no expert, but I've been reading on whirlpool that some ISP's over-sell their bandwidth.

All ISP's oversell their bandwidth. Internet would not be affordable otherwise. Ihave forgotten the exact pricing the ISP i worked for paid, but I worked out that if you wanted dedicated 1500kpbs it would cost about $750pm

P2P is killing the contention ratios that ISP's use to make the net affordable, because people can use 100% of their bandwidth when they are not sitting in front of the computer

For that reason I would stay away from ISP's that have unlimited downloads, and that do not count uploads, because they attract the P2P hogs.

kev
10th March 2009, 07:01 PM
An added incentive (http://www.theage.com.au/news/digital-life/home-entertainment/articles/unlimited-download-deal-for-tivo-users/2009/03/10/1236447200671.html) for Internode users:

Ditching the video store in favour of online movie rentals could finally be viable after TiVo inked a deal with internet service provider Internode to allow customers to download movies without chewing up their monthly internet data allowance.

Jarro
29th April 2009, 02:33 PM
Nope, I went with iinet. I'll experiment with VOIP for 6 months, then look at going Naked if all is going well.

For now, I've gone with 10GB (4GB/6GB), but I'm sure that won't last long with this speed.

So how's this working out AndeePee ?

We're thinking of using VOIP at home as well

zigwah
29th April 2009, 02:46 PM
we have wireless internet, no landline and voip phone. I pay bugger all for 3gb and 10 bux a month for home phone calls max, mostly less. Our home phone dropped from in between 80 and 100 a month to less than 10

Jarro
29th April 2009, 02:47 PM
What if i'm using a landline ?

zigwah
29th April 2009, 03:05 PM
i got so pissed off with optus and telstra i went wireless so i didn't have to have a landline.

But if you have, you can get the basic for something like 19.95 per month line rental heaps for calls though and just use voip. mynetfone i have found to be the best whirlpool forums have good deals from them

Can you get cable?

Jarro
29th April 2009, 03:37 PM
i got so pissed off with optus and telstra i went wireless so i didn't have to have a landline.

But if you have, you can get the basic for something like 19.95 per month line rental heaps for calls though and just use voip. mynetfone i have found to be the best whirlpool forums have good deals from them

Can you get cable?

No, cable is a no-go around here :(

zigwah
29th April 2009, 05:16 PM
then all you can do is try and get the cheapest line rental for your landline and just use voip ring people.

Or get wireless, speeds arent the same adsl2 or cable ours is 1500/512 i think plenty fast for what we use it for, but you get to give the landline rental the arse and 10 cent untimed national calls

Coffs_Hacker
29th April 2009, 06:40 PM
Our new place is like vegas' only telstra Dslam which blows big time. It appears any service using telstra cabling/network is twice the price and 1/2 the download limit. We would like a naked plan without a home pnone and use our mobiles but again there are no plans that are through telstra and being in the middle of nowhere wireless is out of the Q as well

zigwah
29th April 2009, 06:53 PM
yup, we really do get shafted here for our prices and speeds.

AlexMc
29th April 2009, 07:02 PM
Churned to Internode today - all seems pretty good here too. We were with Dodo - avoid like the plague. Funnily enough they rang tonight to sell us a mobile - told the lady exactly what we thought of their service :)

Courty
29th April 2009, 07:09 PM
Our new place is like vegas' only telstra Dslam which blows big time. It appears any service using telstra cabling/network is twice the price and 1/2 the download limit. We would like a naked plan without a home pnone and use our mobiles but again there are no plans that are through telstra and being in the middle of nowhere wireless is out of the Q as well

Internode have done a deal with Telstra allowing you to sign up to ADSL2 with Internode on any exchange where Telstra has DSLAMs.

markTHEblake
29th April 2009, 07:28 PM
We're thinking of using VOIP at home as well

It is a no brainer Jarro. If you get one of the whirlpool offers from Mynetfone (http://www.mynetfone.com.au/offers/whirlpool) it virtually costs you nothing to try it out, as what you pay for the device you almost get it all back in call credit.

What if i'm using a landline ?

If you cannot get Naked DSL, Downgrade your Telstra phone plan to the $20 a month basic deal. Then ensure all your outbound calls are made on the Voip. You will save squillions.

zigwah
29th April 2009, 09:01 PM
exactomundo ^^^^^^

AndyP
29th April 2009, 10:06 PM
So how's this working out AndeePee ?

