PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning????

goughy
25th October 2004, 06:32 PM
We're looking at getting air conditioning. About a 2.5kw model split system is what we're after. Anyone have any recomendations? Also reading a lot about inverter systems. Are they the way to go?

Jarro
25th October 2004, 06:37 PM
Goughy ..

.. we had a 2.5Hp Fujitsu split system installed in the house when we had it built around 10 years ago.

The air-cond has had plenty of use, and so far.. no worries :smt023

BrisVegas
25th October 2004, 07:28 PM
Give Terry a buzz. He's an aircon guru. Might even be able to source and install it for you... :wink:

goughy
25th October 2004, 07:29 PM
Thx bris :wink:

Choppa
25th October 2004, 09:01 PM
We just got air conditioning installed at home. :smt023

A small unit in the bedroom only. Just in time too, so we spent all weekend in there. :smt110

markTHEblake
25th October 2004, 10:12 PM
I was shopping for aircon last year, found this great site that has all the info you need to know

http://www.coolmax.mx.com.au/refrig/index.htm

also being out west where you are you might want to consider an Evaporative cooling system. Works brilliant in hot dry areas, doesnt work in humid areas, and is cheaper on your electricity. some info on the site about that too.

Flowergirl
26th October 2004, 08:09 AM
We have Evaporative air con in our house - also in my shop. ( yes guys it does get hot in Victoria!!!) I love it cos you still have the windows open . It doesn't feel like you're closed up in a fridge. Not great in humid climates - but even when it's humid here it still works pretty good. :wink:

markTHEblake
26th October 2004, 11:26 AM
Windows Open hey. can i get one of those for my car?

gazgolf1
26th October 2004, 04:59 PM
We just picked up a Mitsubishi split system and could'nt be happier.
Nice and quiet inside and out and plenty of grunt,got $300 cashback as well.
I read a Choice magazine test before we bought and the Mitsy was on top followed by the Panasonic.
LG was crap according to the test. :x

AndyP
26th October 2004, 05:58 PM
W
I read a Choice magazine test before we bought ..
Gaz, I am just about to give my Choice membership. I find I don't even read the mags anymore, although I got plenty of use out of them previously.
How long have you been a member?
And how much value are you still getting out of them (considering they have a fair bit of info on the web?

Iain
26th October 2004, 06:17 PM
W
Gaz, I am just about to give my Choice membership. I find I don't even read the mags anymore, although I got plenty of use out of them previously.
And how much value are you still getting out of them (considering they have a fair bit of info on the web?
Just go to the library, as I believe they have them there, for use, but you just can't take them out.

You have to pay a membership of some sort even on the website, if you want the test and results etc.... :roll:

Iain

Courty
26th October 2004, 06:58 PM
Up here in the north, a/c is not a luxury, it's a necessity!
Our house is fully air-conditioned. We have 2 large Panasonic splits in the living areas (can't remember how many btu's), and Fujitsu room a/c's in all of the bedrooms. The only room that doesn't have a/c is the laundry. But I don't go in there, so it doesn't worry me... :wink: :lol:

goughy
26th October 2004, 07:01 PM
W

I'm subscribed to choice on the net only. Don't get the mags.

gazgolf1
26th October 2004, 07:10 PM
W

I don't get the mags either,I paid for that one test online.

AndyP
26th October 2004, 07:11 PM
I'm subscribed to choice on the net only. Don't get the mags.
I'm subscribed to both.

Found it more useful when I was buying stuff in preparation for the bub.

goughy
26th October 2004, 07:39 PM
After researching I think the 5kw size is closer to the mark. Getting confused because some places promote kw's and some by horsepower.

Anyway, it's most likely out of our price range now anyway. Was even being a bit ambitious with the lower powered ones.

mike
4th January 2014, 04:45 PM
Thinking of getting one of those portable air conditioners. Are they any good?

sms316
4th January 2014, 05:12 PM
Thinking of getting one of those portable air conditioners. Are they any good? Not particularly.

Hatchman
27th December 2015, 12:23 PM
What's the OzGolf word on good and crap brands of Split System Inverter Aircons?

A few at work insist Panasonic is one of the best and Fujitsu complete rubbish.

