PDA

View Full Version : My latest driver - Alpha

davidp
26th October 2004, 05:49 PM
I've just bought an 8.5* Alpha C830.2 head from the States. It should be landing Monday or Tuesday in Ben's shop in Melbourne for a right royal shafting with a stiff flex SK Fiber Lite Rev II.

I've been wanting to try one of these for a long time, but couldn't find one at a decent price anywhere.

It's a big step up from the 400cc head that I'm using at the moment. (SK Fiber Lite Rev I You can't half tell I'm an SK Fiber fan). Should be an exciting experiment, one way or the other. :wink:

Also waiting on a TM 580XD retail head that I might be getting in. I'm not really an OEM guy anymore, but thought it might be interesting to try another TM product. Shaft undecided, but wouldn't mind having an NV or NVS stiff in it, depending on price.

Now, to find a hiding spot at home... :lol:

markTHEblake
26th October 2004, 06:36 PM
I think GCI is also selling this club, dunno how much for though

3oneday
26th October 2004, 07:43 PM

I always find the best place is my bag, she never looks there !!!! Just put a crappy woodcover on it :wink:

Pete

davidp
26th October 2004, 08:51 PM
I think GCI is also selling this club, dunno how much for though

Blakey, yes they do, but the head alone is over the $400 mark. :shock:
Their prices are dictated by the wholesale price as much as anything. I think Ross was surprised at how little I paid for the head.

davidp
26th October 2004, 08:54 PM

I always find the best place is my bag, she never looks there !!!! Just put a crappy woodcover on it :wink:

Pete

Pete, no room left in my bag. I think I'll stick a lampshade over it. Yeah, yeah that'll work... :lol:

Ona
26th October 2004, 09:15 PM
good stuff dave!

what made you choose the ol c830.2 over the newer heads?

markTHEblake
26th October 2004, 09:29 PM
Blakey, yes they do, but the head alone is over the $400 mark.

Yep, i thought that was the one he mentioned too me, when I asked what was the current glamour driver, though I didnt get to price, as soon as he mentined the CC, of 400 something thats an immediate turnoff for me. How the hell can i hit that off the deck?

He might have reccomended the SK Fibre shafts to me to for me new dr.... shhh.
But he put me off when he said they are cheaper than the alternative shafts bbut wouldnt knock the price down further.

davidp
26th October 2004, 10:16 PM
good stuff dave!

what made you choose the ol c830.2 over the newer heads?

Adam, that's exactly right. It's been out there a little while so I know it's solid and have seen a lot of good reviews for it. It's also not the latest and greatest, but it's still just as long. So, it's also good value for money.

Alpha heads are incredibly strong, so while there's been some issues with other thin faced ti heads cracking and caving, there has been little or no product issues with Alpha.

They have to make them strong, since they are used so much by Long Drivers with clubhead speeds around the 140 mph mark.

davidp
26th October 2004, 10:17 PM
Blakey, yes they do, but the head alone is over the $400 mark.

Yep, i thought that was the one he mentioned too me, when I asked what was the current glamour driver, though I didnt get to price, as soon as he mentined the CC, of 400 something thats an immediate turnoff for me. How the hell can i hit that off the deck?

He might have reccomended the SK Fibre shafts to me to for me new dr.... shhh.
But he put me off when he said they are cheaper than the alternative shafts bbut wouldnt knock the price down further.

A new dr....I hear you say?? The latest glamour driver from Alpha is the V2 425. It's all black (yes, the face as well). SK Fiber shafts are great shafts with very tight tolerances. ie. they come in within 2-3 CPM of stated specification. Some of the others such as a Harmon Tour Design might have variances of 12 - 15 CPM. SK Fiber is also great value for money.

macleod
27th October 2004, 01:12 PM
peter shaw at oxley quoted me $150 on the sk fibre rev ii, ouch....wish golfshafts.com.au had them :)

did GI quote a better price mark?

davidp
27th October 2004, 03:46 PM
No. I found a better price elsewhere.

Jarro
27th October 2004, 03:55 PM
davidp,

..i'd be keen to hear a review of the shaft after you've had it for a while.

Ben certainly rates them highly.

markTHEblake
27th October 2004, 07:58 PM
Mcleod the only price I askedd for was for the complete club. And he will only give me the same price on the SK fibre, Aldila NV or the Grafblue. despite each shaft being a diffrent price.

davidp
27th October 2004, 10:49 PM
davidp,

..i'd be keen to hear a review of the shaft after you've had it for a while.

Ben certainly rates them highly.

jarro: How about you have a try of it at North Lakes? It'll be it's first outing, so I have to reserve first hit of it at least. I was tossing up between the Lite Rev I and Lite II in my existing driver, but thought I needed a lower kickpoint. I was wrong. Since I use 3 inch tees, I get mucho height anyway.

...and then there's the new putter I'm taking out for a spin... :lol:

blakey: Strange pricing there. Rosscoe would have three different wholesale pricepoints in there: Aldila NV, SK Fiber, Graf Blue in that order.. :?:

markTHEblake
27th October 2004, 11:18 PM
he said SKlite was the cheapest. Surprised me but he wouldnt discount further for the cheaper shaft - He said that he already knocked enough off cos i am a good bloke.

Jarro
28th October 2004, 03:56 AM
jarro: How about you have a try of it at North Lakes? It'll be it's first outing, so I have to reserve first hit of it at least.

davidp,

.. sounds good 8)

we can all get there a little bit early and have a mini demo-day at the range :D

amanda
28th October 2004, 07:24 AM
we can all get there a little bit early and have a mini demo-day at the range :D
That sounds like a great idea! How early?

davidp
28th October 2004, 02:28 PM
That sounds like a great idea! How early?

I think 10:00 would be good. I'll be depending on a ride so I can't be certain I'll be there at that time.

davidp
11th November 2004, 11:11 AM
Just got my Alpha delivered. It's got a great deep face. Doesn't look anywhere near 460cc. More like 400 cc. 8)

I can't wait to hit it... :D

macleod
11th November 2004, 11:16 AM
Just got my Alpha delivered. It's got a great deep face. Doesn't look anywhere near 460cc. More like 400 cc. 8)

I can't wait to hit it... :D
you know you want to come to vic park..... :D :lol:

davidp
11th November 2004, 11:30 AM
I'd love to Mac, but I can't get there. The guys from work aren't going today, so I can't get a ride. :( Otherwise I would be there in a flash...

macleod
11th November 2004, 11:30 AM
no worries, is your work miles from the vic?

davidp
11th November 2004, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I work in the CBD, so getting there is a bitch..

macleod
11th November 2004, 11:37 AM
ah, i work in upper roma street, ACA building with all the freaky antennas on it.

i'll post before i trip out next time and i could easily swing by for a pickup

davidp
11th November 2004, 11:39 AM
Sounds good. Thanks Mac