We're thinking of using VOIP at home as wellWell, it's not really. I had trouble setting the device up (to incoming landline, outgoing VOIP), then never got back to it, so I'm still paying $30 line rental for $4 worth of phone calls a month. :roll:

If you cannot get Naked DSL, Downgrade your Telstra phone plan to the $20 a month basic deal. Then ensure all your outbound calls are made on the Voip. You will save squillions.Technically you're can't get ADSL if you are on the $20 plan, although if you don't tell them, they don't know.

markTHEblake
29th April 2009, 11:06 PM
Well, it's not really. I had trouble setting the device up (to incoming landline, outgoing VOIP), then never got back to it, so I'm still paying $30 line rental for $4 worth of phone calls a month. :roll:

Should be rather automatic (depending on the provider though).
one would have thought an engineer type bloke wouldnt have a problem.

Technically you're can't get ADSL if you are on the $20 plan, although if you don't tell them, they don't know.

i vaguely recall hearing something about that, but i beleive as long as you are billed by telstra for the local phone service its not an issue.

I am with Bigpond for ADSL as well, that could make a difference also.

AndyP
30th April 2009, 06:42 AM
Should be rather automatic (depending on the provider though).
one would have thought an engineer type bloke wouldnt have a problem.I got the device through mynetfone, but not the modem.
Following the limited instructions I could find just doesn't work.
I might have to give it another go soon.

i vaguely recall hearing something about that, but i beleive as long as you are billed by telstra for the local phone service its not an issue.

I am with Bigpond for ADSL as well, that could make a difference also.I thought it was in the terms and conditions that Telstra Budget Plan can not have ADSL with any provider, including themselves.

goughy
30th April 2009, 07:38 AM
We are planning on using VOIP up here when we move. I'll be working from home but don't want to pay for 2 phone lines through telstra!! So I figured the land line can be the work incoming call line and I'll use the VOIP for everything else, including private incoming calls. That way on Sundays at 6pm when some dork rings my work line for an inquiry I can just ignore it!

kev
30th April 2009, 11:13 AM
Internode have done a deal with Telstra allowing you to sign up to ADSL2 with Internode on any exchange where Telstra has DSLAMs.

Yeah, but the prices aren't that good. :cry:

BrisVegas
30th April 2009, 11:18 AM
yeah, i saw those deals too, but they're Telstra-bloated prices...

markTHEblake
30th April 2009, 12:23 PM
I got the device through mynetfone, but not the modem.
Following the limited instructions I could find just doesn't work.
I might have to give it another go soon.

Is it a linksys 21xx or a 31xx ? am pretty sure they are set up as a router out of the box, so you have to disable that. connect it directly to a computer, go to the control panel, and change it to Bridge mode.

if you have either one of those i can do some screen shots for ya.

I thought it was in the terms and conditions that Telstra Budget Plan can not have ADSL with any provider, including themselves.

well i definitely have it. from memory there is an exception, but i am not clear on that the exception is.

kev
30th April 2009, 06:21 PM
<snip>I thought it was in the terms and conditions that Telstra Budget Plan can not have ADSL with any provider, including themselves.

There was something about this on Whirlpool a year or so ago. From what I remember, the people doing the land line accounts aren't allowed to check the ADSL side of things and vice versa. Can't remember the exact wording, but do a search on Whirlpool for it.

EDIT: here it is (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=731531&ux=145146)

I have the Telstra Budget plan, and have Internode as my ISP.

markTHEblake
30th April 2009, 07:11 PM
Well done Kev, that makes it clear.

I remember when i downgraded my phone plan to the budget, the operator asked why, and i said VOIp, she said great, you will save money, and processed the change without hesitation.

AndyP
30th April 2009, 11:48 PM
There was something about this on Whirlpool a year or so ago. From what I remember, the people doing the land line accounts aren't allowed to check the ADSL side of things and vice versa. Can't remember the exact wording, but do a search on Whirlpool for it.

EDIT: here it is (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=731531&ux=145146)

I have the Telstra Budget plan, and have Internode as my ISP.
I said that in a roundabout way.

Technically you're can't get ADSL if you are on the $20 plan, although if you don't tell them, they don't know.

Is it a linksys 21xx or a 31xx ? am pretty sure they are set up as a router out of the box, so you have to disable that. connect it directly to a computer, go to the control panel, and change it to Bridge mode.

if you have either one of those i can do some screen shots for ya.

well i definitely have it. from memory there is an exception, but i am not clear on that the exception is.I'll try to remember to look, then again I probably put it in this thread. Of course, a screen shot of Windows won't be much help.

markTHEblake
1st May 2009, 08:38 AM
Of course, a screen shot of Windows won't be much help.
Windows?

