PDA

View Full Version : Camden Lakeside....housing estate

cobra
10th April 2008, 07:08 PM
the local paper had an article and you can see a proposed plan on the camden council website showing a planned housing estate through the lakeside course
the new track will be a par of 68 reduced from 72 if the plan is right
the front nine slightly changes
453443444=35 but it is the back nine that gets chopped up
343343544=33
practise fairway and green area are also gone
its a pity as the course is regularly rated highly
I would question whether serious golfers would spend large amounts of money and end up with a home track of only 68
sad to see

Grunt
10th April 2008, 07:25 PM
This is not the Housing development planned for Mac Grange is it?

cobra
10th April 2008, 07:30 PM
no... the plan limits the housing to the lakeside property only
but there are major housing estates going in from st gregs down to camden valley golf course and across the road taking out the oran park raceway land then right through to bringelly / penrith
massive poulation boost over 10-15 years
might pay to keep club membership as it will be in great demand in years to come

Grunt
10th April 2008, 07:31 PM
Where r u a member Cobra? I was at Mac Grange till this year.

cobra
10th April 2008, 07:33 PM
studley
love it
all the changes are making it tough

Grunt
10th April 2008, 07:39 PM
Will have to catch up for a game, I am up the road at Prestons.

sms316
10th April 2008, 07:39 PM
Personally never really rated CL anyway. Always put it in the OK but not great category. Making it par 68 will kill the joint.

Grunt
10th April 2008, 07:43 PM
Personally never really rated CL anyway. Always put it in the OK but not great category. Making it par 68 will kill the joint.

Sure would, Jono would lose his driving range too. Wonder if Peter Thomson knew something of this before he bid for the contract to redevelop Camden Valley. It looked weird for a guy to build a course next door to one of his so called greats.

cobra
10th April 2008, 07:49 PM
Sure would, Jono would lose his driving range too. Wonder if Peter Thomson knew something of this before he bid for the contract to redevelop Camden Valley. It looked weird for a guy to build a course next door to one of his so called greats.
grunt
pretty much restricted to playing sat comps only
where are u a member ?
what is the talk with camden valley
i believe they are going to loose holes 11 and 12 due to road widening on the camden valley way
they have plenty of land blow the big dam on 2
what about the el caballo site is that still a goer for extensions ?

Grunt
10th April 2008, 07:51 PM
Just a country member of Bathurst now. Camden Valley I have heard are getting hte third nine rebuilt and getting another 9 built. Not sure if it is on the El Caballo site or not. Have heard they now own it though.

markTHEblake
10th April 2008, 07:56 PM
I would question whether serious golfers would spend large amounts of money and end up with a home track of only 68
sad to see

wouldnt bother me, its still a golf course and probably harder.

Lots of golf courses are facing this issue with Govts taking land off them - we are gunna have to get used to it. the alternative is to sell out to developers.

Scottt
10th April 2008, 07:57 PM
this sort of thing breaks my heart. A great golf course gone to waste.

Grunt
10th April 2008, 08:05 PM
Found all the details of the redevelopment

http://www.camden.nsw.gov.au/page/matters_on_exhibition.html

http://www.camden.nsw.gov.au/files/development/camden_lakeside_exhibition/camden_lakeside_master_plan.pdf

Grunt
10th April 2008, 08:08 PM
http://www.citta.com.au/pages/projects/camden_lakeside.php

jimandr
10th April 2008, 09:30 PM
Cobra may not know, but most other readers will know that I am a long-term member of Camden Valley. I don't follow the rumoured redevelopment of Camden Valley very closely, but this information suggests I had better inform myself a bit better.

Thanks to Grunt for the google-powered research.

The Master Plan map document is very interesting, and if it all goes ahead it'll be a bit of a disaster for the area unless the Camden Valley Way becomes a six lane highway before the first house is built. Traffic is bad now, and I don't know where all the cars from these houses, and the Oran Park development, will go.

Camden Valley Golf Course, for those who don't know, is virtually adjoining the southern edge of the map, and Macarthur Grange is not far from the eastern edge.

I won't have an enormous degree of sadness if Lakeside changes, but I will observe that golf course frontage housing never improves the ambience of a golfing environment.

Grunt isn't far off with his understanding of the Camden Valley plan. The strong rumour is that 10, 11 and 12 will disappear to accomodate the widened road, and the third nine will be part of a housing estate that will also eat up El Caballo Blanco and also incorporate new golf holes.

I might have a closer look at the Council website and see if they have more detail.

mikezone13
10th April 2008, 09:50 PM
I thought Camden Lakeside was a pretty decent track, will be sad to see it become ruled by housing developments and become less of a real golf course.