The Hatchery needs to replace the ducted swampy that's around 12yrs old and is useless when humid or over 35. Don't want to replace it with another swampy and ducted reverse cycle is way out of the budget ( big house around 15k 5yrs ago).
Thinking of a couple of split systems.

Daves
27th December 2015, 12:46 PM
We installed Mitsubishi Heavies years ago (2001 I think) and they are all still going strong, except one we have just replaced.

benno_r
27th December 2015, 12:58 PM
I am with Daves, i have installed air con into 2 houses so far.

Mitsi Heavy Industries very very good, though the 2nd house has Panasonic, and it's decent.

Make sure its Mitsi Heavy Industries, not Mitsi Electric, cause they are crap.

Hatchman
27th December 2015, 01:02 PM
Is there an easy way to tell by looking at units to know if it's MHI or just plain old Mitsi?

benno_r
27th December 2015, 01:06 PM
Branding is quite prominent. Less places will have the MHI gear, so just be wary.

goughy
27th December 2015, 01:09 PM
We had pana in our last house, and have 2 in our current house. Been very happy with them.

BenM
27th December 2015, 02:29 PM
We have Daikin here and it seems good. Was in the house when we bought it so I didn't choose it, but someone in the industry told me their gear is pricey but generally decent quality.

The Panasonic unit we had at my old work fell apart within about 6 months and had to be replaced under warranty, it was a big sucker too.

AlexMc
27th December 2015, 02:31 PM
We had Daikin in our old house (two split systems) and have a Daikin ducted system in our current house. Brilliant units - worth the extra cash.

davepuppies
27th December 2015, 06:11 PM
We had a Daiken 12.5kw ducted system installed in our 2 story town house. It works well, and is controlled from our iPhones.

Captain Nemo
27th December 2015, 06:47 PM
Another Daiken owner here, works a treat.
Very good mate if my old mans a big Daiken dealer back home, said to get a bigger model than needed, you'll never have a cooling issue!

mrbluu
27th December 2015, 09:16 PM
We got a Fujitsu split ( 3hp I think), had it for about 6-7years.....works well.

Rascal
27th December 2015, 10:30 PM
Have had Panasonic in the rental for about 3 years no issues touch wood

oldracer
28th December 2015, 02:06 AM
Bunnings Trade have a great special on Mitsu Heavy Ind units at the mo, we got quite a few of varying sizes and very happy

Jarro
28th December 2015, 06:35 PM
We got a Fujitsu split ( 3hp I think), had it for about 6-7years.....works well.
Another vote for the Fujitsu split systems here....

damoocow
28th December 2015, 08:03 PM
My dad always told us kids if we were hot to take our shirts off and if we were cold to put on a jumper. It's what I tell my own kids now. None of this Nancy air conditioner mumbo jumbo.

Hatchman
29th December 2015, 07:33 AM
My dad always told us kids if we were hot to take our shirts off and if we were cold to put on a jumper. It's what I tell my own kids now. None of this Nancy air conditioner mumbo jumbo.

I don't want to adopt that in the Hatchery. The only time I want to see the Minister's saggies and jiggly bits is on the work bench [emoji3]

Jazz18
29th December 2015, 08:38 AM
I've heard good things about the MHI units as well. Daikon are also supposed to be very good but BenM is right that they are pricey. I've got an Actron. They primarily do ducted (high quality ducted systems I believe) but have started doing split systems in the last few years. I have a split system Actron in my house and have been quite happy.

Dotty
29th December 2015, 08:41 AM
I've got the same model here ... HTFU 1970.

When it's hot in the morning, close the blinds to keep the heat out. Open them and the windows at night to let the cool breeze in.

When it's hot and have guests to entertain, including baking something in the oven, then go the club and use their aircon (and let their masterchef wannabe swelter in their kitchen).

BenM
29th December 2015, 03:21 PM
We used to get told that too but it only goes so far. We have two split systems and don't use them at all in summer even when it tops 30 degrees (don't laugh, it does happen) but it does get a little chilly down my way during winter.

simmsy
29th December 2015, 03:56 PM
Yep got Daiken units here too.
I use the swampy on your everyday summer days then when it gets into the 40's or humidity over 40% I turn the splitys on. It's a good mix without spending $15k on RC