I mean the control panel of the ATA (viewable from the web browser)

AndyP
1st May 2009, 11:27 AM
Aha! I know that it was preconfigured by mynetfone before I got it, but beyond that I don't remember. I can't even remember what I tried, as it's been many months.

kpac
11th June 2009, 11:32 AM
South east queensland ADSL2 providers on the cheap??? Looking for min 10G d-load, wanting to spend around $30 month. Any recommendations out there?
The numbers i've listed are a starting point only.

TPG any good?
Use to be with on the net previously, they were great, but bit pricey - surely some othe ISP has something to offer, anyone here know of any decent deals currently?

just
11th June 2009, 11:35 AM
South east queensland

You coming back?

kpac
11th June 2009, 11:50 AM
You coming back?

Melbourne is over-rated :wink:

BrisVegas
11th June 2009, 12:05 PM
South east queensland ADSL2 providers on the cheap??? Looking for min 10G d-load, wanting to spend around $30 month. Any recommendations out there?

sheesh, you don't want much? FWIW, I left TPG a while back as they had oversubscribed the service and the dropouts were becoming increasingly frequent. I'm with internode now and they're fine. If you can get onto a non-Telstra-dominated DSLAM you'll get more options for cheaper. I got limited choice on my exchange, so $50 a month for 10Gig at 1.5Mbps is about all I can get.

just
11th June 2009, 12:07 PM
Melbourne is over-rated :wink:

Anyone who told you that is a complete wanker.

kpac
11th June 2009, 12:13 PM
Anyone who told you that is a complete wanker.

It's not open to debate 8-)

Jarro
11th June 2009, 12:24 PM
sheesh, you don't want much? FWIW, I left TPG a while back as they had oversubscribed the service and the dropouts were becoming increasingly frequent. I'm with internode now and they're fine. If you can get onto a non-Telstra-dominated DSLAM you'll get more options for cheaper. I got limited choice on my exchange, so $50 a month for 10Gig at 1.5Mbps is about all I can get.

Dion, i'm on this plan too, and recently they increased the quota to 15gb.

poidda
11th June 2009, 12:24 PM
iiNet are good. Check out their naked DSL which saves you the 30 phone conection if you don't want it.

http://www.iinet.net.au/naked-dsl/plans.html

Just be warned that naked DSL includes uploads. not a big deal, but you need to be careful you don't leave your torrents open 24/7

kpac
11th June 2009, 12:50 PM
Cant get 'naked'.... who does the cheapest land line these days? Telstra use to have one for $15 but i cant find that anymore....

AndyP
11th June 2009, 12:53 PM
It's about $20 now, but you can't tell them that you have DSL.

Grunt
28th September 2009, 12:34 PM
? for those that are using internode. What plan are you all actually on? I cant get ADSL2 so am looking at ADSL. Is Easy Broadband the one you guys all got?

BrisVegas
28th September 2009, 12:50 PM
? for those that are using internode. What plan are you all actually on? I cant get ADSL2 so am looking at ADSL. Is Easy Broadband the one you guys all got?

yes.

Grunt
28th September 2009, 12:52 PM
Kool, am going to switch over soon. Limit is now 30Gb too

BrisVegas
28th September 2009, 12:53 PM
goodo.

Jarro
28th September 2009, 12:54 PM
Internode are pretty good.

I've never had a drama since switching to them from Telstra 8)

Grunt
28th September 2009, 01:08 PM
Did you get teh modem off them or just use the one Telstra supplied? Am filling in the online forms now.

Minor_Threat
28th September 2009, 01:08 PM
Im just on a 40G ADSL plan $69.95 / month with Internode.

Not sure if it is called "Easy Broadband" or not?

Minor_Threat
28th September 2009, 01:10 PM
I supplied by own modem mate..

Billion 7300G

Grunt
28th September 2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah I was hoping to do that as I have a Speedstream Moden and a Belkin Router. I can pass on it and hope it works or pay $149 for a new wireless router.

Minor_Threat
28th September 2009, 01:20 PM
Yeah I was hoping to do that as I have a Speedstream Moden and a Belkin Router. I can pass on it and hope it works or pay $149 for a new wireless router.That should work no problem. Do you know how to set this stuff up?

The advantage of getting their hardware is that they support it and will help you set it up if you dont know how. Otherwise they just wipe their hands of it..

Grunt
28th September 2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah I should be sweet, is easy to make a few changes to the setup of them. Unless Telstra has locked the Modem.

kev
28th September 2009, 01:33 PM

Be warned - this counts downloads AND uploads in your quota, so if you are doing "certain" things you get a double whammy on your quota.

I'm on the Home-1500-Advance $59.95 1500/256 kbps 20 Gbytes, which only counts downloads.

