PDA

View Full Version : There's no place like home!

Flowergirl
25th October 2004, 03:28 PM
Not much golf for me on the weekend. After living in the same home for more than 18 years, husband John & I thought it was time for a move. We spent all weekend looking at houses both on the internet and at open inspections. Saw lots of dumps :cry: some great ones but too pricey - too big - no room for dog - too small - and so on. Finally found a house I really liked. Had all the features I was looking for and felt "homey". Then John points out it was very much the same as what we already have!

So we are staying where we are - but I'm getting a new kitchen. :lol: As Dorothy said to Toto - There's no place like home :wink:

markTHEblake
25th October 2004, 11:39 PM
Good decision FG. release some of that equity that has been realised with the last few years excitement.

I am shopping for a house now, and am experiencing exactly the same thing you are. People asking 100k more than what mine is worth for something thats no different to my own.

There is still a lot of people (sellers) out there who are trying to sell their homes at last years prices. These are the ones that are saying "Ok if i dont get what i am asking for, then i wont sell, I dont care" - they are stuffing up the market place.

Then you have the Homes just listed on the market this week, the Real Estate agent has baited them with a high sale value that is impossible to acheive, to get the exclusive listing. He tells the client that the best chance of a sale is within 2 weeks, which is crap because the asking price is too high, and nobody but an idiot will buy.

All houses sell, when they dont its becuase the price is too high (obvious aint it)

The house doesnt sell within 2 weeks, the agent then starts working on bringing the price down, because ''the market is telling us the price is too high".

If the agent is a good one the seller is ripe for dropping his price about 6 weeks after listing the property, for a couple of reasons.
1. Seller has already found something else to buy - becuase the agent told him his house would be sold within 2 weeks
2. The exclusive listing for the agent is ending soon so he really starts to go to work on the seller - not the buyers.

in real estate its always the seller who is the sucker - so if you do some good research, you can get some fabulous deals. Start by going to www.jenman.com and read everything - you will save yourself tens of thousands of dollars.

davidp
25th October 2004, 11:44 PM
Blakey,

Very good and timely advice. I'm thinking of selling our house soon. Need more room. But, to get something bigger and affordable means moving next to The Hills down in Jimboomba. :(

Fishman Dan
26th October 2004, 08:52 AM
FG, nice post. We bought our unit in Sydney about 3 years ago, it's not much but it's home. Traditionally i can't wait to move into a HOUSE, but our home is our home (thanks go to The Castle).

Perhaps the way we were brought up (the 2 mums are both super cooks) but i personally think that the kitchen is the centre-piece of any home, and a new one is often what an old house requires.

markTHEblake
26th October 2004, 12:25 PM
David, good choice at Jimboomba, there is some very nice homes on 1 acre going off for $310,000-ish and a pretty good course nearby. I would live there myself if it wasnt such a long trip to the GC, but its a quick drive into brisbane.

And if you need any help getting financed into your home down there or anywhere for that matter give me a hoy! :-)