Jarro
28th September 2009, 01:34 PM
Good point kev :smt038

Grunt
28th September 2009, 01:36 PM
I was on a 12gig plan with Telstra and only a few times went over that limit. Was both up and down too.

Fishman Dan
28th September 2009, 01:49 PM

Compare your decision with TPG. Can't recommend them enough (though I haven't called their support for a long time). From what I can tell TPG are the cheapest in the market (not sure about ADSL, but 2+ they are unmatched).

Never drops out and speed is always good.

Grunt
28th September 2009, 01:55 PM
TPG told me they were unable to offer me a connection, same with AAPT, Iinet & a few others.

Fishman Dan
28th September 2009, 01:58 PM
TPG told me they were unable to offer me a connection, same with AAPT, Iinet & a few others.

Not sure why - if you currently have ADSL then you should be able to get it from a new supplier. Have you punched your number into Whirlpool to see what ISP's/plans are available?

Grunt
28th September 2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah did that and it came up a few different one. TPG said they could not do ADSL at my exchange, then checked to see if my number was ADSL2 compliant then they said sorry to that one too.

Courty
28th September 2009, 04:00 PM
Im just on a 40G ADSL plan $69.95 / month with Internode.

I'm on the same plan. Never had a drama with Internode in the 4 years I've been with them.

Jarro
28th September 2009, 05:28 PM
I have to say, 40Gb a month seems a bit excessive :-s

kev
28th September 2009, 05:36 PM

You can easily use up quite a bit of that VPNing to work. Trust me.

markTHEblake
28th September 2009, 05:47 PM
I can pass on it and hope it works or pay $149 for a new wireless router.

I hope when you fix airplanes you dont say "i hope it works"

fair dinkum, if you can fix planes you are somewhat technical and logical, there is no need to get another router or modem.

off top of my head all you will need to do is change the username and password to login. A complete muppet could manage that!

Grunt
28th September 2009, 06:02 PM
When I fix planes, it is more like it will do a trip, or it will get over the fence.

Favourite comment is when an apprentice asks if a tyre is worn out and the returning comment is that it does not drive to Melbourne.

Fishman Dan
28th September 2009, 07:58 PM

Funny economy in ISP's. I'm on an 80 gb plan (it was 25 gb 2 years ago for the same price). That's 40 on, 40 off peak - but the off-peak time is about 5.5 hours of the day! No chance I'll use the on peak limit, and zero of using my off peak quota.

The thing is there are very few internet users who can consistently bump against such high quota's every month - they become silly numbers that people (like me) throw into a conversation in some sort of internet cap pissing contest. Even if you manage to do it one month, it's very rare. I got close to being 'shaped' a couple of times with a 50 gb quota (25 gb peak), but never exceeded.

The only cost for me would be to downgrade to a lower plan, so for $49.95 I'm happy to stay put. The service is reliable, so as they say - if it ain't broken.....

The other major influence on download caps recently is online console gaming. Games via download, updates and online play data is starting to get very big - and the mainstream ISP's aren't keeping up with demand.

Grunt
28th September 2009, 08:04 PM
Well if internode keep up this good work I will be very impressed.

Just got an SMS that the service is activated at their end and will be switched over from Telstra within 3-5 Working days.

Minor_Threat
29th September 2009, 07:07 AM
Well if internode keep up this good work I will be very impressed.

Just got an SMS that the service is activated at their end and will be switched over from Telstra within 3-5 Working days.You wont regret it mate..

Jarro
29th September 2009, 07:55 AM
Good choice Grunt 8)

poidda
29th September 2009, 02:43 PM

I'm currently shaped at 64k for the rest of the week. 60Gb aint that excessive.

WBennett
29th September 2009, 04:40 PM
Anyone got any feedback on iinet naked ADSL2 and using panasonic handsets for voip?

poidda
29th September 2009, 04:43 PM
Anyone got any feedback on iinet naked ADSL2 and using panasonic handsets for voip?

Been with iiNet for a few years and naked for about the last 12 months or so. All good. Just be warned that the naked quota includes uploads.

voip is good, and it shouldn't make a difference what handset you use?!

WBennett
29th September 2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks Poidda

I'm not keen to replace my old netgear router and relatively new phone handsets...

I heard you lose phone for a week or so in transition to Iinet?

adlo
29th September 2009, 05:33 PM
That is in transition to naked wbennett.

I am with iinet (but just adsl+) and you don't lose your connection for long in the switch over.

I didn't realise uploads counted in naked dsl quotas. That's bad, m'kay.

Iain
29th September 2009, 08:17 PM
I didn't realise uploads counted in naked dsl quotas. That's bad, m'kay.

I think they give you slightly higher quota's to make up for it.

Just moved onto iinet naked from optarse and very happy with the move.

Grunt
1st October 2009, 05:41 AM
Transfer Complete.
3 days from Start to finish. :)
Seems faster than the old Telstra service too, not sure how that works as its the same phone connection and and is still only ADSL1.

Iain
1st October 2009, 05:59 AM
Transfer Complete.
3 days from Start to finish. :)
Seems faster than the old Telstra service too, not sure how that works as its the same phone connection and and is still only ADSL1.

Because Telstra and Optus limit their connections. I was on cable with optus, now with naked adsl+2 on iinet and the iinet is comfortably quicker.

BrisVegas
7th October 2009, 09:10 AM
I'm with Internode Easy Broadband and they've just bumped it up to 50Gig for $49.95. They count uploads and downloads, but that 50 Gig is anytime. Haven't had a single dropout with them in 6+ months.

kev
7th October 2009, 09:57 AM
They've upped all their plans, which is great! I now get an extra 10Gb for the same price :smt038

Grunt
7th October 2009, 10:08 AM
Cool I only just connected and now it is an even better deal.

gazgolf1
4th February 2012, 06:15 PM
I thought I would dredge this thread up to see if anyone is with Telstra Bigpong and how is the service?
I'm currently with iinet, have been for 6 years and they have been very good, stable connection, not real speedy but solid. Anyway Telstra have a good deal for cable internet at the moment which will save me about $25 per month, double my quota and supposedly increase my speed so its got me thinking. The other advantage would be a new modem to replace my 6 year old Belkin and the new one is Wi fi capable, great for our ipad.
So who's on what?

mike
4th February 2012, 06:22 PM
I'm with Telstra. 50 gig for about $70 p/m I think. No real complaints. Fast and reliable.

gazgolf1
4th February 2012, 06:25 PM
http://go.bigpond.com/offers/

T (http://go.bigpond.com/offers/)his is the offer I'm looking at.

mike
4th February 2012, 06:32 PM
I just checked. That looks like the one I'm on. ADSL 2+.

mike
4th February 2012, 06:35 PM
Telstra seem to have sorted their shit out since last time I dumped them.

Gaz, just be careful when/if you sign up. DON'T let them talk you into Bigpond Security. I'm positive I said no to it but was billed $10 a month for the crappiest antivirus known to man.

Iain
4th February 2012, 07:07 PM
I thought I would dredge this thread up to see if anyone is with Telstra Bigpong and how is the service?
I'm currently with iinet, have been for 6 years and they have been very good, stable connection, not real speedy but solid. Anyway Telstra have a good deal for cable internet at the moment which will save me about $25 per month, double my quota and supposedly increase my speed so its got me thinking. The other advantage would be a new modem to replace my 6 year old Belkin and the new one is Wi fi capable, great for our ipad.
So who's on what?

Really? I'm with iinet on naked adsl 2 and I think its quite quick, granted cable would be quicker, but I don't want to deal with Optus or Telstra.

PeteyD
4th February 2012, 07:22 PM
I went back to bogpond about 6 months ago with a combined pack thing. Happy with them so far. And no excess usage fees.

markTHEblake
5th February 2012, 09:44 AM
I am looking at options at the moment, main consideration is for the AFL because Bigpond customers will be able to see the Footy telecasts live, all games I beleive.
Not sure whether you need their Box yet, so just waiting for these details to be revealed.

(or was the new tv rights not starting until 2013?)

another advantage going with Telstra is that the copyright 'police' do not serve cease and desist notices on bigpond customers, or Bigpond just ignore them.

timah!
8th May 2012, 04:31 PM
Dredging this up again.

Am looking for a new ISP. Am currently on 3 mobile broadband and have been so for nearly 4 years. Currently $40 for 6gb (I think).

Have wanted to go to naked ADSL for a while but not really sure of what to look for, nor do I really have a huge budget (and will need to get SWMBO on board as well).

There seems to be a few of you who use iinet, but has anyone recently used either dodo or tpg?
Dodo has $60 unlimited including a modem, tpg has $60 for 200gb (although possibly no modem).
Iinet is $80 for 100gb including bob.

Ideally, I reckon $60 will be my max total, but I want to get some improvement on my current 6gb otherwise there's no point in changing.

BGH
8th May 2012, 04:48 PM
Tried this?

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=search

timah!
8th May 2012, 06:49 PM
Tried this?

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=search

Yes, hence how I know about the plans I've mentioned. But thanks.

BrisVegas
8th May 2012, 07:32 PM
I'm paying $60 for TPG unlimited adsl2 and home phone. It's only available on certain exchanges though. I'm very happy with it. Nice not having to worry about download limits.

timah!
8th May 2012, 07:44 PM
We don't have a home phone, so looking squarely at the naked dsl in that regard.

Am tempted to try the dodo deal, given that their customer service can't be any worse than 3's, surely?

BrisVegas
8th May 2012, 07:53 PM
I didn't want a home phone either really, but the price for the bundle was the same as naked adsl2 on it's own. It's handy having a home phone number for people to call you on.

Lobsta
8th May 2012, 08:57 PM
We're looking at getting ADSL also some time soon. The TPG unlimited offer sounds bloody hard to beat, but I'm just worried about the standard of the product at that price. Has anybody used these guys for internet service and what are your experiences?

Also, I've heard a few scary stories about some ISPs sending emails to people that partake in downloading files with a questionable copyright status. Has anybody had or confirmed the existence one of those emails or are they just rumors used to scare idiots? If so, what ISPs should one hypothetically avoid if they wished to download said files?

Lobby

oncewasagolfer
8th May 2012, 09:03 PM
We're looking at getting ADSL also some time soon. The TPG unlimited offer sounds bloody hard to beat, but I'm just worried about the standard of the product at that price. Has anybody used these guys for internet service and what are your experiences? Also, I've heard a few scary stories about some ISPs sending emails to people that partake in downloading files with a questionable copyright status. Has anybody had or confirmed the existence one of those emails or are they just rumors used to scare idiots? If so, what ISPs should one hypothetically avoid if they wished to download said files?Lobby It really depends by what means you are pecuring the files, if you are using torrents you may get an email depending on your ISP.

oncewasagolfer
8th May 2012, 09:07 PM
I have been with exetel for the past 5 years paying $48 for adsl 1 atm and looking to change ISP. I dont live in the city so can't get a lot of these cheap deals ideally I would like to go to naked adsl 2.

markTHEblake
8th May 2012, 09:17 PM
Lobby, no ISP proactively does that, they only pass on cease and desist notices sent to them by the acronym that I can't remember.

If you do not want to receive these go with Bigpond, word on the street is that they never receive these, the industry prefers to pick on smaller fish.

Peppas
8th May 2012, 09:18 PM
We're looking at getting ADSL also some time soon. The TPG unlimited offer sounds bloody hard to beat, but I'm just worried about the standard of the product at that price. Has anybody used these guys for internet service and what are your experiences?

Also, I've heard a few scary stories about some ISPs sending emails to people that partake in downloading files with a questionable copyright status. Has anybody had or confirmed the existence one of those emails or are they just rumors used to scare idiots? If so, what ISPs should one hypothetically avoid if they wished to download said files?

Lobby

I'm with TPG Lobby... the unlimited offer is def good but is unavailable for me. Not sure why. It is a 2 year contract though so I would be a bit wary about that, if you're settled then all good.

I've been with them for internet for over 10 years. Their customer service is pretty hit and miss. In terms of internet service it can be a little flaky at times. Whether it is because of them, Telstra, or my phone line (apparantly I have the oldest line in the street, it is actually copper, I think? which went out of style many years ago) or the fact that I am in the outskirts of their ADSL2+ coverage for my exchange I dunno. We were pretty close to changing to a different ISP last year but it seems to have improved (knock on wood) since then.

I've not recieved any emails from them in my 10 years for any activities. I have heard of some providers doing that though, but they are warnings, I don't think they can stop you?

Lobsta
8th May 2012, 09:37 PM
My work is with Telstra at the moment and over the last month or two, we have experienced more internet outages that I have experienced previous to that in my life so far. The technician that came out said that the problem stems from the fact that the area we are in (Carina) has some of the oldest infrastructure which should be completely ripped out and replaced. But because in three years time they are rolling the fibre optic network through, they would just rather fix up problems as they keep occurring as opposed to fixing the problem once for good. I guess it makes financial sense, but its bloody annoying when our wires just keep corroding away and we have to wait for them to continually fix them. We've had to get a 3G backup device just to stop us losing internet for days on end.

I'm still perplexed as to how the ISPs can tell what you are torrenting. My folks are with Telstra and they never got an email regarding anything that I may or may not have downloaded while living there, so there may be truth to the Bigpond being cool adage. Or it could be a case of the tiger repelling rock. Anybody know how these emails come about?

Peppas
8th May 2012, 09:40 PM
My work is with Telstra at the moment and over the last month or two, we have experienced more internet outages that I have experienced previous to that in my life so far. The technician that came out said that the problem stems from the fact that the area we are in (Carina) has some of the oldest infrastructure which should be completely ripped out and replaced. But because in three years time they are rolling the fibre optic network through, they would just rather fix up problems as they keep occurring as opposed to fixing the problem once for good. I guess it makes financial sense, but its bloody annoying when our wires just keep corroding away and we have to wait for them to continually fix them. We've had to get a 3G backup device just to stop us losing internet for days on end.

I'm still perplexed as to how the ISPs can tell what you are torrenting. My folks are with Telstra and they never got an email regarding anything that I may or may not have downloaded while living there, so there may be truth to the Bigpond being cool adage. Or it could be a case of the tiger repelling rock. Anybody know how these emails come about?

I would've thought Telstra would have the least downtime out of all ISPs, that is what you are paying a premium for? Could be wrong though.

Iain
9th May 2012, 08:04 AM
I'm with iinet naked, never had an email about what I download. Also never had had an outage in the 2-3 odd years I've been with them.

BroKar
9th May 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm with iinet naked, never had an email about what I download. Also never had had an outage in the 2-3 odd years I've been with them.

+1

Lobsta
9th May 2012, 08:28 PM
I would've thought Telstra would have the least downtime out of all ISPs, that is what you are paying a premium for? Could be wrong though.

I think the majority of the problems have been caused by physical degradation of the infrastructure, and since we are speaking directly to the guys that own it, instead of guys that just use it, I guess that is getting fixed quicker. But there is a few issues of late that have been telstra outage problems where they needed to reset lines and all sorts of other phrases that I don't understand.

What shits me the most is that they don't understand/care that when a pharmacy doesn't have internet connectivity, it impacts on our ability to safely dispense and reorder important medicines. Especially on a weekend, if we have no internet, we cannot order stock, and stock outages in a dispensary can cause major problems for people's health.

But the Indian call center knobs just brush us off as if i was ringing up and complaining because redtube stopped mid-fap.

So we had to go out and outlay a foot few hundy to upgrade to the 3G backup option. which I might add, telstra do not supply on their own, we (I) had to source the new adsl modem and 3G modem and make them work together. You'd think telstra could make some dough out of marketing that option out of a box, but nope.

Rant over.

Lobby

markTHEblake
9th May 2012, 08:38 PM
My work is with Telstra at the moment and over the last month or two, we have experienced more internet outages that I have experienced previous to that in my life so far.
From the description you just gave it does not matter which ISP you are with, except that you are better of being with Telstra as its easier to push for the resolutions.

I'm still perplexed as to how the ISPs can tell what you are torrenting
It doesnt matter, they dont want to know, they dont want to look. Because that places them in a really bad spot legally as would implicates them for condoning piracy. The ISP's own defense is that they cannot/will not/do not know what their customers are doing on the internet.

But they can tell if a person its torrenting by the traffic behaviour of the client and packet inspection of the data goes through the firewalls. They dont see what it is, but know what type of traffic it is, and therefore makes it easy to throttle or block it altogether. eg, many ISP's prioritise VOIP traffic, and de-priotorise torrents.

Anybody know how these emails come about?

The recording/copyright industries use legal firms to access torrents themselves and pick up the IP addresses that are uploading content. All IP addresses are trackable to the end user, so they simply write a cease and desist letter to the ISP, noting all the details and demand that they stop the end user "or else". Never saw an "or else" because they really cant spot a single user that keeps on doing this if their IP address changes. (tip, dont get a static IP address).

Note that they never (either cannot, or cant be bothered) go for anybody caught downloading, as I am pretty sure that act is not considered piracy, it is the uploaders that they are going for.

Lobsta
9th May 2012, 09:14 PM
From the description you just gave it does not matter which ISP you are with, except that you are better of being with Telstra as its easier to push for the resolutions.

It doesnt matter, they dont want to know, they dont want to look. Because that places them in a really bad spot legally as would implicates them for condoning piracy. The ISP's own defense is that they cannot/will not/do not know what their customers are doing on the internet.

But they can tell if a person its torrenting by the traffic behaviour of the client and packet inspection of the data goes through the firewalls. They dont see what it is, but know what type of traffic it is, and therefore makes it easy to throttle or block it altogether. eg, many ISP's prioritise VOIP traffic, and de-priotorise torrents.

The recording/copyright industries use legal firms to access torrents themselves and pick up the IP addresses that are uploading content. All IP addresses are trackable to the end user, so they simply write a cease and desist letter to the ISP, noting all the details and demand that they stop the end user "or else". Never saw an "or else" because they really cant spot a single user that keeps on doing this if their IP address changes. (tip, dont get a static IP address).

Note that they never (either cannot, or cant be bothered) go for anybody caught downloading, as I am pretty sure that act is not considered piracy, it is the uploaders that they are going for.

Thanks for the info oh clever and knowledgeable blakey!

Yeah, the most recent one or two of the issues we have had were infrastructure related and unavoidable ISP wise. But over the last 4-5 months we've averaged 1-2 outages a month that required telstra intervention. And really simple fixes on their end too, but it took ages on hold and half a day waiting for a call back for them to push the magic button.

Oh well, its an ISP. They'd probably go broke if they were able to quickly and effectively handle tech support calls. I love how they ask you to hold the line after calling to answer an anonymous survey about your experience.

*After being in a queue for 40 minutes, being disconnected, starting at the back of the line again and finally getting answered* "Sorry sir, I can see that you have a problem with your internet service coming from our end, but I do not know how to fix it. I will escalate this to a level 2 call and they will call you some time before 1pm tomorrow. (It was 10am). Please after this call, hold the line to answer some quick questions about your satisfaction with your experience with Telstra today". Then, they tried to transfer me to the survey robot, and the call got disconnected!

markTHEblake
9th May 2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the info oh clever and knowledgeable blakey!

Not clever, just worked for ISP's in the past and have dealt with these. I havent forgotten the clown that got pinged for downloading MS Office just 20 mins after he got connected to broadband wireless, and complained about getting the notice

Lobsta
9th May 2012, 09:31 PM
Not clever, just worked for ISP's in the past and have dealt with these. I havent forgotten the clown that got pinged for downloading MS Office just 20 mins after he got connected to broadband wireless, and complained about getting the notice

Lol. Who the hell would pirate MS Office?

Ronny
18th May 2012, 07:40 PM
Just upgraded my current Internode plan 30gb per month for $50 (yes its been a while since lsat upgrade) to naked ADSL 150gb download for $59 and month. Wife still wanted a home phone so added voip for $5 a month with $10 credit on voip calls. Still get to keep the current number and goodbye Telstra and your poxy line rental!!

Guy on the phone also gave me a few pointers to get a bit more speed out of the connection which seems to be working at the moment!

2 weeks time and Happy Days!!

Grunt
18th May 2012, 08:05 PM
Just upgraded my current Internode plan 30gb per month for $50 (yes its been a while since lsat upgrade) to naked ADSL 150gb download for $59 and month. Wife still wanted a home phone so added voip for $5 a month with $10 credit on voip calls. Still get to keep the current number and goodbye Telstra and your poxy line rental!!

Guy on the phone also gave me a few pointers to get a bit more speed out of the connection which seems to be working at the moment!

2 weeks time and Happy Days!!

Tried to do the same this week but got knocked back due to sub exchange. Stuck in the 90's with ADSL and best I get is 1500. Amazing that for 59.95 I only get 50Gb but could have got 150Gb if I connected to the ADSL internode line.

timah!
18th May 2012, 08:13 PM
Still thinking we'll try the Dodo unlimited...
Just need finance approval haha.

PeteyD
20th May 2012, 05:17 PM
changed to Helstra to get the bundle and the fact that only they offer ADSL 2 from the local exchange. Got an upgrade to that when i complained the connection was not fast enough for work! No issues with them, other than them being Helstra!

Lobsta
25th July 2012, 12:08 AM
Bumping this again. Getting real Internet might by in the near future for me, so am back into research mode. Don't need silly amounts of download. 50ish I could stick to if needed, really. Dodo looks best value, but I have seen some shitty reviews out there on them. Anybody on here had experience with them? Especially in the greater Brisbane area? Any other ISP advice? Ones to avoid, ones to look at? Looking at naked dsl, because I have no need for a home phone.

Lobby

Peppas
24th December 2015, 08:07 AM
So my new pad has NBN connection. What ISP crap should I look at? I was with TPG before, are they still good? Any advice?

Peppas
24th December 2015, 09:17 AM
Come on nerds :P

Peppas
24th December 2015, 12:41 PM
Stupid NBN

Johnny Canuck
25th December 2015, 09:09 PM
Stupid NBN

I was with iiNet and had no issues at all.

Peppas
28th December 2015, 02:16 PM
Sweet, well it took iiNet all of like 2hrs to hook up my service. BOOYAH!

So I am just waiting for the free modem to get to me, but will my old ADSL2+ modem work with this NBN shit crap?

Peppas
28th December 2015, 09:19 PM
So for future reference

No, my netgear N300 wireless adsl2+ modem router does not work with nbn :)